Non-motoring > Aldi Stuff again Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 50

Aldi Stuff again - borasport
Called in to Aldi at lunchtime and they had some sort of 'action cam' for strapping on to bikes and climbing helmets etc at £49.99. They were in a locked cabinet and i couldn't get close enough to see the spec - I thought I'd come back to work and gen up on them, but I can't find any mention of them on Aldi's web site or on any of their newsletters. Does anybody know anything about them - picture quality, recording time, battery life, that sort of thing ?
 Aldi Stuff again - Stuartli
See:

aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys2_12511.htm

Also:

fwd.five.tv/gadgets/audio-video/cameras/camcorders/oregon-scientific-atc2k

Apparently remaining stocks now reduced to £39.99 by Aldi.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 11 May 10 at 20:36
 Aldi Stuff again - R.P.
Well regarded kit by the motorcycling community.
Cheers

of course, they've all gone from the nearest Aldi now.........
Managed to pick one up yesterday. Image quality surprisingly good for the size.

I'd like to meet the man who designed the plastic packaging so I could shake him by the neck.....
 Aldi Stuff again - Tooslow
"I'd like to meet the man who designed the plastic packaging so I could shake him by the neck".

Ah. let me guess. It's one of those rigid plastic things with the goods in a bubble. It looks as though you may be able to just cut open the edge and then you're in but then it turns out that it's sealed down everywhere except at the bubble. You might be able to start a hole with a pair of scissors but maybe it's a Stanley knife job. You go at it carefully because you don't want to carve up you new purchase. Then, as you reach a corner and turn the knife / scissors you find that the plastic is as sharp as a razor :-(

And don't mention DVD packaging.

JH
That's a pretty accurate supposition - have you been watching me ? ;-)

B, I could say it's called "life" or I could come clean and suggest you check your webcam settings :-)

JH
 Aldi Stuff again - Pat
I think all packaging should be banned.

Bring back the brown paper bag.

You sit there, having awarded yourself the ultimate treat, a Cadbury's Flake.

A big one, not a fun size one, and guess what, they've sealed the ends of those too now and you fumble, and curse and fumble and curse and ...........get thin, I suppose.

Pat
Stop it! Now I want one :-(

JH
 Aldi Stuff again - swiss tony
>> Stop it! Now I want one :-(
>>
>> JH
>>

A Flake?
Yes, a flake. But I've got over it now.

I'm not really big on chocolate or sweets but now and again I can be tempted.

On the sweets / packaging theme I don't eat Opal Fruits (or whatever they're called) cos I can't get into the darned things. Pastilles rule, ok?

JH
 Aldi Stuff again - Zero
>> a Cadbury's Flake. A big one, not a fun size one, and guess what, they've sealed the ends
>> of those too now and you fumble, and curse and fumble and curse and ...........get
>> thin, I suppose.

you pinch the sides with your fingernails, and pull aprt and it rips along the seam at the top. You then push the fl;ake up from the bottom and eat it, and when finished you7 tip the contents of the tube into your mouth,
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 15 May 10 at 03:19
 Aldi Stuff again - Pat
You failed at the first hurdle Z ( unlike Ted who would jave understood!).
It is impossible to 'pinch' anything with arthritic fingers!
Scissors are my friend:)
And just to be aware that we're in the wrong forum for this discussion a KEYBOARD is better than a pen!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sat 15 May 10 at 05:54
 Aldi Stuff again - Ted

Packaging ?....Schmackaging ! I hate it.
Worst I had was a packet of large safety pins, half a dozen threaded onto one and then put on a card and vacuum packed.

Don't even think of asking what they were for !

Ted
Some of the worse examples are the cellophane packets for rice, pasta etc - quite often the cellophane splits along one or both sides and spills much of the contents.
 Aldi Stuff again - Zero
And uncooked rice gets EVERYWHERE.
 Aldi Stuff again - Pat
Paracetomol child proof tubs, try undoing them with fingers that don't work to ease the pain of fingers that don't work.

Bleach, squeeze top and push, no chance at all.

