Non-motoring > Bike - twist shifter repair Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 5

Bike - twist shifter repair - Focusless
I think the twist shifter on my £180 Carrera Subway 1 has gone, or rather the cable inside it has perhaps worn out. I noticed that it seemed like the gears needed adjusting on the commute today, but trying to adjust them this evening eventually resulted in something seeming to 'go'.

The cable looks fine all the way from where it comes out of the shifter to the derailleur, so I think the problem must be inside the shifter itself. It's labeled SRAM 3.0 comp, ,manual here:
www.sram.com/en/service/sram/tech_manuals_2004.php

I don't know if this is a typical shifter, but is it likely to be easy to fix? Looking at the manual it looks like the sort of thing I might be able to work out eventually, but not without difficulty I suspect. I've replaced brake cables before, but nothing much more complicated than that.

Anyone had experience with these or similar?
 Bike - twist shifter repair - Runfer D'Hills
Never had a twist shift Focus but I'd bet it's the soldered end of the cable which has broken off. Almost certainly a doddle to fix if so but I've never tried dismantling one. Have a shufti on "Bikeradar" they'll help you on their forum.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Wed 5 May 10 at 21:19
 Bike - twist shifter repair - Focusless
>> Have a shufti on "Bikeradar" they'll help you on their forum.

Will do, thanks Humph.
 Bike - twist shifter repair - Duncan
I think this is a very clear site.

bicycletutor.com/
 Bike - twist shifter repair - Bromptonaut
An alternative to bikeradar is cyclechat www.cyclechat.net/forums/index.php

History is similar to HJ and this site.
 Bike - twist shifter repair - bathtub tom
Yes my bike has got these useless devices. I'd recommend buying a decent shifter.

I replaced a broken cable, but it didn't work satisfactorily for ages, until I took it apart again and found the cable had slipped off part of the spool. It's now better, but still nowhere as good as (what I think is called) a fast shifter.

I found you can buy internal cables from Wilkinson's for 80p. Gives you plenty of scope for playing around with the damn things!
Latest Forum Posts