Non-motoring > It's only a flesh wound Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 30

It's only a flesh wound - Lygonos
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-19944833

Should he be sent back to Nepal after he gets out of hospital?

;-)

It's only a flesh wound - Manatee
I know which one I'd deport, and it wouldn't be Taitex Phlamachha.
 It's only a flesh wound - TheManWithNoName
Jeez, I don't know what's scarier- the fact he has a blade stuck in him or the fact an innocent man was attacked in the first place with a weapon. It could happen to any of us but I'm not sure all of us could have defended ourselves quite so well AND hold the attacker until police arrived.

Top bloke. Deserves a medal.
 It's only a flesh wound - devonite
Just Curious - why would the Police check him with a metal detector? These sort of hidden items are usually found by X-ray at Hospital, did they just happen to have one to hand?
 It's only a flesh wound - Dutchie
He would have had no choice to defend himself knife would have gone in his chest.

Low live trying to rob somebody.
 It's only a flesh wound - John H
>> Just Curious - why would the Police check him with a metal detector? These sort
>> of hidden items are usually found by X-ray at Hospital, did they just happen to
>> have one to hand?
>>

It is a "report", meaning: " a widely circulated statement or item of news; rumour; gossip "

The OP's BBC report says:
" ... "I saw the knife was broken somewhere but didn't realise it was inside my arm.
"Then I noticed he [the attacker] was holding the handle of the knife which I took control of and threw away." ... "

Another report makes no mention of metal detector and does not say the attacker was holding the hanlde of the knife, and says he runs an off-licence whereas BBC says "grocery shop":
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2217460/

"... He threw the attacker off then disabled him with a kick before holding on to his clothes with one arm to stop him escaping for a full 15 minutes.

The Iraq and Afghanistan veteran had no idea he had a blade in his arm until he saw the knife handle on the road.

.... ‘Eventually I threw him off me but he tried to push my wife over. I kicked him and punched him then I heard him say, “I’m in trouble now”.

‘I saw the knife handle on the floor with no blade, then noticed all the blood coming out of my arm, so I said, “You’re in trouble. And I’m in trouble too”.

‘I was holding onto his hoodie but he took it off, so I just held on to his T-shirt instead until the police arrived.’

Mr Phlamachha, a Gurkha with Maidstone’s 36 Engineers for 13 years before retiring last year to open an off-licence, added: ‘I’m proud to be a Gurkha and I’m a proud father.

‘I will do anything to protect myself and my family.’ .... "
Last edited by: John H on Mon 15 Oct 12 at 13:20
 It's only a flesh wound - Manatee
The assailant should consider himself lucky that Taitex Phlamachha wasn't sporting his Khukri.
 It's only a flesh wound - Dog
Full story:

www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2012/october/12/gurkha_stabbed.aspx
 It's only a flesh wound - John H
>> Full story:
>>
>> www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2012/october/12/gurkha_stabbed.aspx
>>

"There was lots of blood and I was in pain but it was only when I got to hospital the blade was discovered inside me."

So that's another report which makes the BBC metal detector report questionable.

It's only a flesh wound - R.P.
Guess the bottom half of the knife couldn't be found. There was a metal detector to hand so I suspect the officer helpfully used his common sense to find the missing bit !
 It's only a flesh wound - devonite
>>BBC metal detector report questionable.

If you can`t believe the BBC, who can you trust?
Should he go back to Nepal...... to live in a drug and crime ridden country ? I'd have no qualms I'd be off there on the next plane.
 It's only a flesh wound - helicopter
Well done the Gurkha.

Anybody with an ounce of common sense or who has ever watched a Jacky Chan / David Carradine movie knows you are asking for trouble taking on small wiry oriental looking gentlemen.........

It's only a flesh wound - bathtub tom
Remember when the Gurkhas 'captured' a local during the Falklands conflict?

"I don't know what they do to the Argies, but they scared the carp out of me".
 It's only a flesh wound - Harleyman
There's quite a few Gurkha families in Llanelli, several of them drive buses on the local services. Allegedly assaults on bus drivers dropped dramatically soon after they started there.
 It's only a flesh wound - NortonES2
The CTs in Malaya were not fans of the Gurkhas or their kukris.....More like a short sword than a knife.
 It's only a flesh wound - MD
Why in Heavens name would anybody assault a Bus driver?
 It's only a flesh wound - No FM2R
>>Why in Heavens name would anybody assault a Bus driver?

Says a man who's never been on the Number 25 from Donkin Hill. (probably neither of which exist now).
The obnoxious unemployed little cokeheads around here love abusing the bus drivers - especially the ones from eastern Europe whom they perceive "have taken our jobs"
It strikes me that Wales features quite highly in the thicko department for a small country.

Make the punishment fit the crime. Dispense with the ooman rites act and deal with it.

By the same token dispense with the successive governments that have allowed our manufacturing base to be eroded to a point where there is no gainful employment for the 'ordinary' man.

After all computers and streamlining have improved our lives no end, haven't they?
 It's only a flesh wound - CGNorwich
Not sure about "streamlining" a somewhat thirties idea surely but as far as computers are concerned the answer is surely a resounding yes.

Can't say I have noticed any problem with the Welsh either - why the gratuitous insult?
I wondered that as well - they're no worse around here than anywhere.
Why should it happen anywhere Rob? Tell me please. The Bus Driver should be 'your' Friend.
Streamlining is everywhere. Manufactured crap in our industry prevails. I.E. The ironmongery department for one example.
I've done the rounds my friend from Central London both as an adolescent and beyond and at age 52, too! That's not too long ago!!! Rurally also. The Bus driver is your friend. Why anyone would want to riss him off is beyond me.

All thickos should be castrated, preferably around the neckline.
 It's only a flesh wound - Zero
>> I've done the rounds my friend from Central London both as an adolescent and beyond
>> and at age 52, too! That's not too long ago!!! Rurally also. The Bus driver
>> is your friend. Why anyone would want to riss him off is beyond me.
>>
>> All thickos should be castrated, preferably around the neckline.

That only leaves us computer gurus then. Deals with the problem of the common working man nicely.
 It's only a flesh wound - CGNorwich
I fear a world run by computer gurus might not be without its problems.
 It's only a flesh wound - Dave_
>> Why in Heavens name would anybody assault a Bus driver?

Beats me, some folk will assault just about anybody.

Have you noticed how many places now have a sign up stating something along the lines of "Our staff have the right to work in a safe environment without fear of intimidation, assault or verbal abuse"?

Since when did that need stating??

That's another good thing about my job - my customers are always pleased to see me :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Mon 15 Oct 12 at 22:45
 It's only a flesh wound - Bromptonaut
>> Have you noticed how many places now have a sign up stating something along the
>> lines of "Our staff have the right to work in a safe environment without fear
>> of intimidation, assault or verbal abuse"?
>>
>> Since when did that need stating??

Noticed signs to this effect riding shotgun with lad to local 7 -11 store a few minutes ago. Suspect it's a 'Duty of Care' thing following recent legislation. As you say most people would recognise that abusing or intimidating staff was unreasonable but if you're stupid you might need it pointing out.

Defence covered.
 It's only a flesh wound - Harleyman
As some of you know, Mrs HM is a bus driver, on the Carmarthen-Llandovery service.

Whilst she's never suffered direct threats or assault herself, she does tell me that a few of her passengers can be downright rude, and that some of her colleagues have had to call the police on the odd occasion because a passenger played up.

And this is in a fairly quiet rural area.
 It's only a flesh wound - Alanovich
280, I presume? Nice route, Harleyman! Very picturesque. My Mum lives on the 166 route, other side of the valley.
Latest Forum Posts