Non-motoring > Facebook privacy bemusement Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 30

Facebook privacy bemusement - Mapmaker
If I click on Privacy settings, and then timeline/tagging, it states that only friends can post on my timeline, and only friends can see what is posted there.

Yet, when I click on the cog, and go to "view timeline as public do" absolutely everything is visible. Including all photographs of me.

Help!

Have now RTFM. All sorted. At bottom of "privacy" - limit all posts.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Thu 9 Aug 12 at 12:13
 Facebook privacy bemusement - teabelly
What's your default privacy set as? If it's public then everything is public... that seems to over ride anything else.
 Facebook privacy bemusement - Zero
Privacy and facebook should not be mentioned in the same sentence.
 Facebook privacy bemusement - madf
>> Privacy and facebook should not be mentioned in the same sentence.
>>

+1

Anyone who posts anything on FB is tacitly allowing the world to see it in my view.
 Facebook privacy bemusement - Armel Coussine
>> Anyone who posts anything on FB is tacitly allowing the world to see it in my view.

Or anywhere on the internet, or on any kind of telephone or telegraph. Even if you murmur into someone's ear in a noisy open space - Trafalgar Square say - your enemies can be lurking on a roof with a powerful directional mike (they do work you know) backed up by a team of multilingual lip readers.

You think you have secrets? Sucker.

The thing I noticed in my short brush with Facebook - all Pat's fault - was its tar-baby quality: it's very difficult to scrape off when you get tired of it.
 Facebook privacy bemusement - John H
>> You think you have secrets? Sucker.
>>

This story this week should act as a warning that even the mighty Apple is insecure:

www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2012/aug/08/apple-amazon-patch-security
" .... attack erased Honan's digital existence and wiped clean the contents of his iPad, iPod and MacBook hard drive, including all his pictures of his one-year-old daughter. It obliterated eight years of Gmail messages. It culminated in the hijacking of his Twitter account, .... "

Full details:
www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/

Facebook privacy bemusement - Dutchie
Next thing we be chipped A.C just in case we get lost.Don't use google either to much information.>:)
 Facebook privacy bemusement - Pat
>> - all Pat's fault -<<

Not really, it was all that Oil Rags fault......whatever happened to him?

He wanted a private space for a selected few and then threw a wobbly and left it in my lap!

Pat
>> Not really, it was all that Oil Rags fault..

Sorry Pat. I had forgotten it was so complicated.

Oilrag is a sensitive cat. I think he got a bit bored with our car enthusiasm and general thuggishness. Wasn't sure how to take it when people teased and jeered. I hope he hasn't got covered in mud in those Philippines floods.
>> What's your default privacy set as? If it's public then everything is public... that seems
>> to over ride anything else.

No. "Default" was set at friends. "The who can view posts" was set as friends. And yet it was all public.

There is nothing on Facebook that I would be acutely ashamed if it were to be published in the Newspaper. (I assume that when I become a mass murderer/thieving banker those photos of me wearing a dress that will resurface whatever my Facebook settings (or absence therefrom). But they exist in their own right and are not under my control anyway.) However, I do not really want a casual browser (colleague, perhaps) to see them.
 Facebook privacy bemusement - teabelly
Just because the 'see this as public' shows everything doesn't mean it is actually the case. I'd be more likely to believe it is a snafu with browsing as another person. I've noticed that before. Browse as someone else suggests it's open then you check later and it's how you'd expect and closed off.
 Facebook privacy bemusement - Old Navy
So glad I don't have a "Digital life".

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2184915/Apple-Amazon-security-lapses-exposed-writer-entire-digital-life-destroyed-hackers-minutes.html
What a nightmare. I do have a digital life with important (to me) stuff on it. But I do make backup copies of everything important on flashdrives. Got an external HD too.

And of course no ipoodles or all singing and dancing mobile phones or raspberries or anything like that. Perish the thought.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 9 Aug 12 at 18:01
 Facebook privacy bemusement - No FM2R
>>flashdrives

Are you aware that flashdrives wear out? Its writing to them which causes the fastest wear, so do be cautious about reusing the same one too often for important backups. No media is totally safe but I would recommend against a situation where a flashdrive is your only copy of something.
>> So glad I don't have a "Digital life".
>>

see my earlier post above.

Facebook privacy bemusement - madf
>> So glad I don't have a "Digital life".
>>
>>
>>
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2184915/Apple-Amazon-security-lapses-exposed-writer-entire-digital-life-destroyed-hackers-minutes.html
>>

Another "muppet backs up nothing and loses it all" story.

