Non-motoring > Wedding Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 19

Wedding - MD
What is the usual order of speeches at a Wedding. I.E. Groom, Best man and Father of the Bride.

Tia.....Martin.
 Wedding - Clk Sec
This has to be the one for you, MD.

www.devon-weddings.co.uk/speeches.html
 Wedding - henry k
Fantastic find!
 Wedding - R.P.
Any news for us Martin ?
 Wedding - MD
Yes Rob. My only Daughter, in fact only child, gets married in five weeks time. Just doing my homework amongst keeping all the other 'balls' in the air, so to speak.

M
 Wedding - R.P.
Good - hope you enjoy it. My new FiL did - in the end !
 Wedding - Iffy

Last edited by: ifithelps on Wed 5 May 10 at 20:46
 Wedding - Zero
I will check my post for the invite tomorrow.
 Wedding - Ted

I've been there too, with eldest daughter.
It was difficult to compile a speech...I did it in the biggest font I could get on the page and pretended I'd lost me specs !....about 30 pages !
It was made easier by telling the audience all the things that the best man had put in his speech....un-intentionally.
He was a bag of nerves before that...........my performance just added to his misery !

Ted
 Wedding - bathtub tom
Been there. Done that. Got the tee-shirt.

Other parents gave a matching sum for the wedding. I wanted two father of the couples speeches, but the father-of-the-groom wouldn't. I resolved it by starting with "this has been a joint production" with a pause and a look in the appropriate direction.

I then went and spoiled it by saying:
The bride and groom wanted to invite as many of the poor, hungry and impotent of this parish as possible. I can see the poor and the hungry have turned up. I suppose the impotent couldn't come.

After what seemed an interminable pause, the penny dropped from a few thousand feet. My daughter still hasn't forgiven me.

Humph (ISIHAC), you are remembered fondly.
 Wedding - MD
I am out of the same mould BT so watch this space. My Missus said that I MUST run my speech by her. Paxo was the shortened version of my reply.

Thanks to CLK for that link. I think it will be kept as simple as possible though. I guess the Best man runs proceedings? Been to many a wedding, but TBH never take much notice. Should the Groom, Best man and Father of the Bride liaise at all as there is a possibility that the Groom and I will both tell the same tale. Wouldn't matter if I went first though would it? Tee hee.

TIA....................Martin.
 Wedding - R.P.
. I guess the Best man runs proceedings?

Master of Ceremonies from the venue usually. I would keep it simple, less scope for a cock up my BM nor FiL liaised with me (although the BM cleared some tales with me). You should actually go first.
 Wedding - sherlock47
The secret is to keep the more crude double entendres (amphibolies*) only understandable to the more liberally winded and generally younger members of the audience. The only problem is that after the speeches you then have to explain to the grooms god fearing family why half the audience laughed! I achieved this at daughters wedding with the use of a prompt card with WTF written on it - claiming that I had this written it down, but could not remember what is was prompting. At he end of that section of the speech I 'remembered' that it actually meant 'William, thank family'. 2 laughs for the price of one.

*amphibolies - I did not know what it meant either :)
Last edited by: pmh on Thu 6 May 10 at 07:45
 Wedding - MD
Neither did I, but what fun.
 Wedding - bathtub tom
Try this site:

www.hitched.co.uk/speeches/samples/samplespeechhome.aspx
 Wedding - MD
I will have a look at that BT, but I don't need help in writing it. I will do it all from memory. May use a few Bullet points as a reminder just in case I dry up, which is unlikely.

One potential problem that has loomed is that two weeks ago I developed, if developed is the correct terminology, Bell's Palsy. Came on very suddenly and is still with me although there is a slight improvement. I thought I had had a stroke and called an Ambulance and went to A&E. They all thought I had, but a young (and very beautiful) Doctor carried out some co-ordination tests with me and said Bell's doofer. It's getting me down a little in that I seem to get very tired with it. Oh! well, what will be will be.

Anyway if get to go first PU it becomes his (Groom's) problem if I steal his thunder. I know them all very well, guests included and it should be a great day.

I suspect my speech will be very affected by the end of the day hey hey!

Best to all....................Martin.
 Wedding - MJM
It has given me great pleasure taking my daughter up the aisle ----
 Wedding - R.P.
Do the Bullet points thing - I'm very used to public speaking but when I got married I knew there was a serious risk of leaving stuff out (and offending someone) - I literally wrote mine on the back of an envelope that morning !

BTW I was unprepared for the way the world had moved on in the last 25 years - by the time we got home the next day our boat races were all over Facebook - most disconcerting - all the official photos were loaded by the Photographer onto Photobox and he sent us an e-mail link. Mrs PU spent last night putting the photos in an album she bought in M&S - how times have changed eh ?
 Wedding - bathtub tom
We set up a facebook page specifically for all the guests to post their photos. It meant everyone could see all the pics taken. There were some great ones.
 Wedding - R.P.
Strange to see formally posed photos from a slightly different angle - almost better in a way.
Latest Forum Posts