Non-motoring > Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 10   [Read only]
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 99

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 10 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 11 *****

Volume 10 - NO CARS :-)

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 9 is here

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 17 Oct 12 at 01:58

Uber excited train spotter U.S. style - Dog
Watch the video!!

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2183240/Is-excited-trainspotter-world-Hilarious-video-shows-railfan-going-loco-special-heritage-equipment.html

Uber excited train spotter U.S. style - Zero
LOL

Mind you, dont those US train horns sound great,.

5 Spitfires. - R.P.
Flying in close formation off the North Wales Coast at Rhyl on Saturday. Unmistakable sound and shame, spine tingling.

5 Spitfires. - John H
>> Unmistakable sound and shame, spine tingling.
>>

shame?

5 Spitfires. - R.P.
Pride !
 5 Spitfires. - R.P.
Dunno what happened there - multitasking in work see !

5 Spitfires. - Clk Sec
I like the Welsh accent.

5 Spitfires. - John H
>> Dunno what happened there - multitasking in work see !

"predictive" or "auto-correct/complete" software on the iPhone to blame?

iphoneappcafe.com/15-most-hilarious-auto-corrects-gone-wrong/

fyouautocorrect.com/

plus many others.

Last edited by: John H on Tue 14 Aug 12 at 13:33

5 Spitfires. - R.P.
It was on a dual screen desktop - no excuses - still don't know what made me type that - probably gabbing here !

London to New York in an hour? - Focusless
"Hypersonic jet WaveRider is to undergo another test flight above the Pacific Ocean aiming to reach Mach 6."
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19257769

"The WaveRider test flight is expected to last for about five minutes. At the end of it, the aircraft will break into pieces and fall into the Pacific."

Not quite ready for production yet then :)

London to New York in an hour? - R.P.
Hope they don't call it Comet...

London to New York in an hour? - Bigtee
We were at RAF Conningsby on Sat/Sun/Mon saw the Hurricane come back & Spitfire both fly low over the base hanger and come to rest outside there hanger which is were we were.

Sunday the Spitfires returned nice to see them and the pilots talked to the kids handing out target maps from there displays my lad got a map.

Monday waited for a bit to see the Lancaster return after it's brake problem but we had to depart home but got to see many Typhoons the eurofighter at the back of the base a nice car park with a burger van a spotters paradise for photo's.

London to New York in an hour? - zookeeper
conningsby is very accomadating for the spotter i find...as long as you dont block the fire brigades gates

London to New York in an hour? - zookeeper
was in the hangar at conningsby about 7 year ago...a tractor was shoving the lancaster back in after an aborted display in wales...rain stopped play i assume..them merlin xx's are a bit prone to the damp now ...a bit like us

Vulcan Bomber fly past at Beachy Head in Sussex - Dog
WOW!

www.liveleak.com/view?i=7cb_1345062432

Vulcan Bomber fly past at Beachy Head in Sussex - Alastairw
Saw the Vulcan at Waddington last summer - she makes a lovely noise!

Vulcan Bomber fly past at Beachy Head in Sussex - Dog
Awesome flying machine (in its day) used against the Argies c1982, I wouldn't mind buying one (if I won the Lotto)

Vulcan Bomber fly past at Beachy Head in Sussex - zookeeper
bruntingthorpes the place to go see the vulcan

Vulcan Bomber fly past at Beachy Head in Sussex - CGNorwich
Saw it at the Airbourne show last week. An awesome thing. Always have mixed feelings when I see these things. Can't help but admire the technical expertise in making and flying such a machine but also am aware what it was made for.

Vulcan Bomber fly past at Beachy Head in Sussex - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Can't help but admire the technical expertise in making and
>> flying such a machine but also am aware what it was made for.
>>
'the sound of freedom', CG.
One can argue til the cows come home about the NATO nuclear deterrent, of which the Vulcan was a part, but at the end of the day, you do still live in a 'free' country.

I wouldn't argue against nuclear deterrent, at least not in the era of the Vulcan but you can't help but think what an appalling thing a hydrogen bomb is and what a better world it would be if such a thing did not exist. I always fee the same when looking at weapons.

Vulcan Bomber fly past at Beachy Head in Sussex - Ian (Cape Town)
CG, again, it is a cows-come-home argument.
We've recently seen the Hiroshima/Nagasaki anniversary, and all the cries of how it was unjustified.
Speak to anyone who fought the Japanese in that theatre (very few of them left nowadays), and they'll tell you what they thought of it all.
Anything which will kill the other side, and prevent chaps on your own side dying, is justifiable, when you are in the trenches.

