Non-motoring > Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 120

Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - henry k
I have known several who have died from booze but just how much can be tolerated without killing the unfortunate individual?
I have no idea but.....

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/9639496.stm

Two minutes of video - a calm interview.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Manatee
Must depend on the tolerance built up. One bottle of vodka at a sitting could probably kill a fair percentage of unhardened drinkers. I'm pretty sure that's happened especially with youngsters.

My wife's BiL can drink pints well into the teens. I'm sure I couldn't, not that I want to of course - I'd rather enjoy one or two.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Lygonos
80mg/100ml blood = drink-drive limit.

500-600mg/100ml is around fatal level for many.

Rare incidences of people surviving 1000mg/100ml and more, usually very hardened drinkers.

A bottle of spirits over a few hours would have the average punter at the coma/death level.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - R.P.
I dealt with an ex-jockey (small person) who was seen reversing his car into another (sort of a slight "kiss") he was breathalysed arrested and found that he was 350mg/100ml. But appeared stone cold sober when arrested.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - No FM2R
>>A bottle of spirits over a few hours would have the average punter at the coma/death level.

I'm not sure about that. I frequently drink a Vodka & Orange. Here that essentially means a pint glass and is one half vodka and one half orange, less whatever space the ice takes up.

On an evening out I would certainly have two of those, and potentially several more.

Clearly I shouldn't drive (or write stuff here), but I'm hardly comatose either.

I think alcohol abuse is less about what you drink in one go, and more about your average over a period of time.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 6 Oct 12 at 18:44
>> I think alcohol abuse is less about what you drink in one go, and more about your average over a period of time.

Perhaps but the risk of dying acutely (through basically anaesthetising youself to the point of no longer breathing) depends upon its concentration in your bloodstream, modified by your inherent tolerance.

Most people can tolerate the effect of 8-10 pints in an evening - they'll be rather drunk but extremely unlikely to die.

Double that and many will be very ill - some might die.

Much more and many will die.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sat 6 Oct 12 at 18:53
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Armel Coussine

>> Clearly I shouldn't drive (or write stuff here), but I'm hardly comatose either.

From what you say FMR you drink even more vodka and orange than I do. God how annoying.

I usually do a third of a bottle but sometimes half. Last night more than half because my daughter had a party here and I had to make myself as bland and pleasant aas possible with the whippersnappers, some unknown to me. I could have driven perfectly safely, more cautiously than usual but not so as to be noticed, after that.

I never touch a drop till 6 except in the old days at carnival or once inb a blue moon for some occasion, four times a year maybe. But I'm not sure my considerable tolerance for vodka - whisky is more toxic in quantity and so are wine and brandy although I can keep my end up - is altogether a good thing healthwise.
>> I had to make myself as bland and pleasant aas possible

And if that is not sufficient justification for vodka, then I don't know what is.

>>I could have driven perfectly safely

I can talk and walk, and mostly not appear under the influence, but drive? Oh no, I wouldn't be safe enough for that.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 6 Oct 12 at 20:00
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Fursty Ferret
>> I'm not sure about that. I frequently drink a Vodka & Orange. Here that essentially
>> means a pint glass and is one half vodka and one half orange, less whatever
>> space the ice takes up.
>>
>> On an evening out I would certainly have two of those, and potentially several more.
>>

Speaking bluntly, it sounds like you have a bit of a problem. You might want to talk to a doctor about a liver test.

>>You might want to talk to a doctor about a liver test.

I did, but panic over, they're both still there.

And they must be better than yours, because they're loads bigger.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Zero

>> I did, but panic over, they're both still there.
>>
>> And they must be better than yours, because they're loads bigger.

I dont think you've got any, V&O is just too girly.
>>I dont think you've got any, V&O is just too girly.

Hark at Mr. "I'll have a double babycham on the rocks".
>> I did, but panic over, they're both still there.

Umm are you maybe thinking of kidneys or am I missing the joke?
Like I know how many kidneys or livers I've got, or even am supposed to have.

Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Harleyman
In the early 80's one of my relief driving jobs was for BRS, out of Langley Mill. Used to collect the lorry and trailer there, it was loaded with 300 barrels of Guinness which had come up from Park Royal overnight, for delivery to local breweries.

One of my regular crew on this job was a middle-aged guy called Wilf, who had formerly been a drayman for Home Brewery in Nottingham. In those days it was normal for delivery drivers to be offered "refreshment" at a drop, and whilst I stuck to tea, Wilf would consume several pints at every drop. Apparently this was not unusual amongst draymen;it's a physically demanding job involving considerable manual handling skills. He insisted that he could drink as much beer as he liked and it never bothered him. I've seen him sup up to ten on a shift, and be absolutely unaffected; though he did admit that if he went out of an evening and went on to whisky he was a goner after only three or four shots.

