Non-motoring > Have you decided who to vote for yet? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 85

Have you decided who to vote for yet? - SteelSpark
I must say, I am finding it very difficult to get fired up about any of the parties.

I am going to pop down to the polling station in an hour or two, and I guess I will have to decide between now and then.

Anybody else undecided? Anybody just not going to bother?
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - R.P.
I'm off shortly - once I've had that other cup of tea etc etc.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Fenlander
I've just been and it was deserted... the clerks said they'd never known it so quiet. For better or worse I had a clear idea of my main candidate based on the party I wish to see win. The local election vote was for a different party guy based on his local reputation.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Stuu
I cant vote - apparently they have forgotten where I live. Strange that. New Labour policy maybe!
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Dog
We voted over a week ago (postal) ... I think we've backed the winner.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Iffy
I decided who I would vote for about 35 years ago - one instinctively knows when something is right.

Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Bromptonaut
Expect I'll go through the motions but in this seat (Daventry) the conservative already has his bag packed for Westminster.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Clk Sec
A foregone conclusion in my area - thank goodness. We'll be voting this evening and having a couple of drinks on the way home.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - ....
>> I decided who I would vote for about 35 years ago - one instinctively knows
>> when something is right.
>>
I didn't know Croft Original was standing.

Who would people vote for if it were purely based on their road policies ?

Conservative
• The party says it opposes road-pricing.

• The Conservatives will introduce a 'fair fuel stabiliser' to cut fuel duty as oil prices rise and increase it as oil prices fall.

• Cancel funding for new fixed speed cameras and instead promote 'better' road safety measures.

• Work towards a national recharging network for electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles.

• The Conservatives would ensure that additional revenues from new green taxes would be used to reduce taxation elsewhere.

-----------------

Green Party

• Block all new major road building.

• Cut speed limits to 20mph in urban areas and to 55mph on motorways.

• Increase road fuel tax by 8% each year.

• The Greens will support road pricing schemes.

• Replace road tax with a charge that penalises 'oversized' or overpowered' vehicles.

• The Greens would cut greenhouse gas emissions by 90% from 1990 levels by 2030 - approximately 10% per year.

• Scrap incentives for bio-fuels.

-----------------

Labour

• Labour's manifesto has ruled out the introduction of national road pricing in the next parliament.

• The party will pursue motorway widening as a method of reducing congestion.

• Labour would install 100,000 electric vehicle charging points by 2015.

• Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by more than 34% by 2020 and 80% by 2050.

-----------------

Liberal Democrats

• The Lib Dems would switch freight traffic from the roads to an improved rail network – paid for by cutting major roads budget.

• A Liberal Democrat administration would be committed in the long-term to a 'revenue-neutral' road-user pricing scheme on motorways and trunk roads.

• Target a 40% cut in greenhouse gases emissions by 2020, rising to 100% by 2050.

• Increase fuel duty in line with economic growth.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 6 May 10 at 10:42
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Clk Sec
>>I didn't know Croft Original was standing.

I do love the humour on this site!
...I didn't know Croft Original was standing...

I'll not be voting for Croft Original, although the capital 'C' could be regarded as a clue.

Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Armel Coussine
>> he capital 'C' could be regarded as a clue.

Oh dear. I knew the C word was going to crop up in this thread sooner or later.
>> Labour would install 100,000 electric vehicle charging points by 2015.

Why do we need these? I understood that the next generation of electric cars (next generation Prius and the Tesla cars, for example) would charge directly from the mains.

I suppose that they are for long journeys so that you can top up between times when you have mains access, but that will only work if they can charge you very quickly (so that it is the same as popping into a service station), so I guess that is what they have in mind.

I suppose that you would install something at hotels too, so travellers can charge overnight, but perhaps the mains charging is appropriate then.

As the batteries give longer and longer range, perhaps the need for any "on the road" quick charging points will fade.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - FotheringtonTomas
>> I must say I am finding it very difficult to get fired up about any
>> of the parties.

The main ones are indeed very similar.

>> Anybody else undecided? Anybody just not going to bother?