I'm not arguing one way or the other. I just have a feeling of the futility and waste of it all whenever I see things like the Vulcan or the trenches in France. It's perfectly possible to understand war, the necessity of it at the time and admire the courage and bravery involved but still find it incredibly depressing. Part of the human condition I suppose

Chuff Chuff... - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-19298639

Actually passed these engines on a low loader the other day...meant to mention it then.

Chuff Chuff... - spamcan61
Cheers, I thought that was one of those fancy Fairlie jobbies until I looked closely.

BBC4 wed. programme on post war UK jets - spamcan61
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m85vv

Might be worth finding an E180 for.

Noticed my trusty Vestel T825 HDD recorder wouldn't set this up as a recording, until after I'd done a new channel scan. I suspect this is something to do with the post Olympics BBC4 transmit format, which is also confusing some Panasonic TVs at the moment.

BBC4 wed. programme on post war UK jets - Focusless
Very enjoyable - thanks sc.

Overlapped a bit with a programme I've watched previously on breaking the sound barrier, worth catching if you haven't seen it (but I'm guessing you have). Can't remember the details.

Panhard et Levassor - Bromptonaut
Thought this was a long dead company. However the French Army were doing their PR stuff in Strasbourg yesterday complete with P&L amphibious personnel transport. Will try and post piccy later when I manage to find the phone - PC lead.

Panhard et Levassor - Gromit
The Irish army had Panhard personnel carriers for some time too - mostly used on UN peacekeeping duties. AFAIK.

EE Lightning crash report - Ian (Cape Town)
Ouch.
Long and detailed report.

www.caa.co.za/resource%20center/accidents%20&%20incid/reports/2009/8706.pdf

Talk about a list of incompetence and shoddy procedure-following.
And definitely questions have to be asked as to why the thing was allowed to fly here anyways? Brown envelope, anyone?

EE Lightning crash report - Focusless
One thing that was mentioned on the UK jets programme last night (see above) was how difficult the Lightning was to service, and that was by fully trained RAF blokes.

Focus, I noticed that from the CAA letter to the local authorities.
In fact, that whole report is a frightening indicator of how people 'get away with it'.
The guy's company had already pranged a Canberra and a coupe of Hunters, IIRC, BEFORE the import fiasco.

Still, was a useful piece of kit to watch. Shame it had to end like that.

EE Lightning crash report - No FM2R
Reads like someone had a friend in the Aviation Authority.

>> Reads like someone had a friend in the Aviation Authority.
>>
Friends indeed.
Amazing what the brown envelope can do.
the frightening thing is that the Lighning used to come in over my house when they did displays at the local racing circuit, which is a mile away.
I know this, as after a late night/early morning, staggering home at about 4am, the guy lit the afterburners as he passed over my bedroom at about 9am, and pointed it heavenwards.
Best hangover cure ever. NOT!
Imagine if he'd ploughed in to a residential area on a saturday morning, after things went 'hinky'?

EE Lightning crash report - sherlock47
If you have at least an hour to spare, the report makes fascinating reading.

Whether the owner or operator should be allowed to continue to provide aircraft for public airshows must be up for debate. (If I missed this in the report, anybody who reads it will understand why!) Are the organisers of the show culpable in not checking the pilots, aircraft records etc

Makes one think about attending airshows as a member of the public.

The business and planes are up for sale, pmh.
he still has 2 x single-seat Lightnings a couple of bucaneers, and a strikemaster, AFAIK.
Thunder City, if you want to look it up.

But as I've hinted at, I suspect that a few laws wee 'bent' to allow them to get away with stuff for as long as they did.

EE Lightning crash report - henry k
>>The business and planes are up for sale, pmh
>>
Some tyres flogged to the Bloodhound project
www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19365661

EE Lightning crash report - L'escargot
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19365661

I can't wait to see a video of that in action.

>> I can't wait to see a video of that in action.
>>
Why not come out and see it in the flesh?
I'm definitely going to be there for at least some of the test days. Probably spend a few weeks up that part of the world, on a 'gents jolly' - tents, beer, barbeque etc.

If you (or anyone else) is keen, and can get to Cape Town, we can organise a big SUV etc.
I've got a few chaps who want to come along, and there's plenty of bods from Johannesburg who'll also be there for a meet-up.

