Non-motoring > Which roller? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 18

Which roller? - Dave
For all you decorating gurus out there.

I need to paint a ceiling with oil based paint. The ceiling itself is some sort of old fashioned wood fibre board, I think it was made before hardboard was developed. It's fairly smooth, with a texture similar to the rough side of hardboard, but not quite as coarse.

I've tried brushing the paint on, but all the paint runs down the upside down brush, so roller it is.

So what's the deal - short hair, long hair, foam?
 Which roller? - Westpig
Chriisstttt....

Here was me thinking you'd come up on the lottery.
 Which roller? - Manatee
That's the only sort of roller I'll be having too.
 Which roller? - Zero
`Short hair roller, wouldn't be using oil based paint on a ceilingt tho, wood based or not. Emulsion. I guess they are treated with something so it won't soak in or go patchy.
 Which roller? - Dave
Yeah, the ceiling was previously painted with what they call here 'slamfärg', which seems to be a mixture of chalk and water. Apparently it was popular during the war when no other paints were available. I tried using emulsion and it just fell off. Then I tried to PVA it first, and that fell off too. So on the advice of a retired painter, I spent 2 days washing off the chalk as best I could, and will now use an oil based paint.

As an aside, the price of oil based paint is incredibly high here (maybe everywhere else too), it makes petrol seem cheap.
 Which roller? - MD
Renew the ceiling.
 Which roller? - devonite
Lining paper first? then emulsion.
 Which roller? - MD
So, your going to stick the lining paper to paff then are you?
 Which roller? - CGNorwich
Sounds what was known here as distemper which was basically a mixure of powdered chalk, glue and water. It's notorious for nothing sticking to it. You have to get absolutely all of it off by repeated soaking and scraping. It's a really horrible job but there is no other way apart from a new ceiling. Using oil paint over the top will just result in a horrendous mess.
 Which roller? - henry k
>>Sounds what was known here as distemper
I would agree. I know of no short cut re removing it
 Which roller? - Dog
Tongue & groove it.
 Which roller? - MD
If one does consider taking it down please be aware of the possible presence of ASBESTOS in the main boarding. Asbestos also present in artex prior to 1984.
 Which roller? - L'escargot
In case it helps, here's a discussion about slamfärg. tinyurl.com/dyu9e2p
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 27 Jun 12 at 07:13
 Which roller? - Dave
It's funny stuff, for sure.

I've washed and scrubbed it, so most of it has gone now. There's just a faint white hue left, and none comes off on the finger. I've tried a couple of areas with the paint I was recommended, and it seems to be ok now.

I was thinking of panelling it, but it's quite a large room, and the roof is already quite low. There's also the added cost, plus new coving, and the fact that the existing ceiling is nowhere near flat or straight. I will be tongue and grooving the kitchen ceiling though, as it's in much worse shape and with old plaster coving that is falling apart, and has bits missing where the ceiling has been redone in the past around cupboards etc that are now gone.

I believe most of the materials are pre-asbestos, but I'm adopting the let sleeping dogs lie prinicipal. If I start digging too much, there will be nothing left but the corrugated tin roof!
 Which roller? - Dog
I once had a 30ft long vaulted tongue & groove ceiling in a character cottage which was stained with Sadolin.

Stuff character! - I masked up all the windows & doors, covered everything up and sprayed the critter with Dulux emulsion using a cheapo Earlex sprayer - it looked quite effective in the end :)
 Which roller? - Cliff Pope
Try the Mr Bean method?
 Which roller? - Dog
Wossat then guv?
 Which roller? - MJM
This one
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hNkUyQaXwE
 Which roller? - Dog
Haha! Brilliant (white)
Latest Forum Posts