Non-motoring > Moss Killer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 18

Moss Killer - Ambo
Moss on my driveway is very slippery when wet and I have a swollen ankle from a fall to prove it.The growth is fairly easy to scrape off with a spade but what product is best to inhibit it from growing in the first place please? There are largish, continuous areas to treat, rather than just joints between blocks. Are these products pet-friendly?
 Moss Killer - FocalPoint
You must avoid ferrous sulphate, which is good for moss-control in lawns, but will badly stain patios and similar surfaces.

from www.pavingexpert.com/maintain_02.htm -

"There are mosskillers that do not rely on ferrous sulphate. Armillotox is one such product that is popular with gardeners as it has pesticide properties that got it into trouble with the EU for a period, but it is now sold as a cleaner, rather than a pesticide. Jeyes' Fluid is another, similar product that may be more readily available. As far as is known, neither of these products has a deleterious effect on the paving itself."
 Moss Killer - CGNorwich
I would go for Jeyes fluid. Smells a bit like a public toilet but does kill moss. You really need to physically scrape off as much you can first before applying. Presumably the drive is shaded and north facing so the moss will come back. No way to keep it away permanently afaiaa.
 Moss Killer - Clk Sec
I was going to suggest Jeyes Fluid myself, but having checked the details on the tin of it that I have in my garage, there is no mention of its ability to kill moss.

I bought quite a bit of the stuff myself last year because someone recommended it as a weedkiller, but it didn't work very well for me.

It's reasonably priced in Wilkinson's. A good bit cheaper than Sainsbury's or the DIY sheds.

I guess if it worked on Norfolk moss, it's worth a try.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 7 Oct 12 at 15:35
 Moss Killer - Falkirk Bairn
The ashes from my coal boiler, sprinkled on, leave for a couple of hours and brush off ashes and moss. First shower of rain gets rid of the fine powder remains, job done.
 Moss Killer - devonite
Get yerself a Reindeer! - they`ve a Lichen for it!
 Moss Killer - CGNorwich
"I was going to suggest Jeyes Fluid myself, but having checked the details on the tin of it that I have in my garage, there is no mention of its ability to kill moss."

That's because the active ingredient is no longer licensed for use as a moss killer or soil steriliser so they can't advertise it as such in the same way it would be illegal to advertise bleach or salt for killing plants . It still works though. You might be arrested by the government misuse of cleaning materials squad but they're not so active these days what with the cutbacks.

Moss Killer - madf
Diluted bleach works wonders and removes stains: makes stones look new.

cheap too.

great for green mould and lichen as well.
 Moss Killer - L'escargot
After spending several days laboriously cleaning/sweeping the moss out of the joints of our block paved drive a few weeks ago, it's starting to grow again. I'm going to try some Armillatox. www.armillatox.com/
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 8 Oct 12 at 07:22
 Moss Killer - Dog
If ye had light limestone chippings like me, you wouldn't have to bother.

:-))
 Moss Killer - henry k
>> If ye had light limestone chippings like me, you wouldn't have to bother.
>>
>> :-))
>>
My slabs are on concrete so I just use the pressure sprayer twice a year on the North side.

My front (South ) side has suffered a little but not by moss.
Inspite of having steel mesh in the concrete a tree root has burst up , lifting and splitting a couple of slaps. Nature has a way of keeping you busy.
 Moss Killer - Dog
>>Nature has a way of keeping you busy<<

Tell me about it - I still have to go around and spray weed killer on the critters, or I'd have little trees coming up!
 Moss Killer - L'escargot
>> ........ limestone chippings .........

Cheap and nasty.
 Moss Killer - CGNorwich
Armillatox and Jeyes fluid contain the same active ingredient - Coal tar acid. As I said above not licensed for killing moss but can be sold as an outside cleaner that happens to clear moss but son't tell anyone.
 Moss Killer - Ambo
Many thanks for all of the above. The job becomes urgent, now I find the swollen ankle is in fact a broken one. I have been fitted with a kind of Denver Boot, walking with which is more uncomfortable than walking on the break, but I digress.
 Moss Killer - Clk Sec
Best give the jogging a miss for a while. All the best, draiber.
 Moss Killer - Zero
>> Best give the jogging a miss for a while. All the best, draiber.

Pfft. I broke my left Ankle in Italy, and then drove back to the uk. The boot is handy for later use, gets you priority boarding on Sleazy jet.
 Moss Killer - Clk Sec
>>Pfft. I broke my left Ankle in Italy, and then drove back to the uk.

Ah, but draiber is a tad older than you.
 Moss Killer - Dog
Sorry to hear that - take it easy fella!
Latest Forum Posts