Non-motoring > I need to brush up on my Indian accent Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 12

I need to brush up on my Indian accent - VxFan
The guy at the other end of the phone calling from an international number asking if I'd like to take part in some survey or other couldn't understand me.

Was so tempted to say, "well how do you think I feel"

Click.

Just a shame the Panasonic phone isn't able to block international / out of area calls.
 I need to brush up on my Indian accent - John H
>> Just a shame the Panasonic phone isn't able to block international / out of area
>> calls.
>>

".... Certain Panasonic phone systems also allow you to block calls when no number is present. This allows you to block "Out of Area" and "Private Caller" calls whose number isn't in the caller ID data. .... "

>> Certain Panasonic phone systems also allow you to block calls when no number is
>> present.

Of which our Panasonic phone usually does. But not on this occasion.
 I need to brush up on my Indian accent - bathtub tom
They do have a way of making the call appear as coming from an 08000 number, or a 'real' code, but one that doesn't exist.

Note the extra '0'.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Mon 20 Aug 12 at 23:22
 I need to brush up on my Indian accent - L'escargot
If I inadvertly pick up the phone when it's a "number withheld"/"international" nuisance call I tell the caller (in English) that they'll have to speak to me in Lithuanian because I can't speak English!
 I need to brush up on my Indian accent - movilogo
If you enroll in Telephone Preference Service the number of such calls will greatly reduce. Although even after that I still get few junk calls.

I need to brush up on my Indian accent - Clk Sec
>>If you enroll in Telephone Preference Service the number of such calls will greatly reduce.

I'll second that; it's well worth enrolling. Although you do have to remember to renew each year.
 I need to brush up on my Indian accent - Focusless
>> Although you do have to remember to renew each year.

You don't have to if residential (from the FAQs):

"If you have registered a residential number or a number belonging to a sole trader or (except in Scotland) partnership, you do not need to renew. However, if you have registered a number on to the Corporate TPS belonging to a Limited company, Plc or other large organisation, you are required to renew annually. In this case TPS will send you an e-mail each year to notify you of this. Failure to renew will result in your number(s) being removed from the CTPS data file. Please be aware that if you change your telephone package, obtained broadband or change telephone line service provider for example, we may receive notice from your current/old line service provider that your line has been made inactive. In this case your number would be removed from the file as the service is only intended for live numbers."
Ah, good. That's one job less next year. :)

Thanks, Focus.
 I need to brush up on my Indian accent - Focusless
The website said I was on the list but I didn't remember ever renewing - had to check it wasn't my memory (again) :)
 I need to brush up on my Indian accent - bathtub tom
>>>> Although you do have to remember to renew each year.

That's what the cold callers try to tell you.
>> If you enroll in Telephone Preference Service the number of such calls will greatly reduce.

Already registered quite some time ago.

The "international and out of area" callers are exempt from TPS rules though.
>> The "international and out of area" callers are exempt from TPS rules though.

That's when the answerphone is useful, and they never leave a message.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Wed 22 Aug 12 at 06:10
Latest Forum Posts