Non-motoring > Shoe advice. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 72

Shoe advice. - R.P.
I've a very nice linen suit (picked up at the Next sale for a song) - What kind of shoes should one wear with them ?

Brown don't look right and black even worse.
 Shoe advice. - Robin O'Reliant
Sandals, socks optional.
 Shoe advice. - R.P.
Mmmm maybe. I have worn it twice for summer weddings...sandals in a wedding...?
 Shoe advice. - CGNorwich
Brown loafers or boat shoes
 Shoe advice. - Meldrew
What colour is the suit Rob? Why not cut a dash in some black and white co-respondent's brogues?!
 Shoe advice. - PhilW
Do a Paul McCartney on Abbey Road and go barefoot??
 Shoe advice. - Fullchat
+1 the Loafer or boat shoes.

Now the bigee. With or without socks? :)
 Shoe advice. - Zero
I have a white linen suit I bought for a song in TKmax, I wear light brown penny loafers (no socks). boat shoes will do it.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 24 Jun 12 at 19:19
 Shoe advice. - Runfer D'Hills
Definitely the loafer, and definitely suede. Something like this...

www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Harvard-Snuff

No boat shoes please. Those are for shorts or chinos

Possible to go for an espadrille of course but severe danger of being seen as trying to look like this...

miamivicefans.com/wp-content/uploads/pictures/don-johnson-cool.jpg

:-)

Shoe advice. - Armel Coussine
It's a total no-brainer.

White buckskin or rawhide moccasins, preferably well run-in and comfortable to disreputable in appearance. Never been able to afford those myself.

Or some white nipple-sole driving shoes like the ones I'm wearing now, £30 in Portobello Road. Perfectly decent white leeather tennis shoes maybe for £20. Or if you're a bit old fashioned as I am the best white all-leather Italian moccasins you can afford. They won't last long in a muddy third-world capital though.

NOOOOOO !

Not white, ever ! Not unless one is American. Even then...

Dear me no...
Ah shaddap ya pansy.

You have to have a pale colour with a white suit. Pink or primer grey or baby blue OK if you're adventurous. Even in suede, but it doesn't stand up to harsh conditions as well as finished leather (or rawhide or buckskin).

What's the matter with these old women? They'll be complaining about people wearing white socks and bracelets next.

You've never mentioned the white socks before !

Oh God ! It's too late isn't it? It really is too late...
>> Oh God ! It's too late isn't it? It really is too late...

Not even God can save you now from the layers of ever-worse horror. I often wear black socks with the white shoes but for real class white socks with black shoes take a lot of beating.

How are you on suits worn with a tee shirt Humph? Hear-attacksville I trust?
 Shoe advice. - Old Navy
>> I often wear black socks with the white shoes but for real class white socks with black
>> shoes take a lot of beating.
>>

If I thought you were serious I would say you have a total taste failure. :-)
>>on suits worn with a tee shirt Humph?

Au contraire AC. Can be very stylish if done properly. Fairly critical not to have a gut though.
 Shoe advice. - R.P.
I don't own any white socks ! The suit is sort of er....natural not white. Humph's recommendation fit the bill (at a cost of nearly ten times what I paid for the whistle !) - don't like not wearing socks uness abroad.
Well, of course you'd not need to buy that exact model Rob but the general idea is what I mean.

You could listen to this while wearing your new suit...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqHNzFm2i7k&feature=related
 Shoe advice. - R.P.
I actually boughtbtwo years ago - took it Key West but never wore it. I rather like it - I like those you've suggested as style go look for some next week unless I can find some on Amazon or other places.
Google "brown suede loafers" You'll find loads.

These are a bit more "accessible". Not bad either.

www.ocbutcher.co.uk/resources/images/1482_large.jpg
>> The suit is sort of er....natural not white.

Oh God, he's got a beige whistle.

Perhaps the sandals will do after all... socks not recommended, but only if ankles tanned. Dirty will do at a pinch.

:o}
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 24 Jun 12 at 20:15
A friend of mine swears he'll get a pair of grey socks tattooed on to his feet when he retires, save ever having to find a clean pair again he reckons...
Cowboy boots with the trousers tucked in would give a rather decadent classy look.
 Shoe advice. - R.P.
I rather fancy those rigger boots complete with pull om loops !
Just the ticket in Wales most probably.
 Shoe advice. - R.P.
You're not wrong.
 Shoe advice. - Zero
>> Cowboy boots with the trousers tucked in would give a rather decadent classy look.

Snakeskin of course.

