Non-motoring > Olympus and former executives plead guilty Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 25

Olympus and former executives plead guilty - smokie
An honourable man in business, how refreshing...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19709609

I have to say I'm surprised how they managed to pull the wool for quite so long,...
 Olympus and former executives plead guilty - No FM2R
Is that "honourable" spelled "caught" ?
 Olympus and former executives plead guilty - Zero
>> An honourable man in business, how refreshing...
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19709609
>>
>> I have to say I'm surprised how they managed to pull the wool for quite
>> so long,...

The japanese are only honourable in business when they get caught. They survived as long as they did by sacking, then besmirching and then trying to get the the guy who tried to blow the whistle arrested.
 Olympus and former executives plead guilty - Alanovich

>> HUMAN BEINGS are only honourable SOMETIMES in business when they get caught. They survived as long
>> as they did by sacking, then besmirching and then trying to get the the guy
>> who tried to blow the whistle arrested.
>>

There you go.
>>
>> >> HUMAN BEINGS are only honourable SOMETIMES in business when they get caught. They survived
>> as long
>> >> as they did by sacking, then besmirching and then trying to get the the
>> guy
>> >> who tried to blow the whistle arrested.
>> >>
>>
>> There you go.

Not, not really, Western businessmen make no pretence of pretending to be honourable, merely businessmen.
Generalisations Я Us.
>> Generalisations R Us.

Two things about generalisations; they're generally true. They're not always true.

The style and behaviour of business in Japan is quite different to the UK. As it is in Brazil, the US, Korea and, for all I know, Bognor.

Certainly pride and an approach to honourability are quite distinctly different in Japan and certainly cause different behaviour in such situations.

Pretty much for anyone in my line an appreciation of those differences, and an ability to work with them, is essential.

Why should that be offensive?

Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 25 Sep 12 at 13:48

>> Why should that be offensive?

Who said anything about being offended?
I inferred that as an implication from your usage of the phrase "Generalisations R Us".

What did you mean then?
Well, I wasn't being offended, I was merely pointing out the generalisation. OK?
>> Generalisations Я Us.

Not at all, based on experience of doing business with Japanese companies, and running a Sarbanes Oxley project in a large Japanese engineering company. SOX contained concepts that were alien to Japanese corporate culture,

Now whats your corporate Japanese experience?
>> Now whats your corporate Japanese experience?
>>

5 years supplying clinical trial software to Japan through the Japanese arm of a previous company I worked for, and currently, well, see my reply to another poster below.

See, sometimes you need to check with whom you're speaking to before you imply they don't know what they're talking about.
I know its pedantic, and I know it doesn't matter, but its a bug bear of mine..............

>>with whom you're speaking to

Speaking is not "with" its "to". When using "whom" it should simply be "speaking", not "speaking to".

Sorry, my degree's in Russian. It's been a while since I did my O Level English, but I thank you for your kind assistance.

My bug bear is being accused of being offended when I'm not and being accused of not knowing what I'm talking about when I do. But I'd never tell you that.

:-)

(P.S. you do know that people tend to write in haste on internets, don't you?)
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 25 Sep 12 at 14:50
>>(P.S. you do know that people tend to write in haste on internets, don't you?)

Say it ain't so!!!

This is startling. Its only the other day that I found out there were rants.
As I said you should have recognised the vast difference japanese in corporate culture, indeed even Japanese government attitudes to westerners whistle blowing.

I know to whom I am talking to, I am talking to the bloke who thinks its his job to ridicule other peoples beliefs.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 25 Sep 12 at 14:51
 Olympus and former executives plead guilty - John H
>> There you go.
>>

and there you go, too.

Would you care to enlighten us in which ethical honourable business sector you think you work or earn your living?

p.s. I now try to avoid discussions with you (ever since you posted "facts" about Royal security spending).

Last edited by: John H on Tue 25 Sep 12 at 14:28
>> Would you care to enlighten us in which ethical honourable business sector you think you
>> work or earn your living?

I work for a Japanese IT hardware and services company. Thanks for asking.

>> p.s. I now try to avoid discussions with you (ever since you posted "facts" about
>> Royal security spending).

Please yourself. No loss to me.
>> >> Would you care to enlighten us in which ethical honourable business sector you think
>> you
>> >> work or earn your living?
>>
>> I work for a Japanese IT hardware and services company. Thanks for asking.

Then you should have recognised some of the differences I first eluded to, makes me wonder why you tried to argue.
>>s I first eluded to

ZERO !!!!

"ELUDED"??

You of all people?

Good God.
 Olympus and former executives plead guilty - Manatee
>> ZERO !!!!
>>
>> "ELUDED"??
>>
>> You of all people?
>>
>> Good God.

Either he did it on porpoise (most likely)...

...or the eye-phone corrected it for him ;-)
Fat fingers - small keyboard and autocorrect on eye phone.
>>I have to say I'm surprised how they managed to pull the wool for quite so long,...

Only difficult if someone wants to find you out. Otherwise its pretty easy to get answers accepted and questions avoided.

In the UK, by and large, Auditors would like to catch you. It makes them significantly more determined. Add that to a deep wish not to catch any of the blame, and cover-ups are much more difficult.

Olympus and former executives plead guilty - Armel Coussine
Tycoons are robbers. Company executives are usually sociopathic in their behaviour. If they stay within the generally accepted rules, they can pass as 'honourable' unless a skeleton falls out of a cupboard. Business isn't about providing services for reasonable fees. It's about appropriation.

This is a disappointing thread. No accusations of bad faith, manipulative use of words, pretentiousness or smarminess or snideness. Just a bit of carping about Zero's iffy spelling.

It's dishonourable as well as boring.
Remembering days of relevance passed, I see.

Olympus and former executives plead guilty - DP
I can only imagine what a Westerner would go through trying to expose a Japanese board in a Japanese company. All the Asian business cultures are clicky when it comes to the crunch. If you're not the same nationality, you will never be "in the club", and ultimately your word will never be as good as that of a native colleague, even if you are right, and they probably know you are right. It's all about face, something which carries a tremendous amount of value in East Asian cultures.

6 years in a middle management role in a major Japanese corporation, in case anyone asks :-D
Latest Forum Posts