EE Lightning crash report - bathtub tom
>>Some tyres flogged to the Bloodhound project

I just read that. Ambivalent best describes my thoughts.

Royal Air France - devonite
Apart from France being a Presidency, where does this Aircraft get its name? and what is it doing around the isle of Man??

Fightradar24.com

flight No AED016

oops edit! - should have put my glasses on ! its RAF!!! - but still, whats it doing?
Last edited by: devonite on Mon 3 Sep 12 at 15:37

Royal Air France - Bromptonaut
Now showing as Royal Air Force. One of the new Airbus tanker/transports so I imagine its a mobile service station for thirsty Typhoons on exercise over the Irish Sea.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 3 Sep 12 at 15:40

Royal Air France - devonite
Cheers! there has been a few jets buzzin about today, so it looks as if your right! - I was blaming my Eyes but it WAS originally posted as Royal Air France!! just co-incidence that they righted it whilst i was compiling the above post!!

Royal Air France - rtj70
Judging by it's flight route, it came from Madrid and his heading back there. And flew around the Isle of Man a fair bit.

Royal Air France - sherlock47
Seems to be based at Madrid? Several flights from there over the last couple of weeks. Do the RAF keep them at foreign bases for action around the med?

www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/zz-330
Last edited by: pmh on Mon 3 Sep 12 at 16:27

Royal Air France - Zero
The flightpath and pattern is more in line with anti submarine patrols.

Royal Air France - rtj70
Aren't they still testing these planes?

Royal Air France - Old Navy
>> The flightpath and pattern is more in line with anti submarine patrols.
>>

Its not a Nimrod Zero.

Royal Air France - Zero
I know its not equipped as such, but that route flightpath is certainly not a refuelling one.

It could be testing, landing and take off fully loaded in high temperatures for example.

Royal Air France - rtj70
Looking at a few flight paths it says testing to me. It will have circled over the Isle of Man for a bit like it would circle if providing a refueling platform in operations.

Well that's my theory anyway.

And don't forget the planes are being turned into refuelling planes in Madrid ;-)

www.spaintechnology.com/icex/cda/controller/pageGen/0,3346,1549487_6719796_6728280_4547540,00.html
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 3 Sep 12 at 18:34

Royal Air France - sooty123
Just seen this now. As above it's the new AAR for the RAF. It's been converted in Madrid it sometimes does 'dry' AAR. The rest of the time it will work with 41 Sqn's Tornados. It won't be refuelling Typhoons as it's not cleared on them yet. It's still in test and trial as it has a few problems.

Royal Air France - R.P.
There has been a lot of fast jet activity here last few nights. Thought it was Hawks doing night landing stuff - but these were the big boys last night.

'but these were the big boys last night.'

Hercs?

Royal Air France - R.P.
Faster jets than the Hawks. You get to recognise the noises ! No-one complains around here about low-flying. Apart from one idiot ex-councillor who complains about anything and everything to get his weasel face in the press.
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 27 Sep 12 at 18:41

Might have been Tonkas from sunny swamplands.

Steamer Today 27 September - Bromptonaut
Simmering steam engine and rake of deep red coaches waiting at Willesden WL Junction 09:15 today with 47 500 in rear. Steamer looked like a Southern type, possibly BoB class Tangmere.

Zero can probably tell us more and where it was off to.

Steamer Today 27 September - Focusless
www.uksteam.info/tours/t12/t0927b.htm ?

Steamer Today 27 September - Zero
That's the one, Tangmere. ( it's the only BoB main line certified).

I am on the platform at Chelsfield - due about 12:40 here

Steamer Today 27 September - Zero
Vid will be here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f28-2jc-5d4

in about an hour.

Steamer Today 27 September - Dog
S'nice (I've missed em) clear shot - good sound - and no wind noise!

I liked that night shot you took on my birthday too :)

Steamer Today 27 September - Bromptonaut
Nice Vid Z

Red arrows - bathtub tom
I'm just back from a week in Minorca. Had a few hours to spare yesterday, so went and watched the red arrows do their stuff over Mahon harbour.

Absolutely priceless.

There was a group wearing 'Sloane helicopters' clothing. Any link to our resident egg-whisk jockey?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 28 Sep 12 at 00:27

Red arrows - Bromptonaut
Sloane helicopters are based across town from me at Sywell

www.sloanehelicopters.com/

Quite a big outfit these days including a Majorcan subsidiary. I think our chap might work for the much bigger Redhill based firm

Vulcan XH558 - Bromptonaut
To mark the type's 60th anniversary XH558, the last flying Avro Vulcan, will be doing a tour of Vulcan related sites on Sunday. Manchester/Woodford, Hawarden and Filton are included. Return to Doncaster should bring her over my gaff.