I've heard similar tales from retired railwaymen and foundry workers. Nowadays of course it's totally verboten. One of the reasons I packed up working on preserved railways was because the Elf and Safety aspects killed the social side; you can't be seen drinking if you're driving or firing a train the following day. Yet back in the 50's and 60's, and even up the turn of the last century it was considered normal to get a few beers in after a shift, to replenish the fluids you'd sweated out.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - RattleandSmoke
Last Saturday was a bit of a big night out, a new rock night opened in a massive club in Manchester. As a result around 20 of mates where there . It was one of them nights where free drinks just kept appearing and I was quite drunk I didn't know who was buying them. That night I had 9 pints of beer and 3 shots of Tequila. I wasn't completely dead the next day but I knew I had drank too much.

One of my mates ex girlfriends could out drink me, she would often have 10-12 pints on a night out and it staggered me, she was 6.2 but quite slim. I usually have about 8 pints on a night out from around 6:30pm to 2:30am.

Of course I don't drive the day after a heavy session.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 6 Oct 12 at 18:46
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Bromptonaut
Lygonos has given the approx figures for a fatal dose. Presumably that kills by suppressing bodily functions to point that breathing etc ceases.

Few from school days and at least one 'client' when I worked in front line mental health related stuff died via drink>pass out>vomit>inhale etc. As a parent that's the one that bothers me 'cos it only requires a bit of misjudgement or some idiot spiking etc. Been a bit too near myself at least twice in my twenties - fortunately I passed out over the loo and not in bed.

And then there's the long term effect on liver and other organs including the pancreatitis described in the vid.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 6 Oct 12 at 18:58
Last time they checked my liver was Ok they said.

My father told me that messes full of rough kind-hearted ratings on warships would sometimes pool their tots of cask-strength navy rum to give a popular young matelot a decent drink on his 18th birthday. It was not unknown for the birthday boy to die of alcohol poisoning owing to his youth and lack of practice in punishing his organism with strong spirits. A tolerance has to be built up. In youth the amount of juice I now take in my stride would have got me arrested, as indeed it sometimes did.

I recounted on here a bit back about some strong spirit stuff with gold leaf in it, where I consumed a whole bottle in one night. So that means it must have been about half a litre, and probably in the 40-50% proof level. It was a long time ago and I am still alive

I can also easily crack off a 70cl bottle of limoncello in one night, thats about 35% proof, and still be conscious.

And before you say I have a drinking problem, I dont.
The important bit is the concentration of alcohol in the bloodstream.

A fair number of factors modify this, including how much food is in the gut, amount of time taken to imbibe, and how big the drinker is. Random factor X also applies as usual.

Sedative tablets will lower the level than will induce coma/death (eg some antidepressants, valium, methadone).

I guess caffeine/speed/cocaine perhaps increase the level of alcohol than would anaesthetise you.

Pretty much all the alcohol you drink will make its way into your bloodstream and can only really be expelled/metabolised at around 1 unit per hour so a bottle of Limoncello may well have you illegal to drive 20 hours later.

>> I guess caffeine/speed/cocaine perhaps increase the level of alcohol than would anaesthetise you.

Cocaine counteracts the negative effects of alcohol, causing the drunk to stand up straight and come back to life. As a result more alcohol and more cocaine can easily seem a good idea after quite a short time.

Of course not everyone copes with getting that stoned especially at the wheel of a high-powered car. I have also been told - how true it is I don't know - that cocaine and alcohol combine to form some sort of bad brain-damaging molecule. What I do know is that the right stimulant can stop you from falling over and even from making a fool of yourself.

I took a lot of speed in my youth in various forms, mostly diverted genuine pharmaceutical stuff. It's the most effective, most rapidly addicting drug there is. But the physical wear and tear, eyesight, heart, stomach, are noticeable straight away unless you are made of iron. A sane person backs off when it feels like that.
>>And before you say I have a drinking problem, I don’t.

I used to worry about that, mostly in the days of travelling, working and living alone. So I used to stop drinking for the whole of every October. Not for any better reason than just to make myself feel comfortable I could avoid alcohol if I decided to.

Of course these days I realise that’s a complete waste of valuable drinking time, so I don’t do it anymore.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Runfer D'Hills
I'm not anti alcohol but I've never seen the point in being drunk. I have been drunk of course but they were never my finest moments.

