Non-motoring > Diabetic retinopathy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 34

Diabetic retinopathy - L'escargot
I recently had my third annual diabetic retinopathy screening test. In the two previous years nothing untoward was found. I've just been informed that this year's test showed the start of retinopathy. Fortunately at this stage no treatment is required, and I will continue to have yearly tests. I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experience of this condition. How quickly did it progress, what are the symptoms, what treatment was given, and was the treatment successful?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 2 Oct 12 at 11:49
 Diabetic retinopathy - VxFan
Ever since I've been having retinopathy screening (5 yrs+) the report has come back saying that I have early signs of background retinopathy but at this time no treatment is required.
 Diabetic retinopathy - Lygonos
Don't smoke, control blood pressure well, keep sugars well controlled, keep fit, and don't smoke.

Do all that and whatever you get, you just have to accept.

Oh, and don't smoke.

(not a go at the OP - just diabetes and smoking is as sensible as lighting up in an oxygen tent).
 Diabetic retinopathy - Ted

I've had diabetic retinopathy in both eyes. Do as Dr Lygo says !

Mine started a long time ago, My diabetic nurse used to ask me if I had my eyes checked regularly.....I did. What I didn't know was that she was talking about a proper fundoscopy and I was talking about a refraction test...letters on the wall. My optician, a personal friend, was elderly and didn't have the equipment so never offered me the proper test, nor did he even mention it. I knew nothing about it so I couldn't ask for it.

So, I developed retinopathy. After being made aware of the proper test I made an appointment at the Royal Manchester Eye Hospital. After having a fundoscopy on both eyes, the consultant called me in and said I had retinal bleeding and it was very serious. Left untreated, it would lead to blindness. He did some laser treatment the same day and I became a regular, ending up with about 25k laser shots altogether over a period. I haven't had any now for about 8 yrs and they seem happy with the current status.

If you need the laser, have it done. It doesn't hurt unless the setting is high. Better than your eyeball filling with blood !

Of course, there can be follow-on complications. I developed cataracts a couple of years ago which were duly removed under the NHS at our new state of the art hospital. I suffered from macular swellings ( oedemas ) afterwards then secondary cataracts formed on my new plastic lenses. This is fairly common and a simple laser procedure removes them effectively. I went privately for this as I was getting frustrated and depressed by my lack of good vision and the waiting list was about 3 months, which meant waiting all Summer this year.

The swelling in my right eye has gone but I'm now on a course of 3 Avastin injections in the left eye over 3 months. I had my second one today, as it happens. That, too, is not the unpleasant procedure that it sounds, the eye is anaesthetised (sp) and you can see the Avastin being injected into the eyeball as a swirling, clear liquid...fascinating !

So, if you've got diabetes, don't neglect to have your eyes seen to on a regular basis. Early diagnosis and treatment by laser of any problems will probably prevent the complications wot I got.

Nurse " Have you ever had your eyes checked ?"

Patient " No, they've always been this colour !"

I'll get me parka..

Ted
 Diabetic retinopathy - devonite
Avastin - is that an Antivirus injection?
Thanks guys, that's all very reassuring. I'll discuss it with the diabetes nurse at my next annual appointment. The strange thing is that at the last diabetes test my fasting blood glucose level and my HbA1c level were both within the non-diabetic range, indicating (I think!) that I don't have diabetes.
>>The strange thing is that at the last diabetes test my fasting blood glucose level and my HbA1c level were both within the non-diabetic range, indicating (I think!) that I don't have diabetes.

Presuming the diagnosis was correct initially it indicates that either your medication or changes you have made to your lifestyle (or both) have had a good effect on your sugar levels.

Losing body fat soon after diagnosis (assuming you have an excess) is the most useful action you can take to reduce the risk of future complications.

Other than stopping smoking...
 Diabetic retinopathy - CGNorwich
I was watching the BBC news and was astounded to hear that Around 3.7 million people in Britain have diabetes. This number is expected to rise to 4.4million by 2020

Obesity was one of the major causes of type 2 Diabetes and the treatment costs are so high that it could financially cripple the NHS.

>> Obesity was one of the major causes of type 2 Diabetes and the treatment costs
>> are so high that it could financially cripple the NHS.

Before you start wondering, I am not obese. I'll admit to being a few pounds overweight, but that's all.
'I'll admit to being a few pounds overweight,"

Me too. I wasn't accusing you of bankrupting the NHS L'Es but was truly astonished by the number of people with Diabetes and the scale of the problem financially. I don't think I know anyone with Diabetes.
>> I don't think I know anyone with Diabetes.

You need to get out more.
;-)
 Diabetic retinopathy - Pat
>>. I'll admit to being a few pounds overweight<<

That's not overweight, that's just lovely and cuddly;)

Pat
>> That's not overweight, that's just lovely and cuddly;)

Aww! You say the nicest things!
 Diabetic retinopathy - Zero
Anyone who is overweight, resulting in symptoms that the NHS has to deal with should be offered a cure, not sticking plaster.

The cure is to send them away to be locked in to a weight loss centre. You can refuse but the NHS wont then treat your symptoms.

Smokers and coughs ditto.
>> Presuming the diagnosis was correct initially it indicates that either your medication or changes you
>> have made to your lifestyle (or both) have had a good effect on your sugar
>> levels.

At my last annual visit to see the diabetes nurse I queried whether, because of the normality of the latest test results, I was in fact diabetic. She said that once I had been diagnosed as diabetic I would always be on their register as diabetic. Talk about giving a dog a bad name!
 Diabetic retinopathy - Ted
>> Avastin - is that an Antivirus injection?
>>

I think it's a heart drug mainly, The good doktor will know, I think they use it instead of Lucentis for financial reasons......£800 against £3000 a jab. The NHS won't finance the more expensive one. No 'afterpain ' at all this time. Felt like I'd been hit by a snowball in the open eye before. Slept fine and woke pain free.

My BP and blood sugar were tested before the jab....BP fine but they thought my sugar was too low at 5.6. A small chocolate/caramel bar got me up to a workable 6.5.

I got a copy of the letter that the diabetic clinic sends to my GP. My Hba1C is normally about 7.5 but the letter said 55.1. Horrified, I called in at the clinic while I was at the hospital yesterday to see why it was so high.

The receptionist told me that they were now using a different scale and 55.1 was 7.2 in old money......phew !

Ted
Three main reasons for the 'explosion' in diabetic numbers (20 years ago when I was a student the prevalence was around 1%):

1. More obesity, crap diet, sedentary lifestyles = more diabetics

2. More cases being looked for by GPs/nurses and more patient awareness (especially with respect to having a family history) = less 'hidden' diabetics in the community = more confirmed diabetics.

3. A better understanding of the disease means diabetics live much longer than they used to - diabetes can be considered a high risk factor for vascular events/death - BP, sugar, cholesterol, tobacco control reduce these events = living longer with diabetes = more diabetics.

It's not the NHS budget I'd worry about - it's the general treasury budget - all these people are living longer in retirement - maybe there was something in the story behind 'Logan's Run'...

Diabetic retinopathy - Dog
>>maybe there was something in the story behind 'Logan's Run'<<

Amen to that but, I 'draw the line' at Soylent Green.

:-))
>> ........... all these people are living longer in retirement ...........

I blame the NHS for detecting health problems and then giving them life-saving treatment!
;-)
That is exactly the problem. The question in a lot of cases is what sort of a life are they being saved for . In many cases one of dementia, pain, and loneliness. I sometimes wonder if modern medicine is doing more harm than good (unless it's me who's ill of course).
 Diabetic retinopathy - Zero
>> That is exactly the problem. The question in a lot of cases is what sort
>> of a life are they being saved for . In many cases one of dementia,
>> pain, and loneliness. I sometimes wonder if modern medicine is doing more harm than good
>> (unless it's me who's ill of course).

And its costing us a fortune.
>> And its costing us a fortune.
>>

I'm just pleased to be getting a return on the N.I. contributions I paid.
;-)
The dental receptionist this morning asked me who my doctor is, ain't got one, I said, business men in white coats these days, I said.

If I went to see a doctor now I'm 60, like I promised myself I would, they'd have me on all manner of pills n' potions.

