Non-motoring > Get rid of them Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BiggerBadderDave Replies: 46

Get rid of them - BiggerBadderDave
Feltz every morning with Cox and Ball covering them today. Dreadful.

I certainly can't handle Cox and Ball one after the other and I had to turn over.

I wouldn't mind turning on Jo Whiley though. Hot stuff.
 Get rid of them - L'escargot
>>........... Cox and Ball ...........

Don't be rude!
;-)
 Get rid of them - Dog
I think he's refuring to your pube shaving episode L'es.

:}
 Get rid of them - Harleyman
I've long since abandoned Radio 2 apart from the occasional nostagic foray to Ken Bruce's show, and even rarer a listen to Bob Harris country on Thursdays if I remember.

The rot started even before Wogan retired and we had Evans forced on us; for all that Jimmy Young had become reactionary and out of touch, especially with the music, his replacement Jeremy Vine flattered at first only to deceive later.

The only presenters worth a listen today are Ken Bruce and Alex Lester; even then I confess the latter is an acquired taste but he is at least 100% a radio man and a thorough professional. The rest of 'em; Evans, Wright, Ball even Mayo though he's the most acceptable of a bad lot, are Radio One castoffs who shoud have gone to commercial radio where there irritating yappiness and ability to talk carp would be better suited.

It's usually countered by the Beeb quoting RAJAR figures or some other meaningless statistic which "prove" that listening figures are up. I can only think that somwhere in the country is a massive warehouse full of transistor radios permanently tuned to Radio 2, yet with no-one listening.

Another case of the faceless ones dictating what is best for the people who are paying for it.
 Get rid of them - Bromptonaut
Prefer a news station in the morning.

Sunday afternoon is better with Sounds of the Seventies and Desmond Carrington's Friday eve programme turns up some real gems in the folk or 'old time' genres.

And of course there's the love him or hate him Tony Blackburn PotP on Saturday - compulsive listening for The Lad as well as me.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 26 Sep 12 at 09:13
 Get rid of them - Zero
>
>> It's usually countered by the Beeb quoting RAJAR figures or some other meaningless statistic which
>> "prove" that listening figures are up. I can only think that somwhere in the country
>> is a massive warehouse full of transistor radios permanently tuned to Radio 2, yet with
>> no-one listening.

Or it could be a miserable git getting cranky in his old age?
 Get rid of them - R.P.
Started listening to Chris Evans - too yappy by far with his irritating cheeriness. Back to John Humphreys and his colleagues in the morning now for when I commute by car
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 26 Sep 12 at 09:22
 Get rid of them - Zero
Absolute radio for me, pick 70's 80s or 90s version.
 Get rid of them - R.P.
Misread that as Obsolete radio ! I can get that in the house not the car....Today addict in the mornings.

>>
>> Or it could be a miserable git getting cranky in his old age?
>>

I'll concede a slight bit of that; some years ago when I was on national long-distance work, SAGA radio had just started up in the West Midlands, and like a fair few others I enjoyed it, apart from the mobility aids adverts of course.

But no; I like my radio presenters to talk TO me (as Wogan and Bruce do so well) not AT me like the new lot.
 Get rid of them - Robin O'Reliant
Ken Bruce is the best thing on the radio, his ironic self-effacing sense of humour is far superior to the look how clever I am patter of most of the rest. Johnnie Walker is the king for me though, Drive Time went down the pan after he left. The one thing both thost have in common is a genuine love of the music and they don't spoil it by talking over the records - unlike that "Loathe the show, Steve" dinosaur every afternoon. I still haven't forgiven him for stopping Led Zep's Immigrant Song half way through for a phone interview with Ant & Dec.
 Get rid of them - Mike Hannon
Another vote here for Desmond Carrington (as long as he lives) and his cat.
I've been listening to Friday Night is Music Night on and off for 45 years but I can only stomach Ken Bruce at the microphone these days.
Nice to hear from you, BBD...
>> Another vote here for Desmond Carrington (as long as he lives)
>>
Des Carrington has cost me a fortune on itunes. He does dredge up some gems.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Wed 26 Sep 12 at 11:59
 Get rid of them - Alanovich
Bring back Mark and Lard. In the meantime Radcliffe and Maconie is a reasonable substitute, although wrong time of day.

I listen to 6 Music (Sean Keaveny, very under-rated), 5 Live or R4 in the mornings in the car, depending on my mood.
 Get rid of them - BiggerBadderDave
"I can only stomach Ken Bruce"

I keep this show on just for the Pop Quiz, which I enjoy. But those who really me make cringe are the contestants who find the need to "say hello" to a long list of friends and colleagues and "anyone else who knows me". I can sense the irritation in Bruce's voice.

