Non-motoring > Snowdonia Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 29

Snowdonia - Runfer D'Hills
Perhaps one of our Welsh correspondents could give me some guidance? My son (12) has expressed a wish to walk up Mt Snowdon. School hols next week so... It's not too far for a day trip and we have all the right kit and know what we're about having previously lived in and spent a lot of time in the mountains of Scotland.

However, we've never had an outing to Snowdon. If we wanted to do that, where would be the best place to start / park? How long would we need to allow for a walk up the wee hill and back?

What else could we see or do while there?

Any suggestions very welcome except those involving sheep, wearing pointy hats or eating seaweed.
 Snowdonia - R.P.
The route I would recommend is the Railway Track (aka Llanberis Path) route. Park in Llanberis - plenty of free parking off the High Street away from restrictions and pay and display car parks. Easy path for all including the dog - easy path to follow if it goes horribly foggy (walk on the line !) plenty to see if it's nice. And most importantly the best cafe in the world Pete's Eats is there to welcome you when you come back. They reckon it's going to be nice next week, certainly warm enough tonight in the garden !

www.petes-eats.co.uk/
 Snowdonia - Zero
>> However, we've never had an outing to Snowdon. If we wanted to do that, where
>> would be the best place to start

At the bottom

/ park?

In the carpark at the bottom. Not like the DH who tried to park at the top.

How long would we need to
>> allow for a walk up the wee hill and back?

Have done it in 6 hours up and down.

>> What else could we see or do while there?

Feel your way round the stone walls of the cafe in the heavy clouds.

>>Any suggestions very welcome
follow the easy well worn "railway" path.

Edit - ignore Petes Eats - the coffee is foul.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 18 Oct 12 at 18:26
 Snowdonia - R.P.
Edit - ignore Petes Eats - the coffee is foul.

There filter is foul - but the optional Nescafe is fine -local knowledge !

There's loads to do and see - depends how much time you've got !
 Snowdonia - Bromptonaut
I'd prefer the route from the top of the pass of Llanberis by the Youth Hostel. Up the Pyg track and down by the Miners.

But you need to be there very early to claim a parking space.
 Snowdonia - R.P.
The only problem is that it's easy to go onto Crib Coch ridge which is not for the feint hearted. The Pen y Gwryd (PyG) track is like Bangor High Street on a good day - busy. BTW the tea in Pete's Eats is fime the food is beyond compare locally at the price and quantity. Locally sourced ingredients these days since Pete exited everyday control.
 Snowdonia - Bromptonaut
>> The only problem is that it's easy to go onto Crib Coch ridge which is
>> not for the feint hearted. The Pen y Gwryd (PyG) track is like Bangor High
>> Street on a good day - busy.

Take the point about risk of ending up on Crib Goch. Last time I was there the junction was signed but it may have changed. You need a map and ideally a compass or GPS but provided you're prepared and aware of wher you are and what the path should do it's not too difficult.

I went over Striding Edge with my Dad at about 12 but GC is more challenging. Did CG with a YHA group c1985; one of the lasses took the seat out of her britches on a sharp rock.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 18 Oct 12 at 21:24
 Snowdonia - MD
Opportunity Knocks!
 Snowdonia - rtj70
I see Striding Edge looks easier than Crib Coch (Red Ridge)....

Striding Edge: www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/content/images/2007/04/03/helvellyn_striding_edge_470x353.jpg

Crib Coch: www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Netstar/StarCommunity/Modules/ImageGallery/Thumbnails/43/9543/1373_3677.jpg

Although they look equally tough.
 Snowdonia - R.P.
I've done Crib Coch a couple of times - last time was in 05 with a looney neighbour who danced (more or less) along it. I have a photo of us on it somewhere. You couldn't take a dog along it
 Snowdonia - Dave_
>> I'd prefer the route from the top of the Pass of Llanberis by the Youth Hostel.
>> Up the Pyg track and down by the Miners.

>> But you need to be there very early to claim a parking space.

Park in Llanberis for free as RP says (it was 10 quid at Pen-Y-Pas last year, full up by 9am too), then get the Sherpa bus up to the YH. Walk up the Miners track and back down by the railway. A good day out.
 Snowdonia - Ted

Let the train take the strain !

Ted
 Snowdonia - R.P.
Not sure whether it's still running. I have a FB friend who crews it, he was saying that there was snow on the summit the other day !
 Snowdonia - Zero
and its 25 QUID A TICKET!
 Snowdonia - R.P.
Meant to mention that.
Thanks for all the suggestions. One more potentially silly question if I may please? I know you're not allowed to drive up and frankly who would want to but is it possible / permitted to ride a bike up Snowdon? We've "done" a few "munros" in Scotland on mountain bikes.

