Non-motoring > The holiday report Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 54

The holiday report - Stuu
Back from my annual holiday, a well needed break from day to day life. Within a few hours of arriving, sitting in a hot tub in a pine forest, in the rain,
I could feel the stress drifting away.

First the accomadation - Bulworthy Forest Lodges is a decent place but its up for sale and this is telling - the lodges, while nice, need updating and decorating as
they feel more 90's than 2012. Some contemporary furniture, redecoration and new appliances would boost the feel and price they could command. The basics are there,
its a lovely woodland setting, the lodges are big and the fabric of the buildings is in great shape, its just dated. I expect when they get a new owner, this will
likely happen. It is down a very typical blind, single track country lane which cannot be avoided though and the lane is filthy, so not for car cleaning freaks!

Barnstaple: Really, really needs a by-pass as the route through town is congested and really goes around the houses, but there is no other way to get North of Bideford.

Okehampton Castle: What English Heritage does best - tourism with a light touch at a reasonable price. An atmospheric bulding with great views from the folly,
enough information around on boards without spoiling the location and plenty of the fabric of the castle remains to get a real feel for what used to be. Easy to get to
aswell.

Clovelly: A very unique place, no doubt at all. It was raining at the top of the hill but by the time we were halfway down through the village we sat down to a gorgeous
view over the bay in incredibly warm sunshine, it felt like summer again. The quiet of the place is haunting and its well maintained. The cobbles are pretty dicey in the
rain and unless you are fit and used to walking long, steep inclines, getting back up again will challenge you. The harbour is pretty as expected with several places
to eat and a short walk along the beach to the waterfall is worth doing, though the pebble beach is hard going. The fishermans cottage is worth a look and is well set
out. The guy who was doing some work there stopped to give a quick bit of info on the age of the house and which bits were built when. Getting in is not especially
cheap but for a one-time experience it was not excessive and it really isnt somewhere you will see again. When I learned that the rents were purposely cheaper than
the market rate it seemed like a gift but actually the residents are sacrificing alot of the things you take for granted to live there, despite the beauty. It does
feel like a working village and the world would be a poorer place if it didnt exist.

Hartland Quay: A pretty bleak spot by all accounts but worth going for the Shipwreck Museum which is full of stories and some bits of ships long gone.

Boscastle: We made the trip down after Hartland for lunch because we rememebered a great lunch at Harbour Light Tea Room and hoped it hadnt lost anything since our
last visit - it hadnt. Great service from what seems every pretty girl in the village they could find, freshly cooked food that tastes brilliant, so well worth a
45 minute drive. Boscastle was pretty busy even in late September but a wander down to the harbour and to teh view out to sea was very windy but worth it for the view.

Lynmouth & Lynton: We were really looking forward to this trip as it looks lovely in the leaflets and it is just as nice in real life. Lots of great food, ice cream
from the Pasty Shop on the front is to die for and parking is not expensive for a whole day.
Lynmouth is the star attraction, Lynton being the poorer relation, though a ride on the cliff railway is well worth it for £3 return as the climb on foot would be pretty
epic, even in the car it was a 1st gear hill. In Lynmouth there is a really nice little gallery with some great pictures at reasonable prices, recommended. Its the kind
of place that just feels nice, even though its not filled with attractions, being more about the scenery.

Im glad I did North Devon, its a pretty area no doubt, but its a pain to get around as even main roads are twisty and slow with few overtaking chances if you find
a slow car, oddly nearly always an elderly couple in a Xsara Picasso! I dont feel the pull to return again though, I did 600 miles in a week just getting about, maybe half
of them going the only, long way around, so it was actually quite tiring, not the point of a holiday!

Next year we will likely return to South Devon or East Cornwall, in the knowledge that we are not missing out on too much from further North. A good break though, if you
havent been there, its worth the trip.

The holiday report - devonite
Sounds like a good Holiday to me! - why do folk bother going abroad eh!

just need you to post the slide-show now, - I`ve got Doritos and dips!
 The holiday report - Zero
>> Sounds like a good Holiday to me! - why do folk bother going abroad eh!

Oo, let me see now

SUN, Cheap Beer & wine, Good Food, broaden the mind.
 The holiday report - Meldrew
I often think that myself when I look at a lot of our scenery and then I know why when I check the weather. I am going somewhere European next month where the temp is 28C and bright sun and not much more expensive than 7 nights in a good UK B&B!
>> I often think that myself when I look at a lot of our scenery and
>> then I know why when I check the weather. I am going somewhere European next
>> month where the temp is 28C and bright sun and not much more expensive than
>> 7 nights in a good UK B&B!

wheres that Melders?
Corfu. Easyjet flights with luggage, taxi transfers and 4* half-board for £660 for two people. Greek 4* is probably our 3* but Trip Advisor rate it OK. Report when I get back if the thread is still "live". Got it thru TravelZoo and booked in February!
I'm looking for somewhere warm in Jan or Feb.
 The holiday report - CGNorwich
If you don't want long haul it has got to be the Canaries or Madeira. Just got back from a week in the Yorkshire Dales hand have had enough of rain for a while.