Hi Mike. We spent a few weeks away over summer... It would take me hours to explain why on the Motoring Discussion board - but it started in November and it's still going on. I'll start a thread when I've a few spare hours/days.
 Get rid of them - Roger.
Hmm - I NEVER listen to the radio, especially in the car.
 Get rid of them - Duncan
>> Hmm - I NEVER listen to the radio, especially in the car.

If you NEVER do something, how can you especially NEVER do it?
 Get rid of them - Armel Coussine
I listen to Radio 4 sometimes, always in the car. News, sometimes documentaries, sometimes funny stuff (some of that can be very amusing). It gets turned off when the Archers comes on. Surrey and Sussex traffic news sometimes rudely interrupts. There are two frequencies that work, usually one better than the other, and the radio doesn't always switch automatically. The CD player doesn't seem to work any more on most CDs, and the tape heads are pretty filthy I reckon. Heigh-ho.
 Get rid of them - Roger.
>> >> Hmm - I NEVER listen to the radio, especially in the car.
>>
>>
>> If you NEVER do something, how can you especially NEVER do it?
>>

Oops - out-pedanted :-)
 Get rid of them - zookeeper
i used to listen to mike graham on talksport in the night but it went sport 24/7...so now i endure LCB ... a bit londony but tolerable in the night
 Get rid of them - zookeeper
LBC
 Get rid of them - -
Feltz is the final nail in the BBC PC coffin for me, between her name dropping and the constant repeating of herself i can no longer stand it, and don't get me started on Evans and Vine, the swear filter will blow a fuse.

No doubt they had to find an antidote for Sarah Kennedy, who's oustspoken non PC middle class English attitude was bound to end up with her getting hoofed out, damned shame, the girl was entertaining.

I now tune into various local independent stations and try to switch stations when the slightly less boring than Feltz adverts come on, always turn the wireless off when propaganda gets transmitted on the hour.
 Get rid of them - Zero
I can - not - abide - famesa - fatz. An ignorant self obsessed person with the personality of a cow pat and the brains of a heffer
 Get rid of them - No FM2R
>>the personality of a cow pat and the brains of a heffer

Not even close. That would be an improvement on the reality.
 Get rid of them - mikeyb
Don't mind a bit of Mr Evans in the morning, although quite often listen to Jack FM - a regional franchise I believe. The guy who does the breakfast show lives just up the road from me so our local town often gets good press :-)

Much depends on my morning mood - sometimes its just a CD with no interruptions
 Get rid of them - Runfer D'Hills
At least we no longer have to listen to Sarah Kennedy going on about her sodding cats. Feltz is only mildly preferable though. Can't really say why but it's her voice rather than what she says which irritates me. Mind you, I'm fairly easily irritated now the mornings are getting darker again. Don't mind Evans but he's not in the same league as Wogan or Walker. I used to almost cry laughing at the Janet and John stories. Ken bruce is ok but I'm rubbish at Pop Master.

John Humphries gets a listen if I know I won't have time for a newspaper.

Said once before, you know you've had a long day if you catch the Alex Lester show twice in the same working day...
 Get rid of them - RattleandSmoke
I just listen to XFM (indie) and Real XS (rock) I cannot be bothered with anything else, too much risk of my ears exploding if they play any chart music. Occasionally do flip over to Radio 2 but most of the music on that is a bit soft for my tastes (Steve Wright is generally ok though) and occasionally enjoy bits of the Folk show on a Wednesday evening.

As for Radio 1 I have always thought it was a load of crap during the day, plays nothing but god awful chart music and has presenters with an over inflated ego.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 26 Sep 12 at 20:37
 Get rid of them - Dave_
Agree with all of what Humph just said about Kennedy, Feltz, Wogan and Popmaster. Never caught two Alex Lester shows in one day, but I often hear a whole one from the 2am start.

Ironically, Chris Moyles became more listenable over his final 6 months on R1 - I found myself choosing him over Evans more and more often this summer. Not sure about this Grimshaw fellow yet, he talks like my daughters innit. I'm not exactly in his target audience anyway so I don't suppose I'm meant to "get it".
 Get rid of them - R.P.
It's the stand ins on R2 I dislike - embarrassingly, cringeworthy Richard Madeley, and Chris Tarrant - constantly putting his foot in it and having to apologise after the music.
 Get rid of them - -
Just shows how different we all are, I enjoy listening again when Madeley takes over...i keep hoping he gets the slot when Evans clears off as soon as possible please.

