Non-motoring > Jimmy Savile. Vol 4.   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 101

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 5 *****

Further discussion.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 25 Oct 12 at 21:10

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - No FM2R
>>How else do you deal with such things except by trying to put a cash value on them?

The thing is, if they'd just been wronged, in this case abused, then I think they deserve money.

But, when it seems as if their only motivation in coming forward is money, then even though they've suffered the same wrong, it becomes annoying.

And when a lawyer says she's "been contacted by several victims" I tend to think, no you haven't, not really, you've had your assistant calling around giving out your number.

And again, that's not what bothers me, its the sanctimonous "its not about the money I'm only here to save the abused" thing that gets me.
 Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Focusless
Mark
>> However, did you notice how strong Clare Balding's response was? There's a story behind that, I feel.

I'm guessing they've commented on her appearance and sexuality (which isn't a secret) in the past.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - mikeyb
Given the timescales and the fact hes dead, I wonder how many may be motivated by cash to suggest that they were victims when in fact, they just came into contact with him?

If someone who was in a situation that he had access to them in the 70's then it must be very difficult to prove / disprove anything happened
 Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Zero
>> Given the timescales and the fact hes dead, I wonder how many may be motivated
>> by cash to suggest that they were victims when in fact, they just came into
>> contact with him?
>>
>> If someone who was in a situation that he had access to them in the
>> 70's then it must be very difficult to prove / disprove anything happened

But you need to prove it did to get money.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - CGNorwich
"But you need to prove it did to get money."

I here that "Jim fixed it for me" medals are commanding good prices on ebay. Useful to back up the claim apparently.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Bromptonaut
Guardian piece today by son of late George Carman QC. Posits theory that fear of litigation and specifically GC's cross examination skills deterred a theoretically substantiated press expose of Savile's habits.

www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/14/dominic-carman-jimmy-savile-and-my-father

Compares with Len Fairclough actor and his escape from similar allegations.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 15 Oct 12 at 11:48

Quack quack oops - smokie
And now the Hairy Cornflake...

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2217746/BBC-sex-scandal-We-groped-Dave-Lee-Travis-claim-BBC-women-sex-abuse-scandal-deepens.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Gotta admire his taste, mind, that Vivien "... who went on to become a presenter on Sky News – has claimed Travis ‘jiggled her breasts’ when she was live on Radio 4 in the 1980s." I'm sure some of this that is now so offensive was just horseplay in it's time - she was delivering Woman's Hour apparently. OK, I wouldn't have done it, but then I am not as flamboyant as some of the individuals involved.

Also mentioned is Camilla Long - I googled her cos I don't know her, seems she is a bit spiteful and not a very nice person according to a number of links.

Quack quack oops - Haywain
Yep, as feared, they're all coming out of the woodwork now with their stories. Much of what was commonplace in the 70s (I won't say 'accepted') is no longer acceptable. Time to draw a line under it, like the Austin Allegro, and move on.

All this additional stuff is detracting from the seriously unpleasant activities of Savile. I'm not sure that we should blame the BBC, the NHS or anyone else; Savile successfully conned everyone - including the vast majority of the public. And, let's face it, the British public are exceptionally gullible - you've only got to look at the number of expenses-fiddling MPs who were re-elected to parliament.

POST refers to the DLT claims...
Last edited by: Haywain on Mon 15 Oct 12 at 14:32

Quack quack oops - devonite
>>expenses-fiddling MPs who were re-elected to parliament.

Well, they`re all going to try it on! - perks of the job!
might as well be the ones we already know about and can keep our eyes on!

"Well, they`re all going to try it on! - perks of the job!"

Like 'breast-jiggling' was considered to be one of the perks of being a 70s DJ.

If Sovile were still alive, we'd certainly be keeping an eye on him!

Quack quack oops - Harleyman
Surprised Vine's taken so long to jump on the band-waggon. He's usually driving the damn thing.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/jimmy-savile/9609141/Jimmy-Savile-could-be-one-of-the-most-serious-predatory-paedophiles-in-criminal-history-says-Jeremy-Vine.html

And since he's an investigative journalist who's been there for 25 years.... surely he must have known something?

