Non-motoring > Bargains Thread - Volume 9   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 100

Bargains Thread - Volume 9 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 10 *****

Post links in here of any offers/bargains that you come across. Need not be motoring but motoring related is of course welcome.

Previous volumes are below
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Volume 6
Volume 7
Volume 8

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 3 Nov 12 at 17:39

Freeview HD 500GB recorder £110 - Focusless
TVonics DTR-HD500 500GB Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder £110 (free delivery):
www.ebuyer.com/382371-tvonics-dtr-hd500-500gb-freeview-hd-digital-tv-recorder-dtr-hd500

Freeview HD 500GB recorder £110 - Dog
"On June 12, 2012, TVonics Solutions Limited went into administration, Gary Bell of Bell Advisory Llp was appointed administrator to the company".
~Wiki.

"This is the second time TVonics has been in administration. It emerged intact in 2008. But having gone into administration almost two months ago, it's looking increasingly unlikely that it will rise from the ashes again".
~Amazon.

Ah, that would explain it. Still, might be worth a go - I think those TVonics got good reviews.

Freeview HD 500GB recorder £110 - Iffy
Looks like it doesn't have left and right (red and white) phono outputs, which will make it hard to connect to an external amp or mini hi-fi system.

Although it does have SPDIF optical digital output if your amp has an appropriate input.

...Although it does have SPDIF optical digital output...

Yes, although I've never got to grips with those.

Y'knows were you are with a pair of phono leads.

>>might be worth a go<<

What if it goes TU though, even Panasonic tellies require service/support occasionally , I hear :(

>> What if it goes TU though, even Panasonic tellies require service/support occasionally , I hear
>> :(

Indeed! Although as I understand it it would be up to ebuyer to either get it fixed or give you your money back? First year anyway.
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 13 Aug 12 at 11:25

Tesco direct do a TVonics 500GB HD recorder, but its a different model and a whole bunch of fivers more-than the ebuyer jobbie:

www.tesco.com/direct/tvonics-freeview-dtr-z500-hd-recorder-500gb/214-5885.prd?skuId=214-5885&pageLevel=sku&_requestid=3458657

They're both £200 on the TVonics site - only difference in spec I can spot (apart from the shape/dimensions) is that the ebuyer one does picture-in-picture.

That ebuyer price for a Freeview 500GB HD recorder can't be beaten but, being TVonics has gorn into administration it could pose a prob re: support etc - bit of a gamble really :)

www.reghardware.com/2012/06/27/administrator_looking_to_sell_off_tvonics_kit/

Freeview HD 500GB recorder £110 - madf
The Administrator is disposing of stock so there will be some bargains to come.

>> bit of a gamble really :)

Agreed. If I had the spare cash I would be very tempted, on the basis that if it's going to break (rather than just wear out) it will probably be in the first year (like my TV - did I mention that?), in which case you're covered. After that, it's just fingers crossed :)

Our £80 Digihome (Vestel) PVR still seems to be going strong after quite a few years - perhaps that's lulling me into a false sense of security.
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 13 Aug 12 at 12:52

...Our £80 Digihome (Vestel) PVR still seems to be going strong after quite a few years...

So is mine after nearly six years in the caravan.

A 500GB HD recorder would be an obvious upgrade, but it would need to have phono out to plug into the mini hi-fi.

I don't think we've gone fully digital here yet, so I'll see how the Digihome copes with that.

>> I don't think we've gone fully digital here yet, so I'll see how the Digihome
>> copes with that.

We have (when the TV's here), and to be honest I don't think we miss much, not for the amount we record anyway. That's even with using SCART, as derided by a recently departed member of this forum.

Although I think yours is bigger than mine (37"), so it might make more of a difference to you.
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 13 Aug 12 at 13:01

...Although I think yours is bigger than mine (37"), so it might make more of a difference...

The Digihome is plugged into a six-year-old 19" Samsung LCD, which is another reason not to upgrade.

A bigger telly would be the logical first step.

>> A bigger telly would be the logical first step.

Ah - memory deceiving me again. Yes, definitely go for the telly first; not much point going for HD on a 19"-er, unless you need the 500GB storage space. Then when you get the TV you might find you're not that bothered about upgrading the PVR, like us.

