Non-motoring > ebay communications Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 13

ebay communications - Focusless
I'm selling something on ebay at the moment and just received an email from someone using a bit of txtspk - "ur" for "your" and "u" for "you". Being a bit of an old dog who finds it hard to learn new tricks I prefer to see full words in emails, but it wasn't a big deal - it was pretty clear what he was saying.

But it did remind me of one I received a few months ago. What do you think of this:

"Hi can u send me ur address an phone number an we arr for collection am nt working d 24 of may do u leave in reading an hw much was it"

What really surprised me was that he worked down the road at Microsoft.

He turned out to be a pleasant enough chap, and I don't think English was his first language. But I would have thought it would be easier to use 'proper' words when communicating in a foreign language.

Is the above typical?
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 23 Jun 12 at 20:18
 ebay communications - Iffy
...What really surprised me was that he worked down the road at Microsoft...

If he worked at Microsoft, I'm surprised he could communicate in any language.

ebay communications - MD
Sad maybe but I would have ignored him and lost the sale. I CNT stnd it.
>> Sad maybe but I would have ignored him and lost the sale. I CNT stnd it.

I was tempted, not least because it was sold as local pick-up only and he wanted me to drop it off at his workplace. But the sale had been made when I received the email, and I was worried about losing my 100% rating.
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 23 Jun 12 at 21:04
 ebay communications - Aretas
I occasionally put things on Freecycle. If someone can't request the item politely and in non-truncated English they don't get a look in.
Last edited by: Aretas on Sat 23 Jun 12 at 21:34
 ebay communications - bathtub tom
>> I occasionally put things on Freecycle. If someone can't request the item politely and in
>> non-truncated English they don't get a look in.

If I get more than one request for anything I offer, I put their ID into the search box and only offer it to those that have offered stuff themselves. I find they're more likely to collect.

If someone fails to collect more than once, their email address gets blocked.
 ebay communications - Roger.
In my local Freeecycle group there are names which recur time after time - mostly in the "taken" or "wanted" areas!
I suspect that there are quite a few people who are on a nice little earner flogging the stuff on eBay!
We have disposed of a few things this way, but only ever obtained one item - a couple of lilac trees!
 ebay communications - John H
>> Is the above typical? >>

Very much so for anyone under 25 years old.

ebay communications - Iffy
Brother is downsizing due to impending retirement.

He has a few bits and pieces to get rid of, but is reluctant to use Freecycle because he knows nothing about it.

Nor do I.

Can I suggest to him most user experiences are positive?

ebay communications - Bigtee
Is the above typical? Yes it bugs me too.!

Some other forums i go on have the under 25's on and this is what you get.

At work we have posters like that im surprised i can read them just fine weird really.
>> Can I suggest to him most user experiences are positive?

Mine have been (getting rid of stuff), although I haven't used it a lot.

As for people taking stuff and then selling it - good luck to them. They're keeping it out of landfill, which is the group's purpose, and there's nothing to stop any of us doing the same, if we could be bothered :)
 ebay communications - borasport
It's (freecycle/Freegle) a great idea in theory and I have used it to pass stuff on to people who could make use of it, but I don't bother any more
Too many people would say they want something, you say come and get it and you never hear from them again
Too many would make appointments to come and collect something, you'll stay in ... and you never hear from them again
Too many sob stories - the hospitals just arent that full of sick children needing games consoles
Too much tat on offer - I don't know if it still happens, but when I gave up, half the 'Offers' consisted of nothing more than 'Bags of stuff - would suit car boot' i.e. I've got a bag of rubbish and I'm to lazy to try a car boot sales myself, will you come and take it away for me

I suggest Iffy frere browses the local group and looks at the quality of the offers/wants to try and get a feel for it
Last edited by: borasport on Sun 24 Jun 12 at 10:14
 ebay communications - MD
And of course the last thing anyone needs is any TD&H clocking one's Gaff (and stuff).

Cynical Moi? Oh! Yes......
 Freecycle/Freegle - bathtub tom
I use it a fair bit, but it is a pain with non-collection, easily solved by leaving stuff outside the house and it often saves a journey to the tip.

Radio/CD/cassette players don't last long in the garage and it's a good source for replacements.
Latest Forum Posts