About to book a week in La Palma - went there last year - nicest and most unspoilt of the Canary Islands in my opinion. Great driving too - roads are brilliant - cheap too. Thomson do flights fro arouhg £200 return.
Canaries are quite sunny (20C ish) I go to Lanzarote for 2 weeks most Januaries and it is always a bit windy, Islands in the Atlantic!, but weather and temp overall are about like a good May in UK.
 The holiday report - Runfer D'Hills
We have a 5 day potential holiday "window" late October. Fancy a bit of sun. Don't fancy people in 3/4 trousers and football jerseys. Don't want to spend a fortune. Suggestions? ( Couple + 12 year old )
 The holiday report - Manatee
I just love that your criterion for a destination is that there should be no badly dressed people :-)

And your point is?

:-)
 The holiday report - No FM2R
In Mallorca the resorts remain open for the school half term, and then close for the winter.

If you go the week before that half term you will find everything open, nothing busy, and the holidays cheap. No crowds, no idiots, plenty of time to enjoy stuff.

And Mallorca without the crowds is really very pleasant.

After the half term holiday everything closes and so there's nowehre to eat, drink, or visit.

Or are you restricted to the half term holiday?
More or less. Did look at Mallorca. Cheap enough, weather marginal.
 The holiday report - No FM2R
2 or 3 times we've been in that week prior to the October half term. Our experience with the weather has been pretty good.

The occasional chilly day, but mostly very pleasant and good enough for the kids on the bed.

Similarly we've rented a holiday villa in that week. I think the last time was Denia area. Again, pretty cheap, most stuff still open, weather ok.

Don't go near Cadiz or the surrounding.Too windy at this time of year.

Of course, if you go down to somewhere like Agadir, the weather will be great. Still not much in the way of idiot tourists, but it is more expensive.
OK thanks, I'll check out options. Unfortunately restricted to 5 days due to prior commitments. Need something easy but worthwhile to do.
 The holiday report - Mapmaker
>>Don't go near Cadiz or the surrounding.

I was going to suggest Jerez... Or Seville. Ryanair stop flying to Jerez beginning of November.
I would suggest Seville. There is enough in the city to amuse the kids, specially if you get a hotel with facilities.
 The holiday report - bathtub tom
>> We have a 5 day potential holiday "window" late October. Fancy a bit of sun.
>> Don't fancy people in 3/4 trousers and football jerseys. Don't want to spend a fortune.
>> Suggestions? ( Couple + 12 year old )

October Half-term?

I've done the Balearics more often than I care to remember, it used to be cheap, but seems to have caught up with demand. I've flown out of Minorca with the staff shutting the place behind me. It used to be that the only way there November-May was by ferry.

I've had some wet and hot holidays in Balearics/southern Spain at that time of year. You take your chances, but it's cheap and a short flight.

I'd recommend that area, but choose your location carefully.
>> Canaries are quite sunny (20C ish) I go to Lanzarote for 2 weeks most Januaries
>> and it is always a bit windy, Islands in the Atlantic!, but weather and temp
>> overall are about like a good May in UK.

Been to lanzarote, never going back there, had to thump some drunken mick who was being a bit out of order.

Thinking, Marakesh (would have to be March if we went there)
 The holiday report - sooty123
Can't help with Marakesh I'll though I have been to Tangiers and Tatoine (?) nearby. If they are much of a reflection on the rest of Morocco I wouldn't bother. It wasn't very impressive, not built up enough to appeal to the costa market nor original enough either. Have you tried Cyprus ? I've only transited through there for 48 hours and looked very nice from what I saw, I'd quite like to go back. I would think it would be warm enough then, it was plenty hot enough in October.
 The holiday report - legacylad
I absolutely loved Marrakesh when i was there for a week in Nov a few years ago. I have friends staying there in a riad at the moment for a weeks holiday, and their emails tell me likewise.
Lovely sunny weather, interesting people, delicious food, different sights & atmosphere.
Trips out to some amazing scenery, and great gorge walking.
 The holiday report - Fullchat
Likewise loved Marrakesh. City of contrasts between old and new. Hired a minibus and guide for 4 days who took us over the Atlas Mountains to Qarzazate (famous film location) and then a circular route through some wonderful scenery taking in gorges, Kasbahs and a night under the stars at a Bedouin encampment (mock) after a painful camel ride. Returned via Qarzazate to Marrakesh. Even spotted a couple of English registered BMW GSs doing the same route. We kept passing each other but never got the chance to meet and have the sort of yarn motorcyclists do. Recommended.
 The holiday report - Dog
M8 just returned from Egypt, said:

"Yesterday afternoon it was 36degs at Sharm el sheikh airport (warm for the time of year) we flew home to Bristol - 9deg *king raining en *king foggy.