>> Snakeskin of course.
>>
Of course. And with a wide brimmed Fedora or a Stetson worn at a jaunty angle.
 Shoe advice. - R.P.
So I need a hat now !
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 24 Jun 12 at 21:44
 Shoe advice. - Zero
>> So I need a hat now !
>>

Yes, here we go

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Mens-Fedora-Pure-Cotton-Panama-Sun-Hat-Classic-Summer-Stylish-Cream-Trilby-/280852635625?pt=UK_Hats&var=&hash=item41641f1fe9#ht_4267wt_1071
I've just bought this, but in grey -

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MENS-BLACK-COLOUR-WOOL-RACING-TRILBY-FEDORA-HAT-MF-/260890784114?pt=UK_Hats&var=&hash=item3cbe4d7172#ht_586wt_808
 Shoe advice. - Old Navy
>> So I need a hat now !
>>
>>

www.tilley.com/Hats-Men.aspx
 Shoe advice. - Kevin
>So I need a hat now !

tinyurl.com/74thdbd
Cowboy boots, snakeskin or lizard or alligator, anything, by all means.

But never, ever with the trousers tucked in like some goddam cyclist or nerd. Never, ever.

Straight Levis, worn outside.

Honestly you guys. One would think one was in Lithuania in 1962.
>> Cowboy boots, snakeskin or lizard or alligator, anything, by all means.
>>
>> But never, ever with the trousers tucked in like some goddam cyclist or nerd. Never,
>> ever.
>>
>> Straight Levis, worn outside.
>>
>> Honestly you guys. One would think one was in Lithuania in 1962.
>>
You don't get it AC, we're trying to give the man an air Of Bohemian decadence.

I'm only on this thread because I'm too nervous to watch the football.
>> You don't get it AC, we're trying to give the man an air Of Bohemian decadence.

RR, I am a tolerant man, relaxed, chillaxed even, but are you seriously trying to tell me that I don't get, er, bohemian decadence?

Bohemians are poor and just can't afford cowboy boots that fit them and that's the truth. But all the decadent cowboy boot wearers I've ever met wore their trousers outside. Except one actually, but it was a long time ago and he had an eccentric side.

There's such a thing as not looking too awful. That means trousers outside.
 Shoe advice. - R.P.
I wear my Draggin jeans over my motorcycle boots - always.
 Shoe advice. - Kevin
If they're draggin you really should tuck 'em in Rob.
 Shoe advice. - Zero
Rigger boots should always have trousers tucked in.
 Shoe advice. - Meldrew
To make them De Rigeur, obviously
For every problem, someone has thought of a solution.

www.vivobarefoot.com/us/trip-clip.html
 Shoe advice. - R.P.
Rigger boots would be great on the bike, comfy to wear around one's estate as well...wonder if they do them in black..?
 Shoe advice. - Kevin
>comfy to wear around one's estate as well...wonder if they do them in black..?

With a linen suit?

Humph will be.. well Humph.

;-)
 Shoe advice. - R.P.
:-) I've been meaning to ask this question for a while. I got my answer...! and cracking bit of entertainment in the doing !
 Shoe advice. - Kevin
To answer your original question Rob - Desert boots.

Casual, cheap, comfy and acceptable.

tinyurl.com/829mlxw
 Shoe advice. - Zero

Look at these beauties

www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-rigger-boots-brown-size-11/58711
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 24 Jun 12 at 22:56
 Shoe advice. - R.P.
I wonder if they're waterproofish
 Shoe advice. - Zero
Yup
 Shoe advice. - Manatee
With a "stainless steel midsole", nuclear weapon proof I should think.

Even my £20 Aldi ones that I mow the grass in are waterproof.

Bit academic really as the linen suit will leak like a sieve.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 24 Jun 12 at 23:06
 Shoe advice. - R.P.
Hahahaha !

Mate reckoned he was going to buy a pair for the bike. I need a pair of summer boots to replace my 11 year old Triumph branded ones which have been superb and still have wear in them but leak. Pukka bike boots are expensive. These seem to be a bargain for that use....may pop down to the local Screwloose sometime for a look and a feel etc...Plus some tax avoidance as they are Zero rated.
 Shoe advice. - Manatee
>>Plus some tax avoidance as they are Zero rated.

Is everything that Zero recommends VAT free?
 Shoe advice. - Zero
I think he is trying to accuse me of doing a jimmy.
 Shoe advice. - Kevin

>Definitely the loafer, and definitely suede.

How very Ken Clarke.
 Shoe advice. - Iffy
...How very Ken Clarke...

I can see Peter Alliss in a pair, not that he can see much of his shoes these days.

Suede in grey, black, or of course blue, is just about wearable, but mid-brown?

Yuk.

