Non-motoring > Flowering shrubs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 10

Flowering shrubs - Armel Coussine
It was rather cold and nasty yesterday, but went with my wife and our hostess here in Kew to Richmond Park yesterday and visited the something-or-other plantation.

Normally I am about as interested in gardens, even well-sorted ones, as a hyperactive, educationally subnormal twelve-year-old, but this place was different: a very large area of assorted flowering shrubs, mainly varieties of azaleas but with a lot of assorted rhododendrons too, all in bloom or coming into bloom, under tall old oak trees. A feast for the eyes, a wonderful low-key spectacle that actually cheered me up despite the surrounding election and all that manure.

Two large parties of Japanese tourists passed, exclaiming delightedly to each other. I would imagine that place at this time of year is a bit of an attraction for the discerning Japanese tourist. But I would recommend it to anyone. Apparently it only lasts a month or so at full blast like that. Wow, though.

We are going back to the country later today. The bluebells ought to be out by now.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 3 May 10 at 12:15
 Flowering shrubs - -
Ah it's that good country living AC, so much better for the soul than the hell of a city, a stroll in a bluebell woods with the one that matters most, what could be better.

You'll be taking inspiration from BellBoy i shouldn't wonder growing all sorts and becoming self sufficient..perfick.
 Flowering shrubs - MD
>> a stroll in a bluebell wood with the one that matters most, what could be better.
>>
I ain't walking in no Bluebell wood with the local Publican.
 Flowering shrubs - -

>> I ain't walking in no Bluebell wood with the local Publican.
>>
Busty Barmaid Betsy then?
 Flowering shrubs - crocks
Thanks AC. I'm not really much of a gardener but will give it a visits soon.

But not today. Richmond Park is always heaving at weekends and bank holidays if the weather is good. I go through there quite a lot by car and bike but Isabella Plantation requires you to park and walk.

For anyone looking at a map be aware that the entrance at Robin Hood Gate at the A3/A308 junction has been closed to cars for a few years now to stop overloading the park's roads.
 Flowering shrubs - Clk Sec
>>The bluebells ought to be out by now.

There's an abundance of bluebells in my area - sufficient for my wife to dust off the camera and take some 'photos.
 Flowering shrubs - Zero
get out into the sandy heaths of surrey too lud. The gorse and heather is really coming into bloom.
 Flowering shrubs - FocalPoint
"went... to Richmond Park yesterday and visited the something-or-other plantation."

You mean the Isabella Plantation. (tinyurl.com/2wepl2w) A stamping ground of mine from years ago.
 Flowering shrubs - Zero
>> A stamping ground of mine from years ago.

you were herding moles?
 Flowering shrubs - FocalPoint
:-)

Actually, I was being nice to my (now ex-) in-laws, who used to live in New Malden, quite nearby.
Last edited by: ChrisPeugeot on Tue 4 May 10 at 10:41
 Flowering shrubs - Zero
>> New Malden quite nearby.

Its been renamed to Seoul.
Latest Forum Posts