Non-motoring > webcam on a string Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 44

webcam on a string - Mapmaker
I need a webcam that I can attach to the end of a 8' long bamboo cane and stick out of the window to inspect a roof.

In amongst the 15,000 hits on ebay for "webcam" will somebody please recommend something.

Thanks

webcam on a string - Zero
Weight is going to be an issue, as is length of USB cable. ONe of the cheap lightweight ones that clips on top of a laptop lid would be ideal. You will need several USB extension leads.
 webcam on a string - J Bonington Jagworth
IIRC, USB is limited to 5m, although I expect it can cope with more. It sounds like MM is about to find out, anyway...
 webcam on a string - Crankcase
How much do you want to spend?

I have one of these, and as it's all self contained and tiny, is excellent. I use it for filming birds on the feeders, as it will just attach to a branch easily. Also have used it clipped to my coat to record a walk, on the bike, so forth.

You could elastic band it to a cane with no issue easily.

Resolution not wonderful but adequate, and runs for ages on one charge.

www.maplin.co.uk/micro-high-resolution-digital-spy-camera-dvr-256541
 webcam on a string - Bromptonaut
To be honest I'd expect, given reasonable daylight, that anything with a decent resolution would do the job. My five yo logitech 1.3 MP 'eyeball' would certainly be fine.
 webcam on a string - Dog
Why not just use binoculars from ground level?
>> Why not just use binoculars from ground level?
>>

'Cos light doesn't go round corners...

Budget as low as possible; this thing is going to get five minutes' use if I'm lucky.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 18 Jul 12 at 11:08
 webcam on a string - Focusless
>> 'Cos light doesn't go round corners...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18833386
:)
That's what made me post... ;)
..or perhaps a mirror? Just don't walk down the street with one on a stick...
 webcam on a string - Robin O'Reliant
Or you could buy one of those cheap little radio control helicopters and attach a small camera to that. Solve the problem and have fun at the same time, particularly if you fly it past your neighbours bedroom windows...
Have you ever tried to control those things? You are likely to get pictures of the lorry outside just as it smashes it to bits.
This one?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MQ-8B_Fire_Scout.jpeg
 webcam on a string - Dulwich Estate
I'd think about a compact camera on stick with the the shutter set to delay. It would take many goes but when you eventually got there the resolution would be adequate.

Unless the fault is as big as a missing tile I somehow doubt a wobbly webcam would give you what you want.
Good idea. I think I've got a mini tripod I could attach the camera to (assuming the camera has a threaded hole in the bottom), and then that to a pole. The camera even does video.

There, Pat. That'll be more fun.
Yeah, thats the one, while you are up there you could fire a missile in through the guy next doors kitchen window.
 webcam on a string - devonite
just zoom-in on Google Earth! ;-)
 webcam on a string - Pat
I think mapmaker should tell us what he really wants to do with a webcam on a string!

.....not that I disbelieve him, of course:)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Wed 18 Jul 12 at 13:19
 webcam on a string - helicopter
I agree Pat .... a likely story .....;0) nudge nudge know what I mean.

Being serious mapmaker , why all the palaver ? Whats stopping you using a ladder and MK 1 eyeball ?
Four storeys...
 webcam on a string - Iffy
Ask the window cleaner to have a look/take a pic for you.

webcam on a string - helicopter
OK - If you cannot use a ladder , I suggest you buy a Flip Video camera for £50, it operates off 2 AA batteries and then what you video can be viewed straight away on the screen on the back or downloaded to your computer via the plug in USB .....no need to worry about cables

www.dvdcollections.co.uk/toys/cheap-flip-video-camera-ultra-mino.htm

And you have a great little video at the end of it all - I carry one in my briefcase and use it all the time for work , holidays etc.
Last edited by: retpocileh on Wed 18 Jul 12 at 14:31
 webcam on a string - Dog
>>I suggest you buy a Flip Video camera for £50<<

= = = > Budget as low as possible < = = =
 webcam on a string - TeeCee
ISTR a "Register" article extolling the virtues of one with a camera built in which takes still pictures or video, including a live feed back to your PC.
That would be ideal for the task.

Yup, here: www.reghardware.com/2011/12/05/geek_treat_of_the_week_spy_cam/

Made by Silverlit, I must get one......
 webcam on a string - VxFan
Do places like Argos / Tesco offer a 30 day exchange or money back on camcorders?

If so, then perhaps you could take advantage of their free loan scheme.
>> Do places like Argos / Tesco offer a 30 day exchange or money back on
>> camcorders?
>>
>> If so, then perhaps you could take advantage of their free loan scheme.

