Non-motoring > Millbrook Proving Ground Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 21

Millbrook Proving Ground - Pat
Has anyone been?

I could use some information distances etc.

I'm due to attend next Thursday and would love to go but from the parking permit and various registration instructions I fear there will be too much walking for my bones just at the moment with this weather.

Pat
 Millbrook Proving Ground - Focusless
'Satellite' view on Google maps - you can zoom in and see where the car park is (I think):
goo.gl/maps/RlOrJ
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 27 Sep 12 at 16:52
Thanks Focus but I've already done that;) There is a shuttle bus from the car park but it's a couple of different buildings to register in and then 'all weather gear' for the afternoon!

Not sure if I can get back to the car park during the day if it's a tad too far.

Pat
 Millbrook Proving Ground - Meldrew
Hi Pat

why not ring them and get the gen?

Millbrook Proving Ground Ltd.
Millbrook
Bedford
MK45 2JQ

email: info@millbrook.co.uk

switchboard: +44 (0) 1525 404242
enquiries: +44 (0) 1525 408408
fax: +44 (0) 1525 403420
Or you can 'request a callback' on their website:
millbrookevents.co.uk/visiting-millbrook/directions/
Thanks Meldrew, why ever didn't I think of that?

Probably because I don't like admitting it may be a struggle!

I do so want to go but I can't take anyone with me to help at all.

I'll ring them tomorrow morning.

Pat

Millbrook Proving Ground - bathtub tom
I went many years ago and don't recall anything arduous.

What sort of event are you attending?

When I was there it was made obvious that cameras of any sort were strictly forbidden and anyone found takings photos would be chucked out after being shot!

The fattest, wild rabbits I've ever seen wallow around the place.
Commercial Motor Live and I'm booked on some of the seminars plus the driving in the afternoon so it's a a dash between one and another.
Just checked a couple of hotels in the area but all are fully booked.

It was sunny and warm when I booked it!

Pat
Hopefully Pat if you tell them of any 'disability' in advance they'll be able to cope; I'm sure they'll have had worse.
 Millbrook Proving Ground - Meldrew
www.pub-rooms.co.uk/pubs-in-bedfordshire-Ampthill.html
 Millbrook Proving Ground - L'escargot
>> Just checked a couple of hotels in the area but all are fully booked.

I thought that truckers just dossed down in their truck!
;-)
Never fear L'es, I have a bit of a plan:)

More in the morning!

Pat
 Millbrook Proving Ground - Runfer D'Hills
You could take a pushbike with you Pat. Careful though, you might get turned...

:-)
 Millbrook Proving Ground - Duncan
Wetherspoons hotels?

www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/hotels/find/bedford

Why is this in non-motoring? I realise it's about lorries, but that is a sort of motoring - well, after a fashion.

;-)
 Millbrook Proving Ground - Roger.
Hook up your grockle-box!
 Millbrook Proving Ground - Dave_
I know Millbrook well, I've delivered into the site a few times and once went for an assessment there with a view to getting a job as a test driver (not as glamorous as it sounds, although I did get to do 20 laps of the high-speed bowl flat out in a Cavalier Turbo 4x4!)

Although the proving ground's a big site, no-one walks anywhere in between venues - it's obviously very much a car-orientated place and you'll be able to drive (or be driven!) between the different buildings.

I also know the wider area well, it's not that far from home is it Pat? Within 15 minutes of leaving Millbrook you can be at the Black Cat roundabout.

There are a handful of expensive upmarket B&Bs in Ampthill / Ridgmont and several big chain hotels within 20 miles - although they often get booked solid for miles around if there's a big event on in MK. Your nearest decent one would be the fairly new Holiday Inn at the A6/A421 junction at Elstow. I would avoid the ancient T/Lodge at Marston Moretaine, and steer clear of anything in MK40 and 41. Also be aware that, like "London" airports, many hotels advertise themselves as "Bedford"-based when they're nothing of the sort - e.g. Garden Court Bedford is on the A1 at Sandy...

Try asking Millbrook themselves to recommend somewhere (or even ask them to make the reservation for you - their name carries a lot of clout with local businesses!)

Hth.
 Millbrook Proving Ground - bathtub tom
I'd offer Pat a bed, but I've a cat!

Millbrook Proving Ground - VxFan
>> Although the proving ground's a big site, no-one walks anywhere in between venues - it's obviously very much a car-orientated place and you'll be able to drive (or be driven!) between the different buildings.

Remember to put your lights on or you'll be shouted at.

The site is very much Health & Safety orientated.

When I test drove the new Astra 3 years ago, the longest walk I had was less than 5 mins.
I know it's only an hour and a bit from home Dave but I want to be there for 7.30am, and what you see on a sunny bank holiday weekend at Truckfest is vastly different to getting my bones working on a dark wet morning.
All the recommended hotels are fully booked, as well as most of those you mentioned, apart from the grotty Travelodge!

I rang them this morning and feel a lot happier about it now as I can get back to the car at anytime if I want to come home and there are few stairs between buildings and exhibitions.

I got the details last week and after reading them filed them on my desk with a downhearted shrug and the feeling that I wouldn't be able to manage it.
Ian saw how disappointed I was but couldn't get a day off and gave me a good talking to instead!
Something along the lines of 'It's not about what you can't do, it's about what you can do if it's manged properly'

Hence being late booking accommodation but I have managed to get into Days Inn at Newport Pagnell services. It certainly wouldn't have been my first choice but I have also manged to book a smoking room:) 3am, coffee, fag and paracetomol....who could ask for more?

Of course, I shall be at home sleeping on the motorway services and I shall be the one on Wednesday evening wandering around the lorry park trying to do persuade a lorry driver to swap his Scania cab with my hotel room for the night!

Thanks all for the help and the kick up the bum I needed.

I hate this time of year, training is finished until January and there are long, cold dark days ahead.

Pat
>> All the recommended hotels are fully booked, apart from the grotty Travelodge!

>> I have managed to get into Days Inn at Newport Pagnell services

Well swerved. At that time of the morning the M1's flowing straight through (the roadworks don't start until j12 now) but I would still go via Moulsoe, Cranfield, Marston to the track. Much less chance of getting snarled up anywhere. Do bear in mind that some of the junction layouts have changed with the opening of the A421 dual carriageway.

goo.gl/maps/asisO

The road through Millbrook village from the A507 has about 25 BIG speed humps on it... because it's the obvious way to the track!
 Millbrook Proving Ground - -
>> The road through Millbrook village from the A507 has about 25 BIG speed humps on
>> it... because it's the obvious way to the track!
>>

Lucky you Dave, believe it or not we HAD to follow the B530 from Bedford and turn right into Millbrook Road a couple of miles before Ampthill, that way sees some really nasty narrow bends and must be terrifying for car drivers who meet transporters on the way and its miles round, any other route into the place would see us in some serious bother and Ampthill is weight limited anway...before that we always went int through Marston Moretaine which was far safer for all, presumably some NIMBY with connections lives at MM.
>> presumably some NIMBY with connections lives at MM

Wouldn't surprise me, the councillors around there are a rum bunch.

That stretch of Millbrook Road from the B530 to the track was used as a benchmark when the hastily revised suspension settings of the 1995 Vectra were being worked out.

>> must be terrifying for car drivers who meet transporters on the way

The back roads to Bruntingthorpe are just as bad now, especially in a 7.5t car transporter myself! The worst I met coming the other way on the Millbrook road in my taxi was a new TVR being driven with some considerable gusto over the railway bridge - had about half a second to widen my eyes and grip the 'wheel a little tighter...
Latest Forum Posts