Non-motoring > BBC Documentary. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 25

BBC Documentary. - Dutchie
A documentary about last years riots in London and other citys in the UK have been banned by a judge.The BBC is not allowed to mention why and who the judge is.Are we losing our press freedom of reporting the how and why things happen in our soceity? I saw the news on a Russian station about the documentary.
 BBC Documentary. - Focusless
Guardian report:
www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/16/court-order-bbc-film-riots
 BBC Documentary. - Fullchat
Maybe all to do with timing with the Olympics coming up. Perhaps the programme is evocative enough to potentially stir some of the brain deads into having another go. Not a time to have to deal with mass public disorder. Could well be screened in late Autumn when Policing wise things might be back on an even keel.
 BBC Documentary. - Zero
>> Maybe all to do with timing with the Olympics coming up. Perhaps the programme is
>> evocative enough to potentially stir some of the brain deads into having another go.

The brain deads would suddenly find themselves dealing with the army and a localised press clampdown.
 BBC Documentary. - Manatee
IMO it would be a bad idea to screen this in the summer which is the riot season - they never happen in the winter. I expect we'll see this after October.

There are plenty of excuses for the scum to go on the rampage just now - unemployment, benefit tightening, rich people avoiding tax, Liborgate, Olympic waste. Best not put any more accelerant on the fire.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 19 Jul 12 at 09:06
 BBC Documentary. - Dog
But Dutchie, I thought you of all people, knew the BBC is the propaganda machine of the British government.
 BBC Documentary. - Roger.
.............funded by a compulsory tax for actually owning a machine capable of receiving TV.
I hold no brief for Murdoch & his enterprises, or the other commercial channels, but at least there is a choice as to whether or not you pay directly for them.
>> .............funded by a compulsory tax for actually owning a machine capable of receiving TV.
>> I hold no brief for Murdoch & his enterprises, or the other commercial channels, but
>> at least there is a choice as to whether or not you pay directly for
>> them.

Not that old chestnut. There's no comparison. In cost or in terms of control of influence by vested interest. The BBC is a bargain and does a brilliant job on the whole.

As for being the poodle of the government, I doubt if the current or any previous governments would agree and they obviously haven't got Paxman or Humphrys under control.

The BBC is more often accused of being left wing than pro-government anyway. The last person I saw let off the hook on the BBC was Terry Leahy spouting that old rubbish about the customers choosing to have their high streets closed down, so you may as well say it is the puppet of big business as well. It's a MEDIUM for heaven's sake - the propaganda you hear on the BBC are not the BBC's - capisce?

I boggle at people paying about 6 x the licence fee a year to Sky. I struggle to watch the programmes I want to see on freeview and I won't be held to ransom by Sky for things like F1.
 BBC Documentary. - Roger.

>>
>> The BBC is more often accused of being left wing than pro-government anyway. >>

Who says THIS government is anything but left wing? Cameron is certainly no Conservative and Clegg is a career Europhile.

The BBC is institutionally left wing. It's staff are largely recruited from the chattering classes via the sits vac. of the Guardian. It's whole mindset is left leaning. Remember the (maybe) apocryphal stories of the BBC staff as a whole, celebrating madly after the first Blair New Labour win, with champagne flowing freely?
Roger, everybody is left wing from where you are;-)

I wouldn't disagree that there are a lot of liberal minded people in the BBC, or that it has a liberal culture.

A couple of good friends were long term BBC employees, a producer and a special effects guy. Plenty of stories of bureaucratic nonsense and political correctness, and especially Birtspeak. But neither had any doubts about the BBC's general approach to reporting, and both would tell you that they got as many complaints from Citizen Smith as they did from Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

What neutrality is, is an interesting question. Can it ever be value free, or should it in fact reflect the society it is part of? Reporting is invariably loaded with some sort of judgement.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 19 Jul 12 at 12:11
 BBC Documentary. - madf
Mark Thompson admitted and was quoted the BBC were left wing.

Debate over : there is none.
>> Debate over : there is none.

Of course it's debatable, unless you are the arbiter of what we can think (which you aren't, in case that's not clear).