Hve a newsletter at home with more detail but cannot find same info on website.

Progress on day will be updated by the operators twitter feed.

Vulcan XH558 - Focusless
There's this, which includes a link to the proposed route in Google maps:
www.itv.com/news/central/2012-09-27/flight-to-mark-vulcan-bomber-60th-anniversary/

EDIT: said link: goo.gl/maps/VXB83
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 27 Sep 12 at 15:36

Flight paths - RattleandSmoke
Has the flight patch changed round Manchester Airport? Usually where I live you don't see planes close as it is not on the flight patch, but I saw a Virgin 747 400 fly so low over our house I could almost read its registration number.

Also been hearing them much louder than usual too which suggests the flight path has been altered. Is this due to the weather?

Flight paths - Alastairw
Its the weather. Have mostly been climbing out over Stockport lately, when usually they are decending.

Loads of useful info here:

www.plane-mad.com/forums/manchester/

Tornado - Mapmaker
I was irritated to be parked on a train in Reading station next to 60163 Tornado (Cathedrals Express) on Sunday evening for about an hour, whilst BR cleaned the remains of somebody's body off the line.

Anyway, why does it not have a matching set of coaches to pull? Video of it here, earlier on Sunday.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBE3ecQbRO0&feature=plcp

Tornado - commerdriver
That guy does some good videos, wonder who he is?

Tornado - Zero
Thats a good video, I wonder who took that?

I cant quite make out if you were irritated to be stuck due to the guzzunder, because it was at Reading, or because you were next to Tornado.

Re the coaches, there is only a limited number of BR MK1 coaches around to make up these tours. And they are from various regions, so they like to keep them in the colours they got them.

One coach will always be different to the rest of the rake, thats the support coach directly behind the engine.

Tornado - Mapmaker
Sorry, it was Slough. I was irritated to be stuck for an hour late at night on account of raspberry jam on the lines.

Tornado - Zero
Ah just irritated by the guzzunder. Thats ok.
 Tornado - Focusless
>> I cant quite make out if you were irritated to be stuck due to the
>> guzzunder, because it was at Reading, or because you were next to Tornado.

Have you been to Reading recently? Still a massive amount of work going on - main passenger building starting to take shape, although the new engine sheds(?) to the right of the line as it heads west look pretty impressive.

While the work is in progress however some of the old platforms are rather cramped, and roofless :(

Tornado - devonite
Yep! - why put such a raggle-taggle set of coaches behind a "classic" on a day out?

And what were they burning? cheap coal and car tyres?

p.s
If that was you on Kingandcastle`s video Z, may I suggest you wear a Bobble-hat and at least look like a genuine Anorak whilst your stood there exhibiting your tri-pod! ;-)
Last edited by: devonite on Tue 2 Oct 12 at 14:28

Tornado - Zero
It was, and I dont.

Tornado - Zero

>> And what were they burning? cheap coal and car tyres?

It came out of Southall, which is the southern base for DBS, who are the ToC for some of the tours. Southhall took a bunker load of cheap eastern european coal, disgusting stuff.

British Steam engines were designed to run on good Welsh coal.

Spitfire. - Zero
Was wandering around Petworth Park today, and I heard the distintive sound of a pair of Merlins. In the distance the silhouettes of two single engine monoplanes could be seen, doing joint aerobatics over the area of Pulborough / Storrington. One then flew over and started doing barrel rolls over Midhurst, where it could be identified as a Spitfire.

No Idea why.

Spitfire. - Dog
Could've popped into Lud Mansions for an Apple while you were there.

Spitfire. - devonite
Could be the Burmese Artifacts being tested!

Spitfire. - nyx2k
a spitfire landed at goodwood this morning. superb sound

Spitfire. - bathtub tom
>> Could be the Burmese Artifacts being tested!

Have they been found and recovered? Last I heard was they thought they knew where they might be.

Anniversary - Ted

60th anniversary today of England's worst train crash.
Remember reading about it in the paper as a small boy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8POJtdBlGM

112 poor souls perished when the Perth to London sleeper ploughed into the rear of a standing local train. The Perth locomotive skidded over the platform into the path of a double headed Manchester and Liverpool express.

