Non-motoring > New milk carton Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 83

New milk carton - Rudedog
OK this may sound trivial but does anyone know why the 4 pint milk cartons have started to change shape? it looks like the handle has moved onto the corner for some reason, they seem to be the same size so I can't understand what advantage there maybe.
 New milk carton - devonite
New packaging = increased costs = excuse to increase prices
 New milk carton - Bromptonaut
>> New packaging = increased costs = excuse to increase prices

Or alternatively

New packaging = reduced cost = price stays seem but profit larger.
 New milk carton - TheManWithNoName
Blimey Rudedog, you've got far too much time on your hands.

;-)
 New milk carton - Manatee
I bet Brompton is right. Weighing a sample of the new one and the one it substituted may show the amount of material needed is lower.
 New milk carton - CGNorwich
Build a better milk container and you can make millions. Wallenberg did just that when he invented the tetrahedral carton in the seventies and founded Tetrapak now one of the largest packaging companies in the world.
Mr Kellogg started using Waxed - paper long before that, but he put dry goods in it (Cornflakes), bet he was kicking himself later!
Mr Kellog made enough selling animal food to us for breakfast.
 New milk carton - Rudedog
Yes! 2nd week of AL before my allocation runs out.
 New milk carton - Focusless
BTW slight drift but Asda threw me a couple of weeks ago when they started stocking 'orange' milk (blue = full fat, green = semi-skimmed, red = skimmed). Reading the label, the new stuff is 1% fat, compared to semi-skimmed's 2%. Quarter-skimmed, I guess. Probably meant to appeal to those who want less fat but don't like the taste of skimmed.
 New milk carton - Gromit
Two more possible ways to reduce packaging cost by redesiging the carton:

Imagine the carton as a cube: the volume lost making a cut-out in the corner to fit your hand around the handle is less than the volume lost if the handle is in the middle of one side (if you know what I mean). So you fit 4 pints of milk into slightly less space.

Add up all those "slightly less spaces" in a 40 foot trailer-load and that adds up to quite an amount of diesel saved hauling them to the shop shelf in a year.

Also, the plastic may flow better in the mould if the handle is on the corner, giving an equally strong carton, but you can reduce the thickness of the carton's walls slightly. All those fractions of a gramme of plastic resin add up.

(The motoring link is when Ford, VW etc. do the same with auto parts, such as swapping the grade of polymer used to mould the dashboard air vents - 10 cents saved on every VAG vehicle built in a year is a tidy sum!)
 New milk carton - rtj70
Tesco has had that for ages.
 New milk carton - crocks
Around here Tesco are still on the old style cartons but Sainsbury's changed to the new style about two months ago. I don't like them. They feel a lot flimsier and having the handle on the corner makes them feel unbalanced and more difficult to pour from. But not enough to tempt me back to Tesco more often.

Link here says the weight of the 4 pint carton has been reduced from 40g to 35g.
www.infinibottle.com./infinibottlefact.html
 New milk carton - zookeeper
wouldnt a spherical milk container be most useful? least packaging per volume ? stick a teat on it and bobs your uncle...
 New milk carton - Roger.
>> wouldnt a spherical milk container be most useful? least packaging per volume ? stick a
>> teat on it and bobs your uncle...

Actually, BOOBS your uncle!
 New milk carton - L'escargot
>> >> wouldnt a spherical milk container be most useful? least packaging per volume ? stick
>> a
>> >> teat on it and bobs your uncle...
>>
>> Actually, BOOBS your uncle!
>>

Hemispherical, in my experience!
 New milk carton - rtj70
>> wouldnt a spherical milk container be most useful? least packaging per volume ?

Not efficient for space in the way of transportation though is it. Lots of space that cannot be used.
>> OK this may sound trivial but does anyone know why the 4 pint milk cartons ...........

I thought milk containers were all in litres nowadays.
>> I thought milk containers were all in litres nowadays.

The vast majority of Asda's fresh milk is in either 1, 2, 4 or 6 pint containers. They sell one litre packs of 'long life' milk.
 New milk carton - Crankcase
Since we're doing milk, I wonder how many pints you all get through in a week?

For us (two people), we barely use a pint a week. How about you?
2pts of Milk and 1pt each of orange and Cranberry - delivered to the doorstep by ye olde fashioned Milko!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxGXcJtt-B0
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxGXcJtt-B0

Sorry but you can't beat Benny Hill:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI

:)
>> I wonder how many pints you all get through in a week?

