Non-motoring > Bradford. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 31

Bradford. - Dutchie
We go to exotic places once in a while.>;) We visited Bradford me and my better halve.A nice day in the Medium Centre well worth a visit.Plenty to see and lots to take in.We also went to see a film in the center there are three picture houses in the building.Parking the car was a bit of a struggle only three disability bays.We were allowed to park on the taxi stand which was kind of the staff.Our hotel was close to a big park and I had a good natter with two eldery Pakistani gentleman.They talked about their lives and history.
 Bradford. - Dog
>>.Our hotel was close to a big park and I had a good natter with two eldery Pakistani gentleman<<

Did you manage to acquire any Tosh Valley charas at all Dutchie?
 Bradford. - Iffy
Pal of mine and his missus have regular weekends away in Bradford.

He rates it highly.

Bradford. - Manatee
>> Pal of mine and his missus have regular weekends away in Bradford.
>>
>> He rates it highly.

Curry fiend, is he?
 Bradford. - MD
The uninsured car capital of the UK apparently.
 Bradford. - Meldrew
And known recently for other crimes. tinyurl.com/8ax9ktz
Wouldn't bother me to go there though
 Bradford. - Iffy
...Curry fiend, is he?...

Dunno, but I believe there's a lot to see and do in the surrounding area for the car driving tourist.

Bradford. - R.P.
I came back from Harrogate via Bradford once doing a Sat Nav random tour....some nice roads..
 Bradford. - Dutchie
Sorry you lost me Dog,is that a special cousine by any change.>;) West Yorkshire different accent same habits.
 Bradford. - PhilW
Mentioned it before I think, but when in Bradford you should not miss
Saltaire and Salts Mill
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltaire
www.saltsmill.org.uk/
 Bradford. - Dog
>>is that a special cousine by any change<<

I suppose you could say that Dutchie - I've put it in a cake before now, and made a tea of it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charas

;-}
 Bradford. - rtj70
I've done some work in Bradford - apparently the area of the office is in the red light district! I tended to get there quite early to get a parking space though so didn't get approached.
 Bradford. - ....
Brings back memories. A night of karting followed by a ruby on Lumb Lane. Basic formica tables, bring your own bottle from the pub across the road.
 Bradford. - Bigtee
Most of the places i work at are near the red light area or in it!! :-( some right mingers.

Bradford what a hole it's 8 miles up the road approx some nice old houses quite large, just the area now with young huge chip on there shoulders Asian male's.
 Bradford. - Manatee
>>Bradford what a hole

Greater Bradford is pretty varied. Back in Yorkshire a few weeks ago, my elderly aunt and uncle suggested a trip to Bingley Five Rise on the Leeds Liverpool canal for a walk down the locks, not much of a walk for us but enough for them. Very pleasant on a sunny afternoon, if a bit overrun with gongoozlers like us. Then Taylor's Dark Mild and Best Bitter at the Brown Cow on Ireland Bridge.

There's a lot within reach, even excepting the Dales.

Those with a special affinity could join the Idle Working Men's Club

www.idleworkingmensclub.co.uk/sub.htm
 Bradford. - Dave_
Motoring link:

A very successful Bradford business, even if not to the taste of everyone here:

www.kahndesign.com/kahndesign/
 Bradford. - Runfer D'Hills
A guy I know decided to help a friend move a tank full of tropical fish across Birmingham. His pal didn't have a suitable car so they loaded the large-ish tank, full of fish and water into the back of his estate car. Not a wonderful plan as it soon became apparent that any sudden movement caused the tank to slosh its contents over the side. It quickly occured to him that he would have to drive very very slowly and carefully to avoid disaster.