I can and do go extended periods without it, sometimes measureable in years. Alternatively, sometimes I'll drink every night for a week but never to the point of feeling drunk. Two, or at the very most three glasses ( no not pints unless it's beer ) of anything is enough to enjoy it without feeling bloated or making a donkey of yourself.

Some alcohol, especially in my opinion anyway, good whisky or decent wine is delicious but the mind altering effect is the bit I don't like.

If some clever person could invent a drink which tasted as good as a decent Speyside malt but which didn't have side effects I'd buy it for sure.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Dutchie
Most drinkers are in denial,it is the taste and the effect of alcohol makes you feel content.Can't get it with a glass of lemonade.
>>Most drinkers are in denial

No I'm not.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - TeeCee
>> Most drinkers are in denial
>>

I got very drunk one night and ended up in de Thames.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Clk Sec
>> >> Most drinkers are in denial
>> I got very drunk one night and ended up in de Thames.

Nice one, TeeCee. First laugh of the day!
The thing that has always surprised me is the amount that some people can drink (and the same seems to apply to other drugs) without> an apparent effect on their life expectancies, provided that they avoid a fatal overdose or other associated lifestyle hazards.

There must be wide variations in tolerance, possibly genetic - Lygonos will enlighten. Charlie Parker, who died at 34, had advanced cirrhosis and was estimated to be between 50 & 60 by the coroner who did the autopsy. Other very heavy drinkers and drug abusers seem to reach advanced ages.

Someone I know quite well, a polymath I have much regard for, for years would arrive at the pub at 10.30 and by 11.30 or soon after would have consumed (literally) a minimum of 9 pints, his standard routine. Occasionally he would make a night of it and (again literally) lose the power of speech. Now and again he would pass out. He's still fairly hale at 80, though he's cut down quite a lot. He attributes his relative longevity to never having smoked.
Depends on the person how much you can tolerate.After my big operation didn't touch a drop for a year.Then a few glasses of red wine a day suppose to be healthy.I like the taste of any alcoholic drink and I have drank the lot.Haven't had a alcoholic drink for three days.
I get drunk for all the wrong reasons, when I am drunk all the problems of the world go away, I am happy and it seems to be the only time I get female attention. Never happier than when I am on the dance floor making a fool of myself.

I don't touch booze during the week though.
That is a good reason for having a drink Rattle.Femalle attention.>:)
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Dog
>>That is a good reason for having a drink Rattle.Femalle attention<<

As long as its not from a WPC when driving home.

:}
>> That is a good reason for having a drink Rattle.Femalle attention.>:)

OOO dear no its not, they dont mix at all. Once you have woken up to your third two bag job of the week, you soon realise its bad karma.
>> Once you have woken up to your third two bag job of the week

Ahh, the good old "double bagging" trick.

Also known as "I wouldn't touch that with yours!"
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - MD
No. Two bags always meant one over your own head in case hers broke!!!!! (0:-:0)
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Roger.
>> No. Two bags always meant one over your own head in case hers broke!!!!! (0:-:0)

The ultimate low is a three-bagger. One for her, one for you and one to be sick in afterwards.
Will you four please take yourselves off to the 'Loaded' forum or similar for a while?

I come here for a bit of erudition you know ;-)
>> to be the only time I get female attention

I know what you mean. I just wish they weren't pointing and laughing.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 6 Oct 12 at 20:06
I never know what do to the female attention anyway. I usually just walk off!
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Ian (Cape Town)
>> I never know what do to the female attention anyway. I usually just walk off!
>>
I believe the correct procedure to follow is to ask her : "CENSORED BY THE MODS!"

Worked for me, in my youth.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - legacylad
I think the secret is to know when you have had enough. A few days ago, on my day off, myself and a few pals caught the bus to KL, where we spent the afternoon drinking, and chatting, in a lovely pub. A great selection of beers, nice ambience, good music. Six pints was my limit...NZ IPA @ 6%, with chilli & chips £3.95 midway. Early night, up at 6 for the gym before work, right as rain.
Moderation in everything.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Dave_
I've always kept a rough tally of my drinking in units (2 in a pint of Carlsberg/Fosters, 3 in a pint of Stella/Kroney, 2 per double Vodka redbull). I won't drive after anything more than 2 units, I get silly after 10, could well be sick after 12, definitely will be sick after 20. No drinking in the week, no more than a bottle of wine at the weekend, maybe a bit more than that over Christmas.