Milk in plastic bottles, get the top off and find a foil cover with a tiny tab on it which has to be spiked with a fork.

Perscribed blood pressure tablets in foil packs that have to be popped out, guaranteed to make the blood pressure rise after 15 mins of trying to push it out, it flies across the room and the cat eats it.

I could go on:)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sat 15 May 10 at 17:59
 Aldi Stuff again - Iffy
...Prescribed blood pressure tablets in foil packs...

Pat,

I'm on a tablet or two.

Do you have a set of daily pill trays?

I have one into which I can get two weeks' worth.

You've still got to un-pop the same number of tablets.

But I reckon it's easier to sit down for 20 minutes each week or fortnight and load up the trays, rather than doing it every day.

Also means your pills are to hand if you go away for a night or two.

Aldi Stuff again - Zero
>> Also means your pills are to hand if you go away for a night or
>> two.

Go away? sounds like she can barely move!
 Aldi Stuff again - CGNorwich
Take a look at this Pat.

Just tried the the first for push down and twist and it works brilliantly.

www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-Evil-Childproof-caps-easy-to-open/

Aldi Stuff again - Ted

I do 28 days at a time, 7 tablets a day with 3 more at bedtime.
Enteric aspirin are worst.....I don't think they really want you to take them.

I bought a bottle of tablets to increase my strength..............I couldn't get the top off !

I'll get me burkha.

Ted
 Aldi Stuff again - Pat
Thanks IIH, that is a good idea.
I used to keep one set in the lorry for Monday to Friday and another at home for weekends but now I'm home all the time it would be a good idea to do it that way. One of mine has to be taken as soon as I get up and that is just the worst time for doing anything like that ( hence the early morning typos!)

Z, I will rise above you're remark:)

CG, what an interesting website! I love the drawing pin method but I'm intrigued as to how it works?

A tip for anyone else, a wheatbag works better than painkillers. Two minutes in the microwave and a couple of hours of bliss.

I love the way thread drift is allowed on here!

Pat
 Aldi Stuff again - bathtub tom
>>A tip for anyone else, a wheatbag works better than painkillers.

Sister-in-law had one of these inside a cuddly rabbit soft toy. We found she was putting the whole thing in the microwave as she hadn't discovered the velcro flap to remove the bag.

Had visions of the thing sitting there, slowly turning round with it's eyes flashing, shades of Chucky.
 Aldi Stuff again - Pat
I have one in a small pink pig that just fits in two cupped hands. His name is Charlie Pig and he goes into the microwave complete because it's too fiddly to remove the inner bit.
He's never come out as crackling though!

Pat
 Aldi Stuff again - henry k
We have a bright red lobster. A great design as for neck problems you can wrap the claws
round either side. I hope the neigbours do not see me :-)
 Aldi Stuff again - MD
>> Milk in plastic bottles, get the top off and find a foil cover with a
>> tiny tab on it which has to be spiked with a fork.

Just yesterday morning I had the milk thing. I remarked to management just how do old folk get these chuffing things off, she just looked at me and said nowt.

52 old! How dare she.

Martin
 Aldi Stuff again - Pat
Are you implying that I'm old Martin:)

I'm not, it's just that parts of me were made too early!

Pat
 Aldi Stuff again - Iffy
What is a wheatbag?
 Aldi Stuff again - Zero
Its a bag of wheat that you heat in the microwave. You then take it out and place it on the joint of choice thats causing you problems, where the stored heat eases the problem.

YOu can get quite large ones that spread round the neck or over the shoulders.
 Aldi Stuff again - Iffy
Thanks, Zero.

I'd have thought a hot water bottle would do the same job of supplying heat to a smallish area.

Perhaps the wheat discharges a different type of heat.
 Aldi Stuff again - Zero
the wheat things are quick to heat, and they mould very well to skin, body frame and joint contours, where a hot water bottle doesent.