Shoe advice. - devonite
These be what you need!!

tinyurl.com/757yfwr
 Shoe advice. - zookeeper
boat shoes? heres a nautically based footwear product idea
www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1UMb9f7GBA
 Shoe advice. - Clk Sec
Get fell in with a pair of these:

tinyurl.com/ct7eu4u
 Shoe advice. - Duncan
>> Get fell in with a pair of these:
>>

£45 for a pair of used army boots!!
 Shoe advice. - Clk Sec
Worth that for the scrap metal.
 Shoe advice. - CGNorwich
Reminds me of the Cadet Corp
 Shoe advice. - zookeeper
blimey...stegs come to mind
 Shoe advice. - zookeeper
army boots, what is the correct way to polish? my dad taught me to lather on the blossom , then give it circular motions with a finger wrapped in cloth dipped in water, then theres the hot spoon method ...discusss
Dipped in water zookeeper?

Thick phlegmy squaddie's spittle was the non-polish component. They could get a shine you would hardly believe. Water indeed!

The hot spoon was to flatten out the grain on the toecap of boots made from grained leather, as some were. Like the polishing, it took ages, endless effort and a finicky approach.

Yup: that's how we used to train our government-sponsored murderers in my young day. It worked too, apparently.
 Shoe advice. - zookeeper
my family have a history in boot n shoe...my gran made hobnailed boots for the lads int war, my grandad too but he was a D/R in the RAF....how they ever coped makes you wonder sometimes..grandad lost his brothers when fighting the kaisers lot in 1917
 Shoe advice. - Ted

We had to get our boots looking like black ( non-white ? ) glass at the police college.

If I remember, any dimples were flattened out with a hot spoon and then the work began.
Boot polish was melted to liquid form in a spoon and poured over the toecap. It was spread evenly, after solidifying, with a hot spoon. Allowed to harden, it was polished in a circular motion with cotton wool generously soaked in cold water.

The cotton wool polishing was repeated many times before the passing out parade and everyone's boots were like mirrors for the big day.

Of course, they weren't worn at the college on a day to day basis...just for drill sessions.....hated them.

I wonder if I ought to try it now with me black Riekers ? They polish up pretty well.

Ted
 Shoe advice. - Duncan
>> Yup: that's how we used to train our government-sponsored murderers in my young day. It worked too, apparently. >>

Yup: that's how they trained me!
 Shoe advice. - devonite
I used to love polishing my shoes! - but nowadays I end up cursing and swearing as I rip-off yet another fingernail opening the tin!! why the heck did they do away with the twisty-lever!!! Grrr!
 Shoe advice. - Mapmaker
Kiwi still has a twisty lever.
 Shoe advice. - devonite
Yeah! - but I only have Cherry Blossom!! ;-) (Kiwi next time then!- we dont often see that up ere!)
 Shoe advice. - Manatee
>> Yeah! - but I only have Cherry Blossom!! ;-) (Kiwi next time then!- we dont
>> often see that up ere!)

RTFM. Or at least RTF tin. There's a bit you press on to flip the other side of the lid up - seems to work on mine ;-)

I feel like an expert on shoe polish - one of my displacement activities yesterday was a leak under the sink. The fixing triggered the examination of the box of shoe polishing appurtenances and consumables stored under there. I could almost have weighed in the almost empty tins I chucked out.
 Shoe advice. - Focusless
>> but nowadays I end up cursing and
>> swearing as I rip-off yet another fingernail opening the tin!!

?? www.britishcornershop.co.uk/product.asp?id=15937

:)
 Shoe advice. - helicopter
I always go for comfort in shoes.

I second the boat shoes with the linen suit , definitely no socks ( I tried it and in my experience socks just seem to ruck up inside the proper boat shoe.)

Colour preferably brown , the more battered the boat shoe the better.

I have two pairs from this crowd ...

www.spartoo.co.uk/Blackstone-b176.php

which I am running in at the moment ...... another couple of years or so before they become properly comfortable but I wear them around the house just to annoy SWMBO because the rubber soles make a tremendous squeaking on our tiled kitchen floor which she cannot abide.......

Shoe advice. - devonite
Well blow me! - I`ve just examined my tin `o` polish, and in tiny writing it does indeed say "press here to open", which when pressed opened it! ;-) DOH!

Me not allowed squeezy liquid polish following an unfortunate incident when unknown to me, it somehow slipped off the arm of the sofa and fell down the side of the cushion, after being sat on an squashed for several hours, the sofa and me weren`t in the best of shape! - even moreso when "she" saw the damage which I had made worse trying to clean it!!

It also explains "her" lack of sympathy when I hurt myself opening the tins! - "She" looks on it as payback!
Latest Forum Posts