Non-motoring > Government austerity measure? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 30

Government austerity measure? - sherlock47
The government appoints a firm believer in homeopathy as health secretary.

Presumably because water is cheaper than real drugs.

I thought that homeopathy had recently been comprehensively and scientifically debunked?

Next time I have a headache I will ask my nephew to throw an asprin in the Tasman Sea, before taking a glass of Thames water - but should I wait 24 hours?
 Government austerity measure? - Old Navy
Nah, Thames water won't work, everyone in the South East drinks that stuff after it has been recycled multiple times, must be why they are all so uptight. :-)
 Government austerity measure? - Dutchie
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QldD3CEITWo&playnext=1&list=PL07FBCC7C0085D689&feature=results_main

I fit helps why not? I need drugs to function but I like to do without it.

I found this clip on you tube a 11 year old talking about proper food en de chemical coctail most of us recieve in our system.
 Government austerity measure? - Alanovich
>> The government appoints a firm believer in homeopathy as health secretary.

Merely aligning Government policy with that of our next unelected Head of State.

;-)
 Government austerity measure? - John H
>> The government appoints a firm believer in homeopathy as health secretary.
>>
>> Presumably because water is cheaper than real drugs.
>>

Yes. Fantastic news - one way of cutting the spiralling cost of "real" drugs.

>> I thought that homeopathy had recently been comprehensively and scientifically debunked?

Don't you know - Science is a con, and drug scientists are in the pay of big drug companies?

>> Next time I have a headache I will ask my nephew to throw an asprin
>> in the Tasman Sea, before taking a glass of Thames water - but should I
>> wait 24 hours?
>>

Try it. You might find it is no different to taking aspirin, and may even turn out to be better than aspirin. But you gotta believe in it first.

:-)
 Government austerity measure? - devonite
The first step has now been taken to getting rid of the NHS ! - if you want "real" Medicines and proper treatment, get yer wallets out!!
 Government austerity measure? - madf
Since the Government has implemented no austerity measures yet, - see Ireland or the much derided Greece for real austerity measures - the appointment of a believer in homeopathy will make zippo difference.
Last edited by: madf on Tue 4 Sep 12 at 13:11
Ah! the "placebo" effect has started working already!! ;-)
 Government austerity measure? - Dutchie
It is certanly working on madf.Childerens ward shutdown in Leeds for hart operations.Parents now have to travel to New Castle for the childrens treatment.Politicans equals sheisters.>:)
 Government austerity measure? - Lygonos
If my child needed a heart operation such as new valve or transplant, I'd be happy to travel a few hundred miles to a centre of excellence.

I'd want teams who do dozens of complicated surgeries every year rather than ones who do them less frequently.

The same goes for serious injuries - major trauma centre every time, rather than a lesser A&E unit.

Balancing convenience, effectiveness and cost is best left to the Minister for Homeopathy.
 Government austerity measure? - rtj70
I thought it was because they wanted centres of excellence that some units were closed. You have further to travel but the surgeons involved will have more experience and skill. Didn't some close because there were too many incidents considering how few operations they did.

In a similar vain, I'm not sure I'd want major surgery in a private hospital. If things go wrong you'd end up transferred to a centre of excellence in the NHS. A colleague's wife's operations went wrong in a private hospital (mistakes made on a fairly minor op)... eventually after being transferred to an NHS hospital she was discharged. But weeks later she dropped dead due to a blood clot in the lung caused by the original botched operation.
 Government austerity measure? - Lygonos
Private hospitals are convenient and keep you away from the 'Great Unwashed'.

For expediting scans and low-risk surgery they're a good option if you or your insurer can afford it.

If the poo hits the fan I would want to be in a big NHS unit.

ALL hospitals are dangerous places to be, however, and I'd rather avoid them entirely ;-)
 Government austerity measure? - henry k
>>..... I'd be happy to travel a few hundred miles to a centre of excellence.
>>
>>Private hospitals are convenient and keep you away from the 'Great Unwashed'.
>>For expediting scans and low-risk surgery they're a good option if you or your insurer can afford it.

>>If the poo hits the fan I would want to be in a big NHS unit.

SWMBO has just had a second replacement knee at Oxford.
Ironically just walking distance from the J. R. NHS hospital.
We opted for a 120 mile round trip so that we got exactly who / what we wanted.
We are able to self fund but it certainly confused them as insurance is the norm.

