Non-motoring > 20/20 cricket Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 43

20/20 cricket - Meldrew
I have had a look at the rules and, while there are some restrictions on the placement of fielders at various times during the 20 overs, I can't quite work out why some batsmen make such enormous scores off relatively few balls. The bowlers are the same as in other formats of the game but they seem to get hit for 4s and 6s as a matter of course. Any thoughts?
 20/20 cricket - Zero
You typically get scores of, say, 200 for 6 - 240 all out. You trade quick scores for wickets in 20/20

Such scores and tactic are not test match winning.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 18 Sep 12 at 14:10
 20/20 cricket - madf
20/20 cricket is at least interesting.

Test match cricket is designed for old buffers to watch, as any excitement is dangerous to their hearts...
 20/20 cricket - Focusless
I've mentioned it before, but watch out for Indian Premier League (aka IPL) on ITV4 when the season comes round. They spend about 8 hours a day showing live coverage of a couple of matches, and the ball goes everywhere. Lots of non-Indian players.

Don't hold your breath... www.iplt20.com/ :)

EDIT: I didn't mean to imply the Indian players aren't any good, just that there's a good mix of well-known internationals
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 18 Sep 12 at 15:30
 20/20 cricket - madf
IPL is great to watch...

It is surety time to bin County Cricket and play more exciting stuff... Oh sorry cricket is still in the 20th century in the UK...
They do both don't they? Keeps everyone happy.
 20/20 cricket - Roger.
It's not proper cricket, though, is it?
 20/20 cricket - madf
>> It's not proper cricket, though, is it?
>>

No .. it's not proper cricket.. It is interesting and fun to watch so not proper

You need to keep awake during IPL matches. In County Cricket and Test Matches you can sleep for hours and miss nothing.
 20/20 cricket - CGNorwich
It's not proper cricket it's a mickey mouse game for those with a limited attention span.Still it makes loads of money so that's alright.
>> It's not proper cricket it's a mickey mouse game for those with a limited attention
>> span.

And those of us who don't want to spend a reasonable amount of money to pay to watch a game at a ground, so are restricted to watching what's on (freeview) TV. Which AFAIK is just IPL(?).
 20/20 cricket - Armel Coussine
Never looks right played in pyjamas or shell suits. Kerry Packer has a lot to answer for sartorially.

Saw a clip on the box last night showing an Afghan girls' cricket team practising. They didn't seem all that good and there was no wicket in part of the clip, but they looked very fetching in sort of orange jump-suit chadors with built-in headscarves. Charming, and one hopes the British Council is doing all it can to help and encourage.

:o}
 20/20 cricket - Mike Hannon
Couldn't have put it better myself. Scores mount quickly because it's no more than an undignified slogging contest, carried out in pyjamas.

This popped up in the wrong place - it was in response to CGN above.

>Test match cricket is designed for old buffers to watch, as any excitement is dangerous to their hearts...<

Thank you for being so considerate about my health!
Who was it who said 'one-day cricket is exhibition, test cricket is examination'?
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Wed 19 Sep 12 at 11:04
 20/20 cricket - madf
>> Couldn't have put it better myself. Scores mount quickly because it's no more than an
>> undignified slogging contest, carried out in pyjamas.
>>
>> This popped up in the wrong place - it was in response to CGN above.
>>
>> >Test match cricket is designed for old buffers to watch, as any excitement is dangerous
>> to their hearts...<
>>
>> Thank you for being so considerate about my health!
>> Who was it who said 'one-day cricket is exhibition, test cricket is examination'?
>>

I'm always considerate of the health of our older citizens...(I am one myself):-)

Who was it who said 'one-day cricket is exhibition, test cricket is examination'?

An old buffer..
 20/20 cricket - Meldrew
If this is "Proper" cricket it is easy to understand the decline in popularity

www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/62657.html

10 days play and a draw!
>> www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/62657.html

"Balls per over 8" ??
 20/20 cricket - Meldrew
I don't know - the scoring rates are quoted per 6 balls. ISTR that it was 8 balls per over at some point in the distant past
>> ISTR that it was 8 balls per over at some point in the distant past

And others:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over_(cricket)#Historical_number_of_balls_per_over_in_Test_cricket
 20/20 cricket - madf
Cricket was invented by yokels who had the pace of life of a snail. And refined by the Victorians who ruled the Empire..

Since then it has hardly changed.

And the powers that be wonder why?

IPL is a game worth watching, 3 day matches are designed for spectators who take time off from ruling the Empire or running the Regiment.
 20/20 cricket - Zero
>> IPL is a game worth watching, 3 day matches are designed for spectators who take
>> time off from ruling the Empire or running the Regiment.

So why is is relegated to channel 4, where hardly anyone watches it? Its an overhyped, circus where the clowns are paid far too much. American style sport done really badly.

Edit

Oh and the clowns are all has-beens
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 18 Sep 12 at 19:23
 20/20 cricket - WillDeBeest
To expand a little on Zero's first answer, the crucial number is ten: that's the number of wickets the team has in all forms of the game. In Twenty20 there's little benefit to having wickets in hand at the end of the innings, so the batting side can accept the risk of getting out and simply throw the bat at everything. By contrast, a Test innings might take 150 overs to produce a match-winning total, so conserving wickets is essential. It means that a team that wants to win has to bowl and field aggressively, since it's not enough to save runs and wait for the overs to run out.