Quack quack oops - No FM2R
>>Much of what was commonplace in the 70s (I won't say 'accepted') is no longer acceptable

I agree.

I have no idea about this particular piece of "juggling", but I certainly remember that in the 70s that offices were *quite* difference places insofar as behaviour was concerned. And most of it would be completely unacceptable today.

There is a world of difference between that, which may or may not cover DLT's alleged activities, and abuse of underage girls.

The worry is that because the media can have fun with "juggling", it not being subject to investigation or legal action, and not with the latter (being the subject of investigation, potential legal action and potential SOHF of the public), that it will overshadow the seriousness of what Saville is alleged to have done.

BTW, I still don't understand the humour of mis-spelling; Sovile, Main S-tealers, Hal-frauds etc. etc.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 15 Oct 12 at 15:41

Quack quack oops - Manatee
>> BTW, I still don't understand the humour of mis-spelling; Sovile, Main S-tealers, Hal-frauds etc. etc.

You understand, but don't find it funny?

Very few jokes stand constant repetition. That said I was given the Barry Cryer Comedy Scrapbook on Saturday, and laughed, not for the first time, at Barry's alleged favourite joke - a motoring one -

A man in his car out in the country runs over a cockerel. He goes to the farmhouse and knocks on the door. The farmer's wife answers.
''I'm most dreadfully sorry but I appear to have killed your cockerel. I'd like to replace it''
''Please yourself'' she replied ''The hens are round the back''

>> You understand, but don't find it funny?

Well yes, I understand but don't find it funny. Is it supposed to be?

>> Very few jokes stand constant repetition.

Sadly, this does not stop them being repeated, frequently by me.

>>>> A man in his car out in the country runs over a cockerel.

Heard it before, still laughed.

I like...

I used to have a dog called Minton.
He ate all my shuttlecocks.

Bad Minton!

My wife, strangely, doesn't.
"BTW, I still don't understand the humour of mis-spelling; Sovile, Main S-tealers, Hal-frauds etc. etc."

I didn't say 'juggling', NoFM2R, I said 'jiggling' - I wish people would stop moving letters around! If you aren't familiar with the jiggling story, look on the Daily Wail website. Oops, I've done it again!

You so did, Haywain. Strangely, I also thought I typed "jiggling". But since my typing degenerated so badly, I've been spell checking stuff. I guess it or I screwed up.

Quack quack oops - VxFan
>> Strangely, I also thought I typed "jiggling".

Watch it, or someone will pull you up about your misspelling of a word. Happened to me the other week when I mispelt something. All I did was got one letter wrong in the word and they wouldn't shut up about it ;)

Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 16 Oct 12 at 01:55

Quack quack oops - Zero

>> And since he's an investigative journalist who's been there for 25 years.... surely he must
>> have known something?

Jeremy Vine dont know his ass from his elbow

Quack quack oops - R.P.
I've heard him make some pretty dumb assumptions on his lunch-time phone in (when I had time to listen to it) - one really dumb one, stopped listening to it after that.

Quack quack oops - Focusless
>> If Sovile were still alive, we'd certainly be keeping an eye on him!

If he was still alive we all might be none the wiser.

Quack quack oops - R.P.
If he was still alive he'd have no signal and wish that someone had fixed it for him to be buried with a shovel at least.....
 Quack quack oops - Bromptonaut
>> And now the Hairy Cornflake...

Who reportedly wholly refutes the allegation.

He means denies Shirley!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 15 Oct 12 at 16:18

Quack quack oops - Pat
Is it going to be Tony Blackburn next...is that why Iffy's gone awol:)

Pat
 Quack quack oops - rtj70
I'd not come across this before:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9589207/Jimmy-Savile-abuse-audio-recording-emerges.html

The more I hear/read the more you realise with hindsight a lot of people should have known (and some did know) and done something about him decades ago.

If anyone saw Have I Got New for You they claimed he has references to what he did in his own autobiography. And showed the clip of what he said when he was on the show.

But whatever happens nothing gets done to him but at least he'll be remembered for the right reasons so to speak - what he did was wrong. And if anyone else is alive that did wrong then I hope they get investigated properly.

