Non-motoring > Kitchen unit advice please Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 14

Kitchen unit advice please - Dave
I'm finally ready to fit a kitchen into my new old house. Due to various reasons like a window, wood burner, pipes for central heating, wonky walls and floor, and the hot/cold taps coming out of the wall, I'm a bit restricted on layout. So I'm going to use the Ikea free standing units along one wall.

But the thing is, the units are only available in black or white. I'm not too keen on white for the lower units under the worktops because they show the dirt too much, especially with dogs around the house. But, the wall above the worktop I've covered with dark slate effect tiles, so it might seem a bit dark with black wall units there, so I thought about using the white ones on the wall.

So is it going to look stupid with different colour units in the same kitchen - black for the lower, and white for the (upper) wall units?
 Kitchen unit advice please - Runfer D'Hills
Not a scooby if this'll work but might be worth a go...

www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/rooms_ideas/splashplanners.html
 Kitchen unit advice please - Zero
Kitchen units are wipe clean surfaces, dont worry about white showing the dirt, a quick squirt with CIF will bring them up a treat, dogs or no dogs.
You really love your pinny now don't you Z?

What's for dinner?

:-))
Ha, I'm a single guy, so trying to avoid even having to use a bit of CIF and a cloth if I have to.
A single guy would choose an all black kitchen then.
 Kitchen unit advice please - Roger.
A proper single guy would live on pizza, Chinese & Indian takeaways and thus not need a kitchen
His nearest chinky and ruby house are a hundred miles away down an Elk infested ice road.
Zero's a southerner though Dave. They're a bit confused about what's what...
>> You really love your pinny now don't you Z?
>>
>> What's for dinner?
>>
>> :-))

McDonalds, I am working tonight.
 Kitchen unit advice please - rtj70
You could always paint them a different colour.

But when we looked at Ikea kitchens last I thought you bought side panels etc to hide the carcass of the unit. Maybe I'm not understanding your requirement properly.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 3 Sep 12 at 18:37
 Kitchen unit advice please - Gromit
Dave's talking about the free-standing Ikea kitchen units, though, not the built in ones where you pick the carcass, doors and worktop seperately.

AFAIK, the free standing are also offered in cream, and I've seen cream and pine finish eye-level units to match the free-standing range. It'd be worth having a chat with one of the kitchen planning people in Ikea before you buy.

We have built in units in the 'Ikea' cream clour, which is good - certainly better than black - for not showing dog dander/mud/dust and sticky fingerprints. Oh, and if you're tempted by stainless steel applicances, DON'T if ease of maintenance is your thing. Matt finish is much easier to keep!
 Kitchen unit advice please - Dog
Don't do it black FFS!
>> Don't do it black FFS!
>>
Ha, I know what you mean, but the worktops are stainless, and the floors and walls (apart from the slate effect one) are light, so I though I might get away with it. plus it looks nice in the Ikea catalogue!

I'm off to Ikea tomorrow to get the first frame with the sink unit, so I'll take a look at them on display.
 Kitchen unit advice please - Dog
My kitchen units are gloss white with granite (effect) worktops, white wall tiles and dark grey granite (effect!) floor tiles.

Not my choice I might add, but it looks ok.
Latest Forum Posts