Edit - www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqUFUQuygvs
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 19 Oct 12 at 10:00
 Snowdonia - crocks
According to the official Snowdon website you can.
www.eryri-npa.gov.uk/visiting/Activities/Cycling/voluntary-restrictions

I haven't but let us know how you get on.
Great thanks ! We may or may not attempt that. My son is pretty good on his bike ( we offroad most weekends ) but it might be a bit of a challenge for him yet. Also I can imagine some walkers getting sniffy. Even if you treat them with the utmost courtesy they rarely return that favour to bike riders and pretend to leap out of your way in faux terror even if you're doing less than 5 mph more than 6 feet away from them !

Good site that Crocks thanks !
 Snowdonia - Bromptonaut
>> Park in Llanberis for free as RP says (it was 10 quid at Pen-Y-Pas last
>> year, full up by 9am too), then get the Sherpa bus up to the YH.
>> Walk up the Miners track and back down by the railway. A good day out.

That's a reasonable compromise. The Llanberis path is well graded and easy to follow in even the worst weather but is a bit of a slog done both ways. Starting from Pen y Pas also saves a few hundred feet of ascent.

Snow (though probably not yet lying long), ice or freezing rain are a distinct possibilty by third week in Oct. Last time we were up there at half term it was merely coolish in the valleys but the summit was covered in hoar frost.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 19 Oct 12 at 13:18
 Snowdonia - R.P.
My train driver buddy had photos of snow on the summit last week ! Really nice here today though - like a June afternoon (no rain, but sun !)

To answer Humph - you can cycle up the Llanberis Path - there is a closed season but can't remember when - I mouthed off at some lycra clad clown some years ago who clearly couldn't read. Oh and look out for the "Perygls" - they're dngerous them but there are signs everywhere.
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 19 Oct 12 at 13:34
 Snowdonia - Zero
>
>> some years ago who clearly couldn't read. Oh and look out for the "Perygls" -
>> they're dngerous them but there are signs everywhere.

Don't they nest on electricity pylons?

There are warning signs on pylons saying Pergyl and showing some poor sap being swooped on and knocked to the floor - I presume he got too close to the chicks. Terrible way to go.

Should be ok at this time of year from the flying ones, but the wooly ground Perygls might go for the dog.
 Snowdonia - crocks
Is the Welsh Perygls related to the Portuguese Perigo?
 Snowdonia - Ted

I've seen warnings about them on electricity sub-stations.......these may be more wealthy ones who don't need to tough it out on the pylons.

I've also, in spite of biking and motoring in Wales for years, seen any trace of the village of Araf....although it's marked all over the place on the roads. You come round a bend and see ' Araf, slow ' marked. You keep your eyes peeled and it's always some godawful dump with several Fs in it's name.

Ted
 Snowdonia - Zero
I spent years searching for the German town of Ausgang. Its a big enough place, every autobahn has an exit sign to it, never found it tho.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 19 Oct 12 at 16:21
 Snowdonia - Pat
I couldn't believe how many villages there were called Umleitung, I looked for them on my map but never did find any of them.

Pat
 Snowdonia - No FM2R
Long story short, living in Munich, out drinking Friday night, friend flying in to meet us, late, so we go ahead and he drives his rental car into town and parks it before joining us.

Retire home drunk, wake up next morning, need to retreive rental car.

"No worries", says Steve, "I wrote down the name of the street where I parked - Einbahnstrasse".

Its a big street and goes all over Munich, but some 25 years later we still haven't found the car.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 19 Oct 12 at 17:05
 Snowdonia - Alanovich
>> Is the Welsh Perygls related to the Portuguese Perigo?
>>

See also Italian Pericolosos, and English Yellow Perils.
 Snowdonia - corax
Look Humph, I think you better read this before getting into that Lycra.

mountainwalk.co.uk/mwblog/
Thanks Corax, but like most mountain bikers I never wear lycra. Too hot and it looks stupid. Leave that to the road bike boys who care about drag ( in so many ways I gather )

Cargos and a T-shirt, approach shoes, a snood and gloves are all you need most days. Something with plenty of pockets anyway to shove phone, car keys and a lightweight waterproof in. Loose fitting breathable clothes much prefered by the off roaders.

That trail does look a bit extreme !
 Snowdonia - corax
Only joking, I hope it goes well for you - weather looks fine next week.
Latest Forum Posts