Every now and then, a tactic from one form of the game percolates into another, most often when a batsman in a Test match decides he has nothing to lose by going for his shots. But the one that sticks in my mind is from the 1999 50-over World Cup, when Australia's captain Steve Waugh sensed that the ball was swinging, so set a Test-style field of four slips and a gully. England's attempts to hit their way out of trouble just produced edges and catches, they were skittled and Australia won comfortably.
 20/20 cricket - madf
>
>> Oh and the clowns are all has-beens
>>

Stein a has been? ROFL
 20/20 cricket - Zero
Warne a current player? ROFL

(I have at least one for everyone of yours)
 20/20 cricket - madf
>> Warne a current player? ROFL
>>
>>
>> (I have at least one for everyone of yours)
>>

Pietersen a has been ? ROFL

20/20 cricket - Zero
>> >> Warne a current player? ROFL
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> (I have at least one for everyone of yours)
>> >>
>>
>> Pietersen a has been ? ROFL

Name me the current test team he is in? Here take this gun, stick out your foot. Trigger is there

Azhar Mahmood ROFL
>> So why is is relegated to channel 4, where hardly anyone watches it?

NB. that's ITV(channel)4, not to be confused with Channel 4, which gets viewers :)
>> NB. that's ITV(channel)4

...home of other minority sports, like cycling (Tour de France) and motor bike racing (Isle of Man TT) :)
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 19 Sep 12 at 09:12
 20/20 cricket - CGNorwich
In terms of number of viewers they are indeed minority sports.
 20/20 cricket - Roger.
20/20 is "wham bang and thank you ma'm."
"Proper" cricket is long drawn out satisfaction with an element of intellectual interest and more foreplay.
 20/20 cricket - sherlock47
"Proper" cricket is long drawn out satisfaction with an element of intellectual interest and more foreplay.

So no guessing which newspapers the 2 camps read then?
[sigh] It is possible to watch and enjoy both you know.
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 19 Sep 12 at 10:27
 20/20 cricket - Zero
not in pmh world its not.
 20/20 cricket - sherlock47
In pmh world it IS possible to watch and enjoy both. However it is 'not cricket' as I know(knew) it!

I buy & read the broadsheets, but when in the correct enviroment sneak a look at the Sun (pictures!:)
Last edited by: pmh on Wed 19 Sep 12 at 11:21
 20/20 cricket - madf
>> 20/20 is "wham bang and thank you ma'm."
>> "Proper" cricket is long drawn out satisfaction with an element of intellectual interest and more
>> foreplay.
>>
>>

I don't call a draw "satisfaction".. More an expression of repression and frustration.... As for describing Test cricket having "foreplay"... I know many cricketers are banksters but "mutual sexual stimulation preceding sexual intercourse" is the definition of foreplay and most Members appear fast asleep.
Last edited by: madf on Wed 19 Sep 12 at 13:08
 20/20 cricket - PhilW
"mutual sexual stimulation preceding sexual intercourse" is the definition of foreplay

So how do you define "Car4play" ?
 20/20 cricket - WillDeBeest
A draw can be very satisfying - remember how Australia celebrated holding on for a rain-affected draw at Old Trafford in 2005 as if they'd won the series? That was the first real sign they felt they might be beaten. Draws give number 11 batsmen - as I was for the first half of my playing career - the most responsible job in the team. And the possibility of a draw means the bowlers have to work hard for wickets, not just trundle in and wait for the batsmen to swing and miss.
 20/20 cricket - Roger.
>> "mutual sexual stimulation preceding sexual intercourse" is the definition of foreplay
>>
>> So how do you define "Car4play" ?

Self gratification?
 20/20 cricket - Zero
No idea, but I was in a cafe wifi spot yesterday, and the router blocked Car4play!

20/20 cricket - PhilW
"the router blocked Car4play"
My lovely wife almost blocked it some time ago when she saw which website I had been on " "What's all this "foreplay" site stuff you've been on" she said.
Took a bit of explaining, especially since ads for dating sites and M&S underwear ads also kept cropping up (Nothing to do with my browsing history, I hasten to add)
Come to think of it, if the dating ads were nothing to do with me, which sites had she been browsing.........Hmmmmmm. Bunch of flowers tomorrow for her I think
 20/20 cricket - Bromptonaut
>> No idea, but I was in a cafe wifi spot yesterday, and the router blocked
>> Car4play!
>>
>>

It was partially blocked on the bedside terminals while I was in hospital. The net nanny seemed to have a general issue with forums and a more specific one with certain threads. I could just about understand the one on Ian Brady being marked offensive but memorial comments on Eric Sykes??
 20/20 cricket - R.P.
Afghan Cricket Team - who'd have ever thought it !?
 20/20 cricket - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Afghan Cricket Team - who'd have ever thought it !?
>>
Fair dos to them.
Only by including 'minor' nations can a sport grow.
And Afghanistan qualified over other teams (who have been there before, like Kenya, the Dutch, Scotland) to get to the finals.

Remember when Italy were no-hopers at rugby?

However, that said, i doubt they'd be able to get a home series any time soon.
Although I posted something about some sweet little Afghan girls playing cricket, I hadn't registered that there was a real Afghan national team good enough to mix it - albeit in a pyjama-clad tournament of truncated cricket - with say England.

It was a bit of a massacre in the event but I hope the England team were encouraging over tea in the pavilion, or the knees-up in a pole dancing club or whatever.

Chapeau, I hope they said in some mutually comprehensible tongue.
 20/20 cricket - Roger.
How could the umpire give an LBW if the women were wearing full concealment chador fig?
How could one tell if they were female?
>> How could the umpire give an LBW if the women were wearing full concealment chador fig?
>> How could one tell if they were female?

Sort of baggy jump suits with trousers. They were female all right, you could see their faces.

But as I said, they weren't playing, just practising in the clip I saw. No pads, and the orange jump suits were brand new looking. But I hope they play off camera and weren't just there for spin.

Why don't you hope so too Roger you appalling old curmudgeon? It's English culture FFS.
Latest Forum Posts