I had a few epic nights out in my late teens/early 20s but then work took over and I had to move on. I've only been leathered before 8pm once in my life (only a few years ago too), it was actually a real laugh but not something you'd want to do very often.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 6 Oct 12 at 21:33
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - zookeeper
i had a bottle of voddo last week, mixed with water and taken over about 5 hour period...felt a bit rough tho the next day so i had another one the next day....still here
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Roger.
Physically, I don't think I could drink more than a couple, or very possibly three, pints of beer (or anything else) in one session, as I would come to the point when I just could not swallow any more.
Mind you, I know I don't really drink enough fluid during a day, but unless I'm sweating heavily I just don't feel the need to quench thirst very often.
By arrangement, we had a bit of nippering tonight. The 16-year-old grandchild to a party 15 miles away up the main road, in the same small town where her school is. I delivered her briskly, herself in attendance to find the house in a sort of suburban labyrinth. When we went back for her at 11.15 I was illegal so herself, who sometimes doesn't even take a drink, drove. But I rode shotgun. Herself asked me not to harrass her and I didn't, much. Just a bit. But I was wrong because she doesn't like driving at night. She's a bit slow in the dark.

If I cleaned the inside of the windscreen with spirit and the outside of the headlamp glasses with soap (and spirit actually to get rid of old continental dip-adjustment adhesive) the car would be distinctly better at night though. It's as much my fault as hers. She's a safe cautious driver thank goodness.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Ambo
Has anyone found, like me, that they drink less alcohol as they grow older? From a nightly gallon of bitter in the sergeants' mess, I am now down (at 82) to 3 units on 5 to 6 nights, or zero if I am going to be driving that night or the following morning.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - CGNorwich
I think its a physiological thing. The body has lesser powers of recovery as you grow older. When you poison it with alcohol it takes longer to recover in the same way that a wound takes longer to heal than when you were 18.

Personally I have never liked drinking large quantities of booze. Indeed it is difficult for me to understand why people do it and take pride in it. It seems to be one thing to be end up drinking too much when in a crowd of fellow drinkers,drink doses after all reduce the powers of judgement and self control, but the deliberate drinking of huge quantities of alcohol seems an odd thing to do and taking pride in how much you can consume is even odder. I suppose it's a sort of macho thing.

That being said I do really enjoy a glass or two of beer or wine, just not by the gallon!
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 7 Oct 12 at 10:36
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Bigtee
Had to laugh reading some of these posts regarding drinking.

Went out last night had a skin full of lager went for a meal and far too many but enjoyed every single bit of it including feeling a tad rough this morning. :-)

A good long bike ride and several pints of water made me feel great later.
>> Has anyone found, like me, that they drink less alcohol as they grow older?

Yes, though the pattern has changed. I probably drink more frequently now, maybe 4 or 5 times a week, but only a glass or two of wine. I love beer but don't drink much at home, and don't routinely go to the pub; though part of my holiday routine is to sample a variety of proper beers, usually a pint or two at the end of the day.

I also like malt whisky and keep a variety on hand, but don't drink it routinely - sometimes I just fancy one, and it's a treat.

I don't think the British really 'get' wine, and I see people drinking it more like beer. The local pub sells wine in 175ml and 250ml 'large' glasses, implying 175ml is small, in fact it's nearly 1/4 bottle and over 2 units of alcohol.

Obviously a glass is what you want it to be, but 6 to the bottle is a traditional number and that makes a glass 125ml. At 12%ABV that's 1.5 units.

Dispensing it in 250ml 'glasses' at 3 to the bottle must mean many people aren't aware that they are drinking a lot, and they probably then pour themselves similar amounts at home (most people can't do arithmetic, or can't be bothered).

I believe there's been an increase in alcohol-related disease and it probably isn't all about strong lager, shots and alcopops.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 7 Oct 12 at 10:40
>> Has anyone found, like me, that they drink less alcohol as they grow older?

I find that I am unable to consume anywhere near as much beer as I used to. Around seven pints of standard strength bitter was the norm on a Saturday lunchtime, but these days I am full to bursting after about three.

On the occasions that we attend family weddings (or any other longish drinking session) I usually have a couple of beers or so, then move on to Grouse or vodka.

I lost a good friend and a colleague some years who were both heavy drinkers. Neither made their allotted three score years and ten, or anywhere near.
>> >> Has anyone found, like me, that they drink less alcohol as they grow older?
>>
I certainly drink very little now.
Partly because I am the only driver so it tends to be a pint or a glass of wine at the start of an event and it has worn off by the time I leave.
Similarly i do not drink much at home.

