Non-motoring > Post Rated Offensive Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 32

Post Rated Offensive - Duncan
Is it time we dropped the 'Post rated offensive' button at the bottom of a post?

I think it is.

It seems to me to be a cover-up for posters who don't have the energy or confidence to write a reply to a post with which they disagree. It's a cowards or lazy persons way out.

So how about it, mods and/or Khoosys? Or at least let us have a debate about it. Who knows, we might get more people posting, rather than simply clicking a button!
 Post Rated Offensive - R.P.
Debate away....!
 Post Rated Offensive - Roger.
I thought about rating the opening post as offensive! ;-)
 Post Rated Offensive - L'escargot
>> I thought about rating the opening post as offensive! ;-)
>>

Somebody has done!
 Post Rated Offensive - John H
>> Somebody has done!
>>

It was the resident clown.
Last edited by: John H on Sat 23 Jun 12 at 11:53
 Post Rated Offensive - Dog
:-)
 Post Rated Offensive - Bromptonaut
Rob/Stephen,

Am i right in thinking the original intention was for the green thumb to be paired with a red thumb down but that forumers objected to the implication of a league table?

If that's right than the 'mark offensive' button has become a proxy for the thumb down and perhaps we should re-visit the original discussion.

There probably does need to be same way of flagging posts offensive (though not necessarily with a glum face). On the other hand except a few individual examples of racism I've never had cause to use it for it's real purpose.
 Post Rated Offensive - Duncan
>> There probably does need to be same way of flagging posts offensive (though not necessarily
>> with a glum face). On the other hand except a few individual examples of racism
>> I've never had cause to use it for it's real purpose.
>>

If you consider a post to be offensive, then why not post a reply saying as much?

If you think it is seriously offensive then an email to the mods and/or the owner of the site.
 Post Rated Offensive - Bromptonaut
>> If you consider a post to be offensive, then why not post a reply saying
>> as much?
>>
>> If you think it is seriously offensive then an email to the mods and/or the
>> owner of the site.

Both? An post offensive button should 'fast track' the concern to the mods in a way an email might not.
 Post Rated Offensive - VxFan
>> If you think it is seriously offensive then an email to the mods and/or the owner of the site.

The other button (report message) does that - saves you having to look up our email addresses
>> Is it time we dropped the 'Post rated offensive' button at the bottom of a
>> post?

I think it's a good idea. However, I'm just surprised at how easily some pople are offended. After all, we're mostly all anonymous strangers to one another. My outlook on life is "sticks and stones" etc, even when something which some people would be offended by is said to my face.
 Post Rated Offensive - Pat
I agree with the OP entirely and think if it is to remain, it should be impossible to mark a post as offensive without posting a public comment as to why, along with your identity.

Pat
>> it should be impossible to mark a post as offensive without posting a public comment as to why, along with your identity<<

Like what I did.

:-)
 Post Rated Offensive - Cliff Pope
There's a big distinction between finding something personally offensive and something that is generally unacceptable to society at large.

The latter should be drawn to the attention of the moderators and if they agree with the complaint, removed.
But I don't do personal offence. Sensitive people shouldn't engage on a public debating forum.
 Post Rated Offensive - Armel Coussine
>> Sensitive people shouldn't engage on a public debating forum.

Oh I say.

You've upset me now.
 Post Rated Offensive - Manatee
>> Sensitive people shouldn't engage on a public debating forum.
>>

I've given you a red face for that one.

Thugs shouldn't be allowed on a public debating forum.
 Post Rated Offensive - Manatee
I seem to have got an anonymous red face for issuing a red face.

Did I need to say Cliff is not a thug?
 Post Rated Offensive - Cliff Pope
>> I seem to have got an anonymous red face for issuing a red face.
>>
>> Did I need to say Cliff is not a thug?
>>

As a member of the thug community I'd like to say I resent ......
 Post Rated Offensive - John H
Lots of my posts get marked as offensive. I wonder whether it is because the poster does not have the confidence to debate the issue with me. Likely not - more likely that my forthright opinions do really offend some if not all of the sensitive souls.

It is a fact that most of us regulars on here are depressives, who find comfort in posting on a forum rather than interacting face to face in a pub. Depressives take umbrage readily.

