Non-motoring > New plug wiring Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 39

New plug wiring - Rudedog
I had to change a fuse in one of my daughter's bedroom lamps yesterday, not a problem, but when I opened the plug up I was surprised to see that both internal wires were coloured black, I thought there was still a requirement for the blue/brown colours to be retained (lamp bought from Tescos).
 New plug wiring - Zero
Not if its dual insulated with no earth, and the plug is pre fitted.
 New plug wiring - Runfer D'Hills
That just made my reflect on when was the last time I put a plug on anything. Must be years ago now. One of the first things my dad showed me how to do as a young lad. My son, come to think of it, at the age of 12, has almost certainly no idea how to wire a plug. Must show him. But then, does he need to know is the next question...
 New plug wiring - Rudedog
Thanks Z, the plug is not moulded on and doesn't have an earth, I guess it's not a problem but I've showed my children how to wire a plug so a few questions were asked when they saw just black wires.
 New plug wiring - VxFan
>> a few questions were asked when they saw just black wires.

It's to help people with colour blindness ;o)

As it's alternating current anyway, the colour of the wires doesn't really matter unless a switch is involved - i.e. it's best practice to isolate the live wire.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 17 Jul 12 at 21:36
 New plug wiring - MD
Yes he does. And how to cook a basic meal and how to sew. Good luck.
 New plug wiring - Harleyman
>> Yes he does. And how to cook a basic meal and how to sew. Good
>> luck.
>>

Add to that how to work a washing machine and iron a shirt. All the above I learned from me mum before I joined the Army. Stood me in good stead, especially the basic cooking when we went on exercise.

Old chestnut I know, but all the above used to be taught in school under the heading of "Domestic Science"; there's a lot of kids (and adults) out there who would be both healthier and wealthier if this was still the case.
 New plug wiring - R.P.
And manage a household budget......could write a book about that after the last 6 months in CAB
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 17 Jul 12 at 21:37
 New plug wiring - Runfer D'Hills
I can iron, sew and cook to a reasonable standard.

I quite enjoy cooking so I've let on about that one...

:-)
 New plug wiring - henry k
>> I can iron, sew and cook to a reasonable standard.
>>
>> I quite enjoy cooking so I've let on about that one...
>>
>> :-)
>>

I hope SWMBO does not read the above.

Can we revert to wiring a plug :-)
 New plug wiring - sherlock47
Forget the colours - was an appropriate fuse fitted?

Recently I have seen a 10watt device fed by what looked like bell wire fed from a 13A plug top fitted with a 13A fuse. Retailer supplied, in factory packaging (PRC!).
 New plug wiring - VxFan
>> Forget the colours - was an appropriate fuse fitted?

Electrical laws have changed recently. Gone are the days of fitting 1, 2, 3, 5, 10 or 13 amp fuses depending on the wattage of the equipment.

"For the convenience of users, appliance manufacturers have standardised on two plug fuse ratings- 3A & 13A and adopted appropriate flex sizes. For appliances up to 700W a 3A fuse is used, for those over 700W a 13A fuse is used."

www.pat-testing.info/plug.htm

Fortunately I'm still old skhool and will fit the appropriate rated fuse when I do PAT testing, or buy new electrical equipment which has the wrong fuse in the plug.
 New plug wiring - L'escargot
>> Electrical laws have changed recently. Gone are the days of fitting 1, 2, 3, 5,
>> 10 or 13 amp fuses depending on the wattage of the equipment.
>>
>> "For the convenience of users, appliance manufacturers have standardised on two plug fuse ratings- 3A
>> & 13A and adopted appropriate flex sizes. For appliances up to 700W a 3A fuse
>> is used, for those over 700W a 13A fuse is used."
>>
>> www.pat-testing.info/plug.htm

That's something else I've learned on Car4play.
 New plug wiring - Roger.
>> I can iron, sew and cook to a reasonable standard.
>>
>> I quite enjoy cooking so I've let on about that one...
>>
>> :-)

Cooking in our house is at least 50/50 shared. I like cooking! (I also like eating the results.)
 New plug wiring - Clk Sec
>> (I also like eating the results.)

Me, too!
 New plug wiring - Duncan
>> could write a book about that after the last 6 months in CAB
>>

How about a few non-attributable stories? With the names changed to protect the guilty, of course!
 New plug wiring - Duncan
>> Add to that how to work a washing machine and iron a shirt. All the
>> above I learned from me mum before I joined the Army. Stood me in good
>> stead,

The ability to iron a shirt well and press a battledress got me off quite a few guard duties!
 New plug wiring - L'escargot
>> ........... all the above used to be taught in school under
>> the heading of "Domestic Science";

That must have been after my time at school.
 New plug wiring - Pat
>>And how to cook a basic meal and how to sew<<

I've got by for a lot of years being unable to do either of those.

Show him Aunt Bessie, Copydex and Wonderweb.

Pat
 New plug wiring - Bromptonaut
>> Show him Aunt Bessie, Copydex and Wonderweb.
>>
>> Pat

IME Wonderweb is OK for a running repair but in use it illustrates perfectly the lesson a 'quick and dirty' job needing repeating ad infinitum while a proper one lasts for ever.