Might have to get a bigger telly if the rather delectable Darcey Bussell is going to be appearing on it more often.

"Out of retirement with a bang" it says here of her appearance in the closing ceremony last night:

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2186272/Darcey-Bussell-Why-I-normal-mother.html

Not a lot of meat on dem bones though is there, she could do with a few dinners if you ask me!

Freeview HD 500GB recorder £110 - bathtub tom
>>Not a lot of meat on dem bones though is there, she could do with a few dinners if you ask me!

knick-knack paddywhack.................

" The witch feeds Hansel regularly to fatten him up, but Hansel cleverly offers a bone he found in the cage (presumably a bone from the witch's previous captive) and the witch feels it, thinking it to be his finger. Due to her blindness, she is fooled into thinking Hansel is still too thin to eat. After weeks of this, the witch grows impatient and decides to eat Hansel, "be he fat or lean."

:}

>> A 500GB HD recorder would be an obvious upgrade, but it would need to have
>> phono out to plug into the mini hi-fi.

I agree that given the option I'd like to see phono outputs as well. However, although the Digihome does have them, and I'm using the phono inputs on the amp, the latter is connected to the TV* rather than the PVR. So it wouldn't matter if the PVR didn't have phono out.

* using the £1.59 headphone/phono lead mentioned previously
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 14 Aug 12 at 13:21

Maine shirts at Debenhams. - Roger.
Debenhams end of season sale is on at present and there are some bargains to be had.
Standard delivery is free, if you spend over £30.
I have just ordered, on-line, three shirts from their Maine, New England, big & tall range. All are short sleeved [ ;-) ] range, all are decently cut and the grand total for all three, home & clear, is £35.00.
The first one has just arrived and it's fine (as I expected) having bought a couple at the end of June
That makes me happy!
Last edited by: Roger on Sat 18 Aug 12 at 12:17

Foot pump - stirrup type for push bikes - henry k
Just picked one up from the Chessington branch of Lidl
For just £5. Worth a gamble at that price

I cannot find it on their web site or the lots of bike clothes there too.

Foot pump - stirrup type for push bikes - bathtub tom
I got one of them a few years ago. Useless pile of pfd. It seems the washer's too small fore the bore.

Foot pump - stirrup type for push bikes - L'escargot
>> ............. pfd ............

Personal flotation device?
;-)

Foot pump - stirrup type for push bikes - bathtub tom
>> ............. pfd ............

Pink Fluffy Dice.

Used to be used by the mods to replace swear words and other offensive stuff IIRC.

How's your long term memory, I SAID HOW'S YOUR LONG TERM MEMORY?

;>)

Cheap Magnatec at Halfords. - madf
tinyurl.com/cgqvke2

Expires today.

Cheap Magnatec at Halfords. - Dog
Blimey! - that is cheap.

Cheap Magnatec at Halfords. - sherlock47
>> Blimey! - that is cheap.
>>

And free delivery!

>>And free delivery!<<

They must stick Carlube in a Castrol container Shirley!

:}

Ah! - I see it now Shirley, Castrol recommend Magnatec 10W-40 A3/B4 for my old cronk so I wouldn't use 5W30.

:(

S'me again Shirley, Halfords are doing the 10W-40 A3/B4 for seventeen and an arf knicker as well.

:)

Cheap Magnatec at Halfords. - John H
Cheaper at Eurocarparts, including delivery:

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/castrol-gtx-magnatec-4-ltr-from-only-14-99-del-collect-euro-car-parts-1293761

discount code still works.

madf (the one says "charge what they think the mug punter customer will pay") wants you to give more money to Halfords.

Last edited by: John H on Mon 3 Sep 12 at 13:45

F.A.B - I might even try it on my salad at that price.

:+))

Bargain. - Roger.
I got in touch with my inner self today.
That's the last time I buy Tesco Value toilet roll. ;-)
 Kindles - Focusless
The Kindle Fire is on the way, and the basic one is improved a bit and down to £69.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19509626
www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Ink-Display-Wi-Fi-Black/dp/B007HCCOD0

Blackberry Playbook, iPad alternative £109/119/129 - Falkirk Bairn
Currys/PCWorld

16Gb £109
32Gb £119
64Gb £129

OS 2.0 so latest software release,

Not regarded as good as iPad but still a quality make/model/function & at about 25% of the Apple price!

