Non-motoring > Le Tour Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 32

Le Tour - Robin O'Reliant
Been a cycling fan for 45 years and never thought I'd see the day, not just one Brit (he was born in Belgium) challenging for the race win but another (who was born in Kenya) ready to take over should it go wrong for Wiggins.

Should put a few more cyclists on the road too, so there'll be plenty for you petrol heads to moan about soon.
 Le Tour - Zero

>> Should put a few more cyclists on the road too, so there'll be plenty for
>> you petrol heads to moan about soon.

Should be ok, there a natural equilibrium at work. As bromp will testify.
 Le Tour - Bromptonaut
>> Should be ok, there a natural equilibrium at work. As bromp will testify.
>>

First question for fracture clinic is 'when can I get back on a bike'.
 Le Tour - Dutchie
Back on a bike?You must be a glutton for punishement.>:)
 Le Tour - lancara
Just stocking up for today's marathon session starting at noon!
We won.

In case anybody missed it.
 Le Tour - Armel Coussine
Yup. Well done Widley Braggins. The confident predictions of victory were a bit worrying though. What a relief.
 Le Tour - rtj70
Yes well done to the Belgian ;-)
 Le Tour - Auntie Lockbrakes
Wonder what drugs he's been taking? Cos they all do in that corrupt "sport" don't they?

Don't know how anyone can take cycling seriously after all the drug-taking these past 10 years.
 Le Tour - Zero
who cares, its a poke in the eye to the Frogs.
 Le Tour - FocalPoint
"...its a poke in the eye to the Frogs."

Exactly my sentiment. When it comes to sport the best nation to beat is Australia, as they are such awfully bad losers, and after that France.

I have been following the French press coverage of Le Tour and the amount of bile directed at Wiggins has been quite amusing. However, at least one paper eventually had the generosity to say that the fans should be shouting "Bravo, Wiggo!" (as they call him over there) at the finish.
>> Wonder what drugs he's been taking? Cos they all do in that corrupt "sport" don't
>> they?
>>
>> Don't know how anyone can take cycling seriously after all the drug-taking these past 10
>> years.
>>
Average speeds in this years tour are at mid eighties levels, despite the bikes being three kilos lighter and having six more gears and the training being much more advanced.

Cycling takes doping seriously and tests more often and more thoroughly than any other sport, hence why people get caught. You have to wonder why footballers rarely get caught taking performance enhancing drugs. If you don't look you don't find.
 Le Tour - Armel Coussine
>> Don't know how anyone can take cycling seriously after all the drug-taking these past 10 years.

Either they put themselves in the hands of the team pharmacologist or they just aren't in the running. It's much the same in all sports including football and athletics. There are all sorts of new substances and techniques designed to be 'undetectable', or almost, when testing time comes up.

I blame the public which seems to expect ever-improving performances and new records all the time, but smugly lynches those caught out as 'drug cheats'. Yet another area of mass-scale tabloid goddam hypocrisy in our bug-eyed, hysterical world.

Tchah!

(Cycling is now an exception according to RR).

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 22 Jul 12 at 20:04
 Le Tour - lancara
"Don't know how anyone can take cycling seriously after all the drug-taking these past 10 years."

Given your username, have you watched any rugby matches lately? Doubt if there are many "normal" sized players in the professional era.
Last edited by: lancara on Sun 22 Jul 12 at 20:10
 Le Tour - Roger.
Yep, well done to Wiggins - it's a real test of fitness and character - but to me it's still mind numbingly tedious to watch.
 Le Tour - Londoner
>> Yep, well done to Wiggins - it's a real test of fitness and character -
>> but to me it's still mind numbingly tedious to watch.
>>
Many sports are tedious to those who are not devotees, but I'm glad that you have overcome this obstacle to recognise Wiggins achievement.

It's fantastic, IMHO (and I am not even a cyclist). The guy appears to have done the equivalent of winning the 100 meters Olympic sprint Gold Medal at one Olympic Games, then winning the Marathon at the next.