Mind you, I'd be using it to shorten my unfinished Rohans if Mrs (& Miss B) were not handy with needle and thread.
 New plug wiring - bathtub tom
>>Show him Aunt Bessie, Copydex and Wonderweb.

mmm! Aunt Bessie's wonderweb in a copydex sauce.

You won't recognize me on Saturday, will you?

;>)
 New plug wiring - FocalPoint
"You won't recognize me on Saturday, will you?"

Oh yes she will.

Nothing gets past. Make sure you behave yourself.
 New plug wiring - Pat
You think I'm a handful on here?

Wait until you meet me on my own ground!

Pat
 New plug wiring - Duncan

Who is looking after the cats, while (get that - 'while') you are out all day?

Are you sure that they are going to be ok?
 New plug wiring - Pat
Duncan...if you don't behave I shall put my Flying Witch hat on.

I had to use it last Saturday at work.......

Pat
>> Must show him. But then, does he need to know is the next question...

Even if he never wires a plug the ability to understand the principles, particularly stripping the insulation and making an electrically and physically secure connection, will give the means to do running repairs to domestic appliances.

My Uncle, an AMIEE chap, showed me how to wire a plug when I was 10 or 12. Last used the skill on Saturday to insert a join link after Miss B's b/f chopped through the cable of my hedge trimmer.

He's forgiven though as they did a brilliant job demolishing the overgrown hedge/trees along the side of the house.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 18 Jul 12 at 08:19
 New plug wiring - Dave
No plugs here are fused, and many things aren't earthed either. In fact you can buy un-earthed wall sockets for new installations.
 New plug wiring - DP
We learned how to wire a mains plug in school, and to use amps = watts/volts to calculate the appropriate fuse rating for a given appliance at about age 10. Although my dad, and most of my mate's dads had taught us some time previously.

Simple skills that take a single lesson to learn, and which stay with you for life.

>> We learned how to wire a mains plug in school, and to use amps =
>> watts/volts to calculate the appropriate fuse rating for a given appliance at about age 10.

If it's taught today it doesn't stick. Lost count of the number of times I've explained to work colleagues, mostly bright lawyers, why they can't plug heaters into the desk power rails fused at a few amps for IT etc kit.
 New plug wiring - Mapmaker

>> If it's taught today it doesn't stick. Lost count of the number of times I've
>> explained to work colleagues, mostly bright lawyers, why they can't plug heaters into the desk
>> power rails fused at a few amps for IT etc kit.

You're right! (No need for heaters here, it has to be said, but staring me in the face, for the past two years it says "Fuse 3.15A max" on the sockets on my desk. Hadn't noticed. Must be getting old.)
 New plug wiring - DP
>> If it's taught today it doesn't stick. Lost count of the number of times I've
>> explained to work colleagues, mostly bright lawyers, why they can't plug heaters into the desk
>> power rails fused at a few amps for IT etc kit.
>>

In our building, it's the cleaners plugging their vacuum cleaners in to the 3.15A desk outlets that's the favourite. Half our desk power outlets have blown fuses because of this.
 New plug wiring - J Bonington Jagworth
Is there a switch anywhere, or maybe it's a 'touch' lamp, i.e. electronic?
 New plug wiring - Robin O'Reliant
I can never understand why they fit fuses to plugs, those flimsy little bits of wire keep breaking. When the fuse blew YET AGAIN on the plug to the washing machine I junked it, cut a six inch nail down to size and pushed that into the holder. What a difference, it never blew again, even when the machine caught fire and the kitchen burnt down.

In fact I heard one of the firefighters referring to me as "A clever sod", high praise indeed for my little innovation.
 New plug wiring - Zero
Its called a diagnostic fuse. You now know the problem was with the washing machine.
 New plug wiring - Jetski
About 1990 we installed our network of computers and I put in "clean" mains with red sockets labelled for pc use only, the cleaner found the sockets realy handy to plug the Henry into.
 New plug wiring - Zero
Well at least the UPS will keep the kettles boiling in the event of a power cut.
>> About 1990 we installed our network of computers and I put in "clean" mains
>>with red sockets labelled for pc use only, the cleaner found the sockets realy handy to plug the Henry into.
>>
About 1960 when I worked for the BBC they installed D& S sockets for some of the equipment.
The cleaners soon learned to leave them alone as nothing else would plug in.
www.fam-oud.nl/~plugsocket/DormanSmith1.html
 New plug wiring - zookeeper
what attracts men in particular to electricity? i keep rats....they know when to stop chewing through cables...how il never know ... maybe faraday had an idea
 New plug wiring - Mapmaker
"D&S sockets were among others installed in prefabricated houses and council housing. D&S supplied the sockets to local authorities at low cost, with the intention of making money out of the sales of plugs, which were relatively pricey."

Outrageous, isn't it. And still this sort of thing continues.
>> "D&S sockets were among others installed in prefabricated houses and council housing. .... the sales of plugs....., which were relatively pricey."
>>
Any unused "spare?" plugs I came across went to a family I knew in council housing on Wimbledon Common :-)
Latest Forum Posts