"Casting a stain" - smokie
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19948782

Labour's deputy leader Harriet Harman said the claims "cast a stain" on the corporation.

Well, maybe they can find some DNA in it?
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 15 Oct 12 at 17:33

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - L'escargot
Now that Jimmy Savile is seen in some quarters as having been despicable, perhaps all the money he donated to charities should be returned to his estate.

I know he helped raise millions, but did he donate much? Or are you suggesting money he helped fundraise should be returned as well?

Either way, this seems like a better idea:
www.metro.co.uk/news/914337-jimmy-savile-charities-to-change-name-and-donate-to-sex-abuse-victims

>> ...... but did he donate much?

It was once estimated that up to 90% of his own income was given away. www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/8857428/Sir-Jimmy-Savile.html

I think the conclusion was that he did what he did is now inescapable L'es.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Cliff Pope
It's a curious idea that tainted money somehow retains its stain as it passes through the economy. I wonder how far it goes? The taxman doesn't seem to mind living off immoral earnings.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Manatee
It seems likely, even certain, that Savile had some unpleasant preferences that he indulged by exploiting the vulnerable in a despicable way. He also did a lot of good, as we were told at length in obits and tributes. He isn't the only philanthropist with a dark side, or if you prefer, the only pervert with a charitable side.

Sickening as the accounts are, what I find sickening now is all the knowing cant from those who were around him in light entertainment.

They either knew, or they didn't.

If they knew, they should have said something, repeatedly if necessary, and they are culpable now and they should tell us why they thought it was OK then to overlook it.

If they didn't know, they should shut up.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - VxFan
This might raise a couple of thumbs down - apologies if anyone is offended.

Out of all the all the txt messages I've received, this one has made me chuckle the most so far.

Our records indicate that you were once felt up by Jimmy Saville and could be entitled to £2147 in compensation.
Just reply "how's about that then" to register or to opt out just text "stop Jimmy stop".
Register before the end of the month and get a free "Lawyers 4 U fixed it for me" medal.

ps, at least on this forum we can discuss JS in both a serious and jovial manner. Another forum I'm on you're not even allowed to mention him. In fact I've been served a 48 hour ban for asking why. Anything JS related just gets deleted and the moderators won't respond to any PMs that I've sent them.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Dutchie
This is bigger than what meets the eye.Was Saville the tip of the iceberg and a pedophile ring was operating from the BBC.? The homes he visited for vunerable girls and did he supply girls for other people.He was a top celebrity the film eyes wide shut come to mind.I doubt if we ever find out how many more top people where involved.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - swiss tony
>> This is bigger than what meets the eye.Was Saville the tip of the iceberg and a pedophile ring was operating from the BBC.?

What worries me more than the possibility of BBC staff knowing/being involved, is hospital bosses perhaps being involved.
Thinking about the freedom to roam around hospitals and being given rooms/offices like he was, I can't help but think hospital bosses were either blind to it or involved, and don't forget that according to nurses they did try and report their worries at the time......

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - smokie
Impossible to not believe it all happened, but, for me, also impossible to believe that quite so many people knew and did nothing, or were prepared to cover up.

It's an ill wind etc. Just think of all the people employed in investigating all the allegations, and all the people and companies involved in reporting all the stories.

Do you think that when there's other big criminal investigations like child abductions and murders L'es? Seems like a funny way of looking at it... TiC?

>> Do you think that when there's other big criminal investigations like child abductions and murders
>> L'es?

I always try to see all sides of any situation.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Roger.
Google "Hollie Grieg".

>> Google "Hollie Grieg".

Confused - stories of a downs syndrome child being abused, and other stories that it's all a hoax. What point(s) are you making?

I really don't understand why the alleged victims waited until Jimmy Savile was dead before making their allegations. As Marcellus said, "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark". I'm going to keep an open mind on the whole affair until all the investigations are complete.

>> I really don't understand why the alleged victims waited until Jimmy Savile was dead before
>> making their allegations.