Prior to retirement I used to indulge on outbound long haul flights prior to having a kip.
I am now in the silly situation of having a good variety of single malts, very expensive blends and brandy that I hardly ever touch. ( No I do not need any help)
I am getting to feel I will leave them in my will.:-)
>> I am now in the silly situation of having a go.od variety of single malts,
( No I do notneed any help)

Oh, that's a shame. I would be more than happy to provide our favourite crisps.
Crisps? with a Single malt? Only thing that goes with that is a fine cigar.

Mark of course will be smoking a Virginia Slim with his Vodka and Orange.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 7 Oct 12 at 12:27
With his pints of vodka and orange! I think he's pulling our legs.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 7 Oct 12 at 12:33
>>Crisps? with a Single malt?

Ah, but these are special crisps and they are not available in Tesco's.

Sorry!
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Ambo
<>

There was not much else to do after work in the peacetime Army in remote areas, unless it was smoking.
Pay no attention to these fashion monitors who tell you what it's appropriate to smoke with your single malt or the screwdrivers FMR and I pour down our throats like stupid tarts of American housewives in an Elmore Leonard novel. If you want to drink your single malt with Ribena while smoking a meerschaum pipe full of skunk, just do it. No one serious will give a tuppenny damn.

Unless of course you are one of these socially insecure types who don't dare to wear white shoes, necklaces, bangles or eye shadow in case someone else disapproves. They make me laugh because they can never get it right. They're too keen.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - CGNorwich
"white shoes, necklaces, bangles or eye shadow in case someone else disapproves."

I would never wear eye shadow with my white shoes. That would be a faux-pas. I only wear the stuff for evening wear with my red stilettos.
>> I only wear the stuff for evening wear with my red stilettos.

Never gone in for drag myself CGN, but chacun a son gout comrade.

Drag isn't necessarily a sign of effeminacy, even when it is if you see what I mean. I once interviewed a senior official and spokesman of one of the two main protestant organizations in Northern Ireland, a man surrounded by menacing tattooed heavies and whom I took to be a decade older than me, and only learned from his obituary years later that he was five years my junior and had been doing a drag act at night under the name Samantha. And there used to be a Soho drag queen called Angel in the fifties and early sixties, an amiable creature usually and dolled up to the nines, but over 6 feet tall and reputed to have a deadly straight right. Don't mess with Angel, everyone said.
>>With his pints of vodka and orange! I think he's pulling our legs.

I'm genuinely not, although I have no way to prove it. Its a habit I got into while living and working at a pulp & paper plant in the Amazon about 15 years ago.

Don't knock until you've tried it.

The only downside is that I *never* drink a spirits in a british pub - a tiny drink you don't notice or a real drink for a king's ransom.
>> >>With his pints of vodka and orange! I think he's pulling our legs.
>>
>> I'm genuinely not, although I have no way to prove it. Its a habit I
>> got into while living and working at a pulp & paper plant in the Amazon
>> about 15 years ago.

Yeah, packing all those internet order books is tough work. Milton Keynes is enough to drive anyone to drink.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 7 Oct 12 at 15:30
>> I think the secret is to know when you have had enough. A few days
>> ago, on my day off, myself and a few pals caught the bus to KL,

KL = Keighley??
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - zookeeper
how is keighley pronounced? is it keith-ley
>> how is keighley pronounced? is it keith-ley

Fanshaw.

Yes, Keith-ley.
Kings Lynn?
Koala Loompa?
>> Koala Loompa?
>>
Gets my vote.
Mine too. Good place for food.
Too much to bear.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Runfer D'Hills
I totally get drinking. Very pleasant way to relax with firiends. I've never though understood the attraction of drinking until roaring drunk. It's not like it enables you to do anything useful, makes me feel ill and also seems to me to be a pretty reliable way of turning otherwise interesting and sometimes intelligent people into drivelling, unpleasant a'holes. I know a lot of people do it though so there must be some hidden benefit I suppose.
+1 Humph. Can't stand being drunk (pun intended).
I used to make the stuff from Molasses into high quality alcohol.Old German distillation columns 96.7 proof alcohol the final product.The fusel oil we took out mid column was worth more for producing high quality perfum so they told me.Good job nice and clean and we where all sober.>:)
>> Good job nice and clean and we where all sober.>:)

You don't fool us Dutchie. We know why Nederlandersh pronoush their eshesh like thish...