I have voted, after deciding who to vote for a few months ago.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Ted

I voted earlier this morning. SWMBO's just gone after asking me who she should vote for ...not !
It's Labour here, Sir Gerald ' Cereal bowl ' Kaufmann....there won't be a change, I'm sure.

We have a mix of locals, can't say I'm impressed with the Lib. Seems hot on self-publicity and little else. We get a newsletter...two sides of A4 through the door. He managed to get his picture on it 14 times...always pointing at something which offended him and blaming the council. A blocked grid, a light out, a hedge overgrown, etc.

Ted
...A blocked grid, a light out, a hedge overgrown, etc...

A prospective local councillor interested in local issues?

He will never fit in.

If I had a £ for every wishy washy electioneering leaflet that has been dumped in my recycling,
I'd be able to buy a cask of Adnams Broadside.

HeHe, Perro.....Wyre Piddle bitter in Morrisons at a quid a pint this morning....not any more though !

Ted
>>Wyre Piddle<<

That's a new one on me Teddy, I'll have to ask my brother about that fine Worcs Ale as he is an artist ;-)

I assume it's a Lancashire brew, Growler. River Wyre at Fleetwood.

I'll have a look at the label and report back later........maybe even a tastette wiv me tea !

Ted
...I assume it's a Lancashire brew, Growler. River Wyre at Fleetwood...

Ted,

Wyre Piddle is a village in Worcestershire, not far from the town of Evesham.

Just had a look at the label Iffy. Mea culpa.
Brewed in Birmingham.
Not Northern so unsure of whether to drink it or not.

Oh, go on then, you talked me in to it, I'll just have to force it down !

Upton Snodsbury,
Peopleton and Crowle.
Wyre Piddle, North Piddle
and Piddle in the Hole.

Ted
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Zero
>> If I had a £ for every wishy washy electioneering leaflet that has been dumped
>> in my recycling
>> I'd be able to buy a cask of Adnams Broadside.

And whats a cornish pixie doing drinking suffolks finest?
Hehe! ... I be reckoning Poly ticks + Economics is enough to drive anyone to drink :)
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - helicopter
SWMBO and I will vote tonight despite the fact that there is no doubt whatsoever that they would elect any old monkey sporting a blue rosette round our way....

Our MP is Francis Maude , The former party chairman and rich banker who claimed a second home allowance in Westminster despite being able to get there and back on the train or car in around an hour.... he'll be reelected without doubt.

Only literature I have had through the door was from the Lib Dems and its passage from the door to paper bin was smooth and swift... he promised to look after the interests of West Worthing constituents - trouble is West Worthing is not in our constituency....

I am not a lover of the EC and I do have a sneaking regard for UKIP whose slogan 'Sod the lot ' ( or something like that ) struck a very resonant chord . I believe that all the financial chickens of the EC are coming home to roost ....very soon. They have already landed in Greece..

Nigel Farages denunciation of the EC's Mr Rumpy Pumpy was the best laugh I have had in years.......
(((he promised to look after the interests of West Worthing constituents - trouble is West Worthing is not in our constituency....)))

- - - - - -> :-D
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - car4play
>> Our MP is Francis Maude

Same here. I think it's one of the safest Conservative seats in the country. It would take a massive swing to the LibDems to oust him.
Aha - Same MP

I had my suspicions.

So we are neighbours car4play....... in Sussex by the Sea.

Very safe Consevative area - they did have a Labour voter round here once but I think they hanged him.........

>> >> Our MP is Francis Maude
>>
>> Same here. I think it's one of the safest Conservative seats in the country. It
>> would take a massive swing to the LibDems to oust him.

Our ward, Weybridge and Runnymead has returned a Tory MP every time since the war and last time round took 51% of the vote, so its a safe tory seat.

To be fair, the MP, Philip Hammond does his stuff. His Expenses were not that far out of line, and I wrote to him recently. I recieved two replies from him, and a letter from the work and pensions minister so it seems he does his job.
>> Nigel Farages denunciation of the EC's Mr Rumpy Pumpy was the best laugh I have
>> had in years.......
>>
I prefered Ian Hislop's putdown of Mr Farage.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMFATCCKNO0&feature=related
Well, I looked down at the ballot paper and decided to put my cross against the Lib Dems. As I said I'm not impressed by any of them, so I consider it a protest vote against the two big boys, rather than a particular endorsement of Clegg and Co.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Falkirk Bairn
Voted again today - voted for a candidate / party I do not agree with or support ..................

