Non-motoring > Farewell BT... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 8

Farewell BT... - Fursty Ferret
If you're with BT, keep an eye out for an email or letter advising of a price increase. If you're within the contract term you can use this to cancel phone and broadband early with no termination charge.

I was 3 months into a phone + broadband contract and cancelled today to head over to Be. Monthly price has gone from £39 to £17, with the added bonus that BT paid the £130 new line charge when I moved in.
 Farewell BT... - John H
I thought they were careful to state that new prices do not apply to existing 12 or 18 months locked-in contracts. Price changes that apply to your particular contract are usually shown on your online account management page.

Look up their "early termination charges for people who leave before the end of their contract"
Last edited by: John H on Thu 27 Sep 12 at 14:24
Nope, price increases from January for everyone so they can't apply an early termination charge.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Thu 27 Sep 12 at 15:31
 Farewell BT... - Dog
Err, I'm with Plusnet (BT) who have advised me of the quid increase from the 28th of October.

I pay my line rental yearly in advance so it wont affect me.

But, being as it's only the line rental being increased, how does that mean y'all can get out of a bb con-tract?
I argued that since the broadband could not work without the line rental, I should be entitled to cancel both. They agreed with me.
 Farewell BT... - Dog
Top Man!
 Farewell BT... - L'escargot
>> I argued ............

Par for the course! I'd have reasoned.
;-)
 Farewell BT... - VxFan
>> keep an eye out for an email

www.bt.com/static/wa/account/callchanges.html

Last year we froze monthly line rental and call prices to make sure the cost of staying in touch wouldn't change until 2013. On 5th January 2013 we're changing the prices of some of our products and services. Line rental will go up by 85p a month and call rates will also go up. More than half of our prices won't go up at all – including calling UK mobiles from your home phone. We didn't change these prices last year and they're staying put this time too. So calling a UK mobile on our standard rate is still a lot cheaper with us than with Sky and Virgin. None of our phone or broadband prices will go up by more than 5.9 per cent.

We can also promise you that your monthly line rental, calls to UK landlines, BT Infinity, BT Broadband and our Unlimited Anytime Plan will not change again until 2014 at the earliest.
 Farewell BT... - Fenlander
We are with BT on an unlimited broadband/anytime phone/vision box essentials contract... 12mths into an 18mth agreement. Apparently we will get the price rise but have 10days from being notified to cancel without penalty** (the penalty otherwise being almost £100 to cancel now).

If we'd been with them less than 12mths we would have needed to return the wi-fi router and vision box as new and in original boxes or be charged for them.

Our BT service has been fast and reliable but it does seem expensive at almost £50/mth.

**From BT website... "if you contact us directly within 10 calendar days of receiving our price change notification you may cease your services without penalty."
Latest Forum Posts