Anyway, the shortest route to the intended destination involved driving through Birmingham's red light district and my hugely embarrassed friend got stopped by the police as he was crawling along at less than 20mph. With much hilarity they did let him go when he showed them the fish tank !
 Bradford. - sajid
i just been to bradford leeds airport, to drop my brother in law, first the drive to the airport took me to the a roads, all country side roads and with winding roads,making the drive pleasant, and more relaxing.

too bad its a jazz i am driving
 Bradford. - devonite
Don`t watch the TV program"Making Bradford British"! - I made that mistake, and after 5mins my blood-pressure was through the roof, and after 10, I threw my slippers at the telly and turned over!!
 Bradford. - zookeeper
multicultalism...who,d of thunk it?
 Bradford. - legacylad
I was born in Bradford, top of Whetley Hill, Manningham district. Moved from there to Bingley when I was 14, but continued working on Sunbridge Road near the city centre until I was 30.
Sad to say Bradford is the worst city I have ever visited anywhere in the world, although I have not been to Kandahar. During the 60's the planners allowed the heart to be ripped out of the city, and in more recent times a retail consortium has left a giant hole in the centre when they pulled out.
The only redeeming feature is the NMPFT...National Museum for Photography, Film & TV. Now renamed the National Media Centre, which includes an IMAX, Pictureville & Cubby Brocolli cinemas. I used to be a 'Friend of Film' and visit weekly until they messed around with the membership conditions.
Leeds has sucked the life out of Bradford and it will never recover. Two weeks ago I attended a screening of The Kings Speech in the main council chamber at City Hall. Scenes from the film were shot at Odsal stadium & Elland Road. There were barely three dozen people present, which was six times the number of people we saw when we walked back across town to our car at 10pm. Amazingly, or maybe not so, there are lots of Bradfordians now living in the upper Ribble valley, and every year we have a coach trip back to the drinking haunts of our youth. Its almost enough to make you weep.
Why anyone would go there for pleasure heaven only knows.
 Bradford. - Manatee
I worked in the Nat West on Hustlergate in 1973/4. Mostly business customers, mostly in the woollen textile trades, and mostly now defunct. Quite a few were in trouble in 1973.
 Bradford. - legacylad
1973. The year I left school to work on Sunbridge Road.
I used to drink with one of the directors of Intasun at my Dales local, the large tour company set up around that time. He also was part of the Bradford exodus.
 Bradford. - Manatee
You'll remember Brown and Muff's then.

wyorksarchivestreasures.weebly.com/brown-muff-and-co-ltd.html
 Bradford. - Fullchat
Was born in Bradford myself. Parents lived at Baildon but moved to E.Yorks when I was small. Grandparents lived on Toller Lane until their passing. Remember as a child doing regular visits to Grandparents travelling through the Asian communities in Manningham. After some recent family tree constructing by a family member found we actually have a family plot in a graveyard in Bradford not that there will be any more going in it.
 Bradford. - legacylad
It was actually called Brown Muffs without the 'and'.School boy giggles.
I had a good pal in Toller Lane scouts whose parents owned Carter Sports opposite BM's. Now a fast food takeaway or cheque casher place.
 Bradford. - Bromptonaut
>> It was actually called Brown Muffs without the 'and'.School boy giggles.
>>

The family name involved was actually Maufe shortened to Muff so as not to look foreign. Now part of House of Fraser along with its Leeds alter-ego Schofields.
 Bradford. - Manatee
>> It was actually called Brown Muffs

Yes I noticed. But my mother and everybody else in the family always said "Brown and Muffs". Maybe they didn't in Bradford - we had our own way of doing things in Brighouse.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 26 Jun 12 at 08:58
 Bradford. - L'escargot
I think locals pronounce it Bratford.
 Bradford. - legacylad
No L'es, many Bradfordians call it either Blackford or Bradistan.
 Bradford. - Pat
Salt of the earth folk from Bradford...never afraid to call a spade a spade;)

Pat
 Bradford. - Manatee
>> I think locals pronounce it Bratford.

Almost. The t is a glottal stop, so not actually there.It's the bit of Yorkshire speech that usually gives away non-native actors, who often say "Ahm goin' to pub" rather than "Ahm goin' to (t) pub"
Latest Forum Posts