My enemy's enemy is my friend................

30+ years but the party I do not support will still be returned again.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - L'escargot
I voted for the candidate who had the most impressive title.
...I voted for the candidate who had the most impressive title...

Mr? Mrs? The Honourable? Sir? Lord? or even, heaven forfend, Lady?

www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/extra/video/p007n09b
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 6 May 10 at 13:03
>> ...I voted for the candidate who had the most impressive title...
>>
>> Mr? Mrs? The Honourable? Sir? Lord?

Sir. All the others were plain Mr, Mrs, Miss, or Ms.

>> or even heaven forfend Lady?

This isn't meant to be a criticism, just curiosity, but it's only recently that I've known anyone say "forfend". I always thought the word to use was "forbid". When did "forfend" come into common usage?
..it's only recently that I've known anyone say "forfend". I always thought the word to use was "forbid". When did "forfend" come into common usage?...

'Heaven forbid' is a much more common phrase.

I don't think forfend is in common usuage.

A swift bit of lexicographical research suggests forfend is regarded as an obsolete word, and its nearest equivalent would be forbid or prevent.

Unless you're an American, in which case forfend - alternative spelling forefend - means protect or secure.

>> ......... forfend is regarded as an obsolete word ...

In that case you've been hoisted by your own petard!
;-)
...In that case you've been hoisted by your own petard!...

You've lost me there.

I like to pepper my informal English with the occasional colourful or unusual word or saying.

I'm not trying to make any high-minded point.

Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Runfer D'Hills
I used to hear "forfend" being used as an alternative to "forbid" while growing up in Scotland. More especially among the then older generation. I think Iffy lives in the north east of England where many linguistic nuances are shared with the lowland Scots. Didn't strike me as particularly unusual, in fact I may sometimes have said it myself.

I remember you querying "Let alone" versus "Leave alone" once L'Escargot. Much the same meaning depending on where you first learned the English language. I love to learn new phrases from the different regions.
>> I remember you querying "Let alone" versus "Leave alone" once L'Escargot.

I'm a student of semantics. I did point out on this occasion that it wasn't meant to be a criticism.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 6 May 10 at 14:01
Nor indeed was I criticising you. Just trying to be helpful in attempting to give a possible answer to your question. Don't know why I bother sometimes.
...I think Iffy lives in the north east of England where many linguistic nuances are shared with the lowland Scots...

Humph,

Think you might be onto something there.

"Bairn" for 'child' is the most obvious example.

Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Alanovich
I think "Heaven forend" came in to more common use when it was once used by Billy Connolly in a stand-up routine which became rather popular, by means of dissemination on TV broadcast and video cassette, sometime in the late 1980s would be my best guess. He still often deploys it. Perhaps he used it in earlier material also. Either way, I think it's down to him.

I think people have copied this useage since then in order to give an ironic or comedic feel to what they are saying. I have used it myself and I probably never would have unless I had heard it used by the genius, legendary Mr Connolly. I had never heard the word "forfend" before this.

This may tie in with Hibernian/Pictish useage theories propounded in this thread, I grew up in Berkshire and all my Scottish forebears were pushing up daisies long before they had a chance to influence my mode of speach.
I went on the way to work at 8am. Done and dusted.

Lib Dem for me, and I live in what looks like a three way marginal going on the last result, although there have been boundary changes which I fear will favour the Tory incumbent.

Remains to be seen though. Late night staring at the telly tonight.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Stuu
Speaking of Farage, wishing him a speedy recovery from his plane crash, in Northants nonetheless.
Certainly going the extra mile to get noticed!
Luckily he landed on his head so no serious injury........

Apparently his plane engine got tangled in his own UKIP banner.

Talk about disapearing up your own........
>>Late night staring at the telly tonight.<<

Interesting comrade Alanović ... I was going to ask others about that one,
Lady Dog reckons she'll be a watching but I'll be under my Fogerty duvet :)
I'll arise (as usual) at 5-55am but I won't turn on the wireless til 8-00am, just to prolong the flummery
I always stay up for it, Tovarishch Sobaka. Car crash TV.

