Non-motoring > Telephone recorders Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 6

Telephone recorders - Ambo
Can anyone recommend a recording machine that records to a computer hard disk please? I want one to defend myself against those organisations that record my calls then swear I didn't say what I did. Hence, it should be capable of being switched on just for those calls. I believe it is illegal to use these without warning so it should have a built-in warning message, or enable me to record one for it.
 Telephone recorders - Iffy
I have a little box which is effectively an in-line mic and speaker socket.

It will only work with a telephone with a corded handset because it plugs into where the cord plugs into the telephone, and the corded handset plugs into it.

You could run a lead from this to your computer's mic socket, and use a recording utility which is probably already there - the Eee PC has such a programme.

For the rare occasions I record a call, I use an Olympus digital dictaphone.

Had the little box for years and can't remember where I bought it.

Maplins might be worth a try.

Telephone recorders - CGNorwich
It is not illegal to record a message on a private telephone without a warning. It is only illegal (a breach of license) to pass that recording to a third party without the agreement of the person you were speaking to.
 Telephone recorders - Stuartli
See:

www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/oftel/consumer/advice/faqs/prvfaq3.htm
 Telephone recorders - car4play
The one we have which (when it works) is brilliant is Parliant Phonevalet. It is software plus a USB box that attaches to the phone line and uses Caller ID linked to your address book to announce who is calling. Yes, there is a voice announcement that so and so is calling!
It then can either answer for you or you just take the call. It can record or calls or work just like an answer machine. They even give a web interface to the call log and messages from where you can playback calls and so on. You can even set it to email you the message file.

The only issue I have with it is that the USB box seems to have a fault on it where it just goes to sleep with the USB and then never wakes up. Apart from that the software and functionality is nothing short of superb for the price.
 Telephone recorders - movilogo
Many modern smart phones has this feature as built in.

I'm not sure whether one can request copies of recorded data from the companies. As per data protection act, they are bound to supply you all info stored about you.
 Telephone recorders - Ambo
All of the above noted with thanks.
Latest Forum Posts