Down to 3 adults + 1 teenager now. I get 2 x 4-pinters in the weekend shop, but often get a couple more during the week as well. So up to 4 pints per person per week, I think.
i dont drink the stuff persay, just in tea to take the edge off, my old man used to do a milk round in the 70's
it was an occasional excuse to skive off school when i went with him on his round
the round was very close to my school too, saturdays were the the worse as it was pay up time for the customers.. and it was a very run down area
apart from the freezing bottles and the dog attacks i enjoyed it
www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/941675659/
 New milk carton - Pat
That brought back memories of living at Tilton zookeeper.

Pat
>> That brought back memories of living at Tilton zookeeper.
>>
>> Pat

blimey pat the batteries in them old floats were good then?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 4 Sep 12 at 21:18
 New milk carton - Pat
They used to come out to Tilton in the 70's but frequently run out of power at Evington on the way back! I used to have Gold Top as well in those days until we got snowed in and the local farmer used to bring a churn up to the village hall for us all!

Pat
>> They used to come out to Tilton in the 70's but frequently run out of
>> power at Evington on the way back! I used to have Gold Top as well
>> in those days until we got snowed in and the local farmer used to bring
>> a churn up to the village hall for us all!

blimey the dairey was just off the A47 on haines road , 2 miles past evington sort of
 New milk carton - Pat
I know just where you mean, I used to travel into Freemens Common to work each day and it was always a problem when one of them was being towed back.

I do miss Tilton, Leicestershire and the wondeful sense of humour of Leicester folk so much.

Pat
>>> I do miss Tilton, Leicestershire and the wondeful sense of humour of Leicester folk so
>> much.

oh well some of are still here , not many now tho...most of my clan have moved out
 New milk carton - Pat
I've still got family at Kibworth and Tilton..which side are you from?

pat
>> I've still got family at Kibworth and Tilton..which side are you from?

im still in leiceter, my lot move out , my parents moved to long clawson
>> For us (two people), we barely use a pint a week.

That doesn't sound much. Make sure you get enough calcium in your diet. tinyurl.com/23m2r35
Has anyone noticed the decline in Bluetits since supermarkets started selling Milk?
bluetits, sparrows ...aint seen them for ages.. i thought it was mostly to do with the food chain ? unleaded petrol to blame, kills the flying insects the birds consume
>> bluetits, sparrows ...aint seen them for ages..

Yesterday there were 23 sparrows and 37 starlings on our lawn. There were almost too many to count.
>> Yesterday there were 23 sparrows and 37 starlings on our lawn. There were almost too
>> many to count.

you must live out in the sticks then snail?
i see the finches when im down the SWMBO's shes out in the sticks
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 4 Sep 12 at 21:19
>> you must live out in the sticks then snail?

Green top semi-sticks.
>> >> you must live out in the sticks then snail?
>>
>> Green top semi-sticks.

not quite carrot crunching terratory then ?
Thought you may have loads of Thrushes! - waiting for you to go out!
i have cream for it
 New milk carton - Cliff Pope
>> Has anyone noticed the decline in Bluetits since supermarkets started selling Milk?
>>

Bluetits apparently first discovered milk by accident. They were initially attracted to the waxed cardboard tops on old wide-necked milk bottles. They didn't know there was going to be milk inside. Later, they learned to peck through the foil replacements.

Real old-fashioned milk separated readily into cream, so the bluetits learned to skim off all the cream from the bottles if people were slow to bring them in.
So the decline possibly started with homogenised milk, rather than Tesco per se.

The most gorgeous milk in the world used to come from the farm near us. We walked up with a small churn and they would fill it straight from the tank, cool and creamy. It was even better early in the milking when the jerseys had gone through the parlour and it wasn't too diluted with ordinary.
But that stopped a few years ago because they were worried about getting caught by the MMB gestapo.
>> The most gorgeous milk in the world used to come from the farm near us.