But I expect I'll pass out at around 2am this time.

What I don't understand is, if Sunderland can get it results out within an hour, why can't the rest? If one city has worked out a way to do it, why aren't the rest required to follow their example? Then we could all get to bed by midnight and Nick could be plumping up the duvet in Number 10 shortly after.
>>Tovarishch Sobaka<<

Nice one! I'll have to remember that handle.
Re: No.10 - I reckon Tovarishch Farage the ex stunt pilot had the right idea
"you can't get a fag paper between any of the 3 main con-tenders".
Nah, not buying that. That's just what he wants us to think. There's a huge difference in all three main party policies.
Yep! I've heard the words too, we'll just have to wait for the action now.
I'm sure Sunderland (& Billericay before) put some effort into being first and can probably teach others a thing or two. However a quick declaration has some prerequisites: -

A compact, densely populated area so the ballot boxes get to the count quickly

Safe seat so little chance of recount even for second/third or a lost deposit

Some co-operation from candidates and their scrutineers.

If the ash cloud comes back the ballot boxes on the Western Isles will have to be taken to Stornoway by road, causeway & ferry. Its 120 miles from Vatersay to Stornoway

We did have a Lady in the starting grid, for a minor party.
Unfortunately, I was not able to gauge the quality of her under garments so was unable to offer her my vote.
Cup of tea now, a biccie or two and switch on Countdown to assess Rachel Riley's mini-skirt.

Slip into dirty old man mode.

Ted
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Focusless
>> switch on Countdown to assess Rachel Riley's mini-skirt.

Is that the TV programme equivalent of a vehicular extended warranty?

Not that mini BTW, but thanks for the tip - last time I watched it was Carol Vorderman.

Bit disappointing today....shall have to write a terse letter !

Ted
Bit of a patronising sexist attitude there Ted - Cant abide those sort of comments .

Pat or Teabelly will be after you if you are not careful.......but they are probably too busy hoovering or washing up to bother their pretty little heads about who to vote for............

:0) -- Ducks for cover.....................

>> too busy hoovering or washing up to bother their pretty little heads about who to
>> vote for............

We gave them the VOTE?

mutters into his port.....
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Pat
I'm too busy in the garden to hoover and wash up:)

That's on the list for Saturday morning when I'm at work and Mr pda isn't!

I voted before the weekend, postal vote as we're usually away, and I didn't vote for the party who want to make fox hunting legal again either!

Pat
>> Cup of tea now a biccie or two and switch on Countdown to assess Rachel
>> Riley's mini-skirt.
>>
>> Slip into dirty old man mode.
>>

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG_5l44IJrM&feature=related
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - -
We're just about to walk up and vote, not for one of the the three stooges either, they've been leading us into the toilet for years.

Haven't taken any notice of the propaganda, within 12 months everyone will be wailing about U turns and broken promises..just like every other election before then, it seems you can fool most of the people all of the time.

Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Robbie34
I voted for Mr Farage's rep. It's a safe Labour seat with our chinless wonder having grown a beard to disguise his lack of.

Voted Lib Dem for the local council as only two candidates. The Labour candidate, a local businessman, was the Conservative parliamentary candidate at the last general election, the turncoat. And to think I voted for him. He was outside the polling station with his Rolls and we chatted amiably.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Thu 6 May 10 at 16:31
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - R.P.
I have to say he's lucky not to be brown bread after that aircraft stunt - hung by his own banner...
^^^^

Inclined to agree.

Saved by the fact that the PZL Wilga's built like a brick ***house?
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - henry k
>> I have to say he's lucky not to be brown bread after that aircraft stunt - hung by his own banner...
>>
Yet another flipping ?
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - FotheringtonTomas
Good man.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - tyro
Just back from polling station. They report business as brisk - 64% at this stage.

All things considered, I feel the past 13 years were not quite what I would have wanted, so didn't vote for the current lot.

Cameron and Clegg, despite their rhetoric of change, seem to be basically offering more of the same, so I didn't want to vote for them.