And the icing on the cake, another Brit finishing in second place!
 Le Tour - ....
>>Yes well done to the Belgian ;-)

Which part is Belgian ?

From that I conclude my German born son to Scottish mother and English father raised in an English speaking household should claim victory for Germany if he should ever make such an achievement ?
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 22 Jul 12 at 22:37
 Le Tour - rtj70
He was born in Belgium so could claim to be a Belgian. His parents chose to say he was British... he could just as easily been Australian ;-)

Your German born son if you'd chosen could indeed be considered German couldn't he?

As for:

>>And the icing on the cake

I'd have thought his increased salary from £1.5m to closer to £3m next year... and if earning that much should a sportsman be allowed into the Olympics? I suppose this is 2012.... Murray will be on that for wearing particular clothes.
 Le Tour - ....
>> Your German born son if you'd chosen could indeed be considered German couldn't he?
>>
No. He has the option once he is 7 and proves he can speak fluent German to chose German citizenship up to the age of 18 (I think it is) but up to that point under no circumstances will he be accepted as German.
 Le Tour - neiltoo
when soeone told him that by being born in Ireland, he must be Irish, the Duke of Wellington replied that were he born in a stable, that wouldn't make him a horse.
 Le Tour - Manatee
>> when soeone told him that by being born in Ireland, he must be Irish, the
>> Duke of Wellington replied that were he born in a stable, that wouldn't make him
>> a horse.

I think I've alluded to this before, but I know a chap who was born in Ukraine and boggles at the idea that he could be anything but Hungarian. His parents are Hungarian, as were his grandparents. His grandfather lived in three different countries without moving house. That probably explains why, to many mainland and Central/Eastern Europeans in particular, ethnicity is far more important than political boundaries in defining nationality.
 Le Tour - Zero

>> That probably explains why, to many mainland and Central/Eastern Europeans in particular, ethnicity
>> is far more important than political boundaries in defining nationality.

Given that Central/Eastern European country* boundaries have wandered around like tumbleweed in the desert its not surprising.

* Even the countries come and go with the tide!

Le Tour - Dutchie
He speaks fluent French so that would be Waals.Excellent achievement forh him to win the Tour.

I used to watch Simpson always battling on his own.Drugs got him in the end.
 Le Tour - ....
Ooops, looking at the Sky News website of today's Daily Mirror, Bradley appears to have an upside down Union Flag (red strips are going clockwise instead of anti(counter)-clockwise).
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 22 Jul 12 at 23:47
 Le Tour - rtj70
That's Belgian's for you ;-)
 Le Tour - ....
Or Australians ;-)
 Le Tour - ....
...or inside out.
 Le Tour - Zero
he's in distress. (secretly tho)
 Le Tour - Haywain
We knew it was all over when the fat lady sang - and, by gum, didn't she make a racket??? What an embarassment!

It was reported on regional t.v. news last night that a village just south of us had its village sign modified by a local wag; 'Great Bradley' became Great Bradley Wiggins.

Le Tour - rtj70
We thought they should have played the anthem and not had it sung unaccompanied. It was awful. What if she had to sing something else.... accidents do happen and this is Britain we're talking about. e.g. the two leading Sky riders crashing out.
 Le Tour - borasport
From the BBC website article on Bradley Wiggins being a mod -

'The parkas of the post-war era were often ex-RAF issue and so displayed the classic target symbol, known as the roundel'

I don't quite go back to the end of the war, but I have precious little recollection of parka being part of the RAF uniform, let alone ones with a chuffing big target on the back - or am I wrong
 Le Tour - Bromptonaut
>> I don't quite go back to the end of the war, but I have precious
>> little recollection of parka being part of the RAF uniform, let alone ones with a
>> chuffing big target on the back - or am I wrong
>>

Neither do I but IIRC the uniform outdoor wear for officers was the greatcoat; a long mac of Gaberdine or perhaps woven wool fabric. The roundel was only used on aircraft ans possibly road vehicles and Air Sea Rescue launches.
 Le Tour - R.P.
If Wiggo is a mod I bet he hasn't got a little wand like ours !
Latest Forum Posts