Invested £129 after considering buying a Fire/Google etc at around £159+ for 8Gb. What swung it was the fact that the Blackberry has been around a wee while and should have any "gremlins"fixed ....well here's hoping.

Blackberry Playbook, iPad alternative £109/119/129 - rtj70
When the Playbook first came out you couldn't make use of all features without a paired Blackberry phone. For example you needed the phone for email. Maybe the latest software fixed this. As user experience I think you'll find you've made a mistake.

There's nowhere near as many apps as for an iPad or Android (and even Kindle which uses Amazon's store and does not use the Google Play store for apps). There's a reason there's a fire sale of these - they are already made and not selling so better to recoup some money.

Blackberry Playbook, iPad alternative £109/119/129 - Zero
>> When the Playbook first came out you couldn't make use of all features without a
>> paired Blackberry phone. For example you needed the phone for email. Maybe the latest software
>> fixed this. As user experience I think you'll find you've made a mistake.
>>
>> There's nowhere near as many apps as for an iPad or Android (and even Kindle
>> which uses Amazon's store and does not use the Google Play store for apps). There's
>> a reason there's a fire sale of these - they are already made and not
>> selling so better to recoup some money.

Playbook OS V2 has provided a very good email and calendaring client, also V2 will now run 80% of all android apps. Playbook OSV2 has made the machine about 80% as good as an Ipad or Android tablet, at 40% of the cost.

Had it come out with V2 18 months ago it would have been taking market share. It was a very bad mistake to ship it so late and with such a crappy first software release.

At its current price its a bit of a steal actually.

Blackberry Playbook, iPad alternative £109/119/129 - rtj70
So BBC iPlayer and Kindle work on the playbook? Just two examples.

Blackberry Playbook, iPad alternative £109/119/129 - Zero
Yes?

Euro Car Parts - discount codes - Alanovich
Just ordered the engine service parts/oil for our 2002 Golf TDi from Eurocarparts. 30% off all oils, and 25% off other parts. There are two codes for these offers, so I placed two online orders for collection and benefited from both discounts. 5l fully synth oil (Triple QX Brand), oil filter (Bosch), air filter, pollen filter and a rear wiper blade (Bosch) for £38.15 total. I reckon that's a bargain.

I didn't need the wiper blade, but needed to up the non-oil parts to £20 quid (I was 2 pounds shy) in order to get the 25% discount. Effectively giving me a free wiper, and getting the rest of it cheaper too.

Overalls and sucky pumpy out this weekend. Local indy will be doing the cambelt, tensioners and water pump, fuel filter and brake fluid along with the MoT in the January. Might get him to change the auto gearbox oil too if I'm flush.
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 11 Sep 12 at 15:24

Euro Car Parts - discount codes - DP
Cracking deal! Their voucher codes offers can be good. I got a Sachs (OEM) clutch and DMF kit, plus a new concentric slave cylinder for just over £300 using one of their codes last year. The VW dealer wanted £800 for the same thing in a VW Genuine Parts box.

What were the codes? Couldn't see them mentioned in your post. :-)

Euro Car Parts - discount codes - Alanovich
Oh, they're on the ECP website. OILSPILL30 and PARTS25.

LED wind up torch. - henry k
I was going to say Lidl have wind up torches at £3.99 but a search found:-
tinyurl.com/9fvw7lz even cheaper.

They both look the same. My one is switchable between 3 LEDs and a single LED.
( more weight in the car )

Amazon £3.99 album download for 99p offer - Focusless
In case you missed it in the 'Music downloads sites' thread, Amazon are offering a £3.99 album download for 99p when you sign up for their Cloud Player. Looks like quite a good selection to choose from - currently 621:
tinyurl.com/ccbxgpp (sorted by popularity)

Amazon £3.99 album download for 99p offer - rtj70
You get one album for 99p. Not a huge discount. It's a £3 credit. They're not that stupid. Despite offering the last Kindle Fire below cost.. or near it.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 19 Sep 12 at 23:30

Amazon £3.99 album download for 99p offer - Focusless
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

Costco - Ariel Liquitabs - £7.78 in VAT for 45! - Falkirk Bairn
Auto washing machine liquid tabs

From Monday 24th Sept £3.00 off their normal price.