I am sure neither Zero nor I am rude to people when talking to them face to face.

((It is a fact that most of us regulars on here are depressives))

= = = > LOL < = = =

Back to the OP, what I'd like to see is a simple 'click to rate' green arrow up / red arrow down, like they have on Iffy's papyrus.
 Post Rated Offensive - Focusless
>> more likely that my forthright opinions do really offend some if not all of the
>> sensitive souls.

Sometimes it's the way something is said, rather than what is said, that people find offensive.
>> Sometimes it's the way something is said, rather than what is said, that people find
>> offensive.
>>

It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it

And that's what gets results!

;-)

tinyurl.com/6rry9m2
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 23 Jun 12 at 13:24
 Post Rated Offensive - Zero

>> I am sure neither Zero nor I am rude to people when talking to them
>> face to face.

Speak for yourself.
 Post Rated Offensive - devonite
Well there has to be one! so it may as well be me! - I LIKE the red Scowly`s! - they let you know when you have just made a slightly "overmark" comment, right through to being downright offensive to most of the forum. If anyone is really upset by a particular comment, they always have the mod route and the "right" to post a retaliation. Simply posting a "red scowley" allows you to draw attention to the fact quietly the post/subject is touchy, without anyone making a full-blown song and dance about it. Like anything else, used right its ok.
>> Well there has to be one! so it may as well be me! - I
>> LIKE the red Scowly`s! - they let you know when you have just made a
>> slightly "overmark" comment, right through to being downright offensive to most of the forum.

Deviating slightly (but in a similar vein) what I'd like to see introduced is that when a post is deleted without warning, the poster should receive an email telling them why it had been deleted and who deleted it.

Just lately I've had a few deleted without warning and without subsequent explanation. Wrong side of the bed on someone's part springs to mind.
 Post Rated Offensive - smokie
It's been ages since I deleted anything, can't speak for Dave or RP, but we used to have a policy of (mostly) replacing the offensive post with a few words as to why it was deleted. Sure it wasn't "User error"?
Strange you should mention "magically" disappearing posts! - I also have "mis-laid" a few without ryhme or reason lately, the last one (in the motorsports thread) simply pointed out how well Sauber were doing since they teamed-up with The European Champions 2012, Chelsea!

Only reason I could think of, none of the "Mods" are Chelsea fans! - is that the it? or is there a darker reason??
 Post Rated Offensive - R.P.
We seemed to be deleting or removing or hiding stuff daily on the old site - rare event here, some posters ask us to remove stuff now and again and that's about it.
 Post Rated Offensive - Westpig
I'm another one that would like a red thumb down button.

I often use the offensive button as a red thumb down button, because that's all there is.

There has been the odd occasion when i've filled in an offensive report, so to speak, but it's most rare.
>> the last one (in the motorsports thread) simply pointed out how well Sauber were doing since they teamed-up with The European Champions 2012, Chelsea!
>> Only reason I could think of, none of the "Mods" are Chelsea fans! - is that the it? or is there a darker reason??

I remember that one, and I'll put my hands up to its disappearance. In that particular thread (and a handful of others) there is a "Please Note" message right at the start of the thread asking that if you start a new discussion in the thread you don't tag it onto the last one in the thread, but reply to the topmost one, along with changing the default subject header.

Moving a post within a thread isn't easy, and it ended up getting lost somewhere in cyberspace. That is why we ask if you can post it in the correct place to prevent the risk of it getting lost when we do a bit of tidying up.

Apart from that, just like PU and Smokie, I've rarely deleted anything since leaving the other ship. Only time I might is accidentally (as above), or it contains swearing that I can't be bothered editing.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 23 Jun 12 at 20:24
>>there is a "Please Note" message right at the start of the thread

Ah! so that was it! -- you`re right I did just "tag" it on the end like I do for most threads, - I forgot that in multi-subject threads to reply to the first! - my fault then entirely! nice to solve the riddle! - Thanks! ;-)
Just lost a couple of more posts in cyberspace due to the "please note" message being ignored. Sorry Mike Hammond, and Dog - I think they were your posts.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 24 Jun 12 at 18:05
/(*_*)
Latest Forum Posts