All of them pale compared to dear old Ray Moore though, with his bog eyed jog and sometimes lapsing into his own rendition of 'my father had a rabbit'...really happy days when the roads were quiet in the small hours and no or doctored speed limiters...drivers of LEC's had to keep their elbows in back then...;)
Interesting; I would, I think be forgiven for assuming that many of the regular posters on this forum (with the honourable exception of Rattle) would be of an age and mindset which would make them highly likely Radio 2 devotees, or at least occasional listeners.

Yet it would seem that few of us have a good word for the mainstream content of that station; and many of us hark back to what can now be considered a lost golden era in its history.

I've come across this on the R2OK website, which I used to follow though since I rarely listen nowadays I haven't visited for a while. One is forced to wonder how much of the station is actually controlled by Chris Evans and the other influential "big names".
Last edited by: Harleyman on Wed 26 Sep 12 at 22:20
 Get rid of them - R.P.
Well iffy likes Tony Blackburn. Stopped listening to R2 eventually, when Evans finally got on my wick once too often.
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 26 Sep 12 at 22:30
 Get rid of them - Focusless
Mrs F didn't used to like Evans at all, then starting commuting to Oxford 3 days a week and listening to his show. She's now a fan; likes his music selection in particular I believe.
>> It's the stand ins on R2 I dislike - embarrassingly, cringeworthy Richard Madeley, and Chris
>> Tarrant - constantly putting his foot in it and having to apologise after the music.
>>
Now I really like Tarrant, the afternoon's are much improved when he stands in for Wrighty. Even better when Radcliff used to, and Stuart Maconie would be my choice for Drive Time. I don't know if the latter two have been forced out of R2 or they just preferred Six Music or where ever they've ended up.

All time favourite though had to be Kenny Everett.
 Get rid of them - Zero
Steve Wright in the afternoon, I would love to stuff his factoids down his throat till he chokes.
>> Steve Wright in the afternoon, I would love to stuff his factoids down his throat
>> till he chokes.
>>
Fancy a whip round to buy The Old Woman a one way ticket to Dignitas?
 Get rid of them - Zero
that'll do for me as well.

>> All time favourite though had to be Kenny Everett.
>>

Agreed. Often overlooked is the fact that Kenny was a truly innovative pioneer in the technological sense as well as an outstandingly good presenter and a genuinely funny man.
 Get rid of them - Ted

Am I the only one here who doesn't listen to any of the channels mentioned here ?

As soon as the ignition is on Classic FM comes on and stays on all day. I might turn it off for a few minutes if Ravel's crappy repetitive Bolero comes on......then I pop a CD in.

SWM will listen to Radio 4 or what was Radio 7......possibly 4+ now ?

Ted
 Get rid of them - Bromptonaut
I like Classic FM as well Ted.

Radios in both our cars have 3 banks of 5 * VHF/FM stations and one of AM. Both are set up so presses of the band button toggle successively through R4FM, R2, Classic FM then 5Live. Can hit band button in either car without taking my eyes off road and cover 99% of listening needs.

Local stations, Gold and R3 can be accessed as pre-sets if need be.
 Get rid of them - Zero
I loved the part of his radio show where he spliced bits of cassette tape found on the side of the road together and then played them.
>> I loved the part of his radio show where he spliced bits of cassette tape
>> found on the side of the road together and then played them.
>>

In a moment of nostalgia, I have just listened to Kenny as the guest on Desert Island Discs, with Sue Lawley. It was recorded after he was diagnosed with AIDS, and not long before he died. Very moving, well worth a listen and quite surprising too.
 Get rid of them - BobbyG
I remember Ken Bruce when he used to be on Radio Scotland. He then moved to Radio 2 and gradually morphed into Terry Wogan.
On the very rare occasions that I happen to hear him I really struggle to tell the difference between the two. Ok the accents are slightly different but. If mannerisms, the intakes of breath etc are identical
 Get rid of them - Pat
I love Tarrant RR, his humour and choice of music bordering towards the heavy side, makes for a good show.

Pat
 Get rid of them - L'escargot
>> I've long since abandoned Radio 2 .............

On the dial of our lead-acid accumulator powered wireless set it calls it Light Programme.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 27 Sep 12 at 06:55
 Get rid of them - Meldrew
A few clicks away from Hilversum!
 Get rid of them - Dog
6am - 8am Radio 4

8am - 10am silence!

10am - mid day Radio 5 Dead

12 - 1pm Radio 4

1pm - 3pm Radio Cornwall

3pm - 4pm silence!

4pm - 5pm Radio 5 Dead

5pm - 6pm Radio 4

6pm - 7pm BBC World Service

The only musak station I listen to is Planet Rock, but it's got to be blues or 60's, or I'll switch it orf.

Latest Forum Posts