Plusd they come with lovely fluffy covers, and they dont smell like a rubber fetishes orgy.
 Aldi Stuff again - swiss tony
>> Plusd they come with lovely fluffy covers, and they dont smell like a rubber fetishes
>> orgy.
>>

And just how do you know what a rubber fetishes orgy smells like?
 Aldi Stuff again - Zero
BBD told me
Try wrapping a hot water bottle around your neck so it stays on a particular area...:-)

The microwaveable bags are much easier and retain heat for some time, which was a boon for my other half.
 Aldi Stuff again - MD
>> Are you implying that I'm old Martin:)
>>
>> I'm not, it's just that parts of me were made too early!
>>
>> Pat
>>
NO Pat. That 52 thing was pointed at myself. Please re-read. I wouldn't be so rude to a Lady.

Best regards..............Martin
 Aldi Stuff again - Ted

Packaging related misery on Friday. had a couple of small tins of genuine Spam in the fridge and decided to treat meself to a Spam butty for lunch.
Ring pull now. Too strong for fingers so put a knife handle in as a lever.
Ring pull snapped off.....OK, tin-opener...er no, not a round tin, the ' flange ' doesn't seem to be designed for it either.
Try the bottom, clipped on OK but too tight.....broke the connection between twistgrip and cutter....bums!
Used the tin-opener as a crimper all the way round the tin.....that worked and the new ' lid ' and the spam dropped out easily....onto the floor!
Cleaned it up under the cold tap and it was actually quite enjoyable !

Cost me a new tin-opener though........cheese next time and not via the Amtico.

Ted
 Aldi Stuff again - Dog
((I do 28 days at a time, 7 tablets a day with 3 more at bedtime.))

Have you ever considered changing your handle to Rattle.

:-D
 Aldi Stuff again - Iffy
..Have you ever considered changing your handle to Rattle...

Dog,

You're just jealous because you no longer get Bob Martin.
 Aldi Stuff again - Dog
>>You're just jealous because you no longer get Bob Martin.<<

S'ok, cos I'm into James Wellbeloved now ;-)
 Aldi Stuff again - henry k
>>....Ring pull now. Too strong for fingers so put a knife handle in as a lever.
Ring pull snapped off.....OK,......
Could it be operator error. Ring pulls on food cans are push 180% then pull.
Be there done that :-0
 Aldi Stuff again - Ted

Yeah, did the 180 but still no good.....don't forget I have a BSc (Hons ) in ' Getting at Food '
Now the Jowett's running, I was thinking of a change to ' Rumble of the Mains '
No longer silent..... apart from needing a new water pump before MOT !

Ted
 Aldi Stuff again - Clk Sec
A curse, or three, on ring pulls. As a lover of sardines on toast, having cut myself on numerous occasions and splattered newly laundered shirts with tomato juice, it's the tin opener for me nowadays.

Doesn't work with the Kenwood, though.
 Aldi Stuff again - FotheringtonTomas
You can get a "thing" for getting ring-pull tin lids off.

Here you are:

www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/!4418

Available at other places, too.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Mon 17 May 10 at 13:30
 Aldi Stuff again - R.P.
Lakeland do a cracking banana bag as well - wouldn't be without it !
 Aldi Stuff again - Ted

.....and, Rob, for the larger gentleman....

www.lakeland.co.uk/banana-guard/F/product/10380

Suit you, Sir ?

Ted
 Aldi Stuff again - Runfer D'Hills
Do bananas have a standard curvature then ? Never knew that. Always thought they would be more randomly bent. Quite disappointing really.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Mon 17 May 10 at 15:43
 Aldi Stuff again - Ted
I think you can probably tease them into a suitable shape for the device.

Taking care, of course, that they don't spring back and take your eye out !"

Ted
 Aldi Stuff again - Zero
we have a wooden banana hanger, you hook your bunch on it, and it hangs free preventing brusing as they ripen.
 Aldi Stuff again - Iffy
...a cracking banana bag...

What on earth for?

The bananas I buy each come in their own made to measure wrapper which is easy to open and bio-degradable.

Aldi Stuff again - R.P.
Iffy, if you live some distance from your Banana emporium, you buy two bunches, put one in the bag an in the fridge, stops them degrading....
Latest Forum Posts