We were surprised at the price variations around the country and also that some places could not give a bottom line figure re cost.
 Government austerity measure? - Old Navy
>> If the poo hits the fan I would want to be in a big NHS
>> unit.
>>

When discussing the options for major life saving abdominal surgery my GP advised NHS every time. Full scale facilities including ICU if it runs into problems. His reccomendation - private is only for minor periferal stuff.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 4 Sep 12 at 15:48
 Government austerity measure? - L'escargot
>> ........... a centre of excellence.

That's another square of my bullwhatsit bingo card ticked off!
;-)
 Government austerity measure? - Manatee
No need to travel to the Tasman Sea. Flush the aspirin down the bog and wait 24 hours. You'll cure all the headaches in London in one foul swoop.
 Government austerity measure? - zookeeper
its like all that progesterone and contreseptive chemicals that get flushed every day and gets recycled in to your london water supply... i suspect thats why you suvverners gets wiped out after a couple of shandies
I think it's only those peeps who don't need medications that express contempt for them.
I had my CHB done in a Private Hospital (The Wellington ,London) because the NHS hospital (Blackpool) couldn`t fit it in within their time-limit, The NHS funded the treatment though, one thing I found amusing was that the nurse counted every staple she removed from my leg, when I asked why, she said they were 5p each!!
 Government austerity measure? - zookeeper
for re-use?
 Government austerity measure? - sherlock47
>>>counted every staple she removed from my leg, when I asked why, she said they were 5p each!! <<<

They only cost 5p, but by the time they reach the patients bill they are probably £5 each! Everything gets charged as an extra - makes main dealer charges for brake fluid, oil, washer mix etc look very generous.

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 01:34
 Government austerity measure? - Roger.
My second back operation (due on the 14th.) is, like the first one, being done at a private hospital as NHS overflow. It's quite civilised with a private room and staff who treat you as a customer!
The consultant neurosurgeon does both NHS & private work and in fact is an examiner for medical students' papers.
Let's hope it works this time!
Last edited by: Roger on Tue 4 Sep 12 at 17:19
 Government austerity measure? - rtj70
I hope it does too. And that sort of op is unlikely to need emergency response to complications.

Repairing an aneurism might for example. Or anything to do with surgery on the heart.

Good luck Roger. Hope it works this time.
 Government austerity measure? - Meldrew
I had an excellent NHS "Customer Experience" today. I went to my local hospital for an 11.10 appointment. I was seen by a consultant at 11.00, had an X-ray, an ultra sound scan and went back to see the consultant for the second time. All in 70 minutes and £3 parking, and a good outcome. Sleeping well tonight I think!
>> one thing I found amusing was that the nurse counted every staple she removed from
>> my leg, when I asked why, she said they were 5p each!!
>>

She was pulling your leg. {I hope your leg remained attached! ;-)} She counted the staples she removed to check that the total removed corresponded with the total inserted by the surgeon, to ensure that none were left in.
 Government austerity measure? - Kevin
I think that Cameron's reshuffle shows how serious he is about making a real difference to the lives of ordinary citizens.

His new choice of MP to bring cultural enlightenment to the great unwashed is truly visionary - Maria Miller, MP for Basingstoke.

"A ministerial job means I can make sure that I can take everything I have learned in Basingstoke and apply it on a national scale."

I am available to assist any of you lot who wish to get a jump start - for a fee.
 Government austerity measure? - Bromptonaut
Maria Miller. Voted against Gay adoption, against IVF for Lesbian couples, against the Racial and Religious Hatred Bill and thinks homophobia and racial hatred come under the heading of free speech.

David Cameron appoints her Equalities Minister.

You couldn't make it up.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 4 Sep 12 at 20:24
 Government austerity measure? - R.P.
Or the self styled idiot Jeremy Hunt....
 Government austerity measure? - Bromptonaut
Chris Grayling as SoS for Justice and Lord Chancellor is an interesting appointment. First non lawyer LC in the modern era.

The (small p) politics with the Lord Chief and wider judiciary could be a good spectator sport.
 Government austerity measure? - R.P.
He's sacked his original Secretary of State for Wales - appointed from over the border was viewed with suspicion she delivered on her pro-Wales promises - now replaced by a Tory boy of the worst order a Welsh speaker (one of at least three) but seemingly anti-devolution...perhaps because his predecessor had gone native in a ladylike way !
 Government austerity measure? - Fursty Ferret
Well, my MP is the little twit John Bercow, so not only is my area unrepresented in the House of Commons but no one can stand against him either.

'bout time we have a box marked "None of the above" on the voting slip.
Latest Forum Posts