Costco - Ariel Liquitabs - £7.78 in VAT for 45! - Mapmaker
OR buy yourself their powder. £17 for 13 kgs which will give you a lot more than 90 washes (or 45 washes if you use two tabs).

tinyurl.com/9kyc5k2

Why on earth do people pay to have their soap powder in pre-prepared portions?
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 21 Sep 12 at 09:44

Costco - Ariel Liquitabs - £7.78 in VAT for 45! - Falkirk Bairn
Mess and powder stains from powder

Costco - Ariel Liquitabs - £7.78 in VAT for 45! - Bromptonaut
Aldi Bio liquid does for us, under £3 for 20+ washes.
 Costco - Ariel Liquitabs - £7.78 in VAT for 45! - Roger.
28 washes, it says. Works well, too, as do their whitener & stain remover products.
Forget Pink!

Costco - Ariel Liquitabs - £7.78 in VAT for 45! - CGNorwich
"Why on earth do people pay to have their soap powder in pre-prepared portions?"

I am staggered and impressed by your knowledge of household washing arrangements. I expect you also know how to clean the floor and bath too, areas of expertise that I have sadly failed to acquire over the years and now feel, alas, it is too late to learn.

Lomo Backpack - R.P.
www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Dry-Boxes-dry-bags-uk.html#a717

Seen the product - yet to click to buy, but a substantial and very waterproof bag. A right bargain.

TRIPLE QX Concentrated Screenwash. 20l for £8 del. - smokie
4 x 5l TRIPLE QX Concentrated Screenwash for eight quid delviered, can't be bad for those that don't already have a garage full of the Aldi/Lidl stuff from last year.

Limited time BOGOF, be quick.

www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/concentrate-screenwash/?542771151

Buy 2, enter promotion code SWOFFER1 at checkout

Smart TV inc wireless dongle for £168 - Focusless
Happened to be browsing in a large Tesco last night and saw this:

tinyurl.com/96dwf55 (link updated)

I appreciate it's only 1366x768 (22") and I'm guessing it's not the last word in picture quality. But even so, wireless iPlayer and Youtube access (and Facebook for the kids) for £168 seems pretty good value, and you can play DVDs too. It's even got a QWERTY keyboard on the back of the remote.

Good for the bedroom/kitchen perhaps.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 20 Oct 12 at 18:00

Smart TV inc wireless dongle for £168 - R.P.
Link fails Focus !

Thanks RP - sorry, try this one:
www.tesco.com/direct/technika-22-212i-22-inch-widescreen-hd-ready-smart-lcd-tv-dvd-combi-with-freeview/213-9399.prd

Strange, tinyurl version doesn't seem to work.
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 20 Oct 12 at 13:13

Smart TV inc wireless dongle for £168 - R.P.
I kept quiet that time thinking it was my super duper computer ! :-0

Smart TV inc wireless dongle for £168 - bathtub tom
Focus' tinyurl link works fine for me.

Smart TV inc wireless dongle for £168 - Clk Sec
And for me.

Still not working for me - I get:

There is no relationship between this site and the advertiser.

TradeDoubler
>> There is no relationship between this site and the advertiser.
>>
>> TradeDoubler

That's using Chrome, but same in IE and FF; Windows 7. Weird.

Smart TV inc wireless dongle for £168 - Clk Sec
>>That's using Chrome, but same in IE and FF; Windows 7. Weird.

Apologies, Focus. I clicked on your second link.
:-(

Smart TV inc wireless dongle for £168 - No FM2R
>> Still not working for me - I get:
>>
>>
>> TradeDoubler

Me too.

Smart TV inc wireless dongle for £168 - bathtub tom
So why does it work for me (firefox 16.0,1)?

Here's Focus' url: tinyurl.com/96dwf55

And here's one I've just made: tinyurl.com/8rlmod2

I get the same (bad) result with yours bathtub.

Smart TV inc wireless dongle for £168 - VxFan
>> Still not working for me - I get:
>>

Same here. Have updated the link now though.

