Non-motoring > Any Italian Speakers? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 16

Any Italian Speakers? - Duncan
We are off to Venice for a week soon. One of the family has certain food allergies, as a result of which needs to eat gluten free foods and use soya milk in tea.

Does anyone know the Italian words/phrases for:-

Soya
Gluten
Gluten-free

TIA
 Any Italian Speakers? - Clk Sec
1. Soia
2. Glutine
3. Glutine-Libero

Courtesy of Yahoo Babel Fish.
 Any Italian Speakers? - Clk Sec
Although a further search shows 3. as Senza Glutine.

My week in Italy last year taught me little!
 Any Italian Speakers? - Zero
Oh dear, someone who needs a gluten free diet going to the home of pasta.
 Any Italian Speakers? - CGNorwich
Are you a member of the Coeliac society? Two of my family are Coeliacs and I have found the society invaluable. Their site provides a wealth of information and they can provide transalations for most countries. Here is their leaflet for advice to travellers:

www.coeliac.org.uk/sites/coeliac-test/files/Going_on_Holiday.pdf

Any Italian Speakers? - Duncan
The enquiry is actually for my DIL. She is pretty well sorted, I wanted to be prepared when wandering around the supermarche peering at the labels.

I do have some Italian and I have discovered the 'translate' on a toolbar.

Thanks for the help.
 Any Italian Speakers? - L'escargot
I haven't tried it, but I assume this English to Italian translator works. translation.babylon.com/English/to-Italian
 Any Italian Speakers? - Bellboy
i love going in supermarkets and trying to work out whats in the packets in a foreign country
last acquisition was some popcorn but we cant work out how long to put it in the microwave for without it exploding
just eat salads while there? im not a salad eating monkey at all but the produce over there is just so scrummy it reminds me of my childhood before ddt and orange agents were added for extra flavour
 Any Italian Speakers? - FocalPoint
I can't speak for its ability to handle Italian, but I sometimes have reason to translate from Polish to English and have found the Google translator excellent.

translate.google.com
 Any Italian Speakers? - spamcan61
>> i love going in supermarkets and trying to work out whats in the packets in
>> a foreign country

Me too!, my favourite was many moons ago when I was working in Finland ( Finnish is a very difficult language to guess words), I bought a packet of what I thought were tissues in the supermarket, turned out they were sanitary towels. Thought the girl on the till gave me a funny look ;-).
 Any Italian Speakers? - Badwolf
I was once staying with a friend of mine in Boulogne Billancourt, a suburb of Paris. I was heading back to his flat after a heavy day's sight-seeing and had agreed to pick up stuff for tea (spag bol) from the local Carrefour.

My mind was distracted by the thought of an ice-cold glass of Normandy's finest and so I was fairly breezing around the supermarket, giving scant regard to what I was putting in the basket.

Anyhoo, I got back to the flat and knocked up the old spag bol ready for when my friend got in from work. We tucked in and both commented that the meat tasted off. I went to the bin to get the discarded mince packet so that I could check the sell-by date and noticed a hither-to unseen word on the label. The word was 'cheval'. I know pay closer attention to what I'm buying when in foreign countries.
 Any Italian Speakers? - Zero
Hmm Shergar Burger, my favourite.
 Any Italian Speakers? - L'escargot
>> last acquisition was some popcorn but we cant work out how long to put it
>> in the microwave for without it exploding

allrecipes.com/recipe/microwave-popcorn/detail.aspx
 Any Italian Speakers? - Armel Coussine
Late at night and somewhat the worse for wear, I once found in the fridge what looked like a packet of rough country pate. I wasn't wearing my reading spectacles and feeling a bit hungry opened it and put some on a piece of bread and butter.

Fortunately I wasn't all that much the worse for wear, so one mouthful told me that it was actually some kind of gourmet cat food.

.... Miaow!
 Any Italian Speakers? - Telb
I recommend this site for translations

tinyurl.com/ya35nh5

Any Italian Speakers? - FocalPoint
"Translation powered by Google," it says.
 Any Italian Speakers? - Telb
Ah, but put the same thing into this and into Google Translate and you get different results.
Latest Forum Posts