In the end, I reckoned it came down to a choice between voting for a raving loony or spoiling the ballot, and after some thought, decided that while the former course of action went against the grain, it was probably the more effective way of registering my dissatisfaction with the political establishment.
Just undertaken the short walk needed to exercise my franchise.

A steady dribble of my fellow citizens were doing the same.

I think many of you know where my 'X' went, but for those that don't, just call me iffy!

Nicolle and I walked the dog to the polling station.

someone wanted to vote for the dog.
Aha !

So you're "Mr X" Iffy?
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Thu 6 May 10 at 18:58
...So you're "Mr X" Iffy?...

Guy was a bit wishy-washy for my taste.

He got the bullet from the other place, I prefer to stay inside the tent 'pointing' out, rather then outside 'pointing' in - I think wee both know what I mean.

Have you decided who to vote for yet? - zookeeper
just voted...the venue was an improvement on the last one, it used to be the grubby YMCA place in the town but they moved the venue to the city museum with ample parking....which was nice
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - mikeyb
Will pop across and vote for the incumbent conservative in the next half hour.

Local rag posed the same questions to each candidate - all quite trivial, but very local. He was the only one who could name all the local pubs so gets my vote. UKIP candidate couldnt name any by virtue that she lives 50 miles away......
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - AshT
Did my bit earlier this afternoon - polling station was empty apart from me and the two clerks, and no one came in while I was there.

Voted for the current MP - he's local and was very helpful when I had a problem with the CSA a few years ago.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Bellboy
busiest ive ever seen a polling station in my living memory
anyone would think they were giving away free beer
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Manatee
Under the current system it's not much of a choice for most of us is it? We can predict who will win in many constituencies, and voting feels like a waste of time unless you happen to be a supporter of the certain winner - a Conservative here where I live.

So at least I'm spared the impossible decision between the loony LibDem €urophiles and wasting my vote on Labour who will come a distant third; I can donate my vote to the least unappealing of the minority candidates - which will not be the revolting BNP or the laughable UKIP.

A lot of people seem to be looking forward to a hung parliament. A requirement actually to debate legislation, rather than guillotine everything and ram it through with a majority, has a certain appeal. Sadly I doubt we would get it; instead we would get bribery accompanied by guillotined debates.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - mikeyb
Done it.

Apparently its been brisk business all day with a queue from 6 til 7.30 ish. I live oposite and can still see a steady flow
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Focusless
Also went a bit earlier this evening, and I'm ashamed to say at 45 it's the first time I've ever voted in any sort of election. And it wasn't easy - had to queue outside, in the cold, for 30 minutes!

The annoying thing was they had 2 reception desks and the desk you queued for depended on your road name. While we queued for half an hour, the other queue was empty. Odd.

As a musician I felt I had to vote for local man John Redwood :)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwBvjoLyZc
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - smokie
No queues for those of us up early. There is going to be a lot of fuss over people not getting to vote. While it seems wrong in a democratic society, if everyone turns up at closing time it's bound to happen isn't it? What appears to be missing is a clear procedure for the Returning Officer to follow. They oughtn't have any discretion on when the doors are shut, and what happens if there is a queue outside.
the polls open at 07:00 in the morning and close at 22:00. Thats 15 hours.

If you aint got in by 22:00, its your fault.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - Auntie Lockbrakes
I agree with you Zero, but then again some of the stories we are starting to hear are odd... Not enough ballot papers in some stations? The electoral roll out-of-date in the polling station, so people have been turned away? Basic cock-ups. And if there were slow queues, couldn't the polling stations have found extra staff?

Seems to me that our country cannot organise a pi... party, in a brewery any more.

Or maybe a Nu Labour scam, so they can cry foul if they need to after tonight?

I'm betting on another election before Xmas in any case!
if its hung, we will be here again in 12 months.
....if its hung, we will be here again in 12 months....

If it's hung, we will be here again in October.
 Have you decided who to vote for yet? - VxFan
>> and what happens if there is a queue outside.

No queue at the pillar box where I placed my vote a week or so ago.
did you post a vote for your granny, goldfish and cactus on the window sill as well?
Latest Forum Posts