Non-motoring > Shed roof advice please. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 20

Shed roof advice please. - Old Navy
No not the car, the poor quality original shed felt decided to take up residence in a corner of the garden during the night. It did well to last about eight years but I would like to replace it with a better quality roof covering, either felt or some other roofing material. It is a standard 8X6 pitched roof shed. Any legal advice appreciated.
 Shed roof advice please. - MD
Fibreglass on OSB3 boarding preferably 18mm if the rest of the shed can take the weight of the board.
 Shed roof advice please. - Zero
>> Fibreglass on OSB3 boarding preferably 18mm if the rest of the shed can take the
>> weight of the board.

For a shed? Blimey expensive.

Two 5 quid rolls of felt and some nails every 8 years will do me.
 Shed roof advice please. - Pat
I don't know where you get it from at that price.

I bought two rolls at the weekend for our shed

B&Q Value Shed Felt £22.98 per roll

Pat
 Shed roof advice please. - madf
>> I don't know where you get it from at that price.
>>
>> I bought two rolls at the weekend for our shed
>>
>> B&Q Value Shed Felt £22.98 per roll
>>
>> Pat
>>
>>

Or Wickes...
 Shed roof advice please. - Fenlander
For an 8x6 garden shed replace with one of the better quality green felts and it's sorted for another 10-15yrs.

I've just rebuilt an 8x6 shed and used this...

www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&langId=110&catalogId=1500001201&productId=257014&rel_cmp=018020
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 25 Sep 12 at 11:25
 Shed roof advice please. - devonite
knock a couple of sheets of "Wriggly Tin" on it! - last the shed out, then your later post could be, "What sort of Shed Body would go with my 8x6 Tin roof?"
 Shed roof advice please. - Cliff Pope
I've got several sheds composed of little else but corrugated iron. The wooden posts have rotted into the ground, but the shed stays up supported on the metal alone.

You can get super-dooper felt at twice the price of ordinary, which does last longer.
But the secret is not in the grade of felt but the security of the wooden battens holding it down.
Don't rely on the roofing nails - you need sturdy rot-proofed wooden battens every two feet, running top to bottom, and the lower edge of the felt should turn under the eaves and be similarly secured with wood.
Shed roofs go when the wind gets under the edge of the felt and rips it off.
 Shed roof advice please. - Fullchat
This is the stuff bitumen corrugated green or black, did mine last year:

search.wickes.co.uk/search#ts=ajax&method=and&w=roofing%20sheets&isort=score
Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 25 Sep 12 at 19:41
 Shed roof advice please. - Dulwich Estate
Or metal roofing sheets at a similar price:

Choose your colour and style.

www.steelroofsheets.co.uk/products.php?cat=36
 Shed roof advice please. - Dog
I likes them.
 Shed roof advice please. - VxFan
>> This is the stuff bitumen corrugated green or black, did mine last year:

"Your search results: We found 15524 products for '*'"
Okay, okay :)

Try this:

www.wickes.co.uk/invt/240039

You will need the ridge pieces: www.wickes.co.uk/invt/240058 and the fixing nails.

Shed roof advice please. - Zero
>> Okay, okay :)
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> www.wickes.co.uk/invt/240039
>>
>> You will need the ridge pieces: www.wickes.co.uk/invt/240058 and the fixing nails.

Service Unavailable

The service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Not your day is it.
Feeling like a 'pleb' :Q
 Shed roof advice please. - VxFan
>> Try this:
>>

That's what I thought it was, but wanted to make sure before replying.

That's similar or the same as we've got on 2 of our shed roofs. Been on there 10+ years now, and still as flexible as the day it was fitted, and more importantly leak tight - touches wood.
 Shed roof advice please. - sherlock47
>> >> Try this:
>> >>
>> >> www.wickes.co.uk/invt/240039
>>
More expensive than traditional felt, but much easier to fit, lasts longer and makes for an easier finishing on the edges/lips. If you are lazy you do even have to any cutting!

My only concern is that if the wooden roofing is in poor condition is that you need to put up internal battening to get a good fixing. (Screws rather than nails). If you are using screws make sure that the plastic fixing caps fit the screwheads.
Last edited by: pmh on Wed 26 Sep 12 at 12:04
 Shed roof advice please. - crocks
>> Try this:

I used the green version of that on my new garage roof about ten years ago and it is still in perfect condition.

You can get translucent sheets in the same profile and so I used that for the middle third of the roof making it very light inside.

Only downside is you can't walk on the roof without damaging it unless you use something to spread the load.
 Shed roof advice please. - L'escargot
>> You can get super-dooper felt at twice the price of ordinary, which does last longer.

Is the sooper-dooper felt thicker and therefore less flexible?
 Shed roof advice please. - Cliff Pope
I think it has more fibre in it, so is more resistant to ripping, and perhaps more grit on the surface, so resists UV breakdown of bitumin better.
 Shed roof advice please. - Bigtee
Network rail left a roll out and it's on my shed roof nice thick stuff used for safe walking routes over tracks. :-)

You could get adventurous and slate the roof with old slates and nail them on with copper nails & fit ridge tiles.
Last edited by: Bigtee on Wed 26 Sep 12 at 20:05
Latest Forum Posts