Non-motoring > National Insurance question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 17

National Insurance question - Westpig
Any one out there able to answer a question for me?

If you receive a pension, you don't pay National Insurance, but do pay tax.

If I were to take a modest job (which I've been offered), I obviously expect to pay more tax, but what happens to my NI?

The part-time job equates to 6k pounds p.a.

On its own with no pension, there'd be no NI payments with a 6K job. Am I correct in thinking that with the pension attracting no NI, the modest job salary won't either?

It makes a difference as to whether it is financially sensible to take the part-time job.

Thank you.
 National Insurance question - Bromptonaut
NI would only be based on earnings from employemt though whether £6k is under the floor limit I don't know. IIRC the amounts are based on weekly or monthly numbers dependant on pay interval.

Mrs B is paid weekly as a supply teacher. NI varies considerably, almost nil if she only does a single day.

You'd presumably be taxed at BR however on the lot however as your police pension will absorb all your personal allowance.
 National Insurance question - R.P.
Despite havng paid your thirty years plus to qualify for State Pension - you will still pay it if you take up new employment if you earn over the treshold.
 National Insurance question - Meldrew
I took up part time employment at age 66 and was thus drawing the State Retirement Pension. On that basis I did not pay NI This was a matter of fact rather than choice. I am guessing that as I was already drawing the pension towards which some part of my contributions would have been going I did not need to pay. I was certainly well above the minimum wage and was getting about £900 a month in hand for a 21 hour week
Last edited by: Meldrew on Thu 6 Sep 12 at 13:46
 National Insurance question - L'escargot
These might partially help you. www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/nic.htm and www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm and www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/TheNationalMinimumWage/DG_10027201 and www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Working/OpportunitiesInRetirement/DG_10014663
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 6 Sep 12 at 12:16
 National Insurance question - Falkirk Bairn
Over State Retirement Age = no NI

Any age - earning less than approx £150 /week = No NI

Earning over £7.4K= NI payable if under retirement age
 National Insurance question - R.P.
Despite the fact that you've paid the full wack during your Police Service to qualify for your State Pension you still have to pay NI contributions if your earnings are over the threshold. Your old job should have told you to get a State Pension Forecast (you can get it from the DWP costs nothing). - Any work you do after attracts the NI contribution as described above this is to satisfy the requirements of any contribution based JSA or ESA that you might become entitled to if you lose your job either because it stops or you become ill and can't work. However they will probably shaft you because you have effectively got a private income.
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 6 Sep 12 at 16:43
Thanks.

I'm now a part-time delivery driver........of flowers.

I don't know a Petunia from a Peculiar but i'm sure i'll manage.

The flower shop owner, who does all the wages herself...thinks I won't pay any NI, because 6K is below the threshold and the pension doesn't attract NI.

I only went into the flower shop to buy my missus some flowers...and came out with a job?

...and she's a family friend....and i've spent months applying for tinpot silly little jobs and being rejected immediately with no interview.
Last edited by: Westpig on Thu 6 Sep 12 at 18:49
 National Insurance question - Pat
White van man??? :)

Pat
 National Insurance question - MD
Blue light?
>> White van man??? :)
>>

Yes...I've booked my driving course and am studying the pre-course reads. I'm on chapter 5 'How to force other people to get out of the way in lane 3 of a motorway'.

Chapter 6 looks more interesting though. 'Varied hand signal usage'.
 National Insurance question - Fullchat
I'm on chapter 5 'How to force other people to get out of the way in lane 3 of a motorway'.

Skip that one WP. Falls under Prior Accredited Learning :)
 National Insurance question - swiss tony
>> Yes...I've booked my driving course and am studying the pre-course reads. I'm on chapter 5 'How to force other people to get out of the way in lane 3 of a motorway'.

Don't bother... here is an extract....

'In lane 3, just keep the throttle floored - do NOT lift off, you may find the use of flashed headlamps and horn useful.
If the Muppet in front refuses to yield, just swing into lane 2 until you have passed them.
Do not worry, the plonker in lane 21 will move to lane 1 for you.'
Are you out of the 'Job' now WP?

As an aside I wouldn't mind talking to your brother (I think) regarding the Fantic Trials bike I've mentioned before and also to run my new 'requirements' re: 2 wheels by him. Thoughts please on here or privately if you would be so kind.

Best regards.........Martin.
>> Are you out of the 'Job' now WP?

Yes. Signed off on Feb 7th this year, although i'd been on leave a while longer.
>>
>> As an aside I wouldn't mind talking to your brother (I think) regarding the Fantic
>> Trials bike I've mentioned before and also to run my new 'requirements' re: 2 wheels
>> by him. Thoughts please on here or privately if you would be so kind.

I'm happy for a friendly Mod to pass my e-mail.
 National Insurance question - Zero

>> I'm now a part-time delivery driver........of flowers.

Thats nice petal. Is this going to make you more understanding to your fellow man now you are in touch with your feminine side?
>> Thats nice petal. Is this going to make you more understanding to your fellow man
>> now you are in touch with your feminine side?
>>

No. The way I'm looking at it is some of them are horrible, mean, barbed things.
Ruddy Customers........
Latest Forum Posts