Quite a few tried reporting it (4 police investigations of some sort I believe), but they didn't get anywhere. As for the ones that didn't, the girls from approved schools probably knew they would come up against opinions such as
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=8395&m=269774

Whether that's a reasonable view or not, it's easy to understand why they didn't bother.
>> As for the ones that didn't, the girls from approved schools
>> probably knew they would come up against opinions such as
>> www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=8395&m=269774

:-D

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - -
Where was all this massive official reaction when young girls were being groomed and passed around for the use of motley groups of animals masquerading as men in certain Northern mill towns?

I see no calls for heads over those cases...maybe lessons will be learned.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Manatee
>>I see no calls for heads over those cases...maybe lessons will be learned.

Particularly worrying as Savile is now water under the bridge. The more recent stuff is still a live issue.

>> >>I see no calls for heads over those cases...maybe lessons will be learned.

The BBC is involved, that makes it political. Also means someone can be blamed. And money extracted.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - -
The other lot is being avoided by politicians and seemingly everyone else like the plague...move along now nothing to see here.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Armel Coussine
>> The BBC is involved, that makes it political.

All the mass media are involved. Hence the fevered, repetitive nature of the wall-to-wall coverage.

Money will be the least of anyone's worries.

'Our Georgie... Mrs Entwistle's little lad'. 'Our Ernie' in the original. Cloth cap, Lancashire dialect I think, Dandy or was it the Beano? Before many here were born anyway.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Kevin
>'Our Georgie... Mrs Entwistle's little lad'.

I watched his efforts in front of the Select Committee today. Oh dear!

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - rtj70
Irrelevant of what Entwistle knew or should have known... he's probably resigned before December IMO. Might be a loss to the BBC but someone senior will go. And his appearance today was poor.

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - No FM2R
oh dear God.

www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a432885/jimmy-savile-branded-a-necrophiliac-by-ex-bbc-colleague.html

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - Bromptonaut
Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist but....

It would suit government well to keep focus on BBC, hence letters from Maria Miller.

The allegations regarding Stoke Mandeville and Broadmoor, particularly the latter are even more concerning. He was appointed by the then Minister (a Conservative, possibly Mrs Bottomley) to the task force reviewing Broadmoor's management. At the time it was seen as a appointment of a famous, popular and probably humane figure to sort out a mess that functioned as neither prison nor hospital.

It seems possible that this gave hime the leverage to acquire keys to locked areas and (if Gambacini were to be right) another outlet. What checks were made. If the BBC knew of his rumoured proclivities then it's likley others shouls have too.

I don't make the point about it being a Conservative politically but they will inevitably see the chance to keep focus on BBC as a diversionary target.

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - Manatee
I thought it was Edwina Curry. But in any case it wasn't a secret so I don't see how whoever could be blamed, unless they were an accomplice to Savile's crimes.

I used to work for a slimy fellow whose comment on a decision he didn't agree with was "I hope that works out all right for you".

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - Crankcase
Necrophiliac? There's no mention of that in the article other than the headline, other than the perhaps unfortunate phrase "grave regret". Did the subeditor look in the wrong dictionary?

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - L'escargot
>> Necrophiliac? There's no mention of that in the article other than the headline, ...........

It sounds to me as if it's the gutter press trying to boost their sales. tinyurl.com/8tawhd8

I'm waiting until all the investigations are finished before I form my opinion.
 Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - Crankcase
L'es, it's certainly true that you have to be a little careful of "facts" that are based on the "because everyone says so" premise.

The BBC website, for example, has another story at the moment, where many believe something to be true, and indeed a selective quote from it is "more than a thousand people insisting they have seen...", but I'm not sure that even that force of numbers would convince most of us that their observations are correct.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19815457

But I still think he did it.

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - R.P.
I've laughed at the indignant Daily Express headlines this week - The owner also owns a porn channel barelylegal or somesuch. Hypocracy.

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - madf
The BBC of course reported at great length and some delight on phone hacking and the resulting serious embarrassment for their principal competitors- Sky and News International. Indeed you could argue they revelled in Leverson on the grounds they - the BBC - were upright and did not do things like that. The Press squirmed.

Boot is on the other foot - can you really blame the Press for revenge? It's not cold of course- Leverson has still to report.

It sounds as if the BBC has multiple management layers who appear incompetent and disjointed...

>> It sounds as if the BBC has multiple management layers who appear incompetent and disjointed...