Thompson has an opinion just like everybody else. I've worked for a couple of organisations where the CEO hadn't a clue.

www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/22/bbc-mark-thompson-roger-bolton
 BBC Documentary. - Armel Coussine
Manatee has it right, not for the first time. Despite ups and downs, the Beeb is a precious institution that serves all segments of society. It's only to be expected that it often annoys them all as well.

Yet there are people who really seem to believe that it is tremendously left wing, just like David Cameron and Barack Obama. One can only marvel at their apparent inability to distinguish between social liberalism and long-toothed Marxism, and wonder what sort of society and media would satisfy these types. It seems unlikely that they have any coherent ideas on the subject that wouldn't make a decent person throw up.
 BBC Documentary. - Westpig
>> One can only marvel at their apparent inability
>> to distinguish between social liberalism and long-toothed Marxism, and wonder what sort of society and
>> media would satisfy these types. It seems unlikely that they have any coherent ideas on
>> the subject that wouldn't make a decent person throw up.
>>

How about those people who are not left leaning or extreme left, wishing for the national broadcaster (that they have no choice but to pay for if they wish to watch a t.v.) to be neutral.

There are plenty that can easily distinguish between extreme left and left leaning, but want neither.
 BBC Documentary. - Armel Coussine
>> There are plenty that can easily distinguish between extreme left and left leaning, but want neither.

The Beeb is neutral Westpig. That's how it manages to annoy people at both ends of the spectrum.
 BBC Documentary. - R.P.
The Beeb provided the only semblance of organised oppostition to Bliar at the hieght of his powers. Remember Gilligan was BBC correspondant and he spilt the Beans on the whoppers told by the Labour party.
 BBC Documentary. - Zero
As the BBC is seen with suspicion by the left as being right wing, by the right as being left wing, and by the liberals as not being liberal enough, I would say they are the most balanced organisation you will ever clap eyes on.
 BBC Documentary. - R.P.
It certainly manages to make other providers look tacky. The Wireless service is second to none. I love R4.
 BBC Documentary. - Crankcase
Surely it will just be because it's potentially prejudicial to some ongoing legal process or other.
 BBC Documentary. - Bromptonaut
>> Surely it will just be because it's potentially prejudicial to some ongoing legal process or
>> other.

That almost certainly has to be the case.

I suspect that, on appeal, trial judge might be found trigger happy & more background will emerge.

Fact that Mail and Mirror were found guilty of predjudicing aspects of Levi Bellfield's trial (there were other charges still with jury after he was found guilty of Milly Dowler's murder) might have strengthened the judge's resolve.
 BBC Documentary. - madf
Today's DT - sorry no online link - quotes research saying basically 120,000 families account for most social and domestic problems in the UK - and it's entrenched in those families.

Comes as no surpise. When I was a lad (downt'pit), the same family names kept cropping..year after year. Now I'm an adult, same again..
 BBC Documentary. - Focusless
>> Today's DT - sorry no online link

This one?
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9406964/Riot-families-problems-go-back-for-generations-says-report.html
 BBC Documentary. - madf
>> >> Today's DT - sorry no online link
>>
>> This one?
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9406964/Riot-families-problems-go-back-for-generations-says-report.html
>>

Yes. Thanks.
.(Late to bed last night as bee swarm catching and hiving at 10pm whilst it was dry.. Raining heavily this am)
 BBC Documentary. - devonite
I`ve just built a top-bar hive (earlier this year) and was rather hoping that some "Ferals" may have moved in, saving me £350 on a Buckfast brood. No luck ;-( so starting to save pennies for next year! ;-)
 BBC Documentary. - Zero

>> Comes as no surpise. When I was a lad (downt'pit), the same family names kept
>> cropping..year after year. Now I'm an adult, same again..

Glad you are keeping up the family tradition there Madf,
 BBC Documentary. - madf
>>
>> >> Comes as no surpise. When I was a lad (downt'pit), the same family names
>> kept
>> >> cropping..year after year. Now I'm an adult, same again..
>>
>> Glad you are keeping up the family tradition there Madf,
>>

Yes: I am like Silvio: always in the news with a (different) bimbo on my arm...:-)
Last edited by: madf on Thu 19 Jul 12 at 13:13
Latest Forum Posts