Non-motoring > What next Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 8

What next - MD
National 'virtual ID card' scheme set for launch (Is there anything that could possibly go wrong?)

From the Indy this morning. Don't know how to make it clickable.
 What next - Manatee
goo.gl/YXzRW
 What next - Cliff Pope
It's a neat solution but surely only as secure as the organisations supplying the verification. So if Facebook is hacked, or a disc of NatWest passwords left on a train, passport applications will be compromised too?

In effect it seems to work as if someone at the Home Office looking at a passport application rings up a chum in Lloyds and says "Is this chap all right?" and he replies "Yes, we know him, he's been a customer for years".

It's a sort of Wikepedia method of verifying information.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Thu 4 Oct 12 at 08:30
 What next - Focusless
>> goo.gl/YXzRW

1st few paras:

The Government will announce details this month of a controversial national identity scheme which will allow people to use their mobile phones and social media profiles as official identification documents for accessing public services.

People wishing to apply for services ranging from tax credits to fishing licences and passports will be asked to choose from a list of familiar online log-ins, including those they already use on social media sites, banks, and large retailers such as supermarkets, to prove their identity.

Once they have logged in correctly by computer or mobile phone, the site will send a message to the government agency authenticating that user’s identity.
 What next - L'escargot
>> goo.gl/YXzRW
>>

How boring. I quickly switched to the Solange Knowles article.
 What next - Zero
Looks just like credit scoring to me.
 What next - Crankcase
As long as this doesn't end up with it being impossible to do whatever you need to do without a Facebook login...

Online stuff is ok in its place, but it does tend to get too big for its boots. When I was faffing about with the electricity company the other day I discovered that since the last time I called them (about six months ago) they have removed the phone number from anywhere obvious. Once you do find it, you get a 60 second delay while it tells you to use the website instead, but hold if you must. It then rings precisely twice, tells you they are sorry they couldn't answer, and cuts the line. Effectively the only contact method now is email, their website, or I imagine, writing a letter. This seems a retrograde step in some ways to digital recalcitrant refuseniks like me.
 What next - Zero
>> or I imagine, writing a letter. This seems a retrograde step in some ways to
>> digital recalcitrant refuseniks like me.

Its the non digital Gulag for you then
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 4 Oct 12 at 09:21
 What next - Crankcase
I'd welcome it with open arms. As soon as I retire it all gets switched off.
Latest Forum Posts