When I was a youngster I saw milk straight from the cow. I also saw what was removed at the filtering stage before it was put into churns to be sent to the dairy ~ all manner of slimy stuff, including blood. Having seen that, I would never ever ever ever drink milk straight from the cow. Bleugh!
1 pint normally lasts us around week. Never drink the stuff and don't put it in tea or coffee. Used in cooking basically.
>> 1 pint normally lasts us around week. Never drink the stuff and don't put it
>> in tea or coffee. Used in cooking basically.

cooking with milk? tripe then
"tripe then"

Cakes, batter, pancakes, lasagne, etc etc
>> "tripe then"
>>
>> Cakes, batter, pancakes, lasagne, etc etc

sorry norfolk , didnt realise you had such a varied cuisine out east
>> sorry norfolk , didnt realise you had such a varied cuisine out east

And we are beginning to use cutlery ;-)
 New milk carton - Zero
>> >> sorry norfolk , didnt realise you had such a varied cuisine out east

Swedes and turnips, any way you want them cooked.
Did you know Swedes are the major constituent of Branston pickle? They are described in the ingredients as Rutabaga, an alternative name.
Thats a turnup for the book!
uum..they still using the mud oven or did they get the gas put on off yarmouth ?
Since all your gas comes on shore at Bacton I'm a good mind to switch it off.
 New milk carton - Zero
not the only gas that comes out of Norfolk....
OMG the east anglians will want independance next, the kilts are already trade marked to the jocks..you lot will have to wear dresses i suppose
?
 New milk carton - Dulwich Estate
I remember at school, maybe winter 1963/64, going to the milk crates left in the playground for my daily third of a pint only to find...

..... the milk had frozen and the frozen cream on top was extended an inch or so above the top of all the bottles with the silver foil cap resting on the top.
>> I remember at school, maybe winter 1963/64, going to the milk crates left in the
>> playground for my daily third of a pint only to find...
>>
>> ..... the milk had frozen and the frozen cream on top was extended an inch
>> or so above the top of all the bottles with the silver foil cap resting
>> on the top.

third of a pint..who could neck it quickest ...alpha males
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 4 Sep 12 at 21:20
Yes! I remember them days as well, but did you also notice that the Bluetits still pecked their holes through the foil lid, instead of landing on the bottle and pecking at the cream-column?

>> the jocks..you lot will have to wear dresses i suppose
>> ?

We like to call them smocks

2.bp.blogspot.com/-6jZCgDN3Shc/UCPKqzRaN0I/AAAAAAAACDI/EP_i65nZEHU/s1600/4.jpg
 New milk carton - Armel Coussine
There used to be a thing called 'milk' that was delivered to your door in wide topped bottles with various sorts of stopper. It was often quite good creamy stuff. Then there was silver top and gold top and it wasn't delivered any more. Now it's in plastic litres and if you don't watch out the whippersnappers fill the fridge with filthy disgusting semi-skimmed thin blue bitter green top carp designed to ruin a chap's coffee.

It's a minefield. Blue top only for me.
 New milk carton - Roger.
(a) I like swedes (the vegetable, as you may have inferred from the lower case letter "s")
(b) I guess we use at least a litre of milk a day.
Fully skimmed UHT, from ALDI at, I think, £0.49p per litre. We buy it in the dozen pack cardboard outer and keep the bulk supply in the shed!
In fact I'm just about to drink a large glassful of it with some ice cubes added. Cheaper than beer and less fattening.
On a diet now, so alcohol, butter, cheese, bread, mashed potatoes are out.
- 1.8 kilos in a week, but the start is always better than the norm. The target is to lose around 15 kilos: still overweight, but I should be able to get into my 38" waist trousers again, which will save money - always a motivator with me!
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 01:33
"Cheaper than beer and less fattening."

You may be deluding yourself their Roger, Skimmed milk is 195 calories per pint. A pint of 4% beer is around 190 calories and tastes a lot better.
 New milk carton - Bromptonaut
>> You may be deluding yourself their Roger, Skimmed milk is 195 calories per pint. A
>> pint of 4% beer is around 190 calories and tastes a lot better.
>>

Yebbut!! After the first pint of beer the second third and eventually eighth al seem like a good idea.

Doubt the same applies to milk!!
True - I couldn't even contemplate drinking a glass of milk. Beer is of course another matter.
 New milk carton - Manatee
>> "Cheaper than beer and less fattening."
>>
>> You may be deluding yourself their Roger, Skimmed milk is 195 calories per pint. A
>> pint of 4% beer is around 190 calories and tastes a lot better.

