Non-motoring > Cheap long distance calls Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 6

Cheap long distance calls - No FM2R

I spend a great dela of money on long distance calls. Whilst Skype, Viber, Whatsapp and all the others have their place, they all are less than ideal for a numerb of reasons;

Need Wifi
Use data
Need something installed or logged on at the other end
Maybe need WiFi at the other end
Hassle to use

Well I've just started to use localphone ( www.localphone.com ).

Dead easy to use. Essentially it assigns a local number in whichever city you're in for you to dial instead of their international number. And you can have different numbers from different cities.

So for example I have a local number assigned to my mother's UK cell phone in Santiago, Rio and Caracas. When I go to call my mother it is exactly the same as making a normal phone call at both ends, I simply select the number for the city I'm in.

No PIN, special numbers, complex log ins or whatever. Obviously its using VOIP inbetween the call I make and the call made to my mother, but the beauty for me is that its no different to a normal call. And that's important so that my mother can use it.

It costs me less than 1p per minute to a UK number from Chile plus whatever my local call cost me.

It will also cope with SMS allowing me to send an SMS to the UK for about 4p (plus 4p for a local SMS) as opposed to 75p made direct. SMS coverage is not complete insofar as sending from country is concerned, but its not bad.

Or you can send the SMS from your computer, not pay the local SMS charge, but it will still show on the destination as coming from your cell phone in case they wish to reply.

I think its great. Any of you spending international calling money should have a look. I realise there are other services, and I've used some of them. But I find this one the best and the easiest.

There is no advantage unless you make international calls/texts.

I have no connection with the company other than a happy user.
 Cheap long distance calls - Zero
so does it work, say, if I use my home mobile abroad (ie roaming), to phone back home?
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 19 Sep 12 at 07:50
 Cheap long distance calls - Stuartli
Slightly off topic, but similar basis is that my TalkTalk AnyTime International3 broadband and phone package gives me free UK phone calls 24/7 (apart from premium and 0870 numbers as it's a six year old package now), plus free AnyTime international calls to 36 different countries, including those in Europe, NZ, Australia, the States and Canada (the latter two also have free mobile calls).

Cost per month is £25 and a few pence, which includes line rental; sadly TT no longer offers this except under the guise of module building packages.
Yes.

And if you want to sign up, then if I send you an invite I get some bonus or other. However, you can equally sign upby simply going to the website.

Also, when you do sign up, before you hand over any money or other commitment, you get a free 5 minute phone call to try it.
 Cheap long distance calls - John H
>> I realise there are other services, and I've used some of them. But I find this one the best and the easiest. >>

Did that comparison include www.rebtel.com/ ?

I ask as I was thinking of trying them just last week.

It did include Rebtel.

Two things swung it;

the response to several queries from the Localphone people was very quick, very polite annd very helpful.

my need is not simply UK -> another country. I need in between many different countries including to the UK. It seemed more obvious to me that Localphone was geared up for that.

Most of them seem to be focussed upon UK outward.

Also the ability to send cheap SMS is important to me. Again it was obvious that Localphoen supported that.

EDIT: Checking right now, REBTEL only allows international SMS from the US.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 19 Sep 12 at 14:28
 Cheap long distance calls - John H
>> It did include Rebtel.
>>
>> Two things swung it;
>>

Thank you.

Latest Forum Posts