Non-motoring > Jenny Wren Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 69

Jenny Wren - Pat
We have a dense 2' thick dividing hedge which runs down the length of the garden to my office window.

There has been a Wren living very close to the window for the last 3 years and I always feel to see her come out and hop about the patio is a priveledge.

The problem is we need to cut the hedge badly and every year we hold off as long as possible but does anyone know if she is likely to have chicks in the nest just now?

I really don't want to frighten her of , because she's so small and we assumed she hadn't made it through last winter.

But out she popped this morning:)

Pat

Last edited by: pda on Sat 8 May 10 at 08:04
 Jenny Wren - Crankcase
Wrens start breeding end of April, so it's possible, yes.

Jenny Wren - -
Could you leave it till the Autumn Pat, the nest might be well hidden from predators but cutting back might leave it too exposed and make access for them easier.

Jenny Wren - Pat
It's very dense and cutting it won't leave the nest exposed but our 3 cats are already aware that it's there and this time of the year is when I find myself teaching them what NO means:)

I'd like to leave it till autumn but that really isn't an option as it grows outwards as well.
Also our neighbours arn't really wildlife friendly and I suspect they will cut it their side as soon as it is dry enough ( raining today). Nice as they are, she is the Hyancinth Bouqet of gardening and everything has to be neat and proper and in straight lines!

I'm thinking, now I know there may be chicks, ( thanks for that!) that I could cut it back a little with shears for about 10' as it's quieter than the garden groom hedge trimmer?

Last edited by: pda on Sat 8 May 10 at 08:32
 Jenny Wren - Kevin
>Also our neighbours arn't really wildlife friendly..

Tell Hyacinth that you've been told it's a Cetti's Warbler nesting in the hedge and you have to leave it alone. She won't know the difference.

Cetti's Warbler is a Schedule 1 bird where it is a criminal offence to disturb an active nest.

Kevin...
Last edited by: Kevin on Sat 8 May 10 at 18:00
 Jenny Wren - Manatee
... or just tell her that wrens will only nest near the most well bred and respected citizens.

Amazing tiny birds. I watched one for ages a couple of weeks ago walking spider-like on a pebble-dashed garage wall picking insects out of some ivy.
 Jenny Wren - Pat
I like both ideas but I do think the one from Mannatee will appeal to her best:)

Pat
 Jenny Wren - Fenlander
Pat some 20yrs ago at this place we planted some 600ft of natural hedgerow and 25 trees... this has brought a fantastic bird population to what was previously stark arable land. Of all the birds our wrens are my favourites.

I'm afraid you should really leave the hedge now as the wrens nest from late April to late May with the first clutch but then often manage a second clutch in June possibly going through to July (but hardly ever August).

For the birds hedgecutting really needs to be Sept on and by March. This year we cut half our hedges 2nd week in April which with a late season meant we could still look all the way along for early nest activity as the leaf growth was minimal.
 Jenny Wren - Pat
>>some 20yrs ago at this place we planted some 600ft of natural hedgerow and 25 trees<<

What a lovely thing to do fenlander. When I moved over here from Leicestershire 30years ago, it wasn't just the hills I missed. It was hedges, trees, and cows.
I think that's why we get so many birds in the garden and with open fields at the back there is nowhere else for them to go.

There is a vey old and partly dead blackthorn hedge at the end of the garden and the wind blows straight through the huge gaps in the winter. We had intended to grub it out and fence it this spring, to make a bit of a windbreak but finally decided that we'd try and rescue what was left of it.
I've underplanted it with 3' high privet plants and we'll see what happens next winter.

I came to the Fens by accident, not by choice, and love Rutland/Leics borders where I'm from. I spent a lot of time resenting the Fen and most people in it too!
Now, I'm slowly learning to love it and I'll soon be a local:)

Pat
 Jenny Wren - Fenlander
Ha we're not locals yet... only been in this area 35yrs :-)

Home area is The Cotswolds so, like you, we were used to more hedges, grassland and livestock. We planted this place with the help of a council tree/hedge establishment policy/subsidy... all natural species and now many trees are up to 25ft and hedges 15ft tall/6ft thick. Was previously a smallholders propery surrounded by flat land ploughed to the dyke edges.