The DG gave a poor account of himself yesterday and I doubt he'll survive. He seemed ill briefed on numbers of incidents. He and/or commitee members were mixing sex abuse (of minor guests in JLFI/ToTP etc) with sexual harrasment of junior staff.

The latter is serious and still far too prevalent but is no longer 'routine' as i was until mid eighties. The former, while again treated differently in the past, is a timebomb.

The Newsnight thing is a sideshow. Editorial decisions to run or pull items are taken all the time. Frankly, nobody can really remember why it was binned; a mish mash ofreasons. Only now it's blown up does this one look different.

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - neiltoo
>> >> It sounds as if the BBC has multiple management layers who appear incompetent and
>> disjointed...
>>
Not limited to the BBC.

Could be said of most large enterprises in this country.

Particularly, but not exclusively, in the public sector.
 Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - R.P.
From the brief bits and summaries that I saw I thought he seemed a tad confused. Nine cases of sexual harrasmant in a huge organisation like the BBC says one of two things - either it's rampant and no-one reports it or it's almost non-existant.

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - sherlock47
>> >> Necrophiliac? There's no mention of that in the article other than the headline, ...........
>>
>> It sounds to me as if it's the gutter press trying to boost their sales.
>> tinyurl.com/8tawhd8
>>
>> I'm waiting until all the investigations are finished before I form my opinion.
>>

But most of the gutter press readers will not know what it means! (let alone spell it:)

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - Pat
You speak for yourself PMH, even I can highlight, right click and Google:)

Pat

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - Roger.
Let's face it, Savile was dead lucky!

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - Cliff Pope
"It was considered so far beyond the pale that people didn't believe it happened," he said during the 5 Live Breakfast Show.

That may well be the basic reason behind the whole thing. People, and entire societies, have an amazing ability simply to disbelieve things they don't want to be true.

In those days, we didn't want paedophilia to exist. Today, we often err the other way and invent it where it doesn't exist.

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - CGNorwich
"People, and entire societies, have an amazing ability simply to disbelieve things they don't want to be true."

They have an even greater ability to be convinced in the truth of things that are demonstrably untrue. That's how we came to burn witches.

..........and believe in various Sky Pixies.

Would love to be able to see now how all this will look in 1, 2 or 5 years time.

News on way home said DPP's deputy was personally reviewing the Surrey/Sussex cases where CPS decided not to prosecute.

Allegation raised by a witness. Victim traced but wanted no part of it. Another allegation involving inappropriate language and a fourth concerning a young woman who alleged she was unwillingly kissed.

Allegations are surfacing about a senior (current) cabinet member from Ben Fellows , child actor.
Several blogs allegedly have been served with defamation notices by the Cabinet office and have redacted the name.
Hearsay at present, so pinches of salt recommended.
The Cabinet Minister's name IS on the internet and I am aware which one the unsubstantiated allegations are about, but will not post the name here.

Savile branded a necrophiliac by ex-BBC colleague - No FM2R
Many years ago I knew a boy who was a child actor. I'd guess from age 12 - 15 or something like that. He was on a long running children's TV serial.

He used to tell me stories at that time full of sex and drugs and wrong-doing. He was an annoying git, so I never took him seriously and thought he was exagerating everything.

I guess maybe he wasn't.

"Would love to be able to see now how all this will look in 1, 2 or 5 years time. "

A bit like the ritual satanic abuse cases of the 1980's and the accompanying moral panic I suspect.

>> A bit like the ritual satanic abuse cases of the 1980's and the accompanying moral
>> panic I suspect.

Remember the late Sir Stuart Bell.

A friend of mine made a fortune on expenses at the Cleveland Inquiry.

"Remember the late Sir Stuart Bell."

Yes I read his book - think it was called something like "Salem Comes to Middlesborough"

>> ............ Savile is now water under the bridge.

More likely decomposing flesh under the soil.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Mapmaker
Given the self-righteous way that the BBC has criticised other institutions for inappropriate behaviour (e.g. Parliamentary expenses, Roman Catholic church and its priests and sexual abuse) it is nice to see it being brought down a peg or two.

