Non-motoring > Flys Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 56

Flys - Fullchat
Anyone else been suffering from an increase in flys inside the house recently. Its a form of sport with the swat. Got 17 on the trot yesterday.
 Flys - helicopter
Not seen any down our way.......

Of course you know what attracts flies FC.

You didn't step in anything nasty yesterday and trail it into the house did you.....??
 Flys - Fullchat
Have dealt with plenty over the years but shoes are clean :)
 Flys - devonite
We never get flies in the Hovel! - they`re far more discerning up here!
Last edited by: devonite on Thu 16 Aug 12 at 11:05
 Flys - PeterS
We don't have a fly problem, but that's probably because we have an inordinate number of spiders around this year!
 Flys - bathtub tom
SWMBO had to visit the GP this week. We think she got done by a swarm of Blandford fly whilst out jogging.

tinyurl.com/dx68rjw
 Flies - Dog
I like to have the top alf of my stable (type) door open but got peed orf with all the flies coming in so I bought one of these ere fly screens and it stops 99% of the critters getting in.

www.amazon.co.uk/Spaghetti-String-Door-Curtain-Cream/dp/B00149MGR6/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1345115396&sr=8-41
 Flies - devonite
Ah! the olde Spaghetti- curtain eh! - they`ll never getta pasta that!
 Flies - No FM2R
Ants and flies! pah!!

Does anyone know how long crickets live?

There is one here that has been driving me nuts for about a week. Its in the wall, I think, but it seems to be moving around. I can't track the blighter down because everytime I try to move to get closer, it goes silent.

I need it to die before I take a leaf out of Jasper Carrott's book and buy a shotgun and a bar stool.
 Flies - devonite
You need to "borrow" a Snakey off someone, super-glue the end of a ball of string to it`s tail, make a small hole near the skirting or insert it through the air-brick and let it go - paying out the string as it does so, when it`s got the cricket, you can pull it back out with the string. Works for rats in the wall too! - but you have to make a bigger hole to get it back out again.
 Flies - Pat
That was for a mole, and it didn't work!

You're being extremely restrained about this thread title............:)

Pat
 Flies - No FM2R
I'm trying to ignore it.
 Flies - VxFan
>> You're being extremely restrained about this thread title............:)

I've been tempted to change it, but so far I've resisted the urge.
 Flies - R.P.
You're being extremely restrained about this thread title............:)

Keeping it buttoned and saying zip..
 Flies - Clk Sec
>> Keeping it buttoned and saying zip..

Surely you haven't been told to belt up.
 Flies - VxFan
>> Surely you haven't been told to belt up.

Buzz off.
 Flies - Runfer D'Hills
Whadda ya call a fly with no wings?

A walk.
 Flies - swiss tony
What's the last thing that enters a flies head, as it hits a windscreen?

It's ar....... bottom.
 Flies - bathtub tom
What do you call a dog with wings?

old, distasteful joke
 Flies - Dog
= = = > distasteful joke < = = =

+1
 Flies - bathtub tom
Crickets, pah!

There's midwife toads around here. They start up around June and are still going now. They get really excited after a shower of nocturnal rain.

tinyurl.com/cx7a9kf
 Flies - Pat
Please, please can I have some toad spawn next spring?

I love toads and newts (and frogs) but we only seem to get frogs and grass snakes in our pond.

Pat
 Flies - devonite
if Toads aren`t native to your area, it`d be cruel to import them, and in time they may oust your Frogs n Newts! - as happens with this sort of thing! ;-)
 Flies - bathtub tom
Pat. In forty years living here I've never seen one. They only 'sound' in the evening and as soon as you get near to a source of sound they go schtum.

As a foreign invader it's also illegal to deliberately spread them.
 Flies - corax
I've been cheered by the absence of house flies this year, maybe the weather conditions have interrupted their hatching cycles. A few bluebottles around but I don't mind them, they're quite intelligent - you open a window and they find their way out.

House flies though - can't stand them. Open a window and they'll fly in the opposite direction, sit down and carry on eating your dinner and they'll reappear and land on your food, so then you can't swat them because the dinner would be ruined. Damn things.
 Flies - Pat
I'd settle for a common toad!

I hate the fruit flies that descend on my glass of wine when I'm sitting on the patio in the evening.

Pat
 Flies - No FM2R

Unwanted flies and want more salt on your chips???

www.squidoo.com/bug-a-salt

You know it makes sense.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 16 Aug 12 at 16:48
 Flies - devonite
would work on pesky Slugs as well! - dual-purpose!
 Flies - corax
>> www.squidoo.com/bug-a-salt
>>
>> You know it makes sense.

Wow, I have to get me one of those :)
 Flies - rtj70
Cool - looks like a better solution than aerosols and more chance of getting the damn flies than a swat or similar.
 Flies - Iffy
...Wow, I have to get me one of those :)...

I have one in the caravan, most static owners do.

Does the job reasonably well, although it's a little irritating when you need to go through the door.