Don't misunderstand me, I thoroughly approve of proper beer - a meal in itself - but I think alcohol must have the wrong kind of calories. I've been eating and drinking more or less the same calories weekly since April, but the weeks in which I've had a few more pints in the mix are the ones when my weight has stayed static rather than fallen.

I don't say this is an authoritative source but it might account for my experience of trying to treat all calories equally -

www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=563

Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 11:22
 New milk carton - Dog
>>In fact I'm just about to drink a large glassful of it with some ice cubes added<<

You might as well drink plain water, for all the good fully skimmed UHT milk? will do you.

(Forgive them Father, they know not what they do)
"You might as well drink plain water"

You know I can't honestly remember when I last drank a glass of plain water. Only ever drink tea, coffee, beer or wine.
 New milk carton - rtj70
>> You know I can't honestly remember when I last drank a glass of plain water.
>> Only ever drink tea, coffee, beer or wine.
>>

When away in Greece and Italy I realise I drink too little water at home. Over there in the heat you realise you need a drink (of water).

So at home I try to make sure I get either Mythos or Peroni.
"I get either Mythos or Peroni."

That ain't beer. :-)

Proper beer:

www.woodfordes.co.uk/html/our_beers.html
 New milk carton - Crankcase
Interesting. I drink nothing BUT water, as a general rule. Be lost without it.

Actually, thinking about it, not quite true - about two decaff coffees a week.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 08:32
 New milk carton - Dog
I drink a quite a lot of water every day, but I boil it first and then bung in a Ceylon teabag.
We all drink a lot of water whether its in tea, beer coffee or wine or just in the food we eat - most vegetables are 90% water. Just don't drink the stuff by itself. Just find it too ,well, watery!
 New milk carton - Dog
>>Just don't drink the stuff by itself. Just find it too ,well, watery!<<

You could always add some Scotch Irish Whiskey to it.

:-}
 New milk carton - neiltoo
"Never drink water - fishes f**k in it"

WC Fields
 New milk carton - Zero
>> "You might as well drink plain water"
>>
>> You know I can't honestly remember when I last drank a glass of plain water.
>> Only ever drink tea, coffee, beer or wine.

At the peak, the Olympic volunteers were getting through 50,000 litres of bottled water a day.
 New milk carton - Fursty Ferret
Just seems to have shifted to the American style - though of course there you buy your milk in half-gallon containers minimum. Never understood this whole 1%/2% fat thing; I buy my milk in bottles with green lids and if they're changing the colours I'll shop elsewhere.
 New milk carton - Roger.
>> >>In fact I'm just about to drink a large glassful of it with some ice
>> cubes added<<
>>
>> You might as well drink plain water, for all the good fully skimmed UHT milk?
>> will do you.
>>
>> (Forgive them Father, they know not what they do)
Not quite, El Perro - it still has loads of calcium in it!
'The nutritional composition of dairy products'
www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=197

Look at that Channel Island milk - 10.5g of fat per 200ml glass!

Unfortunately they don't do side-by-side comparison tables.
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 09:59
 New milk carton - Dog
>>it still has loads of calcium in it!<<

That's good ... for Atherosclerosis.

:{
 New milk carton - DP
We are a semi-skimmed household these days, although we buy the odd pint of blue top as a treat. I find semi-skimmed perfectly OK in tea and coffee, and acceptable on cereal. I cannot differentiate between skimmed milk, and water with a white colouring agent in it. Awful stuff. Semi skimmed is OK though. We typically go through 10-12 pints of semi-skimmed a week. My wife is a keen cook and uses quite a lot, plus the usual tea coffee and cereal.

I too remember the silver top being delivered by the milkman when we were kids. When you pressed in the little foil top, there was always a ring of cream around the inside of the bottle neck which was delicious.

New milk carton - VxFan
I can remember those milk bottles with the pictures on them. collected a few, as I imagine others did too? That was probably why they stopped doing them as no one was returneing the empties ;)
 New milk carton - Ted

The milk appears on our doorstep every morning when we get up, 'cept Wed/Sun.
Don't know where it comes from, it's always semi-slimmed with the bonus of 6 chucky eggs on Saturday.

Then on Thursday a man hammers on the door and demands money.......we have a short but friendly argument, sometimes he has a cuppa, but he always seems to wring a few quid out of me !

You can still get the vomit inducing Steralised up here...if I see it in someone's fridge, I always decline a cup of tea there. Milk of the Devil, assuming it's a she....which it's bound to be !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts