Non-motoring > greenhouse heaters non electric. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 9

greenhouse heaters non electric. - Bigtee
Do paraffin heaters like this :www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parasene-Super-Warm-4-Paraffin-Greenhouse-Heater-Single-Burner-/330804157540?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d0576dc64

Do they run on Diesel as paraffin is expensive and red diesel is much cheaper.?

Electric is not an option it's far end of garden.
 greenhouse heaters non electric. - devonite
No! they state "for Paraffin use only" - the fumes for one thing would blacken your glass and kill your plants in next to no time! - one like the one in the link is suitable for a maximum 8x6 greenhouse thats been lined with bubble wrap. I have one, and tried it in my 10x 8 and even lined it struggled to keep the frost off, it manages the 8x6 ok tho!
 greenhouse heaters non electric. - Pat
They are useless and paraffin is expensive. I put one with a double burner on Freecycle this week and now have a tubular electric heater with a thermostat plugged in.

Pat
 greenhouse heaters non electric. - Bigtee
ok so im stuffed then or buy paraffin.
 greenhouse heaters non electric. - Ambo
Burn a gallon of hydocarbon and you get a gallon of water. This may be a good thing, depending on what you are growing. It makes oil heaters a pest inside a house.
 greenhouse heaters non electric. - bathtub tom
>>Burn a gallon of hydocarbon and you get a gallon of water.

I thought it was nearer ten!
 greenhouse heaters non electric. - madf
I have used paraffin heaters in greenhouse for 30 years..

Always use good quality paraffin, cover plants at night with a thin liner and use an inner greenhouse for extra tender plants and -5C outside is acceptable...at night.

But anything below -8C - fortunately usually mid winter so empty greenhouse_ and your seedlings are stuffed..

You really need manual intervention to switch off on warmer days during sun to save fuel..

A twin flame non blue flame heater works well in my 8x6 greenhouse.. 4 litres of paraffin a week..End Feb to early April and then odd frosts.. Costs about £30 in paraffin..

Is it worth it? 60-70 seed trays later..yes.
 greenhouse heaters non electric. - Jetski
I read years ago that the CO2 given off by paraffin heaters was beneficial to the plants.
 greenhouse heaters non electric. - devonite
CO2 is beneficial to plants cos it`s a Greenhouse Gas!
 greenhouse heaters non electric. - rtj70
CO2 is beneficial to plants as it's used in the process of photosynthesis (light, plus CO2, plus water as inputs - oxygen as output).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 17 Oct 12 at 17:38
Latest Forum Posts