Non-motoring > I need a large adjustable metal ring clip Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 17

I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - TheManWithNoName
I have a terracotta tub that despite its frost resistant claim has cracked down one side but not all the way to bottom.

Its being held together by roots from the plant growing in it.

I'm loath to remove said plant and attempt to repair the pot so I wondered if there was such as thing as a giant jubilee clip or other adjustable metal ring that I could place over the pot and slowly screw tightly to bring the pot together again.

Any bright ideas gratefully received.

TMWNN
 I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - CGNorwich

I think it's probably time to splash out on a new pot. I lost half a dozen or so this year.
 I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - FotheringtonTomas
You could use several large "Jubilee clips" undone and joined together.

You could pull wire tightly around the thing (several times)and solder it.

You could pull polythene twine around it (several times) and knot it off.

You could get a length of suitable metal strapping, bolt/rivet/weld it to a slightly smaller diameter, and imitate the wheelright by "shrinking it on".
 I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - Cockle
I think the thing you're looking for is called Screw Banding, it is used for fixing signs to things like concrete lampposts and is just like a large jubilee clip, you just cut the band to the required length and fit the clip.

Have a look at it on www.signfix.co.uk
 I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - sherlock47
How about a super size nylon cable tie? The best place to get them is to look for old ones on lamp posts or street furniture.

I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - Dog
www.speedyhire.com/Tools-&-Equipment/General-Building-&-Roadworks/Tape-Banding-Machine/p-1-10-20-218/
 I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - crocks
Screw banding also available here.
www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/navigation.asp?fType=Fasteners&MainCategoryID=56399

Essentially do-it-yourself jubilee clips up to 5m long.
Some great answers. Thank you all!

I like the idea of the screw banding. It was the kind of thing I was after but just couldn't think of the terminology.

I think Cockle gets deserves a virtual pint for his suggestion.

Yes, I could just buy another pot but I'm one of these people who would prefer to try and fix something first rather than just chuck it out without trying.

Just as long as screw bands are cheaper than a new pot of course.
 I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - Zero
YOu could always buy a wheel, and a kiln and throw your own pots?
Can I get a free Demi Moor with it too?
err I think you need to be deceased first.
 I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - L'escargot
This goes up to 3 metres long. tinyurl.com/36unb43
 I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - Bigtee
A ratchet strap or failing that go buy a new one your tighter than me.! lol.....
 I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - Clk Sec
Do you have any leather belts that you no longer use?
 I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - bathtub tom
A 'chain' of cable ties?
 I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - Ted

I assume it's a brown pot. try a bead of brown silicone in the crack and then hold it together with a chain of tie wraps. You can even get brown ones ! I have some here in the National Tiewrap Collection.
SWMBO found a thin copper strip, about an inch deep and self adhesive. It's to stop snails climbing up and it works. (Sorry, Les.)
Might be enough to hold the pot when the tie wraps are removed and you'll have the snail free bonus !

Ted
Plastic covered gardening wire, used to train and support plants. Its thick and strong. Just loop some round and twist it tight with pliers.
 I need a large adjustable metal ring clip - Dulwich Estate
1) Remove plant with root bound earth ball and lay to one side.
2) Carefully clean pot with warm water.
3) When dry, salvage any bits that fell off and glue pot together with epoxy resin. Temporarily hold pot together with plastic coated garden wire or stripped out wire from twin & earth cable. Ensure wire is tightly twisted with pliers to bring pot together.
4) When glue set, re-pot plant.
5) Replace pot in original position and remove wire tie.
Latest Forum Posts