But what a great week we had, a last minute bargain thing. It's mid thirties in the day and mid twenties at night, but strangely nightfall came very abruptly at 5 o'clock each afternoon. it hasn't rained in Sinai for two years but water seems plentiful as they've invested in massive de-salination plant.

We woz staying at sharm but spent the time mostly on the beach and snorkelling in the red sea between Sharm and Tiran Island on the coral reefs - most amazing experience of my life.
Check youtube, many vids are posted showing the amazing vareity of fish on the coral there".

E'e went to the same school like what I did.
 The holiday report - Westpig
>> I'm looking for somewhere warm in Jan or Feb.
>>
Hades?

;-)
 The holiday report - Armel Coussine
>> I'm looking for somewhere warm

You'll be there soon enough Zero. No need for impatience.
 The holiday report - Kevin
>Sounds like a good Holiday to me! - why do folk bother going abroad eh!

I hate British winters. I need a dose of sunshine to get through them.

Devon in December doesn't really fit the bill.
 The holiday report - MD
>> >Sounds like a good Holiday to me! - why do folk bother going abroad eh! I hate British winters. I need a dose of sunshine to get through them. Devon in December doesn't really fit the bill.
>>
It does if you like certain rural pursuits akin to Pheasants, Labradors and Sloe Gin etc.
 The holiday report - Kevin
>It does if you like certain rural pursuits akin to Pheasants, Labradors and Sloe Gin etc.

Oh, I like rural pursuits OK Martin. I shoot (only clays now) and I've been known to lift a Springer over a fence or two. I'll still be taking two weeks of sun, sand and margheritas in December though. The Barbour, boots and Browning won't be needed.

I just hope they don't run out of ice!
 The holiday report - rtj70
Our two weeks away in Greece had very nice weather. First week highs were mid 30 deg C but still about 28 deg C on the last days (October 6/7). Very nice. And including flights, transfers etc. was less than £580 for two weeks for the two of us. About £40/night then which includes the flights etc. Almost a bargain.

We did Rhodes for a week last June/July for a little over £300 for the two of us. Again with flights and transfers.
 The holiday report - Roger.
A good trip advisor report. Ta!
 The holiday report - Robin O'Reliant
I was in Clovelly the day Chas and Di tied the knot. Normally it would have been packed as it was in the height of the holiday season but on that day it was practically deserted. I remember getting ferried back to the top along some sort of back route in a Landrover.
 The holiday report - Dog
I was in St Ives, Hayle, Gwithian and Godrevy yesterday, still plenty of punters about, with their dogs.

Most emmetts give S.E. Cornwall a miss as they head down to the above, so, it tends to be muy tranquilo.
 The holiday report - L'escargot
>> I was in St Ives, ...........

As I was going to St Ives
I met a man with seven wives .......

It wasn't you, was it, Dog?
;-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 29 Sep 12 at 14:15
>>It wasn't you, was it, Dog?

I was trying to craft a witty comment based on your mistaking the St Ives in the rhyme for the one in Cornwall when it's the one in Cambridgeshire, but then I googled it, and it looks as if Cornwall is favourite.

So it must have been Dog. I'm surprised at him, he never mentioned his polywotsit lifestyle.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 29 Sep 12 at 15:41
 The holiday report - Dog
You know what they say about dogs!

["Howls with laughter"]
 The holiday report - Roger.
Life's a bitch?
Life's a Bitch
Then you die
And other people get your stuff!

(Confucius 490 BC)
It's no laughing matter, you should be ashamed, not brazenly chortling!
Stop hounding him.
 The holiday report - Dog
A dogs gotta be careful on ere, or they'll have e'e hanged, drawn and neutered - with a rusty knife :(
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 29 Sep 12 at 17:25
 The holiday report - L'escargot
>> You know what they say about dogs!

