Non-motoring > More kitchen unit advice!! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 19

More kitchen unit advice!! - Dave
So I took everyone's advice and went with the white units. They look a bit boring, but I think the black ones were just a bit too modern and fancy for an old house.

But here's another question. The wall that the wall units are going onto slopes backwards, ie. it's further away from you as you get to the ceiling. Over the height of a unit, 60cm, it's probably about max 1/4" gap at the top if the unit is perfectly upright. So do I just screw them onto the wall as is, or attempt to pack them out behind at the top so they are upright?

The problem I see with this is the slope probably isn't uniform, so any packing will have to vary in thickness for each unit, plus the end unit will have a visible gap.
 More kitchen unit advice!! - Zero
Do you have continuous worktop? thats normally trimmed to fit. If you dont, you fit a strip of splashback to the wall, usually some 60cm thick worktop.
 More kitchen unit advice!! - Mapmaker
Therein the skill of fitting a kitchen.

You have a worktop which is a fixed depth. That has to be perfectly flat otherwise it will irritate you horribly...

The units therefore have to be placed correctly in order that they fit the worktop. If you have to trim them at the back or otherwise support them etc. etc. then that's the skill.

If you just screw them to the wall as is, then they will not be level and they will irritate you as much as receiving texts every ten minutes... ;)
 More kitchen unit advice!! - sherlock47
Have I got wrong or is Zero mistaken? He is talking about wall units, not base units - so the work top does not come into it?
>> Have I got wrong or is Zero mistaken? He is talking about wall units, not
>> base units - so the work top does not come into it?

I dunno? are we talking base units or wall units? if its Wall units you just use those plastic slotted wedges at the top. If its base units you just shape the back of the worktop or fit a splash back.
 More kitchen unit advice!! - Runfer D'Hills
How do you know stuff like that? That's witchcraft or you've been moonlighting as an advisor in B&Q right? Plastic slotted wedges indeed ! Who knows that stuff? Amazing !

I'd have folded up some old shoe box lids.

Or got a man in.

:-)
 More kitchen unit advice!! - R.P.
And me too....I'm, well, moved.
I think he just makes these things up. If you say something confidently enough most people will believe you.

>> And me too....I'm, well, moved.

They are wonders of gobsmacking usefullness. You half screw the unit to the wall almost level with the rest, drop the slotted plastic wedge over the screw, then tighten up.

How do I know? Designed and fitted three kitchens me, guvner.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 20:47
Like I said, I think he just etc...

Oh ye of little experience. If it helps you can believe I made up the pension too.
Shonky houses in Surrey then?

Figures.
 More kitchen unit advice!! - henry k
>>So do I just screw them onto the wall as is, or attempt to pack them out behind at the top so they are upright?
>>
>>The problem I see with this is the slope probably isn't uniform, so any packing will have to vary in thickness for each unit, plus the end unit will have a visible gap.

I would use "plastic wedges and packers" like the trade do.
You could get a strip of wood from a DIY shed or a wood yardand shape it to fill the gap. The strips are normally in a rack with all sorts of fancy cross section strips.
 More kitchen unit advice!! - No FM2R
Dave,

If you care enough then you need to scribe them in. This is a tedious, irritating job, but ultimately simple and, if you're careful, then effective.

If you don't care enough, then pack the tops with the approriate thickness and by some edging strips from B&Q. If you;re talking about a 1/4" variation, then the strips will certainly conceal it.

Screwing them in an ignoring the 1/4" will ultimately irritate.
 More kitchen unit advice!! - swiss tony

>> But here's another question. The wall that the wall units are going onto slopes backwards,
>> ie. it's further away from you as you get to the ceiling.

>> The problem I see with this is the slope probably isn't uniform, so any packing
>> will have to vary in thickness for each unit, plus the end unit will have a visible gap.
>>

I didn't have you down as living in a (ex?)council house....
 More kitchen unit advice!! - Dog
These may give you some ideas Dave:

www.lets-do-diy.com/Projects-and-advice/Kitchen/Fitted-kitchens.aspx

www.diy-forum.net/re-fixing-kitchen-units-uneven-wall-t159544.html

www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=111409
 More kitchen unit advice!! - Dave
Sorry, it is the wall units I'm talking about. The base units are mounted in steel frames as part of the free standing kitchen, so they're all square, worktops flat etc. thanks to adjustable feet.

Ha, the ceiling also slopes downwards at one end, so the (wall) units will be closer to the roof at one end also. I've never seen those fancy wedges, but I'll measure it a bit more tomorrow, and maybe offer a unit up and take it from there. One advantage to fixing them straight to the wall will be the self closing action!

As an aside, most of the Ikea stuff came from Latvia and Lithuania. With the amount of stuff they sell around the world, Ikea must be responsible for 50% of eastern Europe's GDP.

>> I've never seen those fancy wedges,

www.stadon.co.uk/pages/wedgit/hangershims.htm
 More kitchen unit advice!! - Fullchat
Or:

www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/packers-shims/cat840018
 More kitchen unit advice!! - henry k
As I indicated in my earlier posting " plastic wedges and packers"
A search on Fleabay will result is sensible prices for a one off job
Latest Forum Posts