Flies - No FM2R
Iffy, one of us is confused.
 Flies - rtj70
So you have one of these fly gun things iffy? Where from and how much.

Or are you referring to the spaghetti curtain thing?

EDIT: I see I'm not the only one confused. The website said you can't get them yet as it's in development.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 16 Aug 12 at 18:49
 Flies - Iffy
...Or are you referring to the spaghetti curtain thing?...

So I am.

Does that gun thing exist or is it a joke?

Flies - Dog
What's the difference betwixt a frog and a toad then? I've always seen these ere green frog looking things wherever we've lived in Cornwall, I don't dare touch em in case its a familiar (you never know around these parts!)

In fact I disturbed one only this week when I was moving some rubbish, I could have easily harmed the critter as it was dark and I only saw it by pure chance.
 Flies - No FM2R
>>What's the difference betwixt a frog and a toad then

Toads don't turn into Princes when kissed. As any fule kno.
 Flies - Dog
>>Toads don't turn into Princes when kissed. As any fule kno.<<

I'll find out the next time I see one (I'll get the missus to do the smooching though!)
 Flies - L'escargot
>> ......... when I'm sitting on the patio ..........

The higher you are from the ground the fewer flies there are, so try sitting on a bar stool instead of on the ground.
;-)
 Flies - Ted

>> I hate the fruit flies that descend on my glass of wine when I'm sitting
>> on the patio in the evening.

Time flies like an arrow.........
Fruit flies like a banana !

Ted
 Flies - L'escargot
>> ............ it stops 99% of the critters getting in.

I've got better things to do than count how many flies manage to get into the house and how many don't!
:-D
 Flys - DeeW
Infuriatingly - yes - in the last week. Seem to like buzzing and landing as soon as you are about to sleep... still, prefer them to mosquitoes any day (or night).
 Flys - madf
I use a garden spay with water to stop flies in their tracks.. and kill them when downed. Wet wings can't fly. (a tip from beekeeping)
 Flys - Iffy
...Wet wings can't fly...

I've downed a few in the shower cubicle in the caravan using that technique.

Flys - corax
>> Wet wings can't fly. (a tip from beekeeping)

By the way madf, have you noticed more honey bees this year? Now that the weather has improved, there seems to be larger numbers of them around here, which can only be a good thing. I do of course have a large variety of bee attracting flowers in the garden, and at work.
 Flys - Dutchie
Farmers are busy working the land at the moment and the flys will appear in the garden again.

Happens every year tiny little flys who get everywhere.
 Flys - Fullchat
There has been one buzzing me for the last 40 minutes whilst sat at my computer and deep joy I've just managed to annihilate the little pfd
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 22 Aug 12 at 01:49
 Flys - rtj70
Salt shotgun would have been handy.
 Flys - Dave_
I can always tell how many are likely to come through the back door of an evening by how peppered the windscreen is after a day on the roads.

Finished off a fair few bugs inbetween showers coming up the M1 this evening, therefore back door is open but curtain is closed across it.
 Flys - CGNorwich
Number of flies depends on local farming type. Livestock = flies, arable = few flies. Cornwall bad, Norfolk good. :-)
 Flys - Harleyman
>> Number of flies depends on local farming type. Livestock = flies, arable = few flies.
>> Cornwall bad, Norfolk good. :-)
>>

I've been to Norfolk. Give me the flies any day.
 Flys - CGNorwich
What! you didn't like the paradise on earth that is Norfolk. I just don't understand how that could be - Didn't go to Yarmouth did you?
 Flys - Harleyman
>> What! you didn't like the paradise on earth that is Norfolk. I just don't understand
>> how that could be - Didn't go to Yarmouth did you?
>>

Hunstanton. And Hemsby. Various other locations around that coast, mostly with my parents as a kid cos we were too poor to go to Skegness. ;-)

I clearly remember my mother's comment to this day; "Sea Palling? It's bloomin' APpalling!"

There are some nice places there I'll grant you, and Norwich is a pleasant city. But overall it's too flat for my tastes.
 Flys - CGNorwich
"it's too flat for my tastes."

Beacon Hill near Cromer is a majestic 79 metres above sea level - positively Alpine and there's always Gas Hill in Norwich, home of the famous Gas Hill Gasp.

www.edp24.co.uk/news/picture_gallery_gas_hill_gasp_returns_for_lord_mayor_s_celebrations_in_norwich_1_1436471

Flys - L'escargot
>> But overall it's too flat for my tastes.
>>

Flat is good for some spirited motoring.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 18 Aug 12 at 13:15
 Flys - Dutchie
Round here it's flat which I like .To many hills is nice on a postcard exspecially in winter.>:)
 Flys - CGNorwich
Where is "round here" Dutchie?

We always get a lot of Dutch tourists in Norwich and area has strong historical connections with Holland. I normally go to hilly or mountainous places for my holidays though. Was in Slovenia a few weeks back. That is truly a beautiful country.
 Flys - Roger.
Is it full of slovens? :-)
Last edited by: Roger on Sat 18 Aug 12 at 21:40
Latest Forum Posts