Non-motoring > TV USB wireless dongle thing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 19

TV USB wireless dongle thing - Tooslow
Being the proud possessor of a new Sony tv with wireless capability does anyone know if it will work with a cheapo USB dongle? They seem to be available from about £10. The Sony option is £69 (UWA-BR100) or they mention Devolo, to use a wired connection and the Ethernet port.

At £10 I'll have a play, at nearer £70 I'll not bother! Wife thinks teletext is bad enough, not sure she'll approve of internet on the telly! :-)

Thanks,
JH
 TV USB wireless dongle thing - Zero
Unlikely, I doubt the Sony has the required device drivers built into its microcode.

I plan to use powerline internet adaptors. If you want to utilise BBC IPlayer you will need an internet connection.
 TV USB wireless dongle thing - R.P.
Are these powerline whatsits 13 amp socket adaptors with a ethhernet socket ?
>> Are these powerline whatsits 13 amp socket adaptors with a ethhernet socket ?

indeed dey is. And well they work too guvnor.
 TV USB wireless dongle thing - sherlock47
>> Are these powerline whatsits 13 amp socket adaptors with a ethhernet socket ?

indeed dey is. And well they work too guvnor.

But if you are in a reasonable sized house with separate power rings to eg first/ground floors you may find they dont work. My rings were spit across 2 Consumer Units, and the only solution was to rearrange the rings onto adjacent ways on the same CU. (And there were no surge protectors or similar involved).
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 8 May 10 at 18:51
 TV USB wireless dongle thing - R.P.
I had them with my BT Vision thing - work well they do !
 TV USB wireless dongle thing - Cpt. Flack
If you have WIFI connection for your computer, buy a Playstation 3 which has internet access, and allows you to play games or Blu Ray discs, and normal DVDs. I've used this to watch BBC IPlayer.
But he has Iplayer on his tele. so why buy a playstation?
 TV USB wireless dongle thing - spamcan61
I'm confused here - this telly is advertised as having ' wireless capability' but it fact it doesn't have it unless you buy a dongle? If so I'd agree the powerline route is probably better, and they seem to have dropped in price a lot recently.
Have you discovered if the 'Sony iplayer' offers the same services as the standard iplayer?

I only ask because the Humax based service would not allow me to watch the F1 quali this afternoon (shown as not available) but direct net access would work!

>> Have you discovered if the 'Sony iplayer' offers the same services as the standard iplayer?
>>
>> I only ask because the Humax based service would not allow me to watch the
>> F1 quali this afternoon (shown as not available) but direct net access would work!

The Iplayer service is made available by BBC, if it says not available, its the BBC not sony that control what you can access. IN theory anythng that can be called up via the BBC net page should be availble to watch, but clearly the BBC did not make it "callable" via Freesat.
 TV USB wireless dongle thing - Iffy
...I only ask because the Humax based service would not allow me to watch the
>> F1 quali this afternoon...

This is F1 so the answer is bound to be money.

I expect the Beeb's rights to the coverage will be strictly controlled.

I've noticed some 5Live football commentaries are not available on the internet, presumably again to do with rights.

the BBC are only able to make progs available on IPlayer if they own the rights.

So no film, or some sport, or some concerts.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 8 May 10 at 20:35
 TV USB wireless dongle thing - Stuartli
>>but clearly the BBC did not make it "callable" via Freesat.>>

The BBC iPlayer in Beta form is available on page 7001 on Freesat (or via the link on the initial page after pressing the red button); I run a wired Ethernet connection to my 42in TV via a KVM switch and the iPlayer video and sound are normally first class.

The TV can be linked to a wireless router but, as I only have one PC, I only require a wired modem router, hence the wired Ethernet connection to the TV.

As already pointed out, an alternative could be to use a twin pack of HomePlugs or equivalents, such as:

tinyurl.com/2wotac3
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 8 May 10 at 23:06
"buy a Playstation 3" - hey, I'm willing to splash out a tenner, I'm not that bothered.

JH
 TV USB wireless dongle thing - Focusless
>> Unlikely, I doubt the Sony has the required device drivers built into its microcode.

Can you get a Wifi receiver like what the USB dongle thing is, but that you can connect to a PC/TV using an ethernet cable rather than USB? I mean, do such things exist?
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 8 May 10 at 19:22
I mean, do such things exist?

Google 'Access point'
 TV USB wireless dongle thing - Focusless
>> I mean, do such things exist?
>>
>> Google 'Access point'

Ah, that'll be these: www.ebuyer.com/cat/Wireless/subcat/Access-Points

We use powerline adapters at home, and they seem to work fine despite the router to which the 'master' is attached being in an extension, with the other 3 spread all over the house, upstairs and downstairs. Just to state the obvious, you need a minimum of 2.
Focus, know what you mean but I've no idea.

Incidentally if anyone is going down the powerline route this looks a good option - 4 ports, that's one for your tv, one for the blu ray player, one for the Humax and one for the little boy who lives down the lane. Reviewers say it works when plugged into an extension socket too, which is good news as my pc stuff runs off two extensions, one power controlled thingy that powers down with the pc and one providing power for things I run with or without the desktop pc - router, desk lamp etc.

tinyurl.com/37ygvsq

JH
 TV USB wireless dongle thing - Stuartli
>>..USB dongle thing>>

The USB dongle thingy for my Panasonic TV would set me back between £80 and £100 if I ever needed one...:-(
Latest Forum Posts