EDIT - that's odd. It's still happening despite changing the link
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 20 Oct 12 at 18:01

Smart TV inc wireless dongle for £168 - Stuartli
>>I appreciate it's only 1366x768 (22") and I'm guessing it's not the last word in picture quality>>

Doubt if anyone would notice the difference between HD Ready and Full HD on a 22in screen. My first TV was that resolution (a 26in LCD acquired before Freeview HD era) and it's perfectly adequate as a spare set now in the back room...:-)

Smart TV inc wireless dongle for £168 - rtj70
Viewing angles aren't great on that. I had considered it for the conservatory. But next to the Toshiba next to it (on offer for £148) there was a big different in picture quality. Toshiba doesn't come with a USB dongle (or the option of one) to link to iPlayer or YouTube. But probably the better TV.

Aldi Ballycastle Irish Cream - Bromptonaut
Aldi are now starting to introduce their Christmas/Winter drinks range including the Special Edition Ballycastle Cream liqueur. At around £6/bottle it's less than half cost of Baileys and. to my palate, indistinguishable.

Aldi Ballycastle Irish Cream - BobbyG
Brompton, BallyCastle is a permanent fixture in my house. But only about £4 a bottle - wonder what makes it extra special???

Aldi Ballycastle Irish Cream - Bromptonaut
Bobby,

There are two versions. One, with an ivory coloured label, is available year round. It's an OK drink but is 2-3 percentage points lower in abv than Baileys.

The 'Special Reserve' or however it's branded, with a brown/black label is same abv as 'the leading brand'.

Last year it disappeared like Santa Claus after 25/12.

Usually if an item's sold out at the Northampton Jimmy's End store its still there in Daventry or Towcester for a day or two (or v.v). Not so with this stuff - searched high and low for a supply for new year.

Aldi Ballycastle Irish Cream - CGNorwich
'Special Edition Ballycastle Cream liqueur".

I thought only only Essex girls and my Auntie Edna drank that sort of stuff.

Cheap Plonk - mikeyb
Heads up for anyone in the market for some Vino.

Waitrose currently offering 25% of wine when you buy 6 bottles - good chance to stock up for xmas

www.waitrosedirect.com/wine?source=sme_1002

Cheap Plonk - rtj70
Tesco is doing the same.

If you buy Finest wine at Tesco and have clubcard vouchers, then double up the vouchers to buy more. So £5 buys £10 of wine. And you'll have had 25% off too. Extra savings.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 2 Nov 12 at 17:58

Cheap Plonk - mikeyb
>> Tesco is doing the same.
>>
>> If you buy Finest wine at Tesco and have clubcard vouchers, then double up the
>> vouchers to buy more. So £5 buys £10 of wine. And you'll have had 25%
>> off too. Extra savings.
>>

To be fair though, Tesco wine is not going to be the same now is it ;-)

Cheap Plonk - rtj70
>> To be fair though, Tesco wine is not going to be the same now is it ;-)

Tesco doesn't just sell their own wine. So the 25% offer is off anything. So 6 Bottle's of Bollinger would get 25% off too.

Cheap Plonk - Fursty Ferret
Sprinted out to Tesco last night when their 3 for £12 and 25% off 6 promotions collided.

Basically, the more expensive the wine, the less you paid. Best discount on Ogio which I can't stand, so picked up 6 bottles of Hardy's for £12. The white's chilling in the fridge as I write... :-)

Cheap Plonk - Clk Sec
>>Waitrose currently offering 25% of wine when you buy 6 bottles - good chance to stock up for xmas<<

I can heartily recommend their Blackburn & James California Shiraz 2011 which is usually £9.99. I bought just one bottle a few weeks ago when it was last on offer and it really was enjoyable.

I've just treated myself to a case of 6 as part of their latest offer at £45 including free delivery.

If you like a Shiraz, you'll like this one.

Cheap Plonk - bathtub tom
>> Sprinted out to Tesco last night when their 3 for £12 and 25% off 6
>> promotions collided.
>>
>> Basically, the more expensive the wine, the less you paid. Best discount on Ogio which
>> I can't stand, so picked up 6 bottles of Hardy's for £12. The white's chilling
>> in the fridge as I write... :-)

Am I not understanding this, 3 for £12, 6 for £24. 25% of £24=£6. £24 less £6=£18?

Cheap Plonk - Manatee
They occasionally cock these things up. A few years ago some friends, who are very 'careful' spotted an extra points offer on bananas that were also on a price reduction.

They worked out that the points would be worth more than the money paid for the bananas so they would be ahead even if the bananas went on the compost heap.

I think they bought about two trolley loads. We were eating the bananas for weeks.

Cheap Plonk - Fursty Ferret
The computer calculates in in a strange way:

6 bottles @ £10 = £60
Take 25% of this and put it somewhere safe.

“But wait!", cries the computer, “This is in the 3 for £12 deal. I should only charge you £24."

Running total on the receipt now £24.

We get to the till and the final adding up is done. Remember the 25% saving from £60 we worked out earlier? That's been sitting in the refund bit of the receipt all this time. Computer doesn't forget, though!

£24 - £15 (25% of £60) = £9.

I paid £12 because the Hardy's was slightly cheaper, so a smaller 25% discount.

Cheap Plonk - Clk Sec
You could save even more money by making your own wine and have the satisfaction of knowing exactly what goes into it, as we do...most of the time.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 2 Nov 12 at 20:23

Cheap Plonk - sooty123
Can be a bit of a faff I would have thought, quite a wait I would have thought. You ferment your own grapes?

Cheap Plonk - Clk Sec
Currently we're into Rice and Raisin. Not that much faff really, and it only takes about two and a half months.

Rather tasty, too.

Cheap Plonk - devonite
You need to try Beetroot an Black-pudding! - Mmmmm!

Cheap Plonk - Clk Sec
Beetroot fine - not sure about the other ingredient.

Cheap Plonk - sooty123
Can't say I've ever tried rice or raisin wine, what does it taste like in comparison to decent white wine? 2 1/2 months aint much good if I want a drink of wine tonight. ;)

Cheap Plonk - Jacks
I went into Tesco this afternoon to buy a wine box- not knowing the 25%/6 bottle discount was on but soon spotted it and bought Hardy's Merlot which was 3 for £12, I went through the self service till and was charged £18 for the 6 bottles.

I think they have closed the loophole since FF bought - it was front page news in this mornings Daily Telegraph saying that there was a glitch in Tesco's wine pricing.

However I still had the 25% off the £12 deal and at £3 per bottle it's a good - and presumably a continuing - deal.

J

Cheap Plonk - Clk Sec
>> 2 1/2 months aint much good if I want a drink of wine tonight. ;)

Rome wasn't built in a day...

Cheap Plonk - sooty123
Aye, but what's it like?

Cheap Plonk - Manatee
We made rice and raisin about 40 years ago. It was more like fino sherry than wine.

Cheap Plonk - Clk Sec
>> Aye, but what's it like?
>>

Elegant, rounded, peppery, with a cheeky strawberry aroma and a hint of summer meadows.
;)

Cheap Plonk - CGNorwich
Many years ago I used to make wine and beer. It's quite easy to make a palatable beer. wine is another matter. You can make wine out of virtually any vegetable or fruit but in all honesty fruit wines are far better than any vegetable based brew. The best fruit by a long chalk is the grape. With lot of effort and time you can come up with something almost as good as a £3.50 bottle form Lidl

Cheap Plonk - Dave_
I'm veering towards vino blanco these days and away from lager. Asda Bunderra Chardonnay and Tesco Calloway Crossing are both agreeable enough for around a fiver. Not much else is, unless anyone knows different?

Cheap Plonk - rtj70
As a grape variety, we find Pinot Grigio a white wine we both like. There are some I like and my wife does not. Plenty been on offer over recent months in Tesco at £4.49 or less. And some still I think. We've got some from Aldi before for probably closer to £3 per bottle.

Note my wife is happy with some house wines when on holiday. White wines fair enough. But I like some full bodied reds which she doesn't like. So I drink what she likes.

Cheap Plonk - Clk Sec
>> fruit wines are far better than any vegetable<<

Each to their own, I suppose. We used to made some very drinkable parsnip wine (although not quite in the league of our more recent rice and raisin), but found that a more labourious couple of batches of blackberry wine were rather bland by comparison.
Latest Forum Posts