Yawn :-)
>> Another "muppet backs up nothing and loses it all" story.
>>
>> Yawn :-)
>>

And I thought it was about how easy it is for hackers to access supposedly private information, silly me.

But then I am not an IT geek.
>> Another "muppet backs up nothing and loses it all" story.
>>
>> Yawn :-)
>>

Another muppet who missed the point of the story.

Let me spell it out - The story is not that he lost it all, the story is that lax security at Apple et al allowed a hacker access to his accounts.

Facebook privacy bemusement - Zero
>> >> Another "muppet backs up nothing and loses it all" story.
>> >>
>> >> Yawn :-)
>> >>
>>
>> Another muppet who missed the point of the story.
>>
>> Let me spell it out - The story is not that he lost it all,
>> the story is that lax security at Apple et al allowed a hacker access to
>> his accounts.

No the story is about a muppet who had lax security on everything he owned, and linked it all together. Funnily enough, he is also a tech writer - should have know better.

Wait a moment - Spoke to the bloke who hacked him? was able to do it all again in a mock attack? Oh No I see - the blokes a tech journo and its all a contrived story.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Aug 12 at 19:42
 Facebook privacy bemusement - R.P.
I like FB - Nothing goes on it that I would be ashamed of in public. I am a member of three town groups where I have lived and I have had hours of pleasure from them made new friends and met some old ones, as I have with two BMW bike pages - I now have friends in the US, Holland, Argentina and Japan who would be welcome here anytime. I am a member of a closed professional group where we chat about things in a more open way than we would elsewhere, but nothing hurtful or libellous. I could do without the public side of these days. But I enjoy that a little as well. My privacy is locked down, you'd never find me on a search and if you did stumble across my "home page" you wouldn't see anything of mine. I've tested it with a shadow account.
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 9 Aug 12 at 20:55
>>I've tested it with a shadow account.

You and approximately 83m others if the papers are to be believed.
 Facebook privacy bemusement - R.P.
I can well believe it. It's funny the friends that shadow account has attracted. People from abroad I've never heard of !
 Facebook privacy bemusement - Dulwich Estate
Call me paranoid, but my view is that if you've typed it and sent it anywhere on the net it is not secure. OK, it may be next to impossible for a tech apprentice like me, but I bet someone can find you if they want to.

As for backing up in the "cloud" or whatever it's called must be asking for trouble. If it's there it can be found.

I often fear I reveal too much here.

As I said before, call me paranoid if you want to.
 Facebook privacy bemusement - Dutchie
You are not the only one who feels that way Dulwich.We shouldn't have to live in a soceity where you have to fear a knock on the door.There is to much scaremongering going on.
This interweb thingy has its uses, taxed the car in minutes today, but the local post office is closing. :-(

Internet banking, no chance, if someone else's electrickery looses some of my cash, (it is well spread out), I know who to sue. :-)
See what I mean?

news.sky.com/story/970723/new-cyber-threat-hits-middle-east-banks
>>but I bet someone can find you if they want to.

Actually surprisingly difficult to choose the person and then find a communication of their's. Typically not the way its done, and really requires physical access to one or more of the machines involved. That is not to say it cannot be done, but it is much much more difficult than you think.

What is far easier, and actually the true risk, is that someone will find a communication or piece of information and then manage to find the person. That is quite do-able and requires not much in the way of equipment or skill.

i.e. if I know you well and wish to try and find the e-mail that you sent declaring undying love for me to a third party, then without direct access to those email accounts, or without physical access to one of those machines, then I'm pretty much stumped.

However, if I find an e-mail with loads of personal information about you, but perhaps no name for example, then that is much easier to solve.

Wasn't it Jeremy Clarkson who challenged people to hack into his bank account ?

It was done in a couple of days I think.
 Facebook privacy bemusement - rtj70
Nobody hacked into JCs account. But he posted enough details for someone to take money from his account via DD.
Oh - so that's alright and safe then !
>> Oh - so that's alright and safe then !
>>

He only provided the same information as is on any cheque you write. It was the bank's fault for not checking the DD was appropriately authorised. The fault is in the DD system, really.

But some bank IT systems are scarily easy to access. I forgot my username and password for a bank account I don't use. The automated internet banking system gave me a whole new set on the basis of the scantest of (probably publically available) information.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 10 Aug 12 at 14:39
Latest Forum Posts