:o}
You try to say Scheveningen A.C.>:)

I think I can sort of pronounce it Dutchie - the S and the ch as two separate sounds - but I doubt if I would get the vowels quite perfect. Same with Schimmelpeninck cigars...
Schimmel Pennick made me laugh saying it.Schimmel means a bacteria must be a good sigar.Mr Schimmel and Mrs Pennick.I struggle with the TH in English come to think of it I struggle with everything else.When I have a drink all is fine A.C.>;)
Of course one can only agree Humph. Not everyone gets nasty or egotistical when plastered, but puppyish, repetitive and a bit slow are quite annoying enough after half an hour or so.

It takes people very differently. Some remain angelic and good natured, others get a nasty gleam in their eye or are swinishly uncomprehending. Carnival with the house full of people drinking more than they were used to could sometimes be a great trial to me, and I lost my temper regularly and chucked someone out. It didn't always help to have had a bit too much myself I have to admit.

Dangerous stuff booze. You learn to handle it in a habitual way and then begin to suspect you may have a bit of a habit. It's exactly the same as all other drugs, but statistically more dangerous than most. .
My old man when he used to come home always drank his Genever.He was a big bloke never aggressive in drink.He used to sing old English seafarer songs for us when tipsy.But he could hold his drink.My grandfathere had his own Cafe.He didn't mess about with anybody if there was any trouble.He had a reputation in the village.I used to have a smoke with him using one of his pipes.He lived to in to his nineties.Heavy drinker you can never tell with people.
KL =Kirkby Lonsdale

And for what its worth, my favourite pub in Keighley is the Boltmakers Arms. An excellent selection of Timmy Taylors.
>> KL =Kirkby Lonsdale
>>
>> And for what its worth, my favourite pub in Keighley is the Boltmakers Arms. An
>> excellent selection of Timmy Taylors.

Good man. Lovely stuff. Had a Dark Mild and a Golden Best at the Brown Cow in Bingley recently. The nice thing is that to me the beers are all satisfying as long as you don't go back down the scale in the same session. Usually choose the Golden if available, good for quaffing.
>>KL =Kirkby Lonsdale
>>And for what its worth,

The wife and I are fond of Kirkby Lonsdale. We used to have the occasional short breaks there and have stayed several times at the Sun Inn, and once at the Snooty Fox.
I lived in Bingley 30 years ago, and the Brown Cow was my local of choice.
In KL my fav pub is the Orange Tree, home to KL Brewery, now with rooms and discount for Camra members. And fine good value food. Excellent stuff. The Snooty Fox is not what it was, but plenty of other nice boozers, including the newly reopened Royal Hotel, not strictly speaking a pub, but a nice pint of seesion beer, Windermere Pale.
There are worse places to live.
I know, Ive lived in them!!Bradford & Keighley for a start.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Kevin
In the late 70s early 80s I worked in Namibia. It was a hard working, hard drinking, mining lifestyle.

I was on the committee of a social club and served behind the bar now and again. One evening a member came in around 7pm, he'd started drinking straight after work at 4pm. In the space of two hours he drank 18 double klippy and cokes. That's over a bottle of Brandy in two hours! When we closed the bar at 9pm he was still sociable, coherent and walking in a straight line to his Landie before heading off to another bar where he could continue.

Still alive and well in Windhoek last I heard.

I also knew the 4th Earl of Wharncliffe, another big drinker who sadly killed someone while supposedly so far over the DD limit he should have been dead.
Didn't know a guy called Keith Lester, I suppose?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 7 Oct 12 at 23:02
>Didn't know a guy called Keith Lester, I suppose?

The name doesn't ring a bell, should it?

I have a lousy memory for names though, Frank.
No particular reason, just another Gringo, same time, same place, worth a shot.
>just another Gringo, same time, same place, worth a shot.

Where did he live/work?

It was a fairly small ex-pat community at the time.
>> It was a fairly small ex-pat community at the time.

Sizeable territory though. Seven hours by Land Rover for a game of bridge... I'd rather go native frankly. The conversation would be better just for a start, if a common language could be found or quickly formed...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 8 Oct 12 at 23:13
>I'd rather go native frankly. The conversation would be better just for a start,

We often did although it was frowned upon by the retreating Boers. Alcohol is a requirement if you want to speak Xhosa though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=31zzMb3U0iY

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mwh9z58iAU

We had Xhosa friends in absolute hysterics trying to teach us how to click. I only mastered one word which is unrepeatable in a civilised forum but sounds like "N{click}uis".
Last edited by: Kevin on Mon 8 Oct 12 at 23:56
>>Still alive and well in Windhoek last I heard<<

But his Liver is Leather by now.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I also knew the 4th Earl of Wharncliffe, another big drinker who sadly killed someone
>> while supposedly so far over the DD limit he should have been dead.
>>

I've just Googled him. It was a car accident, not as in glorious 18th century style, by attacking and murdering a fellow peer in a drunken brawl at a London club.
Another thing not mix to mix with your drink !

www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19866191
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - movilogo
Why the hell the bar was allowed to sell it?