It's been the biggest transformation of any place we've owned... albeit taking some time.

Having said that the cutting period is very hard work with petrol powered trimmer and mini scaffold thing to stand on.... then so much burning/chipping.

Hope the wrens appreciate the effort.
 Jenny Wren - MD
Leave alone Pat although the shears may be an option, but I guess Fenlander is correct. Can't you appeal to Hyacinth?

Sitting in my office I am looking out onto an area of planting and paving and within 20ft there are: 2 Woodpigeons. 2 Collared Doves. 1 Cock Pheasant. 2 Hen Pheasants. Various tits and 2 Woodpeckers (eating my nuts) Baby Rabbit too last night eating the Primroses for all he was worth. Oh for a camera with a long lens!

Woodpigeon is now within 8 feet and looking right at me.

Morning all from damp Devon.
 Jenny Wren - Pat
Hyacinth had a Robin with babies in one of her winter hanging baskets last year and she gave them a week to fledge.
They didn't as they wasn't old enough but the winter baskit suddenly reappeared planted up resplendent with summer plants.

I tried to make her feel guilty but some people have no compassion at all.

Whichever one cuts their side of the hedge always cuts the top, and I'm trying to avois a noisy hatchet job with the black & decker from next door and think a quit sheer job may be the best option.

The wrens are used to me on the patio and sitting in the office with the window open, ( to sounds of AC/DC!) and are nestin within 4' of this.

There is a cock and 2 hen pheasants in my garden just now too!

Pat
 Jenny Wren - -

>> There is a cock and 2 hen pheasants in my garden just now too!

glutton for punishment, i female is more than enough..

...trouble...
 Jenny Wren - MD
Hyacinth had a Robin with babies in one of her winter hanging baskets last year and she gave them a week to fledge.
They didn't as they wasn't old enough but the winter baskit suddenly reappeared planted up resplendent with summer plants.

Firstly I would have reported her to the RSPCA for that if only to make her aware that she needs to have more respect. Then I would have done something to make her life uncomfortable and she would never have known. I cannot abide cruelty or Bully's.

M. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
 Jenny Wren - Tooslow
Pat, I'm amazed that you have a partly dead blackthorn hedge. We have a section of blackthorn and it gets wider every year as it suckers. I thought it was bulletproof. We actually have hedge / gap / hedge. Presumably the gap is where the hedge originally was and it's spread outwards over the years leaving the centre to die off. The centre appears to be a wildlife motorway. Could you not put some more blackthorn / hawthorn/ holly / hazel etc in there? It would be next winter / spring now but worth doing in the long term.

We get wrens too and I think they nest in the ivy that comes up everywhere like a darned weed. Some of that may help too. What is the hedge they're nesting in made up of?

Incidentally, I'm prepared to help out with the HB problem, alibi or anything :-)

JH
 Jenny Wren - Pat
The hedge the wrens are in is privet and very dense.
The blackthorn hedge is very old (4'' trunks) and has ivy growing through it everywhere. The gaps are at the bottom where some has died and I've now planted young privet in the gaps as it grows thick low down. We also keep topping the blackthorn to encourage it to shoot from the bottom, which helps until the winter when the huge gaps appear, hence the privet as it keeps it's leaf in winter.

HB is another problem altogether:)
She put bleach in her water feature to get rid of the algae! Her garden is colour co-ordinated, mine is a mass of typical cottage garden colour. Her weeds wave a white flag and give in, mine thrive and hide inder the Delphiniums. The cats go into her garden for a poo, she jumps up and down and shouts at them so I throw bird seed on her seed bed:)
Having said that, we do grow stuff and swap bedding plants when we have any left over, so it's not all bad but she's dug out a pond and now has some fish ( she wanted some of ours but how could I let them be relocated with a non animal lover) from a friend.........how long before the water turns green and she adds bleach to it???

