Non-motoring > Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 19

Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - Meldrew
A visitor has managed to dump some oily liquid on a newly laid block paved drive. It is either engine/gearbox oil or ATF. Cat litter was put on it to absorb the XS and the stain remains. I have read of a lot of liquid suggestions which I won't detail but it would be great to hear from anyone who has had success with removal and what they used to get a result. I have been advised that digging out and replacing the few affected blocks upsets the foundation of a larger area of the drive and that jet washers should be used with care, if at all, as they can wash the sand out from the gaps in the blocks. Thanks in advance
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - Runfer D'Hills
Don't know about block paving, we only have humble tarmac, but when the same thing happened on my drive I made up a sort of thickish paste with biological washing powder ( Ariel I think ) and a little warm water. Scrubbed it in with a yard brush and left it overnight. Rinsed it off in the morning with a watering can of warm water and got the brush on it again. Worked a treat.
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - Dog
Depending how big the area is, y'all could try STP brake cleaner.

Some peeps have used coke (Hiya Lud)

:-}
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - Stuu
Washing up liquid.
Thanks for the ideas to date. Coke has been mentioned elsewhere as has a gel made by mixing 50/50 of washing up liquid and white spirit. Keep them coming please
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - henry k
Google is your friend ? - oil on block paving removal

e.g www.pavingexpert.com/refurb_02.htm
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - Falkirk Bairn
My DiL brought her car home from a service @ main dealer and it leaked 1/2 ltr on drive. garage challenged and they said they would pay........... paving chap turned up, lifted the cleaned up bricks , turned them over and it was as good as new (the driveway & house were nigh on new so good colour match that might not apply if bricks are older & weathered).
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - bathtub tom
I've used washing up liquid and left it until it rains to good effect.

I've spilt paint on blocks before and inverted them, but you end up with a 'new' patch.
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - NortonES2
Gunk. Tested when I had a Norton.
Thanks for that NIL. Obviously it would be wise to check any fluid on a corner of the drive, rather than attacking the problem direct. I am afraid that Gunk might well remove the oil but then leave a stain of its own! It is pretty noxious and coloured stuff ISTR from when I used it to degrease engines. Any thoughts re your Norton oil stain?
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - Bromptonaut
You could just leave it for a week or three and see what happens. Engine oil breaks down pretty quickly. LHM takes a little longer, perhaps 3-6 months.

Gearbox oil deposited in May is still visible and seems more reluctant to go of it's own accord.
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - Dutchie
I've heard real coka coka let it soak in for at least 5 hrs.Another one strong false teeth cleaner Steradent again let it soak in.You live and learn.>:)
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - NortonES2
I don't recall any residual staining. But as you say, try a samll area first.
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - Cliff Pope
>> block paving removal
>>

Is the right answer.
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - Dog
forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=55704
We used to use Green liquid soap for cleaning the decks on harbour tugs.Hot water and a strong brush.Decks came up clean.I suppose the longer you leave the stain the harder it will be to get it out.
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - Runfer D'Hills
I used to have a tin of Swarfega in the garage. Wonder if that would work? Haven't consciously seen Swarfega for years. Must google it.
Good stuff Humph we used to use it regular.The green liquid soap was similair to Swarfega.
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - devonite
lift `em up, turn `em over, relay them!
 Cleaning oil spill off Block Paved Drive - L'escargot
What about an industrial solvent? "Power Solve" sounds as if it might be the sort of thing you need. tinyurl.com/bv9doje It's available in quantities as low as 5 litres so the cost shouldn't be out of this world. In any case, you've no doubt spent several thousands getting the drive laid, so you wouldn't want to spoil the ship drive for a ha'porth of tar solvent. I found it by googling for industrial solvents, and there may well be others just as suitable and from a more convenient source.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 4 Sep 12 at 08:39
Latest Forum Posts