Non-motoring > It was bound to happen...... :( Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 19

It was bound to happen...... :( - BobbyG
www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/07/30/twitter-outcry-as-driver-stops-to-take-pic-of-dying-hit-and-run-victim-then-posts-snap-online-instead-of-phoning-999-86908-23914557/

A TEENAGE driver took a photo of a dying hit-and-run victim and posted it on Twitter for a joke.

Ikram Choudhury, 19, saw the man lying in the road but did not try to help or call 999.

Instead, after stopping his own car to look, he tweeted his photo at 1.56am yesterday.

He added the message: “Eeeehm wtf (what the ****)? Some guy just casually lying outside Ocean Terminal.”

Choudhury told his followers the man had been drunk.

When they asked why he didn’t try to help him, he joked that he had feared he would be sexually assaulted if he did.

Several Twitter users urged Choudhury to delete the photo and alert police.

One, Keanne Brown, asked if he had checked if the man was all right, then called him “sick” when he said he had not.

She wrote: “He might be dying and you left him for death.

“You should have seen if he was OK.”

The man Choudhury photographed in a bus lane in Leith, Edinburgh, was mortally wounded when a driver ran him over and failed to stop.

It’s understood he was lying in the bus lane when he was hit.

He lay without help for what may have been a critical 15 minutes until police arrived at 2.10am and called an ambulance. It’s understood officers gave him first aid while waiting for the paramedics.

The man was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary but died of head and internal injuries shortly afterwards.

His name will not be released until next of kin have been informed.

The Record has seen Choudhury’s picture but will not publish it. It remained on his Twitter feed for more than eight hours – until police told him to remove it.

Officers spoke to Choudhury yesterday afternoon at his parents’ Edinburgh home.

A detective who answered
the door confirmed they were interviewing the teenager, but refused to comment.

Choudhury could be prosecuted for failing to help the man but is not a suspect in the hit and run.

Police are looking for a silver Vauxhall Astra hatchback, possibly three-door, which was seen in the area at the time.

A spokesman said: “This has been a horrific accident. The driver fled the scene despite the car suffering damage to its underside and leaking engine coolant.

“The damage will be obvious to anyone who uses the car.

“We are appealing for anyone who recognises this car to come forward.

“In particular, we would like to hear from any service stations or other outlets who may have sold water or engine coolant to the driver of a silver hatchback in the early hours of this morning.”

After the accident, a trail of engine coolant led from the scene to the corner of Ocean Drive and Commercial Street, where a passing driver saw an eastbound car stopped with its bonnet raised.

Officers in paper forensics suits were at the scene yesterday, looking for evidence.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Lothian and Borders Police on 0131 311 3131 or the charity Crimestoppers on 0800555111.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 30 Jul 12 at 19:51
 It was bound to happen...... :( - Westpig
There are some sick, sick people in this world.

1, the clown who ran the person over

2, the equal clown who photographed him and left him to die.

Both as bad as each other.

What thoughtless morons they both are.
 It was bound to happen...... :( - Armel Coussine
To be absolutely fair, there's a third person who might be held partly responsible: the victim. Why was he lying in a bus lane at night?

It's possible of course that wasn't his fault: stroke, heart attack or assault by unknown individuals. But the thing that springs to mind is booze.

O course the Astra driver and twitter **** are disgusting whether the guy had been drunk or not.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 30 Jul 12 at 19:53
 It was bound to happen...... :( - Zero
>> There are some sick, sick people in this world.
>>
>> 1, the clown who ran the person over

To be fair, you don't know the circumstances of that one.

>> 2, the equal clown who photographed him and left him to die.

Yeah, how much would it have taken to DIAL 999 on the phone.

It was bound to happen...... :( - Meldrew
Minor thread drift. In Bracknell, last week, somebody was the victim of a Hit & Run, and the first person who reached him didn't help but stole his wallet!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-19029684

There are scum everywhere!

>> There are scum everywhere!

Its a residential requirement to get a house in Bracknell
Not if you have been there 35 years!
Wouldn't get me staying there for 35 years...
That's a relief!
 It was bound to happen...... :( - Westpig
>> >> 1, the clown who ran the person over
>>
>> To be fair, you don't know the circumstances of that one.

I know enough. Even if the accident were virtually totally the pedestrian's fault, by smashing your Vx Astra up enough that you lose coolant, drive around the corner and have to lift the bonnet to inspect the damage...you know you've hit someone and they are going to be badly injured.
 It was bound to happen...... :( - Iffy
I wonder who was most intoxicated - the driver or the pedestrian?

Ah I didn't read it all.
 It was bound to happen...... :( - Bromptonaut
Something over 25yrs ago I came across a comatose guy half in the road, half in a bus shelter, on Clarendon Road in Watford. No visible injuries and I suspected drunk, drugged or possibly solvented.

Being a good citizen I stopped off up the road to report circs at the cop shop. I was met only with sarcasm; my description of the guy's red shoes got a response along lines of was he Noddy?.

Never heard anything else so assume he was rescued.
 It was bound to happen...... :( - Iffy
Posting the pic was clearly stupid, but Bromp's experience illustrates the difficulties of getting involved.

It was bound to happen...... :( - Robin O'Reliant
I don't understand how Choudhury could be prosecuted for failing to help the injured man, as the paper stated We don't have a good samaritan law in this country.
 It was bound to happen...... :( - Lygonos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outraging_public_decency

Don't know if it fits the criteria for this, but pretty sure similar offence exists in Scotland.

Last example I noted was a few years ago when some kind chap urinated on a local learning disabled girl who was in the process of dying from a seizure.

Nice.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7063366.stm

Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 30 Jul 12 at 20:02
 It was bound to happen...... :( - Roger.
In Spain, one is required by law to stop & render assistance at the site of an RTA.
The only time (in ten+ years) when we may have been required to do so; there were several other cars already stopped at the scene so we drove on.
Last edited by: Roger on Mon 30 Jul 12 at 21:26
 It was bound to happen...... :( - BobbyG
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-19053630

Would appear he had fallen asleep in the bus lane - wonder if the photo was taken before or after he was hit, either way its a tragedy.
 It was bound to happen...... :( - rtj70
Irrelevant why someone is lying in the road isn't it? If someone is in front of your car you need to avoid them, i.e. not driving too fast.

It is irrelevant if they were asleep, fallen over, had a heart attack, etc. He was in the road.
 It was bound to happen...... :( - Cliff Pope
For some reason I'm even more appalled by the action of the bloke stopping to take a photograph than I was by the example of the opportunistic thief taking a dead man's wallet.

But then we live in an age that has deliberately cultivated the habit of passing by or doing nothing to help, which combined with the new cult of photographing everything for the amusement of others brings new opportunities for obscene behaviour.

On the other hand the practice has been long part of the job for reporters and journalists - don't get involved, just report so that others can see the action from their armchairs.
Latest Forum Posts