I would regard that as extremely dishonest.
They have clamped down hard on this, far too much abuse of the electronic device loan library. Sat Navs were favourite returns, specially ones with USA mapping on.
 webcam on a string - bathtub tom
Have you got access to a digital camera, mobile 'phone with camera or even on of these £20 ebay in-car cameras. tinyurl.com/bpaqy4k

Take a video and review it. It may take several attempts before you get what you want.
Can you not eyeball it from inside the loft?
>> I would regard that as extremely dishonest.

Depends if you want to get on with the job or sit on your bum surfing the net all day for a suitable camera ;o)
 webcam on a string - Robin O'Reliant
>> I would regard that as extremely dishonest.
>>
A little dishonest, maybe. Extremely would only be if he stole it.
>> >> I would regard that as extremely dishonest.
>> >>
>> A little dishonest, maybe. Extremely would only be if he stole it.
>>

It is extremely dishonest though. You are returning an item to them that they then end up junking. (Or rather selling by the pallet load for it to turn up at a market.)

You are ripping them off.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 18 Jul 12 at 17:16
 webcam on a string - Stuartli
In the North West we have an excellent discount shops retailer (B and M) who sell webcams for about a fiver upwards; brands include Trust. Also on sale at Staples but a bit more expensive.
>> You are returning an item to them that they then end up junking

Not necessarily. Not unknown for a 2nd customer to buy a phone, camcorder, etc with someone else's mug shots / wedding video on it.

A lot of the time products are returned for testing and either sold again as new, or through somewhere like their ebay site as a refurbished or returned item, but still with a 12 month guarantee.
I bought my (very good) pocket camcorder from Argos via ebay as a return. IIRC it was £65 instead £85, so a useful saving for me, and they still got a reasonable amount for it.

Box was less than perfect but camera itself appears to be as-new.

stores.ebay.co.uk/Argos-Outlet

stores.ebay.co.uk/tescooutlet

webcam on a string - rtj70
I was in Tesco yesterday and looking at TVs - want a small one for another room. Nothing fancy. Don't want all black so was interested in one with a grey front.... told the Tesco chap what I was thinking and he said I could always bring it back within 28 days if I didn't like the look of it.

So you can take this back. But I wouldn't get something knowing I'd definitely take it back. That's wrong. I have returned things to Tesco when there were problems etc without question/problem.
>> I was in Tesco yesterday and looking at TVs - he said I could always bring it back within 28 days if I didn't like the look of it.

I did just that with the 23" LCD I bought for the bedroom. It was just that bit too big. Persevered with it for a couple of weeks but found I couldn't get a comfortable distance from it. Took it back and swapped it for a 19".

>> So you can take this back.

According to their returns policy,
www.tesco.com/direct/help/returns-policy.page#our-refund-policy

"To protect your personal security, we accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products within 10 days of purchase only."

Argos won't take them back unless faulty.
www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm

"To protect your personal security, we are also unable to accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products such as MP3 players and digital cameras."

>> But I wouldn't get something knowing I'd definitely take it back.

Yes, joking aside (my comment above were meant to be TIC, btw) nor would I. There are plenty that do though. I know of people who order clothes from catalogues for a wedding, party, whatever, then providing they're still clean - return them afterwards.
you see them in Asda every Monday morning, taking back clothes they`ve bought on Friday, and worn for a Saturday night out!
Last edited by: Webmaster on Tue 31 Jul 12 at 09:24
 webcam on a string - Crankcase
Tesco set themselves up for this a few years ago when they started to advertise that you could return a product if you didn't like it in any way. Remember the TV advert with Prunella Scales taking the fish back because she "didn't like its face"?

Always thought that policy would end up biting them.
You didn't read to the end of my paragraph.

Why should Argos subsidise my lifestyle - or anybody else's? Pure dishonesty, and the people who suffer are pensioners (being shareholders of the bombed out Home Retail Group).
"the people who suffer are pensioners"

Who are not all sweet and innocent, though. Our local farm shop (near a local attraction) gets loads of pilfering by visiting coach parties, who know they will be away in an hour or so.

Not disagreeing with you about the returns - I wouldn't do it either.

>> Who are not all sweet and innocent, though. Our local farm shop (near a local
>> attraction) gets loads of pilfering by visiting coach parties, who know they will be away
>> in an hour or so.

what do they do, stuff a cabbage down their knickers?
Our farm shop is quite upmarket, with expensive jars of pickle and fancy biscuits, and the old ladies often have large bags over their arms that are easy to slip things into. Not to mention the wide-eyed innocence..
This might do the trick. Very like the Maplin one...

tinyurl.com/cjoprd9
Latest Forum Posts