But really, Savile is dead, so what's the point in a police investigation. All these allegations relate to events of decades ago; why is the current DG in fear of his job (Oopsie, 'in hope of a big golden handshake').
>> Given the self-righteous way that the BBC has criticised other institutions for inappropriate behaviour (e.g.
>> Parliamentary expenses, Roman Catholic church and its priests and sexual abuse) it is nice to

Not sure I get the self righteous thing. Parly expenses were pretty egregious wrongdoing. I suspect both you and I would have been satisfied with a straight report of the facts but current paradigm is that public need the graphics and stuff or it goes over their heads.

The Lad's sat behind me reading the sickipdia jokes on Savile.

There's a musical story of his life in prep:

Working title - Fiddler on the Youth.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - rtj70
>> Savile is dead, so what's the point in a police investigation.

Come on you know there's multiple reasons:

- Others involved and still alive
- People knew and could have stopped it and didn't.. and still alive

If anyone is still alive and knew what Savile and others were doing and did not stop it... then I hope they are prosecuted.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - devonite
Well I`m considering whether or not to continue financing a "Corrupt" institution! - if this is how they are going to use my money then I may refuse to pay it (licence fee) - I`ll take my day in court and tell `em why, if I get done so be it

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Mapmaker

>> If anyone is still alive and knew what Savile and others were doing and did
>> not stop it... then I hope they are prosecuted.
>>

Starting with the woman who was interviewed by Panorama (?) who had 'watched Gary Glitter having s3x with a child' and did nothing about it.

When I was young, an unsavoury character known by us kids as Bummer Bill used to roam the local common land which was our recreational area. (This was in the days before televisions, computer games etc, and when we had to go out and make our own enjoyment!) We just gave him a wide berth. We were streetwise and none of our gang was ever sexually abused.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Pat
I understand that L'es but had one of your children been in hospital 30,20,10 years ago or even now, you are fully entitled to expect them to be safe from perverts while in the authorities care.

There seems to be some who seek to deny there was ever any wrong doing, yet fail to see just how guilty so many people were, who were in positions of trust with our children.

Surely every parent should be able to trust in the care a hospital gives their offspring?

Pat

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Dog
>>Bummer Bill<<

Reminds me of Bummer Preston, a teacher at my skool, he used to feel ya bum to see if y'all had any exercise books down ya troosers before he gave y'all a whacking.

I used to wear me Levi's under me school strides if I thought I was in for a caning.

:-))

>> Reminds me of Bummer Preston, a teacher at my skool, he used to feel ya
>> bum to see if y'all had any exercise books down ya troosers before he gave
>> y'all a whacking.

I only had the cane once. (I made sure it didn't happen again!) I had to bend over the headmaster's desk while he gave me three strokes of the cane. I checked my bum afterwards and there were three equally spaced weals about an inch apart. The headmaster (the only person in the school allowed to use a cane) was an expert! I didn't dare tell my parents or I'd have got a clip round the ear from my Dad as well.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 25 Oct 12 at 08:45

I got he cane once - soceity had progressed and it was across the palm of my hand. The PT teacher was a true sadist, used to whack us with cricket bats. I knew him in later life, he was a drunk. Had Sunbeam Alpine though.

I got the cane a couple of times, I know it hurt but I cant remember why I got it, so clearly it was a waste of time.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 25 Oct 12 at 09:09

>> I got the cane a couple of times, I know it hurt but I cant
>> remember why I got it,

I remember why I got the cane. It taught me my lesson. I never repeated the offence.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 25 Oct 12 at 09:17

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - No FM2R
>> I got the cane a couple of times, I know it hurt but I cant
>> remember why I got it,

I remember why I got the cane. It taught me my lesson. I never got caught again.

Looking back, the fear/thought/apprehension of getting a whacking was worse than the actual event, apart from when Miss Raffen caned me on my bare legs when I was just 9 years young!

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - bathtub tom
The cane, or even the threat of it was nothing compared to the threat of circumcision, graphically described by a 9-year-old who'd just undergone the experience.

We all made sure we did what the school nurse told us to prevent it!

99, 100, I don't care if I DO go blind?
 Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Dutchie
I never minded getting smacked by a teacher It just made me angry.It's the remarks or put downs in front of a class that hurt.Miss Raffen sounds sexy Dog.>:)

>>Miss Raffen sounds sexy Dog<<

A Warthog has got more sex appeal than said school marm , Dutchie!!