A lot of the dead were British Railways office staff commuting to Euston.

A sad day.

Ted

Anniversary - sherlock47
What is the object at 1.20 - 1.21? People seem to watch it!

Anniversary - Bromptonaut
The pile up of carriages brought down the station's platform overbridge. Until recently the replaced section was clearly discernible from the different shade of the lead roof.

Anniversary - R.P.
Bizarrely it looks like a white football - it certainly bounces in a football like way

Anniversary - bathtub tom
You can see it rising to the right of the screen and it looks like a guy in a dark coat's preparing to catch it, but it goes behind him.

Anniversary - R.P.
Defintately an object (as opposed to a film flaw sort of thing) - it bounces like a ball - interesting.

Anniversary - Zero
Someone is throwing something to the people in the middle. Its a crowded scene wreckage everywhere, access is limited. The geezer in black with glasses is calling for it. Could be bandages/towels/blankets. Something soft.

I have filmed something that came out of that crash. Sort of. 46202 Princess Anne* was one of the locos destroyed in that crash. That left a gap for a high power loco in the roster so 710000 Duke of York was built, and I have video'd that.

*46202 Princess Anne had an interesting history, it was rebuilt with traditional cylinders from the only steam turbine loco that ran on BR - Turbomotive.

Anniversary - R.P.
Very hiigh quality vid though.

Anniversary - Harleyman
710000 Duke of York was built, and I
>> have video'd that.

Surely shome mistake? ;-)

Anniversary - Dog
Why did the clock stop at the time of the crash?

Anniversary - Ted

The engine of the Perth sleeper, City of Glasgow was actually repaired and put back into service.

The Princess, together with it's pilot engine, Jubilee class Windward Islands, was scrapped.

There were some ' miracle ' escapes.
The guard of the local saw what was going to happen and jumped over the edge of the opposite platform to his train...hoping for the best.....he lived.
The man running the W.H.Smith kiosk had just gone out onto the platform to retrieve a newspaper when the whole thing erupted around him...he was left standing in a small clearing surrounded by debris.
The fireman of one of the down express engines was thrown from his cab and regained his wits to find himself sat on the side of his overturned tender.

The enquiry could give no reason why the City of Glasgow ran through red signals.
Examination of the loco found the regulator shut and the brake fully applied. Both of the crew were killed.

Ted

Anniversary - Bromptonaut
>> Why did the clock stop at the time of the crash?

The wreckage, as one train 'climbed' over another piled up to the extent that it destroyed the footbridge. Suspect the clock's works were damaged either by being directly hit or the wider impact on the building.

Anniversary - Dog
Okay, I was thinking along the 'lines' of my psychical research.

:-))

Shrewsbury signal box. - R.P.
Just watched a clip on Built in Britain about the above - fascinating - juxtaposed amongst modern flat screened computers and other modern paraphernalia war a 109 year old railway track signalling system, still in everyday use and seemed to be working well....are we too clever for our own good maybe ??

Shrewsbury signal box. - Zero
Think you mean Severn Bridge Junction signal box. Largest remaining mechanical lever box in the world. Now while I am first to admit that its a joy to see (semaphore signals, lever frames building architecture, etc etc) i am not sure its world record to crow about int he 21st century.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 14 Oct 12 at 22:51

Shrewsbury signal box. - henry k
>>Now while I am first to admit that its a joy to see...
>>
Come and see a slightly newer signal box that has been built and is being equiped.
malden-dsme.co.uk/public/hcj.html

Its a few miles from Malden and hidden away.
malden-dsme.co.uk/public/opendays.html
Loads and loads of info and photos.

Shrewsbury signal box. - Ted

Our local box, Chorlton Junction, was unusual in having 3 sets of instruments as the lines of 3 pre-grouping companies met there.

The Midland and the Great Central ran into the Manchester South District Railway...later part of the Cheshire Lines Committee. The Great Northern had running powerrs over the GC and CLC.

I used to go for a cuppa on the night shift. One night, it was all gone....shame, I would have loved one of the nameboards ( totems ). I also used to check on the night signalman at Fallowfield on the GC loop line. Again, one night I drove down and it was just a pile of rubble. I still have the 6ft long nameboard from that one, although it could do with restoring.

Ted

Chinese steam. - Ted

Some cracking film of Chinese industrial steam in 2011.

14 minutes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf8FFRRloJU

I can't think of anywhere worse to work, though. I suspect H&S don't have much involvement !

Ted

Latest Forum Posts