There are animal lovers in this world, and there are 'other people'!

I have 5 sparrows fighting for space in the waterfall to have a bath and a blackbird queueing up to get in as soon as they have finished!

Pat

PS Just read my posts from this morning and noticed the typo's. Don't blame me, blame the cold and rain for fumbly fingers:)
Last edited by: pda on Sat 8 May 10 at 17:39
 Jenny Wren - Zero
Its very likely to have chicks in now. Wait till the end of may. they will have flown the coop by then.
 Jenny Wren - Tooslow
does she have a yellow & red chequer board patio? :-)

JH
 Jenny Wren - Robbie34
It is an offence under Section 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act of 1981 to intentionally take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird while it is in use or being built. It will be an intentional act, for example, if you or your neighbour know there is an active nest in the hedge and still cut the hedge, damaging or destroying the nest in the process.

Your neighbour could have been prosecuted for removing the nest from her hanging basket.
 Jenny Wren - -

>> Your neighbour could have been prosecuted for removing the nest from her hanging basket.
>>

should have been too, we'd have been like a dog with two tails to have the privelidge of a nest of Robins in our hangers.

give her a poke in the eye from us here.
 Jenny Wren - -
we had breakfast in bed earlier made by me, as settled down to eat lovely old fashioned porridge we watched the blue tit land in the nestbox 10 ft from our bedroom window, she emerged about 45 mins later so with luck she's sitting on a clutch of eggs, looking forward to seeing the youngsters, ditto the sparrows nesting in our hedge same as last year, one memorable day we watched the 2 parents and a whole row of youngsters on a branch of the tree beside waiting in turn for the fat balls, will try and get some pics this year....life's good.
 Jenny Wren - Iffy
A couple of clutches of ducklings in the stream that runs past my caravan window.

They usually have about 10 or 12, but I have to report the attrition rate is high.

I counted nine or 10 in one family last week, which is now down to four.

Opinions vary as to what takes them, mink in the stream is one theory, and some around here say wise old Mr Owl is quite partial to duckling for his lunch.

Their chances of survival increase as they get bigger.

There's been a healthy number of adult ducks ever since I've been here, so nature, as usual, knows what it's doing.
 Jenny Wren - MD
Right now there are two Wood Pigeons outside my office window (4 feet away) trying to have it off! No No, not the window cill. Er erm you know! Gone now.....................no sssh, they're back. He's a trier for sure.

I still shoot the odd one or two during crop damage season (and use the meat) but I think I am going soft now. Brings it home a little when you have been close to being gorn, if you get my drift.

Peace to you all......................M.
 Jenny Wren - Pat
For some reason, I've been invaded by Jackdaws this morning and there are a half a dozen trying to land on the bird feeders.
Jenny Wren update: We nipped to the local garden centre on Sunday to get some more compost ( I had to buy yet another Fuschia too!) and when we got back Mr HB had been ordered to cut the dividing hedge.

It was too late as he he'd started at the end where the wren is nesting. When I metioned it all I got was 'Well, it's only a nest' My side is still intact and threatening to take over the border but it will stay until June anyway. I haven't seen her this week but that isn't unusual, as I only see her rarely.
The squirrel is now hanging upside down from a branch of the Laburnum tree and eating peanuts, after managing to get some out of the bird feeder.
Interestingly the jackdaws all flew off when the squirrel arrived but the doves and smaller birds arn't bothered by him.
The squirrel looks very fat, is it breeding time for them too?

There are so many bonuses to be had by working from home!

Pat
 Jenny Wren - MD
Do you not drive any more Pat?
 Jenny Wren - Robbie34
It was too late as he he'd started at the end where the wren is nesting. When I metioned it all I got was 'Well, it's only a nest'

Why don't you report him? He is commiting an offence and could end up with a hefty fine.

