Non-motoring > Internet Power - Miscellaneous
Thread Author: helicopter Replies: 5

Internet Power - - helicopter
Some time ago in the thread on Bomber Command and the new memorial , I mentioned that I brought out from the cupboard the medals of my uncle who was a Pilot Officer killed during WW11. They had sat there almost 30 years from 1985 or so after clearing her house when my mother died. I had no information about him other than he was my mothers brother and always assumed that he was unmarried.

I read the correspondence again from his CO and the base chaplain to my Grandparents and the letter from the chaplain mentioned his wife.....

Suffice to say that a couple of hours research on Google and an email to a french researcher I found a 70 year old lady in the midlands who is my full cousin and a whole side of my family of which I knew nothing .

I have since visited her with my brother and had a very happy day with her and her family . I presented her with his medals and old family photographs of her father in uniform which she had never seen before..

This has awakened in me an interest in tracing my family history , many sites are free but most of the genealogical sites make a charge. Anybody into these sites and can advise which are the best and most useful ones to join?
Last edited by: retpocileh on Fri 27 Jul 12 at 11:11
 Internet Power - - CGNorwich
"Ancestry" - expensive but the best and most comprehensive.
 Internet Power - - R.P.
Nice one
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 27 Jul 12 at 11:50
 Internet Power - - helicopter
It is a nice story Rob and I have been berating myself for not doing something earlier but it is hardly surprising that I have lost track of family, particularly cousins when my mother was one of 6 children and my father one of 12 ....

My grandfather was a stern Victorian born in 1866 when England had a long serving dedicated female monarch......

...when we had a Conservative Prime Minister, ( Lord John Russell ) .

.....and London bank Overend, Gurney and Company collapsed precipitating a financial crisis....

.....not much changed in England in the last 150 years then.....:0).....
Last edited by: retpocileh on Fri 27 Jul 12 at 12:25
 Internet Power - - Dog
>>"Ancestry" - expensive but the best and most comprehensive.<<

Yep!
 Internet Power - - Arctophile
www.freebmd.org.uk is useful for finding Births, Marriages & Death details.
Latest Forum Posts