You mean about them sniffing other Dog's bums? mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=1617
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 29 Sep 12 at 16:08
 The holiday report - Dog
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwTL_zOQAG8
I am unable to link to the Matt cartoon, showing 2 dogs, one holding a Dog ID Card and saying to the other that It cuts out all that bottom sniffing!
 The holiday report - John H
>> I am unable to link to the Matt cartoon,
>>

comedycard.co.uk/.media/436502706346.png
AAH but you are able! Thanks - one of Matt's best IMO
 The holiday report - Dog
The rain in Spain can be a blimmin pain:

i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu13/owdoggy/Misc/Rain-Sep2012_zps476121c2.mp4

"We got hit pretty bad in this part of Almeria. Houses collapsed, roads gone (and I mean just gone!), landslides .... the full bifter.

I took this video (just click the pic) of what usually is a dry & dusty rambla where we walk the dogs ....... and that's all gone now".

From an expat.
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 30 Sep 12 at 09:59
 Holiday Weather - Meldrew
Just came across this useful site - www,weather2travel.com. Gives 5 day forecasts worldwide and stats for whole months; one can check on February in Vancouver for example. Might be a useful planning tool - I hope!
 Holiday Weather - CGNorwich
Vancouver February=wet and cold

Holiday Weather - Meldrew
Not just February ISTR!
 Holiday Weather - CGNorwich
Cracking summer though. Wall to wall sunshine since beginning of June my daughter tells me.
 The holiday report - Dog
Another expat report on the wev:

"Well last year it was an earthquake & this year I've been flooded out ! It's an absolute disaster area again here , although this time it's us peasants in the outskirts that have been devastated. the AP7 autovia is shut before it splits to Granada Or Almeria as a bridge has collapsed. The new 'ghost highway also has the same problem at Pulpi. There's at least 5 dead. They were taking them off house roofs just down the road from me.
One chap was standing on a washing machine with water up to his neck when the fire brigade got to him.
What you have to remember is that we are not a heavily populated area on the south/south-east side of Lorca, but houses dotted about the campo ! So when you are talking about water, 1.5m deep across basically open farmland it defies belief.
We were keeping on top of it even with our rainwater deposito being filled in 40 mins ( 30,000litres!) & I put the pumps on to pump the excess into the canales , but the main problem here is that the road at the front of our house has a floodwater ditch on the opposite side. 4m wide a nearly 2m deep .There are many of these all fanning out into the low lying countryside to spread the water & ,hopefully ,prevent serious flooding.
I was on the way back from the neighbours with some more pipe & looked across at the ditch which was about 30cm from the top . I waited for a car to pass & as I looked back a wall of water probably 40 cm above the road surged across, flooded the ditch my side & poured down the drive. It also went down the side road & into the back of the garden.
Unfortunately my house is old & below road level. We have only 2 access doors, front & lounge about 3 m apart & we had already done our best to prevent water ingress but to no avail. It ended up between 10 & 20 cm deep inside but 25 cm higher outside, with thewife & dogs all trapped in the house!!
I had to go round the back & cut one of the rejas to allow the wife to pass the dogs out & then help her out. Fortunately after about 20 mins the flow subsided & you are just left with utter devastation.
It took us until 7pm too pump the water out to below the door levels.
I got off lightly compared to neighbours along the road & in front who had such massive amounts in such a short time & rising at such speed that they had no choice but to turn all their animals out to attempt to find refuge on their own. The horse breeder had to release 200 mares ,foals , stallions just to give them a chance. There are animals, bulls, cattle, sheep, goats, horses, dogs, everywhere . Dead & alive.

We've spent the day . along with friends & neighbours cleaning the house out as best we can . It comes to something when you have to dig a hole in the lounge floor so that you can use a submersible to pump the water out ! Just got to wait for the insurance man to arrive. That'll be a long wait !

The price of some vegetables will be going up as tens of thousands of acres that have just been planted have all been destroyed. Neighbour over the road has lost every one of his crops".
 The holiday report - Mapmaker
>>The price of some vegetables will be going up as tens of thousands of acres that have just
>>been planted have all been destroyed. Neighbour over the road has lost every one of his
>>crops".

Possibly prices in the local markets, but this will be a very local effect, if at all. IMO.
 The holiday report - devonite
>>thousands of acres that have just been planted have all been destroyed.

Global Starvation will be the nemesis of Mankind!
 The holiday report - MD
>>Barnstaple: Really, really needs a by-pass as the route through town is congested and really goes around the houses, but there is no other way to get North of Bideford.

Stu'. If you wished to circumvent Barnstaple town then you could use the by pass which DOES exist. I am there at least once a week and will be so tomorrow when the by pass will again be used!!
Latest Forum Posts