The RSPB will take action if you inform them..
 Jenny Wren - CGNorwich
Pat,
Squirrels breed twice a year, once in February and again in June and usually have 3 to 4 young. The young take about 10 weeks to reach maturity so they will be striking out on their own about now.

We have a large oak tree in our garden with a hollow in which squirrels are currently nesting and it had been interesting watching them carry grass and other bedding material up the tree. Although they can be a nuisance robbing the birdfeeders I find watching them fascinating
 Jenny Wren - Pat
I had to give up driving last September Martin, the arthritis got worse and I really couldn't face another winter on the road. My old Boss offered me local/light work driving but I always wanted to do the job ( as I see it) properly or not at all.
I soon found I was bored though and decided to study and get myself trained to deliver the new Drivers CPC that all lorry drivers have to have. Over the winter I did a few training courses to get myself up to speed, became self employed and decided to write my own courses based on almost 30 yrs experience.
My old firm have 90+ drivers and I agreed to give them priority on my services which means I'm still in the yard and mixing with the old crowd most weeks at some point. I also have time for my second passion which is gardening:)

Regrets? Yes, if I'm honest I miss it so much, but it has turned out to be the best possible compromise and I'm still a part of the firm I worked for for 15 years.

CG....I should be watching for babies in the garden some time soon then!
I too love watching the squirrels and I don't mind them helping themselves to food from the feeders.

To be honest, I suppose I could report the neighbours to the RSPB but they will say they wasn't aware of a nest there, and that would be the truth, so it wouldn't achieve anything.

I suspect the wren is still there, and safe as this happens every year. The hedge is very dense and impossible to see inside so she's well protected.

Pat
 Jenny Wren - Fenlander
Ideally we'd like never to have age related health restrictions Pat but given what's happened you are so luckly to have moved sideways into a home based work so closely associated with the work you enjoyed so much.

For slightly different reasons I did similar when I was just 40 and the freedom of working from home was very rewarding. Oddly due to other life events very soon I'm looking to either get a low hours *pocket money* job or start something up at home again so I'm thinking about the possibilities. I quite fancy being one of those old guys in B&Q who actually know useful stuff about DIY and knows where to find a 1.6mm x 25mm panel pin.
 Jenny Wren - Pat
It really is nice to be able to book as much or as little work as I feel I want to do. Ian still works there and over the years the drivers that stay become part of the family,even though the firm has grown so much.

I'm pleased the gamble paid off, because we had to cancel a holiday we had booked last September to pay for my training courses and equipment but there's always this year!

I'm just glad that I knew deep down I was unable to secure some of the loads as tightly as I used to, and that I was subtly avoiding climbing in and out of the cab. I was struggling with putting the red air line on because of the pressure. There was always someone there to offer help if I was in the yard, but thankfully those great bunch of lads I worked with, never told me it was time to give up, they just let me come to that conclusion myself.

Have you thought of part time delivery van driving for tool hire firms?
Or if you insist on doing the B&Q job can you do it for Focus because our local one keeps moving everything around!

Now where is FT when you need him??

I need to know if it's safe to empty the greenhouse again and stand everything in a sheltered spot!

Pat
 Jenny Wren - FotheringtonTomas
>> Jackdaws squirrel

That's a bad lot to be in the vicinity for your other garden birds.
 Jenny Wren - Pat
But can I go and empty the greenhouse, FT ?

Frost forecast please since you saved me from disaster last week!

Pat

>> But can I go and empty the greenhouse, FT ?

Eh?

>> Frost forecast please since you saved me from disaster last week!

Um. Frost where?
 Jenny Wren - Pat
In the Fen FT:)

Pat
That's a fair area. Let me guess Ely. Based on the weather here, and what I know of "there", I wouldn't expect any frost at all. However, don't bet all your tomatoes on that, circumstances happen.

There's something handy at: www.metcheck.com - seems reasonably reliable (I sometimes point it at "here" to see whether or not it's correct!).
 Jenny Wren - Pat
Thanks for that link FT.
Metcheck agrees with you and the frost risk is minimal.

