Non-motoring > Finding Faults Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 12

Finding Faults - Bromptonaut
Not car related but has echoes for four wheeled troubles.

Riding to and from work yesterday the eponymous folding bike was making a strange squeak going on for light grind type noise. The new one has a gear problem so I'm riding the ten year old five speed - wear and tear manifest from time to time.

Seemed more evident at speed and in higher gears or possibly when riding rough surfaces. Freewheel, pedal, up and down the hubgear; definitely present but infuriatingly intermittent. Rough surfaces might point to a problem with he suspension elastomer no amount of bouncing at traffic lights replicates. After five minutes give up worrying; it's not bad enough to stop me getting to Euston and home.

Folding bike up to stow it in the car I spotted the sellotape loop (strayed from Bromptonette's L plates) stuck round the mudguard stay in just the right place to rub the tyre!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 5 May 10 at 22:55
 Finding Faults - bathtub tom
I had a similarly worrying noise from the front forks of a motorbike forty-odd years ago.

I found one fork fractured entirely around it's circumference and the other halfway. Presumably as a result of riding into the back of the car that had pulled out in front of me a few weeks earlier.
 Finding Faults - BiggerBadderDave
I punctured both tyres on my bike today, can't for the life of me figure out how it could have happened but just been into the garage and they're both flat.

Perhaps some nasty neighbour has a stinger...
 Finding Faults - Runfer D'Hills
Weight stress prob'ly
I am uber trim as you will shortly find out...
 Finding Faults - Runfer D'Hills
Oh heck !!

:-(
I will keep my pants fastened.
 Finding Faults - Zero
yeah, dont overwork that brain.
I'll leave that to the wife
 Finding Faults - L'escargot
>> The new one has a gear problem so
>> I'm riding the ten year old five speed - wear and tear manifest from time
>> to time.

Sturmey-Archer hubs made in my younger days used to last the life of the bicycle, and bicycle frames had a lifetime guarantee.

www.sturmey-archer.com/history
 Finding Faults - -
I preferred the good old Sturmey Archer to the Derailleur, as you say L'es never went wrong, i had a good 3 speed version but ISTR my elder brothers bike having a 4 speed.

I wonder if the action of having to change gear properly made sympathetic gear changing a natural thing long before we were taught to drive.

So as to not go too far off topic i may start a thread on gearchanging.
 Finding Faults - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>> Sturmey-Archer hubs made in my younger days used to last the life of the bicycle,
>> and bicycle frames had a lifetime guarantee.
>>
Some carbon fibre frames come with a lifetime gaurantee, and they don't weight as much as a battleship.
 Finding Faults - Zero
>> Sturmey-Archer hubs made in my younger days used to last the life of the bicycle,
>> and bicycle frames had a lifetime guarantee.
>>
>> www.sturmey-archer.com/history

Yes those were the days when your bike was your only way to get to work, and cost a months wages.

These days I could buy 5 bikes a month.
Latest Forum Posts