Why no one else was affected?

Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - rtj70
I can only guess that the liquid nitrogen was used in the production of the cocktail and not meant to be an ingredient per se. A bit like how Heston Blumenthal uses liquid nitrogen to create some of his dishes - used to cool liquids etc very quickly.

But having said that - dangerous to be drinking a drink that has been cooled to such low temperatures - i.e. irrelevant there is or isn't still any liquid nitrogen in it.
I assume LN was added to the cocktail for effect, and was not meant to be drunk till it had boiled off
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - madf
All you need is a minute ulcer in your stomach to freeze and hey presto a nice hole...
>> But having said that - dangerous to be drinking a drink that has been cooled
>> to such low temperatures - i.e. irrelevant there is or isn't still any liquid nitrogen
>> in it.

Might be irrelevant if there isn't and it's cold enough; definitely not irrelevant if there is, far too cold without a doubt. Not to mention the expansion when it boils off in the stomach that now has the properties of glass...

It really shouldn't be anywhere near bar staff and drunk people. Even dry ice is dangerous if misused.

Liquid nitrogen is about 60 Kelvin. Dry ice about 200.

It's unbelievable. Expect a ban.
>> Liquid nitrogen is about 60 Kelvin. Dry ice about 200.
>>
>> It's unbelievable. Expect a ban.

I had approx same thought albeit without exact figures for liquid nitrogen.

How on earth did this usage get past a risk assessment.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - John H
>> How on earth did this usage get past a risk assessment.
>>

?
risk assessment?
?

Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - madf
I can't believe the HSE passed it off...
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - DP
As I have got older, I find that what you drink is as important as how much of it, at least in terms of how it makes you feel, and behave.

I am generally a happy drunk. I've never in my entire life started a fight or even a row through being drunk. I generally get very silly, followed by very sleepy. That's about it. Unless I drink whisky when I become irritable and snappy. So much so, that SWMBO. who likes a drink herself, and is completely relaxed about me drinking, prefers me not to touch the stuff. I take her advice, even though a good single malt Irish whisky is one of life's true pleasures.

I don't get progressively drunk on Vodka. I am sober one minute, then falling down, "I would have stopped three drinks ago if I'd seen this coming, because this is just unpleasant" drunk the next. I avoid Vodka for this reason.

Lager is also out. Whether its the preservatives or other crap they pump it full of, I can no longer drink it in any quantity. An ice cold 330ml bottle over lunch on a hot day in a pub garden is fine, but if I have three or four pints of it on an evening out, the next morning feels like a Japanese Kodō drummer is beating away inside my head. And this is accompanied by rotten guts, and a mouth that feels as if all its internal surfaces have been replaced with sandpaper. Yet, on one of my relatively frequent trips to Germany, I can drink Weissbier until I fall over, and wake up feeling no effects other than a little fatigue from the late night. Something to do with the strict purity laws, I suspect.

The last time I got properly drunk on lager was about a year ago. I went out on Friday night after work with some colleagues, and felt rough as a bear's backside until Sunday afternoon, completely writing off Saturday. It just wasn't worth it, and consequently I haven't drunk more than four pints of it in one evening since.In the last six months, my lager consumption, averaged over a typical month, might amount to a pint. Most months, it's less.

White wine gives me severe heartburn, but red. Oh, lovely red. SWMBO and I will often polish off a couple of bottles of red between us on a Friday or Saturday night, and I can wake up at 7:00 am fully functional and feeling fine.

Last edited by: DP on Mon 8 Oct 12 at 14:27
To say this should be banned and it should not have been allowed etc. No doubt it will be banned but how can you legislate for stupidity on the part of a bar and the clients. We can all think of things that should not be drunk, eaten done etc.

As Z says, probably meant to boil off before it is drunk. But the risk was someone would not wait or did not even realise they had to.

I am somewhat surprised this could be used in a drink on sale in a bar. But being the UK on the other hand not much surprised me much.
As Z says, probably meant to boil off before it is drunk

That's what R4 said this morning - mind you they re Zionist lefites so take with a pinch of salt ! :-)
This tragedy possibly highlights the poor scientific knowledge of many. They probably do not realise how cold liquid nitrogen is and what it could do to you. They probably think it's quite 'cool' (not cold).

What they are forgetting is the person handling the flask containing it will have a really thick insulated glove on.

I can imagine how the N boiling off might look. But I'd not drink a cocktail prepared in this way. I know how cold the liquid N is!
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - Bigtee
Never taken drugs including smoking a joint, never smoked but i do love a drink now and again.

Have been seen at the asda buying 18 cans on a weekday us shift workers have to work weekends through the week drinking seems normal to me.

Must have had near on 12 pints Saturday night was piffed as a fart and happy no fighting no arguments but did put the world to rights.!

Rough as a bears back side Sunday though not doing this often but do drink a bit too much at times think it's because of the strict rules on the railways of no drinking when we get a day or a few off go crackers. :-)
I know a London Underground train driver who is an alcoholic and has been for nigh-on 20 years.

He drinks sooo much that he's often over the d/d limit next day but, he's never had an accident (to my knowledge)
>> I know a London Underground train driver who is an alcoholic and has been for
>> nigh-on 20 years.
>>
>> He drinks sooo much that he's often over the d/d limit next day but, he's
>> never had an accident (to my knowledge)

Surprised he's got away with it so long. Apart from possibilty of being reported by a colleague or suspicion being formed via smell I thought random testing was in place.

If he's involved in an incident than breathlyser is routine according to any accident investigation report I've seen.

Rail staff very wary of cannabis. Few years ago kids and I were travelling to London. Some yoofs got on a Bletchley and lit up spliffs. Guard moved us to first class and called BTP but was also keen to get my name and address as a witness of events in case a subsequent test showed evidence of cannabis.
I suppose the answer is that, being an alcoholic, he needs his drink just to be 'normal'.

And, I dare say his colleagues know about him but (A) he's a likeable chap, and (B) he's a BIG geezer!

:-))
I don't suppose the detail of the accident will ever be known, but I imagine the idea is to use very small amounts of liquid N that boil off pretty much instantly with a rapid chilling effect on the surrounding liquids.

You'd have to suspect that the proportions were wrong here, possibly much more N used than intended. I wonder if they have some kind of metered dispense or if they just slosh it around?

All assuming of course that they actually put the N in the drink, which itself I find incredible. Shirley they aren't meant to?
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - sooty123
Liquid N2 is something I can't say I've seen used in drinks. I seen and had a couple with dry ice in, not great very heavy feeling in the stomach like swallowing a bowling ball.
Just watched BBC news..... A "mixologist" FFS !?
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - sooty123
Of course you need to one for such things.
I wonder if this barman has a couple of screws loose.Liquid N in a drink crazy.
 Alcohol. How much can be tolerated. - smokie
OT - was watching one of those Emergency Services programs the other night - youngster being admitted to cells for theft of a bandage from Tesco - she needed the bandage because she was following the local craze of putting salt and ice on her forearm arm, which reacts - so she had - wait for it - burns.

I suppose we all do stupid things when we were young, I know I did. In fact I still do, but less so, and more aware of risk (but not always). I don't *think* I'd have drunk liquid whatever, but after a few, you never know... life's too short to carry out a full risk assessment on everything you do, but not doing one can shorten life!
I would expect any quantity of liquid nitrogen in a glass to feel harmfully cold on the face, with the potential to burn.

Might this girl have been the victim of a foolish and spiteful practical joke? Like the workers with dumb thuggish mates accidentally injured by high-pressure airlines up the jaxie.
If the end result was through joking around of 'friends' or someone preparing a lethal drink... I hope there is a custodial sentence. More likely an accident....?
>>What they are forgetting is the person handling the flask containing it will have a really thick insulated glove on.
>>
For many years my doctors surgery has a large cylinder of LN.
The nurse has a small insulated cannister ( Coca Cola can sized ) that is charged from the large cylinder and this is then used to zap skin tags etc.
No thick gloves in sight.
Only seen thick gloves used in TV progs.
> The nurse has a small insulated cannister

.... so the nurse is not handling the liquid nitrogen. Safety has been thought of there.

Try putting the liquid nitrogen into a glass without gloves. I dare you.
So, not actually a new idea then..........

www.moundalexis.com/tm/2007/06/09/liquid-nitrogen-drinks-a-recipe-for-progressive-screwdrivers/
And just for the avoidance of doubt, the only thing that would put me off trying it is the amount of effort involved.
youtu.be/zLWEemhtdbE

This guy has a fair number of LN2 experiments, including the Leidenfrost effect (dipping hands into LN2 without damage) and some other cool chemistry.
Latest Forum Posts