Tomatoes and cucumbers stay in the greenhouse all summer!

Pat
 Jenny Wren - MD
Here in North Devon the old folk say never plant out until May is out. Fairly good advice I would think.
 Jenny Wren - Ted

.....and don't cast a clout either !

Ted
 Jenny Wren - Pat
I've only moved the planted hanging baskets and tubs outside of the greenhouse into a sheltered spot. The bedding to go in the actual garden will have to wait a few days yet. I looked on here
www.gullshotel.co.uk/webcam-gulls-hotel-looe.htm ( be patient, but it's fun to look around!) and noticed it was raining this morning.
Did you get any Martin?

Pat
 Jenny Wren - MD
It has been raining here for most of the day Pat. Thoroughly miserable it has been. Radio Devon said tomorrow good and downhill again on Sunday. Mrs. MD has just said that next week should be more seasonal. More rain I guess!!!!

Best............Martin
 Jenny Wren - -
Sad day here, was doing some jobs outside when SWMBO noticed a crow sitting in one of the tall fir trees...eating...too late we realised he was dining on the contents of one of the Goldfinches nests, too late to get him too, after he went several finches in panic looking for their young.

War has been declared.
 Jenny Wren - Zero
I had magpie nests in my tall sliver birch trees.

Alas the nests (they are such crappy nest builders) fell out of the tree.

Must have been the rope and grappling hook accidently knocked them out. No idea how that happened.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 15 May 10 at 20:05
 Jenny Wren - Iffy
Interfering with nature - tut-tut to the pair of you.

And well done to Zero and good luck to gb. :)
 Jenny Wren - -
Thanks Iffi, cleaned resighted and ready.
 Jenny Wren - MD
34 grams of No.5. Lead of course, none of this new fangled stuff. Very satisfying when those twigs 'explode'.

MD
 Jenny Wren - -
That would be ideal MD just not possible in this area despite every neighbour in agreement with permission, and we have dealt completely with the maggies.

Silenced Weihrauch 100T...H&W FTT .22 pellet...MTC 16x50 sight...and a steady hand.

Jenny Wren - Pat
Good job you don't live near to me GB, IMHO that is far worse than my neighbours and the hedge.

They too may well have unfledged young in the nest that will dies a slow and painful death.

Pat
 Jenny Wren - -
Don't suppose the goldfinch chicks enjoyed their fate either.

Crow like other corvids are classed as vermin and can be killed under open licence to protect more endangered wildlife among other reasons.

We'll have to disagree on the ethics.
 Jenny Wren - Pat
There's nothing ethical about killing anything with young dependent upon it.

Pat
 Jenny Wren - Zero
we are not exactly short on crows or magpies.

Nature needs a guiding hand sometimes.
 Jenny Wren - Iffy
I think the numbers of magpies and cows have increased with the easier availability of food.

Faster cars in the last 50 years has meant more road kill, for example.

A magpie used to have to use a bit of wit and guile to find its lunch, now all it has to do is perch on a hedge beside a country road and wait.
 Jenny Wren - -
>> I think the numbers of magpies and cows have increased with the easier availability of
>> food.

Unusual cows in Iffi's manor, presumably only chewing the cud whilst waiting for a passing juggernaut to deal up a decent meal.

..;) sorry Iffi.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 16 May 10 at 11:46
 Jenny Wren - Iffy
...Unusual cows in Iffi's manor,...

I hope your magpies come back.

Jenny Wren - -

>> I hope your magpies come back.

.;).;) thanks iffi.
 Jenny Wren - MD
With his Weihrauch no chance. if that fails he can borrow my Superten, eh! GB
 Jenny Wren - -
Thanks for the offer Mart, hopefully the 100 will keep doing the business not as i'm going to allow them to establish anyway.
HW80 oiled and ready under the bed should the need arise too...thats a good reminder, i'll fetch that out in the week and give it a workout.