No thanks - when I'm gorn I'm gorn.
"if I went to see a doctor now I'm 60, "

You would be lucky round here. Went to make an appointment at my local surgery yesterday. Two weeks Friday was the earliest appointment, and that's not to see my own Doctor.

Oh well its only pain.
 Diabetic retinopathy - Clk Sec
>> You would be lucky round here. Went to make an appointment at my local surgery
>> yesterday. Two weeks Friday was the earliest appointment, and that's not to see my own
>> Doctor.

I think I'd be looking to register elsewhere if I was you..

I might have to wait up to a week for my own doctor, but I would certainly be able to see someone else on day one, pain or no pain.
They're all much the same around here. Too many people and not enough doctors. Ended up going to the NHS walk in centre in the City which was a bit ironic since it's my knee that's the problem. Got to see a doctor though.

It does amuse me when you see these TV campaigns for Bowel cancer and the like telling you to consult a doctor. Chance would be a fine thing.
 Diabetic retinopathy - henry k
>> It does amuse me when you see these TV campaigns for Bowel cancer and the
>> like telling you to consult a doctor. Chance would be a fine thing.
>>
By coincidence I picked up a leaflet in the local chemist.
A familiar blue colour and font. "KEEP CALM and MAKE AN APPOINTMENT with your GP
It was re lung cancer.

Our GPs are very good. I was at the Sugery on Fri afternoon and there was no queue.

p.s. Last month, over 100 appointments were available due to no shows.
>>You would be lucky round here. Went to make an appointment at my local surgery yesterday. Two weeks Friday was the earliest appointment, and that's not to see my own Doctor<<

Yes, I have read and heard reports like that, when I last visited a doctor in 92, I just made a phone call then went to see him, but I used to try and get a last appointment (like I try to get a first appointment at the toof doc) so I could have a bit of a chinwag with him, I ended up setting up his tropical fish tank in the waiting room.

My 12 year old dog never goes to the vet either, R/Ridgebacks are are a fairly hardy breed, I feed him once a day, that's it though, no titbits etc., he drinks water from the bore hole chlorine and fluoride free, and I bung him a Drontal XL about once a year, if I remember.

When he's gorn etc., etc., etc..
 Diabetic retinopathy - Clk Sec
>>(like I try to get a first appointment at the toof doc)

If you don't mind me asking, Dog, why is that?
>>If you don't mind me asking, Dog, why is that?<<

Well, I'd like to avoid them as well TBH, but a few friends ended up with no two rear teeth (molars) that met together for chewing :(

I like to have a first appointment so I can be in and out as quick as I can and, I'm an early bird anyway :)
>> You would be lucky round here. Went to make an appointment at my local surgery
>> yesterday. Two weeks Friday was the earliest appointment, and that's not to see my own
>> Doctor.

At our medical practice we can be seen the same day provided that we ring up dead on the dot of 8:30am. We will be seen by whichever doctor is allocated to us. When all bookings are taken we have to ring again the next day. We can ask for a doctor to call us back, and sometimes that's the best way if a telephone consultation is appropriate for our particular problem. We can get an appointment in advance to see a specific doctor but there are only three appointments available each day, and these are the first three from when the surgery opens.
>>At our medical practice we can be seen the same day provided that we ring up dead on the dot of 8:30am<<

:-D
 Diabetic retinopathy - Telb
Yeah. At my last bladder cancer check-up they told me my HbA1c was 49 (it's done because of the general anaesthetic). I nearly had kittens! So that'll be 6.6 then.

On the original question, I agree with everyone else. My first check showed "the start of some retinopathy" but the 2 since have shown no change.

So control the blood sugar and don't smoke - or has someone said that before?
>> ....... they told me my HbA1c was 49 (mmol/mol) .......... So that'll be 6.6 (%) then.

Correctamundo. tinyurl.com/d2cksce
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 4 Oct 12 at 10:54
Likeliest reason for very long waits to see GPs is (as I've said before) largely down to how much money the GP wants to take home.

Practice income is independent of the number of doctors working there, so more docs means more slices from the same pie = smaller slices.

Latest Forum Posts