:+)

No wonder you are all such pathetic wimps. Hardly any of you were touched it seems.

Getting beaten with a cane, hairbrush or rubber cosh was an occasional hazard at three of the eight schools I attended from age 8 to age 17. Oh yes, and being hit across the knuckles with the edge of a heavy metal ruler by an old gargoyle of a nun in a convent primary class, age 6, never for any rational reason that I can remember, just for being 'bold'.

The worst thing about being beaten was the long delay, up to 24 hours, between imposition and execution of sentence. The actual punishment, although agonizing, didn't last long and was soon over. The cane and hairbrush left weals, the Jesuits' rubber cosh left black rings on your palms that faded with the pain, in about 10 minutes.

It was a badge of honour to get beaten because it meant you weren't a goody-goody. You had to try to prevent your eyes from watering in case you were suspected of blubbing. People knew it hurt and felt sympathy. Those who were never beaten - there weren't that many in my day - were rather looked down on.

I once had 6 of the best for "Dumb Insolence".
I had an old wind up gramophone and was playing, (in the common room which adjoined the Head Master's living quarters) a Les Paul number, when the Head (capital H) appeared from his private part of the building and demanded I turn the gramophone off!
The resulting look I gave him as I complied was the "dumb insolence!
I still remember the awful meat paste sandwiches and the obligatory 1/3 pint of milk, served before bedtime, as a punishment in itself!
We all looked forward to progressing to the VI form as we then had a separate detached house with studies and very basic cooking facilities so we could have, wait for it - COCOA with our sarnies!
Last edited by: Roger on Thu 25 Oct 12 at 14:20

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - commerdriver
Scottish equivalent of cane the "lochgelly" belt was just as painful as the cane but always applied to the hand usually one or two strokes, lost count of the number of time I was on the wrong end of that.

Most effective user of that when I was at school was the art teacher who, at the start of the year, placed 2 drawing pins on a desk & drove them in with one stroke of a belt, he never had to use a belt on the kids from what i remember.

As for punishment for dumb insolence anyone who has had teenage kids knows exactly that kind of look and I suspect the punishment was probably justified on that basis.

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Alanovich
I was beaten by perverted teachers at school as recently as 1982. Not long before it all stopped. I know at least one of them was getting off on it from the reaction in his lower clothing. Not that I understood it very well at the time, I was just a little to young to experience such feelings myself. I hope the swine is dead now, and I expect he is, but if I ever saw him in the street..........

Shortly after that, and after much pleading and weeping, I was returned to the state sector for my senior education. I think I would have suffered a nervous breakdown if my parents had insisted on a boarding school.
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 25 Oct 12 at 17:10

Jimmy Savile. Vol 4. - Ted

We had a teacher who was a complete sadist. He would use the wooden arm of a waiting room type chair...about 3"X1" varnished wood. I remember him dragging one of the 5th formers out to the front to receive a beating.

Needless to say, he didn't get the beating but he did get expelled for breaking the teacher's nose ! You didn't mess with 5X...we were just biding our time 'cos we all had jobs waiting. None of us could give a tuppeny fart about school.

The same teacher went on to Merchant Tailors in Liverpool and later topped himself. Result !

The chosen weapon of the Head was the strap......I once got a dose for forging a sick note. Not very well, It seems. Another hated sadist !

Ted

I don't doubt these tales of sadistic teachers who enjoyed inflicting pain, but they don't really coincide with my own experience. Certainly in the early post-war days attitudes could be robust, and some teachers were known floggers if you got out of line. But I don't think I ever caught one actually enjoying it, and I was an observant child. Lucky in my teachers too it seems.

In two of the three flogging schools I attended, the person imposing the sentence didn't do the flogging anyway. That was done by the head next morning, or in the case of the Jesuits the much feared, much satirised First Prefect. Hence the long agonizing wait... and at the other place, a day school which had spread into neighbouring residential property, you had to trudge over to the headmaster's house to get the cane, trudge back and be caned in front of the class.

I liked boarding school!

Latest Forum Posts