Incidentally i know there are a number of Chinese offerings about, cheap and cheerful probably describes them best, being a fan of Japanese manufacture i'm not aware of anything from their part of the world, do you know of any?
 Jenny Wren - Ted
I have an Airsporter with a scope but I have'nt takien it outside for years.......too frightened of thye TSG arriving round here and surrounding the house.

Was a bit nervous last week when i was using my strobe...it's black and shaped like a large-bore handgun, thought I might be staring down the muzzle of a Heckler & Koch any minute, although the wires might give it away.

Ted
Last edited by: silence of the cams on Sun 16 May 10 at 15:52
 Jenny Wren - MD
I hear from a Vet acquaintance who bought one for his Son that they are Carp.

Superten rated as best in the world I believe, but it's all a bit academic to be sure. Weihrauch highly rated when I was a Lad. Bought an Original 35 from a mate when I was too young! Sitting in a bedroom spying a Pigeon on Dad's Greens the darn thing went off sticking a hole through an old cabinet. Being resourceful even then I rejuvenated an ancient tube of Father's Plastic 'Wood' and patched it up. Never got caught....................well not for the hole anyway!!!!

I was away at a Motorcycle trial a week or two later and hadn't told Parents. The day was getting on and mate's Dad phoned mine and explained telling my Dad that I would be home in due course that he was the one who's Son had sold me the Air rifle. OHMYGOD when I got home. Stuff and fan etc. Fair play to Dad he didn't whack me, but I had to take my treasured (and short owned) Gun back. Happy days. Did much the same thing with an old Villiers a bit later and got caught for that too. Oh! such happy days.

Daughters Wedding in 3 weeks now and Grandson to follow. He can have my old Meteor, bought when I was fifteen (by Dad!!!) Grandson is not a reality tbh, but I've told her I want to place an order!!

Life's great if you don't falter.

Best to all....................Martin.
 Jenny Wren - DeeW
Didn't work here - the May has been out for weeks but we had a couple of good frosts last week in Southampton where I am staying, and I have put several layers of 'clout' back on!

This was in reply to Ted's comment, but no where near it!
Last edited by: DeeW on Sun 16 May 10 at 21:03
 Jenny Wren - Dog
We'll have to call this thread Bird4play,
LQQK what I just found in the garden, it's either very tame or it's been nibbling my 'special' plants :)

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/4615776768
Eee bah 'eck, it's a racin' pigeon, tha knows, 'appen.
 Jenny Wren - -
Well we've put a lot of food out over the last few weeks and whole familes of song birds have been feeding like there's no tomorrow, it's amazing just how much they can get through, will slow the feeding down soon or we'll have whole flocks reliant on us, not good for them.

Had a lovely 10 minutes of mesmerising charm half an hour ago, parent and fledgling Greater Spotted Woodpecker landed in the damson tree and we watched parent feeding the baby from the fat balls, quite marvellous....me flippin zoom lens has gone on the blink so no pics, typical.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 8 Jun 10 at 20:09
 Jenny Wren - smokie
Now I'm not normally one for noticing (feathered) birds, but I'm sure I saw a robin in my garden today. Is that likely? I suppose they have to be somewhere in the summer...
 Jenny Wren - Iffy
Don't let Rockin' Robin into the house - means there will be a death in the family.
 Jenny Wren - Zero
Oh yes robins rock around all the time. I was digging some holes in the garden last week and the Robin was fluffing away on the dirt spoils not three yards away from me.
 Jenny Wren - MD
Look what it done for Michael eh! Z
 Jenny Wren - Bellboy
i dont normally feed the birds at this time of year but certainly the blackbirds seem to be depending on it
whats wrong?
 Jenny Wren - MD
Bell, the two of us can look no more!
 Jenny Wren - Zero
Round my way the soil is hard and not many worms near the surface,
 Jenny Wren - Pat
We finally cut the privet hedge last weekend and still can't see the wrens nest, but at least she had some protection until June! We have a family of Robins who come down for a bath most days.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts