Non-motoring > RBS/Natwest debacle Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 2

RBS/Natwest debacle - Falkirk Bairn
It has been ongoing for 8 days+ and is still not fully sorted.

1000+ higher paid IT Jobs (many £50K/year so responsible techie positions!!) off-shored to save money and it has caused havoc and will cost £XXXm to recover and bail people out.

When the 1,000 x P45's went out maybe 20/40,000 man years of mainframe and BIG systems experience also left the room.

It happens in IT and most other fields...........experienced staff often cost more for a reason. The company has paid for their mistakes at a junior level and if things go wrong they often know how to recover by the time they make big mistakes.

At the foot of the road a new high voltage cable was being laid and they struck a water and sewage pipe - the carp did hit the fan.

Digitally printed map showed the pipes at the side of the road........the new power cable was under the pavement............how did they hit the water and sewage.............EASY a new wider pavement was built which narrowed the road. The senior engineer arrived late on and diagnosed the issue from observation.........pity he had not come along before the flood.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 27 Jun 12 at 19:01
 RBS/Natwest debacle - Manatee
They'll never admit that's the problem.

My recent experience of this sort of thing (offshored and outsourced for good measure) is that failures occur with pretty much the same frequency, but typically take much longer to fix. The "end to end" understanding is the major bit of knowledge that seems to go missing so the first thing that happens is a lot of people tell you things are fine from where they are!

RBS/Natwest debacle - Zero
When I was in the mainframe game, we always told customers CA-7 was a cack batch scheduler. 20 years later I was right.
Latest Forum Posts